Albert Breer article excerpt on Zach Wilson.

Mogglez

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They DID have a Plan B.  They just refused to put him out there because he made Plan A look bad and they didn't want to hurt his feelings.

White was more like plan D. Think he was after Morgan at the beginning of camp. 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, jgb said:

I want Zach to start every game this season even if he is a trainwreck. We cannot be having this same debate next off season.

I expect better but not the big leap.  

so get to a meat locker and punch some beef.   This one probably has lots of rounds.  

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

On Connor Hughes's podcast last week he said something very similar.

This offense is designed to offer the QB as much help as possible (but it still very nuanced and complicated) and there's basically one defensive player he needs to reads to make decisions (something like that)

But Zach was watching hours of film of Brady and Brees and trying to read safeties, LB's (basically the entire defense) and it was just too much to take on.  He should have been focused simply on the one read.

He wants to be those guys and good for him  - but that can take years to get to that point.  Simplify, take what the D gives through the system and progress as a player.  When he has the basics down without thinking - then move to phase 2...but he has a long way to go to just have those basics down.

He also said it seems Flacco helped him understand this as well as when they brought in Beck.  Which I think is why we saw progress when he got back.

Note: They did also say - no QB has been younger than Zach in this system - typically a system with more experienced QB's (except RGIII and he was a different kind of player)

One point that JN NEVER seems to take into account is that Zach could read a college defense like that and very few QBs can.  The ceiling is sky high and that’s why guys like Aaron Rodgers are saying it’s going to take time but he’s going to be really good.  

1 hour ago, jgb said:

No plan B. Boy was I killed for banging that drum last off season.

More than that.   They burned their ships so guys like you had nothing to pine for lol.  

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

They DID have a Plan B.  They just refused to put him out there because he made Plan A look bad and they didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Uhhhh.  

Confused Emma Stone GIF by SAG Awards

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Coaching at its simplest is teaching.  The best coaches and teachers understand that most people will never quite understand the concept as good as they do, but understand how to make sure their subjects absorb as much as they can.  People learn differently.

The absolute hardest thing for coaches is finding that fine line of teaching people everything they can absorb, without overloading them.  This could be your typical off-season fluff piece.  It could easily be a true look at into some revelations the coaches had about Zach’s point of information overload.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That uncomfortable moment when the trash you brought in to preserve your golden boy's confidence outperforms him...

Andy Samberg Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

so get to a meat locker and punch some beef.   This one probably has lots of rounds.  

I'll let someone else tenderize the beef. When it's worth eating, I'll pull up a chair.

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jgb said:

That uncomfortable moment when the trash you brought in to preserve your golden boy's confidence outperforms him...

Andy Samberg Reaction GIF

Lol.  It was a nice game.   The Bengals didn’t adjust and Mike White EVEN WITH that game throws a pick every 18 throws.  

You guys are smoking crack to fuel your backup love delirium.   There’s nothing there yet.  Maybe later, but Mike White wasn’t a rookie either.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Coaching at its simplest is teaching.  The best coaches and teachers understand that most people will never quite understand the concept as good as they do, but understand how to make sure their subjects absorb as much as they can.  People learn differently.

The absolute hardest thing for coaches is finding that fine line of teaching people everything they can absorb, without overloading them.  This could be your typical off-season fluff piece.  It could easily be a true look at into some revelations the coaches had about Zach’s point of information overload.

at this level they also video tape every player every practice and coaches like McDermott live in their office and sleep on the office couch.  Why do they do that at night when no players or coaches are around?  They are watching each and every player to see if they are getting those teachings you talk about or need maybe need more help.  Guys like McDermott and Belicheat have no lives, no small kids or hot wives to go home to.

What Saleh was trying to do in changing scheme on both sides of the ball using essentially same personal plus a ton of new rookies was a monumental task and in my opinion they failed.  The team was not ready for the 1st game and it took a lot of games for them to be ready.

Now I don't blame them for having lives but i doubt they were doing what McDermott was doing.  I do think they should have more coaching assistants though because these players had to have been making mistakes in practice too.

48 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Lol.  It was a nice game.   The Bengals didn’t adjust and Mike White EVEN WITH that game throws a pick every 18 throws.  

You guys are smoking crack to fuel your backup love delirium.   There’s nothing there yet.  Maybe later, but Mike White wasn’t a rookie either.  

And yet when Wilson still was unavailable, the coaching staff went out of their way to bench him in favor of Flacco.  

I’d say my theory has some legs to it.  Yours…perhaps not so much. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Well Mike White was saddled with the same terrible situation that we have been told Golden Boy was in so how do we know he can’t also turn into a FQB? Whoa… maybe the Jets have 2 FQBs!!!!

Hit The Woah Freaking Out GIF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And yet when Wilson still was unavailable, the coaching staff went out of their way to bench him in favor of Flacco.  

A pick in every 18 throws and injured and unable to complete 2/3 of his starts.

Have you ever watched Whites all throw videos? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This is encouraging especially the part about how they simplified things. This year is going to be a good one.

Thanks Tom.  Your 2005, 2012, 2014 and 2019 reference is a good one.  Those QBs underachieved big time.  

11 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

A pick in every 18 throws and injured and unable to complete 2/3 of his starts.

Have you ever watched Whites all throw videos? 

The Mike White stuff is hilarious. He is really bad. I can't believe he's getting 2.5 mil. Good for him snagging that money with "first round talent" according to Mike White himself. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Now do Wilson’s numbers

Sorry.  I was too generous to Mike White.  He threw a pick every 16.5 attempts.   8 picks on 132 attempts.   5 TDs.  

Zach Wilson. 11 ints on 383 attempts.  1 in 34.8 attempts was picked off.  9 TDs.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Sorry.  I was too generous to Mike White.  He threw a pick every 16.5 attempts.   8 picks on 132 attempts.   5 TDs.  

Zach Wilson. 11 ints on 383 attempts.  1 in 34.8 attempts was picked off.  9 TDs.  

Oh wow

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, rtnelson said:

This is my thinking too.  Probably understood the offense very well on the whiteboard but at play speed he still had to think causing a sort of yips on the short throws when he was panicking that he was taking too long, because early in the season there were plenty of instant pressures when the OL couldnt pick up a stunt.

My take was that according to Flacco, ZW  was TOO worried and preoccupied about what the defense was doing.  Seems he was saying that the offensive scheme has strengths the defense can't defend against IF you're concentration more on the scheme.    

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

My take was that according to Flacco, ZW  was TOO worried and preoccupied about what the defense was doing.  Seems he was saying that the offensive scheme has strengths the defense can't defend against IF you're concentration more on the scheme.    

Yeah and it’s tough for Zach not to do that because he could in college.  He’s gotta baby step his way to that in the NFL though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Well since “sample size” apparently means how many free cubes of cheese you get from that little plastic tray on top of the deli counter in the supermarket, consider:

Josh Johnson 1 INT ever 45 attempts, Joe Flacco zero INTs on 42 attempts.

OMG the 2021 Jets had FOUR FQBs!!!

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Yeah and it’s tough for Zach not to do that because he could in college.  He’s gotta baby step his way to that in the NFL though.

I hit for .450 in little league

• Confused 2

14 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Agree on everything except the Flacco thing.   I hate when teams expect veterans to be quasi coaches.   We saw that with marky mark and Brunnell.  It’s the coaches job to coach not anyone else, if they can’t do the job then find someone who can, which it looks like the team did this year. 

While I agree, I'm just saying that's what Connor said on his podcast - just that he explained to Zach, that he doesn't need to know as much as he's trying to learn - and just focus on the one read the coach is telling him.

I think he saw Mike White do that too - and realized to not try and be superman.  It's clear there was a difference in his game post injury.   We'll see when the season starts.

4 hours ago, jgb said:

Well since “sample size” apparently means how many free cubes of cheese you get from that little plastic tray on top of the deli counter in the supermarket, consider:

Josh Johnson 1 INT ever 45 attempts, Joe Flacco zero INTs on 42 attempts.

OMG the 2021 Jets had FOUR FQBs!!!

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

132 is a fine sample size statistically.  Maybe you want to change that to “he can improve” 

But the biggest point of all is take the L on that one haters.   Cause it was funny to get destroyed that bad.  “Now do Zach” and Zach’s were way better LMAO.  

10 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

No. 

Zach was hurt on 10/24. The Jets then traded for Flacco on 10/25. White started the next three games, getting knocked out of the last two, while they got Flacco up to speed in the offense (which is why Josh Johnson came in in Indy). Once they were comfortable with Flacco, he was their #2 QB. And according to everyone watching practices, he still is. 

There’s no conspiracy. Mike White is not what some of you think he is, and certainly not in the coaching staff’s eyes. 

• Upvote 4

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is encouraging especially the part about how they simplified things.

I'm honestly curious Max, what is it you find especially encouraging about having to simplify or dumb-down our offensive system?

Maybe I am overlooking something, but having to reduce the full system (which is what simplification is) to suit your QB doesn't strike me as something encouraging.  We'll be running "less of an offense" than we otherwise would have sans simplification.

I suppose the odds the QB will "get" the new simplified system may be higher, but is that not offset by not running the full system, with the full scope of plays/formations/etc.?

10 hours ago, Maxman said:

This year is going to be a good one.

I very much hope so.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Agree on everything except the Flacco thing.   I hate when teams expect veterans to be quasi coaches.   We saw that with marky mark and Brunnell.  It’s the coaches job to coach not anyone else, if they can’t do the job then find someone who can, which it looks like the team did this year. 

Well it's better than the alternative.

"It's worth mentioning that Flacco told him to **** off."

26 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm honestly curious Max, what is it you find especially encouraging about having to simplify or dumb-down our offensive system?

Maybe I am overlooking something, but having to reduce the full system (which is what simplification is) to suit your QB doesn't strike me as something encouraging.  We'll be running "less of an offense" than we otherwise would have sans simplification.

I suppose the odds the QB will "get" the new simplified system may be higher, but is that not offset by not running the full system, with the full scope of plays/formations/etc.?

I very much hope 

I don’t think they’re dumbing down anything. I think that quote near the bottom here is what they’re talking about. There was a lot of chatter last year about how hard Zach was working on his own. That they sent him some stuff, and he kept requesting more and more and they delivered. And, “that’s probably where we failed him.” Rookie staff didn’t have the wisdom to tell him, “no, just get this bit down, then we’ll do the next.” This year, they’re trying to get him to think less. Doesn’t sound like they’re installing any less of the offense, just that they’re doing it in small bites in limited practice time so that the concepts come more naturally to him. They’re trying to get him to focus on his job in the offense, and not worry about what the defense is doing. That really doesn’t raise any red flags for me. 

If anything, the playbook will probably change (read: grow) some with the addition of all the TEs. 

image.jpeg

20 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Crazy to think that the coaches had more time in the offseason to watch and study film vs. preparing the team each week for the next opponent.  This is a mind blowing revelation and I agree, shame on them for not figuring this out during the season.  I mean, what a waste!  With all that talent last year and that experience on the coaching staff, they should have been able to figure this out immediately and get that loaded roster back on track for the Super Bowl! 

Yes but their plan now is the same one I called for when he was coming back from injury. Much like Rudy Guilini’s definition of art (“If I can make it, it ain’t art) — if I know what to do before a professional NFL HC, he is not good at his job.