Jump to content

Albert Breer article excerpt on Zach Wilson.


Mogglez
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 6/21/2022 at 10:44 AM, Maxman said:

Yawn.

A first year coordinator who is very young, lost the veteran coach on his staff tragically. They adjusted and the 2nd half of Zach's rookie season shows that because his turnovers stopped and he did what they asked.

They made more changes, infused the roster with talent and some people still look for things to complain about.

Double yawn.

That didn't stop them from throwing him in as the starter when Zach wasn't ready and the very young first year coordinator wasn't ready.  

They didn't really adjust.  Zach got hurt and had a chance to sit and learn.  Not by design at all.  Pure luck.  The injury wasn't that bad and he got to sit.  

He also wasn't good by any NFL standards after he came back and stopped turning the ball over.  He was awful on a comparative basis to NFL QB play.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2022 at 9:52 AM, Warfish said:

I'm honestly curious Max, what is it you find especially encouraging about having to simplify or dumb-down our offensive system?

Maybe I am overlooking something, but having to reduce the full system (which is what simplification is) to suit your QB doesn't strike me as something encouraging.  We'll be running "less of an offense" than we otherwise would have sans simplification.

I suppose the odds the QB will "get" the new simplified system may be higher, but is that not offset by not running the full system, with the full scope of plays/formations/etc.?

I very much hope so.

Because simplifying doesn’t mean dumbing down.  Simplifying is also removing plays from the playbook your QB isn’t comfortable with and adding plays he is comfortable with.  This happens with every new QB in an offense.  Favre did it when he came to the Jets, had them make a big overhaul of plays he didn’t want.  It’s especially less significant when talking about a rookie trying to learn how to read defenses and his offense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

thanks sport. I had him on ignore, then figured I would lift it to give it a shot and see if he took some pepto bismol or something but apparently not

"Sport"?  You think you're Judge Smails or something? Lol.

Bit of entirely unsolicited and likely unwanted advice....sport.....if you find the need to put someone on ignore, the odds are it's best for all parties, them, you, and the rest of us, to just keep them there.  No one ever changes here.  If you couldn't stand or handle them or their style or viewpoint before, you likely never will.  Every time I think my own ignored peeps are worth another shot, I come to regret it.

You're welcome, chap.  Jolly good, jolly good.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

probably because everyone knows your opinion, and its not enough for you to state your opinion, you want to bash everyone over the head repeatedly until they share your opinion on every post. Its annoying AF

Most of these discussions are with the same group of posters on the other side that escape your ire. Methinks you don’t like my point of view, not the repetition thereof, good sir.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because simplifying doesn’t mean dumbing down.  Simplifying is also removing plays from the playbook your QB isn’t comfortable with and adding plays he is comfortable with.  This happens with every new QB in an offense.  Favre did it when he came to the Jets, had them make a big overhaul of plays he didn’t want.  It’s especially less significant when talking about a rookie trying to learn how to read defenses and his offense 

This is the NFL not college fooball where teams win by recruiting superior talent than the competition.  

The object of an NFL O is to attack NFL defenses that change on a weekly basis.  Attack, score points, create field position and TOP.   Having a complex or simple playbook, comfortable or uncomfortable plays for the QB doesn't matter one bit.  The opposition on a weekly basis is going to look at tape and adjust to make the QB uncomfortable.  

The need for an elite QB in the NFL is their ability to adjust and dictate no matter how uncomfortable the defense makes it for them.   The OC job is to facilitate that goal.   Systems may or may not do it.  Which is why marrying yourself to a system may be a recipe for dissaster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Warfish said:

"Sport"?  You think you're Judge Smails or something? Lol.

Bit of entirely unsolicited and likely unwanted advice....sport.....if you find the need to put someone on ignore, the odds are it's best for all parties, them, you, and the rest of us, to just keep them there.  No one ever changes here.  If you couldn't stand or handle them or their style or viewpoint before, you likely never will.  Every time I think my own ignored peeps are worth another shot, I come to regret it.

You're welcome, chap.  Jolly good, jolly good.

There are two types of Jets fans. Those that take out their frustrations by criticizing the team. And those that take out their frustrations by criticizing those that criticize the team.

Each may decide which makes more sense to them.

And while people change slowly, if at all, viewpoints do. When there is reason to be sunny about this team, I will be. But ever since losing the Raleigh Little League Championship game in 1988, I haven’t believed magical thinking (or in this case, posting) will have any impact on what will be.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/21/2022 at 4:28 PM, RedBeardedSavage said:

It's good to have opposing viewpoints. Makes the board fun.

I'd hate for this place to become one giant "Thank you, Joe Douglas!" circlejerk.

But there's definitely a certain type of Jets fan...

 

 

Wait,  "Thank you Joe Douglas" wasn't sarcasm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

There are two types of Jets fans. Those that take out their frustrations by criticizing the team. And those that take out their frustrations by criticizing those that criticize the team.

Each may decide which makes more sense to them.

Weird how you left out the ones who just like to endlessly, repeatedly poke at some fans until they react and then cry victim just as endlessly and repeatedly. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

This is the NFL not college fooball where teams win by recruiting superior talent than the competition.  

The object of an NFL O is to attack NFL defenses that change on a weekly basis.  Attack, score points, create field position and TOP.   Having a complex or simple playbook, comfortable or uncomfortable plays for the QB doesn't matter one bit.  The opposition on a weekly basis is going to look at tape and adjust to make the QB uncomfortable.  

The need for an elite QB in the NFL is their ability to adjust and dictate no matter how uncomfortable the defense makes it for them.   The OC job is to facilitate that goal.   Systems may or may not do it.  Which is why marrying yourself to a system may be a recipe for dissaster. 

And yet NFL QBs all across the league run offenses where their preferences in the playbook are taken into consideration.  It happened with Favre on the Jets, it’s happened and still is happening with Brady and Tampa.  
I read on this board and others all the time that good coaches adapt their systems to fit their personnel, they don’t force their players to adapt to a system.  Now we’re going to argue that QBs need to learn a system and if they don’t like a play it’s too bad, deal with it.  And that’s not how it works, especially for an elite QB like a Brady or Mahmoud who get what they feel comfortable with

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And yet NFL QBs all across the league run offenses where their preferences in the playbook are taken into consideration.  It happened with Favre on the Jets, it’s happened and still is happening with Brady and Tampa.  
I read on this board and others all the time that good coaches adapt their systems to fit their personnel, they don’t force their players to adapt to a system.  Now we’re going to argue that QBs need to learn a system and if they don’t like a play it’s too bad, deal with it.  And that’s not how it works, especially for an elite QB like a Brady or Mahmoud who get what they feel comfortable with

Adapting to QB is supposed to be the hallmark of the Shanahan system.   

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Systems may or may not do it.  Which is why marrying yourself to a system may be a recipe for dissaster. 

Does this apply here? The system they’re implementing is supposed to cater to each players’ strengths. I mean, that’s right out of LaFluer’s mouth. We’re running the 49ers system, but we did it last year without focusing on the TE and FB and handing the ball to a WR 100 times. Seems to me the whole benefit of this system is its flexibility and willingness to adapt based on personnel. 
 
And it’s not like every team in the league isn’t running some sort of system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, slats said:

Weird how you left out the ones who just like to endlessly, repeatedly poke at some fans until they react and then cry victim just as endlessly and repeatedly. 

The jets have been the least successful team for over a decade. Lots of reasons to whine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

"Sport"?  You think you're Judge Smails or something? Lol.

Bit of entirely unsolicited and likely unwanted advice....sport.....if you find the need to put someone on ignore, the odds are it's best for all parties, them, you, and the rest of us, to just keep them there.  No one ever changes here.  If you couldn't stand or handle them or their style or viewpoint before, you likely never will.  Every time I think my own ignored peeps are worth another shot, I come to regret it.

You're welcome, chap.  Jolly good, jolly good.

Look, jgb liked your post, good job

  • Thumb Down 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, slats said:

Does this apply here? The system they’re implementing is supposed to cater to each players’ strengths. I mean, that’s right out of LaFluer’s mouth. We’re running the 49ers system, but we did it last year without focusing on the TE and FB and handing the ball to a WR 100 times. Seems to me the whole benefit of this system is its flexibility and willingness to adapt based on personnel. 
 
And it’s not like every team in the league isn’t running some sort of system. 

The NFL is about tape and constant adjustment.  It's not just based on your personal.  It's based on the team you're playing any particular week.

There are very few super teams in the NFL that can dictate what they want to do without friction from the other team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because simplifying doesn’t mean dumbing down.  Simplifying is also removing plays from the playbook your QB isn’t comfortable with and adding plays he is comfortable with.  This happens with every new QB in an offense.  Favre did it when he came to the Jets, had them make a big overhaul of plays he didn’t want.  It’s especially less significant when talking about a rookie trying to learn how to read defenses and his offense 

Favre sucked on the Jets.  In a 19 year starting career it was arguably one of his bottom 3 seasons in the NFL.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Most of these discussions are with the same group of posters on the other side that escape your ire. Methinks you don’t like my point of view, not the repetition thereof, good sir.

there are many with your POV, they don't all feel the need to spread diarrhea on every thread that has a shred of optimism

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Favre sucked on the Jets.  In a 19 year starting career it was arguably one of his bottom 3 seasons in the NFL.  

And yet he had the team poised to win the division until blowing his arm out and stubbornly refusing to opt out to heal.  Whether we think he sucked or didn’t isnt the point though.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The NFL is about tape and constant adjustment.  It's not just based on your personal.  It's based on the team you're playing any particular week.

There are very few super teams in the NFL that can dictate what they want to do without friction from the other team.

Uh… no kidding? Do you think the Jets won’t be gameplanning this year? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Uh… no kidding? Do you think the Jets won’t be gameplanning this year? 

Not on D where a Monkey can run the scheme.  Lafleur probably will despite the HC.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think there's always going to be excuses for poor performances - Every team has issues. I do think the Jets being so young both on and off the field was going to be a challenge for Zach mentally - Taking as long as they did to bring in a veteran under those circumstances was bizarre and frankly arrogant. The problem was too many of Zach's mistakes last year were basic - too basic to be attributed to a complex playbook or upheaval with the coaching. Knapp's tragic death wasn't what was causing him to throw wide open short passes into the dirt. That's purely a fundamentals thing.

I think everyone's confidence is pretty shaken about Zach, whether they admit it or not. At no point in the season did that BYU accuracy show up, we seen very little of the "Mormon Mahomes" type plays we were hoping for and for the majority of the time he looked, at best, limited. He has to beat the odds now - The rookies that look like that, especially in the last 10 years don't usually become top starters - Josh Allen the only real notable exception but even he looked special as a runner early on. 

Obviously you'd expect to see him more in control and comfortable with the system in year two but more than anything he needs to start taking what teams are giving him - Punishing lax defensive plays at every opportunity - Lord knows we see it against the Jets defence most weeks. When he's making the basic plays he can build on that platform and hopefully the highlight reel stuff will follow. The glaring misses have to go. He needs to make the simple stuff look easy because if he's going to be struggling with that in year two it's hard to believe he'll ever become what he was drafted to be. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/20/2022 at 9:52 PM, Jetsfan80 said:


And yet when Wilson still was unavailable, the coaching staff went out of their way to bench him in favor of Flacco.  

I’d say my theory has some legs to it.  Yours…perhaps not so much. 

My theory is that Shane has deputized you.  Lol

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

there are many with your POV, they don't all feel the need to spread diarrhea on every thread that has a shred of optimism

Why are optimists so thin skinned?  It seems counter intutive.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Why are optimists so thin skinned?  It seems counter intutive.  

who says Im an optimist?? and what does being exhausted by thread diarrhea have to do with thin skin? I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on Wilson, but find it incredibly obnoxious to spray every thread with the same nonsense. To each their own, that is why i ignored jgb, and will again, and for the record I used to like him a lot, but hes become a straight up troll now

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Flea Flicking Frank said:

who says Im an optimist?? and what does being exhausted by thread diarrhea have to do with thin skin? I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other on Wilson, but find it incredibly obnoxious to spray every thread with the same nonsense. To each their own, that is why i ignored jgb, and will again, and for the record I used to like him a lot, but hes become a straight up troll now

Pretend you didn't write this drivel.  Re-read it and tell me again you aren't thin skinned. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

there are many with your POV, they don't all feel the need to spread diarrhea on every thread that has a shred of optimism

You've now posted like 5 times in quick succession about how much you hate repetition.

This is supposed to be fun. If I'm inhibiting that for you, you should definitely put me back on ignore. Can't please everyone!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

Why are optimists so thin skinned?  It seems counter intutive.  

Because they aren't really as confident in their optimism as they want to be. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

l honestly, im old enough to not really care about what some random cat on the internet thinks about me, carry on.

I would have never pegged you as a fellow Dobie Gillis fan.   I dig the cat thing.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...