Jeff Smith’s OTA showing and the roster

slats

Good thoughts. Another skill group they kept more than they needed last year is RB. Perine is the guy everybody thinks is gone but he’s the one who plays specials there as well. Will be some interesting decisions. I think Smith is safe. They can be young with the backups at LB and in the secondary.

• Upvote 1

I think of those 6 WRs, the odds of one getting hurt in training camp/being on IR is very high.   Add to that the likelihood of Mims imploding.  So I don’t think the Jets are practically choosing between Mims and Jeff Smith.  That is good for Mims. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think of those 6 WRs, the odds of one getting hurt in training camp/being on IR is very high.   Add to that the likelihood of Mims imploding.  So I don’t think the Jets are practically choosing between Mims and Jeff Smith.  That is good for Mims. 

I think Mims is battling every WR in the league who might potentially be cut, too. If Smith can stay ahead of him, he’s a lock. 

If the competition is anywhere close, I can't see them picking Smith over Mims simply because they still think Mims' has starting potential.  They've had three years to fully evaluate Smith from being on the practice squad in 2019 through his on and off status on the roster in 2021 and 2022.

They likely see Smith as someone who will continually be a bottom of the roster/special teams guy.  They made every excuse in the book for Mims last year, because they still think he can be a top line player.

Now if Smith just absolutely blows things away in TC and in the pre-season games, (like I'm talking Victor Cruz type training camp) that could change things.  But a few good days here and there for Smith, like in OTAs, is not going to be the deciding factor between the two WRs.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

If the competition is anywhere close, I can't see them picking Smith over Mims simply because they still think Mims' has starting potential.  They've had three years to fully evaluate Smith from being on the practice squad in 2019 through his on and off status on the roster in 2021 and 2022.

They likely see Smith as someone who will continually be a bottom of the roster/special teams guy.  They made every excuse in the book for Mims last year, because they still think he can be a top line player.

Now if Smith just absolutely blows things away in TC and in the pre-season games, (like I'm talking Victor Cruz type training camp) that could change things.  But a few good days here and there for Smith, like in OTAs, is not going to be the deciding factor between the two WRs.

Agreed. If it’s even close, Mims gets the spot.

Personally I am not making much out of Smith or anyones performance right now. Smith tends to be up and down in real games. Smith going to have to show me something in at least pre-season game before I believe in him. 

Smith is just a guy could easily find someone better. 

• Upvote 2

Definitely going to be some tough decisions between WR/TE. Smith and Berrios contribute on special teams and are quality backup WRs.

I like the fact Mims came back determined and we heard positive reviews of him. It’ll be difficult to cut him. I know I wouldn’t. Keep 6 WRs, 4 TEs, 9 OL, 2 QBs and 4 RBs.

Nah.  There's room for both.

QB (3) - Wilson, Flacco, and White

RB (3) - Hall, Cater, and Coleman/Knight

WR (6) - Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Smith, and Mims

TE (4) - Uzomah, Conklin, Rucket, and Wesco

OL(9) - Becton, AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson, Fant, Mitchell, Feeney, Hebrig, and Vet OT

That's 25.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

Ty Johnson and Tevin Coleman both played more specials than Perine last year. I still think he’s gone, lol. 

I have a block in my head where I don’t think of committee type kickoff return snaps as special teams haha. Especially with how rarely we see kickoff returns. I assume that’s where those two were used.

I think he adds a special teams value more comparable to tight ends as referenced in your OP than Johnson and Coleman, I think those guys are returners so it’s different, but he could absolutely be in trouble too.

• Upvote 1

For a couple years I've felt like the Jets have been doing a good job cultivating competition and bringing in talent towards the bottom of the roster.  The Jets real problem has been getting guys at the top of the roster, finding that WR1, that CB1, a TE1, etc.  The WR5 vs WR6 conversations for this depth chart have always been some of the best debates each August.  It'll be similar this year.  Jeff Smith seems very solid and the type of guy you'd like to see get that last WR roster spot.  But there will be a lot of competition for it.  We know what the top of the WR depth chart looks like now.

We all suspect (or know) that Corey Davis' time here is limited.  He's a 6'3" veteran who is still trying to fulfill the promise he showed when first drafted, but with his $$$ this is likely his last season with the Jets.  Finding that type of guy for 2023, is important.  The Jets have some quick, talented, dynamic guys now... but they're small.  Elijah Moore, Berrios, even Garrett Wilson are all between 5'9" and 6'0."  I think Mims at 6'3" and Smith at 6'1" will be fighting for that WR5 spot.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, JH Jet Fan said:

OL(9) - Becton, AVT, McGovern, Tomlinson, Fant, Mitchell, Feeney, Hebrig, and Vet OT

That's 25.

Connor McDermott doesn't make the team?  He's OT3 right now.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Smith and Mims are competing for the last roster spot with guys at every position .

It’s not a question of “Do we keep 5 or 6 WRs?”  The question is “Do we keep 6 WRs or do we keep 6 Edge rushers or 7 Cornerbacks, or 4 TEs, 4 DTs, or 5 safeties?”

Mims and Smith are fighting Lawrence Cager, Dan Feeney, Conner McDermott, Jonathan Marshall, Bryce Huff, Javelin Guidry, Will Parks and others for the last 1 or 2 spots 

Bryce Huff is not fighting for a roster spot.

1 hour ago, JH Jet Fan said:

That's 25.

I cannot imagine a scenario where Wesco makes the team. It will be a battle between Cager and Yeboah. Agree with most everything else. If I had to guess Cager is a surprise make and Yeboah we attempt to practice squad again.

3 hours ago, slats said:

I think Mims is battling every WR in the league who might potentially be cut, too. If Smith can stay ahead of him, he’s a lock. 

The CS still believes in Mims’ talents, at least publicly.  I’ve also read that Mims and Smith balled out at the early camps.  I think Mims with his size provides ZW something that none of the other WRs have if he becomes what the FO thought they were getting.  Under that scenario Smith has a place on STs.  Of course it could be a completely different story when you line up a CB in front of them and the rest of a D

If they both continue to play well it’s a great problem to have and given Smiths ST history will work itself out

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think JD can get something for Mims in a trade but not for Smith.  Our current GM seems to have more and more good problems to solve.    

I do not think the adoration and praise of Mims is posturing or hype for a draft pick. I think they really believe in him, and as I said before his health last year was not food poisoning it was something more serious.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

25 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think JD can get something for Mims in a trade but not for Smith.  Our current GM seems to have more and more good problems to solve.    

Completely agree.  I just don’t think Mims is a good fit for this system.  He’s not a precise route runner, he’s a deep ball guy who doesn’t create a lot of separation but can win jump balls.  We saw how he could be effective in that type of system his rookie year but that is no longer here.

My prediction is that the Jets will trade him to a team in love with his size & speed combo that believes he’s a natural fit for their offensive system.  Or at least willing to take a lower risk flyer.  It might be a situation where they trade us a surplus LB or DT.  Win win for both teams.  Otherwise, I see 4-6th rounder range.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I agree STs give Smith an edge over Mims.  Does sound like both guys had solid springs.  If he cotninues to play well through the summer, can you get Mims through to the practice squad.  Would be nice to have both guys available in case of injury to any of the top 4. 

I am still holding out hope for Mims.  I loved the pick two years ago, and I hate being wrong all the time.

Keep both. Find specialized plays where they can contribute. Mims was a #2 pick. Still to early to give up on him with all the nonsense he went through. Really don’t want to see Mims get cut and break out with a divisional rival against us. Give it another year. Corey Davis could be cut after this year with a 660k cap hit. He’s obviously underperformed and would have to light it up this year for JD to pay him in 2023. No way JD keeps him if he has another mediocre season for another 10M. If Mims can progress this season, he offers that insurance if Davis is cut. 

• Post of the Week 1

28 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

He wasn't before they signed a free agent and spent a 1st and a 4th rounder at his position.  Now he is 

I still do not think he is even remotely. He has one of the highest PRWR ratings in the entire NFL. With an upgraded secondary there is no way they are giving up on that talent especially since he is a former UDFA that needed time to develop.

19 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Completely agree.  I just don’t think Mims is a good fit for this system.  He’s not a precise route runner, he’s a deep ball guy who doesn’t create a lot of separation but can win jump balls.  We saw how he could be effective in that type of system his rookie year but that is no longer here.

My prediction is that the Jets will trade him to a team in love with his size & speed combo that believes he’s a natural fit for their offensive system.  Or at least willing to take a lower risk flyer.  It might be a situation where they trade us a surplus LB or DT.  Win win for both teams.  Otherwise, I see 4-6th rounder range.

Where is it written that a tall WR cant play in this system?  Or that a tall WR doesnt help in the redzone?  Or that Mims is just a deep ball guy?  How would we know any of this off of the handful of games hes played 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I still do not think he is even remotely. He has one of the highest PRWR ratings in the entire NFL. With an upgraded secondary there is no way they are giving up on that talent especially since he is a former UDFA that needed time to develop.

I think we all had high hopes for this guy but really what has he done to justify thinking his roster spot isnt even remotely in jeopardy?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

Every year it seems we have a darling WR during the spring and early OTAs that everybody gets excited for, but who inevitably disappears once the pads come on.

Berrios was that guy last year, no?  That worked out.

• Upvote 1