Jeff Smith’s OTA showing and the roster

slats

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Since you and @Spoot-Face don't feel like putting in the work on this one, I'll do it for you.

Here's the list of bubble/special teamer WR5s/WR6s (where applicable) on current NFL depth charts:

• BUF:  Jake Kumerow (23 career catches); Isaiah Hodgins (0 career catches, 2020 6th rounder)
  • MIA:  Trent Sherfield (37 career catches) 
  • NE:  Tre Nixon (0 career catches, 2021 7th rounder)
  • BAL:  Tylan Wallace (2 career catches, 2021 4th rounder); Binjimen Victor (0 career caches, 2020 UDFA)
  • CIN:  Stanley Morgan (5 career catches, 2019 UDFA)
  • PIT:  Miles Boykin (56 career catches)
  • HOU:  Connor Wedington (0 career catches, 2020 UDFA)
  • IND:  Mike Strachan (2 career catches, 2021 7th rounder); Dezmon Patton (2 career catches, 2020 6th rounder)
  • JAC:  Jamal Agnew (0 career catches, converted CB); Tim Jones (0 career catches, 2020 UDFA)
  • TEN:  Dez Fitzpatrick (5 career catches, 2021 4th rounder); Racey McMath (2 career catches, 2021 6th rounder)
  • DEN:  Kendall Hinton (15 career catches); Seth Williams (1 career catch, 2021 6th rounder)
  • KC:  Daurice Fountain (2 career catches; 2018 5th rounder)
  • LVR:  Mack Hollins (56 career catches); DJ Turner (2019 UDFA)
  • LAC:  Jalen Guyton (59 career catches); Michael Bandy (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • DAL:  Noah Brown (39 career catches); Simi Fehoko (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • NYG:  C.J. Board (17 career catches); Richie James (0 career catches; 2018 7th rounder)
  • PHI:  Greg Ward (88 career catches); John Hightower (10 career catches)
  • WAS:  Cam Sims (49 career catches); Dyami Brown (12 career catches)
  • CHI:  Dante Pettis (52 career catches)
  • DET:  Quintez Cephus (35 career catches)
  • GB:  Juwann Winfree (8 career catches); Amari Rodgers (4 career catches, 2021 3rd rounder)
  • MIN:  Bisi Johnson (45 career catches)
  • ATL:  KhaDarel Hodge (30 career catches)
  • CAR:  Brandon Zylystra (30 career catches)
  • NO:  Deonte Harris (0 career catches; 2019 UDFA)
  • TB:  Cyril Grayson (11 career catches)
  • AZ:  Christian Blake (28 career catches); Antoine Wesley (19 career catches)
  • LAR:  Ben Skowronek (11 career catches); J.J. Koski (0 career catches, 2021 UDFA)
  • SF:  Marcus Johnson (51 career catches)
  • SEA:  Penny Hart (8 career catches)

By my count, Jeff Smith has more career catches than 32 guys on that list above.

Lol

man. There are a bunch of unsigned WRs that actually can play WR that would be an upgrade. You’re choosing to ignore that. Also. Signing a guy and saying you may have to play ST is not limited to a few guys in the league. Most could do it. 

36 minutes ago, Stark said:

Lol

man. There are a bunch of unsigned WRs that actually can play WR that would be an upgrade. You’re choosing to ignore that. Also. Signing a guy and saying you may have to play ST is not limited to a few guys in the league. Most could do it. 

Again, name names or GTFO.  i did my part on that.  Your turn. 

Any decent WRs out there who are also good on STs are already on rosters.  The FA’s you like are pure WRs, I guarantee it.  

Some podcaster I listened to today predicted that the Jets would play up/showcase Mims and then trade him for a 3 or 4, thus keeping Jeff Smith and Calvin Jackson.  I can see JD doing that.  

You can add Mike White to that list too.  

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, varjet said:

Some podcaster I listened to today predicted that the Jets would play up/showcase Mims and then trade him for a 3 or 4, thus keeping Jeff Smith and Calvin Jackson.  I can see JD doing that.  

You can add Mike White to that list too.  

Oh man.  It’d be awesome if Mims went for 250 yards and 4 TDs against a 3rd string D in a preseason game, with White throwing it to him, lol.  

DISPLAY DENZEL

@The Crusher

• Upvote 1

Connor Hughes the oracle, in The Athletic:

“Mims, who fell out of favor with the coaching staff last season, started making plays in the later workouts. He made a tremendous one Wednesday when he went up high for a contested pass, making the grab while staying in bounds.“

11 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Sorry to bring this back up, but @Jetsfan80 sent me here.

Why is Mims ceiling so much higher than Smith's?   Cause he was a 2nd?  Mims has top level physical attributes.  So does Smith.  Mims is a little taller and had a much better college career.  Not sure the 2" of height make much difference, but I am sure the college career is now meaningless.  This strikes me like the Becton Wirfs discussion.  Yes Becton's ceiling is sky high, ut Wirfs was as a good a "workout warrior" as has ever existed at tackle. 

Mims is a high ceiling guy, but so is Smith.  I doubt either reaches their ceiling and Mims is probably still more likely to, FWIW.  Comparing their RAS, Mims is higher at 9.75 to 9.55,  Smith has a "poor" size great, but is "great" in agility and explosion with "elite" speed.  Mims has "great" size with "elite" speed and explosion, but his agility is only "okay."  Agility may be more important for this offense based on their love of Garrett Wilson, Moore, Berrios and Carter.  The main difference in size is arm length which is where Smith falls down.

Both had a great opportunity to stand out last season and didn’t do much.

Mims looks like a guy who could be the deep 50/50 ball WR the Jets need.  I think that’s why he gets more attention - he might fill a need.  

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Both had a great opportunity to stand out last season and didn’t do much.

If you're gonna blame Zach Wilson's circumstances for his performance last year, then you also need to turn that around and consider the variables that impacted Mims and Jeff Smith:  Rookie QB, Rookie HC, Rookie OC.  

Granted, Mims and Smith were not rookies.  But certainly if Wilson takes the "next step" as you expect him to next season, then Mims and Smith have a significantly greater chance of "standing out" in 2022.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If you're gonna blame Zach Wilson's circumstances for his performance last year, then you also need to turn that around and consider the variables that impacted Mims and Jeff Smith:  Rookie QB, Rookie HC, Rookie OC.  

Granted, Mims and Smith were not rookies.  But certainly if Wilson takes the "next step" as you expect him to next season, then Mims and Smith have a significantly greater chance of "standing out" in 2022.

Very fair and true.  Both WRs show promise and deserve the close look and chance to make the roster.

It’s positive that neither would be a shock to become contributors… I would not have said the same at the end of the season, so the trend is good lol.  

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't smith one of those tweener type wr's?  not too fast, not too tall, good not great hands and so on.  i can't see him being kept over mims unless mims lays a real egg in camp.

Not too fast?  He ran a ******* 4.36.  He is not  a tweener anything.  He is an excellent athlete with short arms and questionable hands.

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, rangerous said:

isn't smith one of those tweener type wr's?  not too fast, not too tall, good not great hands and so on.  i can't see him being kept over mims unless mims lays a real egg in camp.

2 out of 3.  He's definitely small (but that's certainly not a problem in this system) and has questionable hands (easily his biggest issue), but there's no doubt he's VERY fast.

jeff-smith-ras-17754.png?resize=806,522&

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, rangerous said:

Likely one of the 5 fastest players on our team.

Lineup: A Davis, MC2, G Wilson, J Smith, D Mims, E Moore and see who wins.

We have a lot of fast guys on our team. So that’s not easy feat. Our 220lbs running back runs sub 4.4. ?