Jeff Smith’s OTA showing and the roster

slats

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Bryce Huff is not fighting for a roster spot.

Feeney is fighting far less. The Jets fully guaranteed his $3MM contract this year. In terms of non-starters getting cut, there's no chance of that happening with Feeney. That's posters placing their own views onto the GM that saw fit to re-sign him to a fully-guaranteed contract in the first place.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Every year it seems we have a darling WR during the spring and early OTAs that everybody gets excited for, but who inevitably disappears once the pads come on.

1 hour ago, rtnelson said:

Berrios was that guy last year, no?  That worked out.

Eh Smith is going into his 4th season and in games has never stepped up. Braxton took the opportunity and ran with it, I don't even remember him making a mistake that sticks out. Smith, with all our WR injuries, had plenty of time to show something in a game. 

Some dudes practice well. just aren't gamers.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Where is it written that a tall WR cant play in this system?  Or that a tall WR doesnt help in the redzone?  Or that Mims is just a deep ball guy?  How would we know any of this off of the handful of games hes played 

Did you not see his college tape at Baylor?

Did you not watch his rookie year?

Did you not watch the horrific route running he displayed last year?  It was some of the worst performances by a wr I’ve ever seen. 

Go watch the tape and form your own opinions.  

18 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Did you not see his college tape at Baylor?

Did you not watch his rookie year?

Did you not watch the horrific route running he displayed last year?  It was some of the worst performances by a wr I’ve ever seen. 

Go watch the tape and form your own opinions.  

Yeah, I saw him at Baylor.  I saw him post Baylor.  I saw him in 8 starts as a rookie where he had some success.  
He sucked last year and had all of 23 targets.  If his failures in 21 were health related I want to know before saying he sucks because that’s what some fans here do.  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, hmhertz said:

Most jerks who post don't know that  Jeff Smith's measurables

are better than any receiver taken in the first round in 2022

image.png.54e627a48193123c93226388afe0ce08.png

Probably why he went undrafted and can’t play his way into the starting lineup that’s been decimated by injuries and little talent in his 3 seasons

We’re the jerks

george costanza burn GIF

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, I saw him at Baylor.  I saw him post Baylor.  I saw him in 8 starts as a rookie where he had some success.  
He sucked last year and had all of 23 targets.  If his failures in 21 were health related I want to know before saying he sucks because that’s what some fans here do.  

Didn’t say he sucks.  Said he wasn’t a good fit based on our scheme.  Last year’s performance was horrible though, awful actually.  His 21 targets were a result of this and the fact he couldn’t get open.  Someone recently did a video on this.  

31 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Didn’t say he sucks.  Said he wasn’t a good fit based on our scheme.  Last year’s performance was horrible though, awful actually.  His 21 targets were a result of this and the fact he couldn’t get open.  Someone recently did a video on this.  

And everyone associated with the team blames health issues from holding him back.

im saying give him a chance, there no advantage to dumping him because a couple of fans dream up a scenario where he is of no use to this team.  We saw him healthy for part of his rookie season and you think he can’t learn to improve his route running.  Ok for you.  I don’t agree

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

This is you not saying he sucks

Last year he was horrible..  there is no denying that. But again that was in our system, a system he wasn’t drafted for.    I don’t use words like sucks.  The guy is a human being who came into camp in great shape.  I get no satisfaction from tearing people down.  I think Mims would tell you how bad he was last year.  That’s just critical feedback or self assessment.  

I hope he proves all his doubters wrong but I stand by my own observational assessment that probability wise he is not suddenly going to develop these skills.  Could he, sure?  But it’s an uphill battle given the Jets newfound talent level that was chosen for this system.  Or who are a better fit for this system.  And that’s why I think he will be traded, because other teams will see he has value and upside in the right system.  And I hope he has a chance to showcase his talent this training camp and early in the preseason.

Is that fair? (Aka stop harassing me ;)

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Every year there are players that shine in OTAs and fizzle in TC I would not put too much stock into any of it

9 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Every year it seems we have a darling WR during the spring and early OTAs that everybody gets excited for, but who inevitably disappears once the pads come on.

True, but Jeff Smith isn't some unknown product.  He's been on the team since 2019 and has caught passes from 5 different Jets QB's (Wilson, Darnold, Flacco, Mike White, Josh Johnson).

And hell, @#27TheDominator has been telling us about him since Smith graduated from BC in 2018, and took him in the 2019 JN Mock Draft.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

Where do those jerks find Smiths scores for hands, route running, and clutch performance?

We're talking about a # 5 receiver here.  Just how many athletic freaks are out there who also have good hands, route running, and "clutch" capabilities who are on their team(s)' respective roster bubble?

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

True, but Jeff Smith isn't some unknown product.  He's been on the team since 2019 and has caught passes from 5 different Jets QB's (Wilson, Darnold, Flacco, Mike White, Josh Johnson).

And hell, @#27TheDominator has been telling us about him since Smith graduated from BC in 2018, and took him in the 2019 JN Mock Draft.

wake me up when he actually does something on game day.

• Post of the Week 1

21 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Every year there are players that shine in OTAs and fizzle in TC I would not put too much stock into any of it

I totally get this, but it’s not like Smith is a UDFA this year. He’s a guy the team knows, likes, and seems to be giving a real shot to. As @hmhertz points out, the dude is highly athletic. He also entered college as a QB, and was converted to “WR,” but was really more of a gadget player getting about as many rushes as catches as well as a few pass attempts a year. He’s probably exactly the type of player who might take a while to develop. 

20 hours ago, JH Jet Fan said:

Nah.  There's room for both.

QB (3) - Wilson, Flacco, and White

RB (3) - Hall, Cater, and Coleman/Knight

WR (6) - Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Smith, and Mims

TE (4) - Uzomah, Conklin, Rucket, and Wesco

OL(9) - Becton, AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson, Fant, Mitchell, Feeney, Hebrig, and Vet OT

That's 25.

There’s probably room for six, maybe. I don’t think they do it at the expense of a RB, though. I’d think it would have to be a TE or OL that they trim. Or maybe even a QB. Put the HoF’er on the practice squad? This is going to be a rushing football team, they’re gonna carry four backs. There’s also the potential for a FB. 

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I cannot imagine a scenario where Wesco makes the team. It will be a battle between Cager and Yeboah. Agree with most everything else. If I had to guess Cager is a surprise make and Yeboah we attempt to practice squad again.

All three were on the team last year, and Wesco saw more time on both offense and specials than either one. His ability to line up and block in the backfield helps him. Cager is still a project as a converted WR, and I suspect that the coaches will be pretty focused on Ruckert when it comes to developing a player. That’s obviously gonna be a position group to watch. 

• Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We're talking about a # 5 receiver here.  Just how many athletic freaks are out there who also have good hands, route running, and "clutch" capabilities who are on their team(s)' respective roster bubble?

We are comparing an undrafted player to a player that some thought was a first rd talent.

And we are doing this bc the OP brought up his athletic traits vs our other receivers.

We need receivers that get open and “ receive”, not guys with athletic skills that don’t translate to success on the field.  He has had many opportunities, yet hasn’t produced.   That’s why he is on the bubble.   Wilson, Moore, Davis and Mims are the better WR prospects when healthy, despite any RAS score.

53 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Like when he caught 7 passes on 9 targets for 81 yards against Denver with Darnold as his QB?  That one?

lol

or how he followed that up going 3 catches on 11 target, after his all time game. stats are fun. Jeff could have showed his worth last year. if there ever was an opportunity for him to get on the field, the WR depleted and injured 2021 Jets WR core was his chance. the guy that did Berrios. 

maybe he actually shows something this year, I doubt it. making a few plays in the spring means all of nothing really. 

right now this is my best guess and final roster. I do think there is very good chance Bryce Hall gets traded in August prior to final cut down. Also I am only doing 24 offense and 24 defense leaving couple spots that I think are up for grabs.

QB - Zack, Flacco,White

RB - Hall,Carter,Coleman,Knight

TE - CJ,Conklin(FB), Ruckert

WR - Moore,Davis,Wilson,Berrios,Mims

OL - Fant,Laken,Connor,AVT,Becton,McDermott,Herbig,Feeney,Max

24 off

DL/DE - Martin,Lawson,JFM,Solomon,Clemons,Marshall,Rankins,Q,Huff,JJ

LB - Nas,Sherwood,CJ,Harris,Quincy

S - Whitehead, Pinnock, Joyner, Davis

CB - Reed, Echols,Sauce,Hall,MCII

24 def

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

The dude has 0 touchdowns.

You've scored more than him, lol

57 minutes ago, Stark said:

lol

or how he followed that up going 3 catches on 11 target, after his all time game. stats are fun. Jeff could have showed his worth last year. if there ever was an opportunity for him to get on the field, the WR depleted and injured 2021 Jets WR core was his chance. the guy that did Berrios. 

maybe he actually shows something this year, I doubt it. making a few plays in the spring means all of nothing really. 

Again, we’re talking about the # 5 WR and bubble spot, not a starter.  You asked me for a game where he showed something and I did, with an awful QB under center no less. 

Find me an alternative # 5 WR out there that would be available and an upgrade.  Ourlads depth charts are a good place to get started on that research.  I’ll hang up and listen.  

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

We are comparing an undrafted player to a player that some thought was a first rd talent.

And we are doing this bc the OP brought up his athletic traits vs our other receivers.

We need receivers that get open and “ receive”, not guys with athletic skills that don’t translate to success on the field.  He has had many opportunities, yet hasn’t produced.   That’s why he is on the bubble.   Wilson, Moore, Davis and Mims are the better WR prospects when healthy, despite any RAS score.

Smith contributes on special teams.  Mims doesn’t.  That’s highly important for your WR5 spot.