Jump to content

The Year of Change! How Defensive Backfield Can Make Jets D Relevant Again.


32EBoozer
 Share

Recommended Posts

Tight coverage on receivers, coupled with a better pass rush, will force opposing QB's into bad situations:  holding the ball too long, thus making bad throws, scrambling for their lives, or eating dirt.  This is how it should play out.  This is how I expect it to play out.  And I'll leave it at that.  I'm not one who regularly visits the dark side.  Go Jets!

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Tight coverage on receivers, coupled with a better pass rush, will force opposing QB's into bad situations:  holding the ball too long, thus making bad throws, scrambling for their lives, or eating dirt.  This is how it should play out.  This is how I expect it to play out.  And I'll leave it at that.  I'm not one who regularly visits the dark side.  Go Jets!

Welcome to the board. Exciting time to be a NYJ fan

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don't claim to know a thing about defenses but it seems to me that saleh's defense doesn't rely as much on a shut down type corner as other schemes do.  it seems like he wants the fast line backers, nickel backs and safeties to handles the stuff up front and then use the dline to pressure the qb into making a quick or bad throw.  but i do think picking a top corner in the first round was a good move.  sauce should be able to alleviate some of the pressure on the secondary and buy some additional time for the dline to make a play.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

i don't claim to know a thing about defenses but it seems to me that saleh's defense doesn't rely as much on a shut down type corner as other schemes do.  it seems like he wants the fast line backers, nickel backs and safeties to handles the stuff up front and then use the dline to pressure the qb into making a quick or bad throw.  but i do think picking a top corner in the first round was a good move.  sauce should be able to alleviate some of the pressure on the secondary and buy some additional time for the dline to make a play.

Regardless of scheme, the CBs are the biggest area of favoritism for the opposing O by the refs since they go flag happy with holding especially and many PI cases for the NFLs opposing QBs. So, to my point, with CBs that show very true solid coverage, it makes it too much of a stink for refs to keep throwing calls for fouls that are not there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/18/2022 at 9:43 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Pleeeeease let that statement actually be true for the first time since 2010 (and the first 16 weeks of 2015).

 P l e e e e e a s e

Pleeeeeease Pleeeeeease Pleeeeeease

This will replace J E T S Jets Jets Jets chant at the Meadowlands😛

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, rangerous said:

i don't claim to know a thing about defenses but it seems to me that saleh's defense doesn't rely as much on a shut down type corner as other schemes do.  it seems like he wants the fast line backers, nickel backs and safeties to handles the stuff up front and then use the dline to pressure the qb into making a quick or bad throw.  but i do think picking a top corner in the first round was a good move.  sauce should be able to alleviate some of the pressure on the secondary and buy some additional time for the dline to make a play.

The one thing Saleh said about that is needing solid man-man on 3rd and short so as to get off the field. Jets we’re horrible giving 5 yard cushion  on on 3rd & 2. Sauce will be inside their jockstrap 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

The one thing Saleh said about that is needing solid man-man on 3rd and short so as to get off the field. Jets we’re horrible giving 5 yard cushion  on on 3rd & 2. Sauce will be inside their jockstrap 

Exactly.  And let's not forget about Jordan Whitehead now underneath at SS when they're playing cover 3.  I was always on the edge of my seat in sheer panic in defensive 3rd down situations.  I fully expect that feeling to continually diminish as the season progresses.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coverage downfield was usually decent last year and/or at least it didn’t feel like we were getting killed over the top.

It turns out we couldn’t stop the quick passing game, or screens.  Hoping the secondary (and LBs) rally better, take better angles and miss fewer tackles.

I’m guessing a lot of teams will focus on quick game vs the Jets since our d-line aggressively gets up the field.  Quick game neutralizes the pass rush and fits the skill sets of QBs like Tia and Mac.  To make progress in the division, defending the quick game will be key.

Ironically, our defense may not see a consistent top notch quick game in practice since that’s an area of opportunity for the Jets offense.

On a positive note, complimentary pass rush and secondary ball skills/ competence should be improved in the downfield pass game, perhaps allowing for better success defending the shorter stuff… put simply we shouldn’t have to protect our secondary as much this year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/19/2022 at 3:43 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

Pleeeeease let that statement actually be true for the first time since 2010 (and the first 16 weeks of 2015).

Geno had a perfect passer rating against Miami 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...