Jeff Smith’s OTA showing and the roster

slats

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Smith contributes on special teams.  Mims doesn’t.  That’s highly important for your WR5 spot.  

True but its not like he is an All Pro special teamer.   If he ends up cut I dont see our special teams suffering.   Id bet there are other players that were on last years special teams that got cut or werent resigned.  

You always want to keep back ups with the potential to start and play well if necessary.   So far Smith hasnt been that guy.   If he is this year, good for him, and even better for the Jets.

43 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

True but its not like he is an All Pro special teamer.   If he ends up cut I dont see our special teams suffering.   Id bet there are other players that were on last years special teams that got cut or werent resigned.  

You always want to keep back ups with the potential to start and play well if necessary.   So far Smith hasnt been that guy.   If he is this year, good for him, and even better for the Jets.

You don’t want a pure special teamer in that WR5 role, either.  Hence why Smith has stuck so long.  He offers more upside than most WR5s.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, we’re talking about the # 5 WR and bubble spot, not a starter.  You asked me for a game where he showed something and I did, with an awful QB under center no less. 

Find me an alternative # 5 WR out there that would be available and an upgrade.  Ourlads depth charts are a good place to get started on that research.  I’ll hang up and listen.  

Smith contributes on special teams.  Mims doesn’t.  That’s highly important for your WR5 spot.  

this is a thread about Smith's great OTA showing... dudes not great. 

you know who was a great UDFA.  the guy in Carolina that most JETS fans dislike for some reason. an he was at least a WR 2 playing with that awful QB and Josh McCown.

nighty night. 

my point to all this was Smith had a chance last year to show something and he didn't. there was a bubble spot WR that did show out and got paid, that does play ST and will be a fixture on O moving forward. 

Smith is a JAG. in the perfect scenario can give you the game of his life.

4 minutes ago, Stark said:

this is a thread about Smith's great OTA showing... dudes not great. 

you know who was a great UDFA.  the guy in Carolina that most JETS fans dislike for some reason. an he was at least a WR 2 playing with that awful QB and Josh McCown.

nighty night. 

my point to all this was Smith had a chance last year to show something and he didn't. there was a bubble spot WR that did show out and got paid, that does play ST and will be a fixture on O moving forward. 

Smith is a JAG. in the perfect scenario can give you the game of his life.

So you use a QB to demonstrate why Smith isn’t a good WR5.  All righty then.

i asked you to name some names of who would be an upgrade.  Care to provide someone?  

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So you use a QB to demonstrate why Smith isn’t a good WR5.  All righty then.

i asked you to name some names of who would be an upgrade.  Care to provide someone?  

care to explain why Smith is the best WR5 in the league?

would you like a list of guys that haven't signed yet that are better WR's than Smith and potentially an upgrade at WR in general. Jesus your stuck on some borderline ST guy that barely plays WR when half the WR group is out for injury reasons. 

80 playing the Jeff Smith thread like he does mafia.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Again, we’re talking about the # 5 WR and bubble spot, not a starter.  You asked me for a game where he showed something and I did, with an awful QB under center no less. 

Find me an alternative # 5 WR out there that would be available and an upgrade.  Ourlads depth charts are a good place to get started on that research.  I’ll hang up and listen.  

Lol, I'm not even arguing to cut the guy. I'm just saying I'll get excited when he breaks out in real action.

And, no, a career best game of 80 yards and no TDs is nothing to get excited about.

Now calm down and go rub one out.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Stark said:

would you like a list of guys that haven't signed yet that are better WR's than Smith and potentially an upgrade at WR in general. Jesus your stuck on some borderline ST guy that barely plays WR when half the WR group is out for injury reasons. 

80 playing the Jeff Smith thread like he does mafia.

13 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Lol, I'm not even arguing to cut the guy. I'm just saying I'll get excited when he breaks out in real action.

And, no, a career best game of 80 yards and no TDs is nothing to get excited about.

Now calm down and go rub one out.

Please.  You both are going out of your way to make this a thing too.  I'm just destroying your silly arguments because its fun. 

Any hand-wringing over the WR5 spot isn't worthwhile, including from me.  So I'm just like...why not keep the guy who has been here since 2019 and the coaches clearly seem to like?  Why create a hole that really isn't one?

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Please.  You both are going out of your way to make this a thing too.  I'm just destroying your silly arguments because its fun. 

Any hand-wringing over the WR5 spot isn't worthwhile, including from me.  So I'm just like...why not keep the guy who has been here since 2019 and the coaches clearly seem to like?  Why create a hole that really isn't one?

you've yet to destroy anything. 

I can list a group of unsigned WR's better than Jeff Smith. and you could too. stop

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh my god. I can't even with you. I never said to cut the guy or that I think he's not worth a roster spot.

Your brain desperately needs mafia.

Stop Saying Words Shut Up GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Oh my god. I can't even with you. I never said to cut the guy or that I think he's not worth a roster spot.

Your brain desperately needs mafia.

Stop Saying Words Shut Up GIF by Leroy Patterson

always that @$$hole stark and spoot picking on 80 lol

• Haha 2

57 minutes ago, Stark said:

Since you and @Spoot-Face don't feel like putting in the work on this one, I'll do it for you.

Here's the list of bubble/special teamer WR5s/WR6s (where applicable) on current NFL depth charts:

• BUF:  Jake Kumerow (23 career catches); Isaiah Hodgins (0 career catches, 2020 6th rounder)
  • MIA:  Trent Sherfield (37 career catches) 
  • NE:  Tre Nixon (0 career catches, 2021 7th rounder)
  • BAL:  Tylan Wallace (2 career catches, 2021 4th rounder); Binjimen Victor (0 career caches, 2020 UDFA)
  • CIN:  Stanley Morgan (5 career catches, 2019 UDFA)
  • PIT:  Miles Boykin (56 career catches)
  • HOU:  Connor Wedington (0 career catches, 2020 UDFA)
  • IND:  Mike Strachan (2 career catches, 2021 7th rounder); Dezmon Patton (2 career catches, 2020 6th rounder)
  • JAC:  Jamal Agnew (0 career catches, converted CB); Tim Jones (0 career catches, 2020 UDFA)
  • TEN:  Dez Fitzpatrick (5 career catches, 2021 4th rounder); Racey McMath (2 career catches, 2021 6th rounder)
  • DEN:  Kendall Hinton (15 career catches); Seth Williams (1 career catch, 2021 6th rounder)
  • KC:  Daurice Fountain (2 career catches; 2018 5th rounder)
  • LVR:  Mack Hollins (56 career catches); DJ Turner (2019 UDFA)
  • LAC:  Jalen Guyton (59 career catches); Michael Bandy (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • DAL:  Noah Brown (39 career catches); Simi Fehoko (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • NYG:  C.J. Board (17 career catches); Richie James (0 career catches; 2018 7th rounder)
  • PHI:  Greg Ward (88 career catches); John Hightower (10 career catches)
  • WAS:  Cam Sims (49 career catches); Dyami Brown (12 career catches)
  • CHI:  Dante Pettis (52 career catches)
  • DET:  Quintez Cephus (35 career catches)
  • GB:  Juwann Winfree (8 career catches); Amari Rodgers (4 career catches, 2021 3rd rounder)
  • MIN:  Bisi Johnson (45 career catches)
  • ATL:  KhaDarel Hodge (30 career catches)
  • CAR:  Brandon Zylystra (30 career catches)
  • NO:  Deonte Harris (0 career catches; 2019 UDFA)
  • TB:  Cyril Grayson (11 career catches)
  • AZ:  Christian Blake (28 career catches); Antoine Wesley (19 career catches)
  • LAR:  Ben Skowronek (11 career catches); J.J. Koski (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • SF:  Marcus Johnson (51 career catches)
  • SEA:  Penny Hart (8 career catches)

By my count, Jeff Smith has more career catches than 32 guys on that list above.

28 minutes ago, Stark said:

you've yet to destroy anything. 

I can list a group of unsigned WR's better than Jeff Smith. and you could too. stop

None of those guys can contribute on special teams, hence why they haven't been signed yet.  

Check out my list of rostered WR5/WR6's above.  Lot's of winners on that list!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since you and @Spoot-Face don't feel like putting in the work on this one, I'll do it for you.

Here's the list of bubble/special teamer WR5s/WR6s (where applicable) on current NFL depth charts:

• BUF:  Jake Kumerow (23 career catches); Isaiah Hodgins (0 career catches, 2020 6th rounder)
  • BAL:  Tylan Wallace (2 career catches, 2021 4th rounder); Binjimen Victor (0 career caches, 2020 UDFA)
  • IND:  Mike Strachan (2 career catches, 2021 7th rounder); Dezmon Patton (2 career catches, 2020 6th rounder)
  • JAC:  Jamal Agnew (0 career catches, converted CB); Tim Jones (0 career catches, 2020 UDFA)
  • TEN:  Dez Fitzpatrick (5 career catches, 2021 4th rounder); Racey McMath (2 career catches, 2021 6th rounder)
  • DEN:  Kendall Hinton (15 career catches); Seth Williams (1 career catch, 2021 6th rounder)
  • LAC:  Jalen Guyton (59 career catches); Michael Bandy (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • DAL:  Noah Brown (39 career catches); Simi Fehoko (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • NYG:  C.J. Board (17 career catches); Richie James (0 career catches; 2018 7th rounder)
  • GB:  Juwann Winfree (8 career catches); Amari Rodgers (4 career catches, 2021 3rd rounder)
  • LAR:  Ben Skowronek (11 career catches); J.J. Koski (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)

By my count, Jeff Smith has more career catches than 32 guys on that list above.

Okay, I get it. You're just trolling me.

Reaction GIF

u keep a list of this stuff?

21 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

sure u do...man I tho I had issues

There used to be a time on JN when people did far more detailed research than that and it was encouraged.  

I do a 20-30 minute search of ourlads depth charts and pull some simple player stats to post on a sports message board and that's now considered weird.  

I hate Millenials.  Or whatever generation you're in.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There used to be a time on JN when people did far more detailed research than that and it was encouraged.  

I do a 20-30 minute search of ourlads depth charts and pull some simple player stats on a sports message board and that's now considered weird.  

I hate Millenials.  

13717x7990040524912ffc1a9042353b30a4b84a

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I do a 20-30 minute search of ourlads depth charts and pull some simple player stats to post on a sports message board and that's now considered weird.  

i like this one better

qxigub5oyyn01.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

i consider myself generation neutral...so watch what u say there nerd!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Hate to break it to you then:  Like it or not you're in one of the groups.  :( 

oh btw - ourlads suck donkey dick...they are the worst...I know lots poster here blabber on with their analysis - that is just silly banter and they have no clue

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

oh btw - ourlads suck donkey dick...they are the worst...I know lots poster here blabber on with their analysis - that is just silly banter and they have no clue

OK.  Point me in the direction of a site that is both accurate and updates depth charts regularly and I'll gladly use that one.