Jump to content

Trevor Lawrence (probably didn’t) lose 65% of total rookie contract on Bitcoin


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I see a bunch of people getting mad at paid actors for being quiet during the crypto crash.

What should they do apologize? What's next someone apologizes because they don't actually have proof that 3 out of 4 dentists endorsed the toothpaste they told us to buy?

The outrage is funny. Actors would tell you to do pretty horrible things if they were getting 7 figures to do it. This isn't anything new.

I think the difference is that with the toothpaste scenario the worst outcome is a root canal because the toothpaste didn’t work. I’m not sure what the exact line is between false marketing and a Ponzi scheme but this is more pernicious. If one uses their star power to call people pussies for not gambling at a casino, he’s not exactly responsible for their decisions but he did shill for it and that matters.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I see a bunch of people getting mad at paid actors for being quiet during the crypto crash.

What should they do apologize? What's next someone apologizes because they don't actually have proof that 3 out of 4 dentists endorsed the toothpaste they told us to buy?

The outrage is funny. Actors would tell you to do pretty horrible things if they were getting 7 figures to do it. This isn't anything new.

I understand where you're coming from, but I feel this is different considering it's an investment. 

This isn't "oh, that toothpaste? Yea its overpriced and Crest Pro Health is cheaper and more effective."

Idk, it does seem like there's a lot more grift these days?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think the difference is that with the toothpaste scenario the worst outcome is a root canal because the toothpaste didn’t work. I’m not sure what the exact line is between false marketing and a Ponzi scheme but this is more pernicious. If one uses their star power to call people pussies for not gambling at a casino, he’s not exactly responsible for their decisions but he did shill for it and that matters.

Yeah it was definitely aggressive. The bold. The Brave and all that.

Would love the equivalent like you said. Calling people out for not gambling more at casinos that would be great.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know where I stand on the whole crypto thing. I own some but a very very small amount. I certainly know where I stand on fiat money ( complete nonsense). All that said, the schadenfreude on this is weird to me. And I agree, give it a bit and see where it is.  Then again, I have a problem with authority, so...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Maxman said:

I see a bunch of people getting mad at paid actors for being quiet during the crypto crash.

What should they do apologize? What's next someone apologizes because they don't actually have proof that 3 out of 4 dentists endorsed the toothpaste they told us to buy?

The outrage is funny. Actors would tell you to do pretty horrible things if they were getting 7 figures to do it. This isn't anything new.

The kind of people who get mad at paid actors shilling products are the same ones who are influenced by them. In summation: dummies.

  • Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I don't know where I stand on the whole crypto thing. I own some but a very very small amount. I certainly know where I stand on fiat money ( complete nonsense). All that said, the schadenfreude on this is weird to me. And I agree, give it a bit and see where it is.  Then again, I have a problem with authority, so...

crypto is just getting started really. it's going to have a real future. it's just very early. the ones who invest in the crypto currencies that will actually make it are going to be very rich (some already are obviously)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

crypto is just getting started really. it's going to have a real future. it's just very early. the ones who invest in the crypto currencies that will actually make it are going to be very rich (some already are obviously)

So basically it’s the dot com boom. Most will get wiped out but those that correctly/luckily pick the winners will profit mightily.

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

I see a bunch of people getting mad at paid actors for being quiet during the crypto crash.

What should they do apologize? What's next someone apologizes because they don't actually have proof that 3 out of 4 dentists endorsed the toothpaste they told us to buy?

The outrage is funny. Actors would tell you to do pretty horrible things if they were getting 7 figures to do it. This isn't anything new.


I suspect they have some research backing up the 3 out of 4 dentist claim. 
 

I have no strong view on crypto but if it fails it will be pretty silly when we look back on it.   Even greater silliness than the Dutch tulip scandal. 
 

the original and early adopters of Bitcoin have a trillion dollars worth of reason to promote bitcoin.   Who cares if they give each actor 10mm to promote bitcoin.   They need to have buyers of their illiquid assets. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, neckdemon said:

crypto is just getting started really. it's going to have a real future. it's just very early. the ones who invest in the crypto currencies that will actually make it are going to be very rich (some already are obviously)

The early adopters are already on paper fabulously wealthy.  They need liquidity. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, neckdemon said:

crypto is just getting started really. it's going to have a real future. it's just very early. the ones who invest in the crypto currencies that will actually make it are going to be very rich (some already are obviously)

Seems to me that the real appeal of crypto is its anonymity, that it can be as discreet as cash payments but over an electronic platform. It’s also attractive to people who like to see themselves as outside the government, using their own money choice while spurning their county’s. The fact that it blew up in value certainly didn’t hurt, lol. But I think the US seizures of some crypto ransom money (https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-seizes-6-1-million-in-cryptocurrency-in-ransomware-crackdown-11636407681) have kinda blown up the major cases for the currency. It’s not as secure as originally believed, and the government clearly intends to get a handle on any so-called currency that can be used for illegal activity. The fact that it hasn’t proven to be the hedge against inflation that it claimed to be, I’m sure, is also disconcerting. I’m really not sure what its future holds. I’m not placing any bets on it at this time. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bitcoin is very volatile. You have to plan on holding it for at least 4 years if you buy it. Looking at it in short time frames can show dramatic losses but there has never been a 4 year period where a loss occurred. It's all on paper unless these guys decided to wait for the price to drop out and sell. I would hope that anyone selling them on accepting bitcoin as salary would have gone over this with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I see a bunch of people getting mad at paid actors for being quiet during the crypto crash.

What should they do apologize? What's next someone apologizes because they don't actually have proof that 3 out of 4 dentists endorsed the toothpaste they told us to buy?

The outrage is funny. Actors would tell you to do pretty horrible things if they were getting 7 figures to do it. This isn't anything new.

That's like getting mad at actors who do a paid add for a medication that causes side effect.

They are literally people who are paid to pretend something.   Don't get mad that they pretended, that is what acting is, it is playing "Make Believe" at a higher level.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, CSNY said:

The guy who stated he’s “ rich as FUCH” Adam Gase. 

No, Gase was *OUR* loss.  A GREAT big one.  That crime eclipsed those of Michael Miklen, Ivan Boesky, Jordan Belfort & Bernie Madoff combined.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, chirorob said:

That's like getting mad at actors who do a paid add for a medication that causes side effect.

They are literally people who are paid to pretend something.   Don't get mad that they pretended, that is what acting is, it is playing "Make Believe" at a higher level.

Irritable bowel syndrome 101 is now required in all acredited  Method acting school.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

I see a bunch of people getting mad at paid actors for being quiet during the crypto crash.

What should they do apologize? What's next someone apologizes because they don't actually have proof that 3 out of 4 dentists endorsed the toothpaste they told us to buy?

The outrage is funny. Actors would tell you to do pretty horrible things if they were getting 7 figures to do it. This isn't anything new.

If you're investment strategy is driven purely by what an actor tells you in a commercial, you're an idiot, and you deserve to lose all your money.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, THE BARON said:

No, Gase was *OUR* loss.  A GREAT big one.  That crime eclipsed those of Michael Miklen, Ivan Boesky, Jordan Belfort & Bernie Madoff combined.  

Mmmmmmm interesting take. If Gase had such an innovative offense it’s a wonder that I haven’t heard of him getting another NFL job Would have figured he would have been hired by now 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jet9 said:

 I certainly know where I stand on fiat money ( complete nonsense). 

people who use the word "Fiat" currency are announcing in public they just don't understand modern economics

what's your suggestion, go back to the gold standard? 

cmon

money is always worth what people think it's worth and it doesn't matter if that money is made of gold, paper, beads or digital bytes

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

people who use the word "Fiat" currency are announcing in public they just don't understand modern economics

what's your suggestion, go back to the gold standard? 

cmon

money is always worth what people think it's worth and it doesn't matter if that money is made of gold, paper, beads or digital bytes

 

Bit, How in the world did you not get a big fat check when they named it "Bitcoin" all those years ago?  Shoulda got something....

 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Mmmmmmm interesting take. If Gase had such an innovative offense it’s a wonder that I haven’t heard of him getting another NFL job Would have figured he would have been hired by now 

Umm... I think you misunderstood my post.  The Jets LOST when Gase was hired.  That was the crime.  Mr. Coffee saddled the Jets with a con man that we all saw coming.  THAT was the crime.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

People who are interested in the craziness of early crytpo and the black market should look into " The Silk Road" and Ross William Ulbricht.

The mid to late 2000s were pretty nuts. Peak internet  capabilities to wild west ratio.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

people who use the word "Fiat" currency are announcing in public they just don't understand modern economics

what's your suggestion, go back to the gold standard? 

cmon

money is always worth what people think it's worth and it doesn't matter if that money is made of gold, paper, beads or digital bytes

 

Not necessarily incorrect but not a nuanced enough take. 

The true problem with fiat lies in how its easily manipulated in a command economy. I.E. the current fed reserve to M1 money supply scenario we are living in. Arguments could be made as to why that relationship currently exists and one could postulate that it's fighting fire with fire when it comes to Chinas agressive inflationary economic model.

A monetary supply with a physical backing or standard is less easily manipulated, but is still manipulated.

If you look at rise and fall scenarios for countries and empires banking plays a major role. A switch from a monetary supply with a hard physical  backing to one of strictly fiat with no real underlying structure than the Fiat (faith) in the currency is the sign of burgeoning  economic growth at that moment but also a huge red flag for the inevitable death spiral of the entity in question in my opinion. Without hard stops mankind has shown time and time again it will blow through most failsafes.

Bitcoin is an interesting case study because instead of a hard physical backing it has a hard digital backing of 21 million bitcoin total or 2,100,000,000,000,000 Satoshis ( I think thats enough zeros 🙃

The whole system going digital is worriesome in its own right. If for some reason the internet is irretrievably down or electronics are fried doesnt matter how much you've invested in BTC. Optimism Bias is not prudent with the current state of the flames.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

people who use the word "Fiat" currency are announcing in public they just don't understand modern economics

what's your suggestion, go back to the gold standard? 

cmon

money is always worth what people think it's worth and it doesn't matter if that money is made of gold, paper, beads or digital bytes

 

We disagree so that means I don't know what I'm talking about? K. Maybe look into the buying power of a dollar since the invention of the Fed and get back to me. Not sure what's wrong with having your money actually based on something rather than what some suit from the Uni-Party tells you. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

We disagree so that means I don't know what I'm talking about? K. Maybe look into the buying power of a dollar since the invention of the Fed and get back to me. Not sure what's wrong with having your money actually based on something rather than what some suit from the Uni-Party tells you. 

Why is gold worth anything? It's shiny soft and conducts electricity 

It's not suitable for tools or weapons 

It's because of tradition. There's no intrinsic value for anything 

As for the value of the US dollar yes it makes sense that it would fall since the peak of the American empire in the 1960s 

Just because a currency goes up or down does not mean that it has no value. In fact currency can only inflate or deflate it never stays exactly stable 

Bitcoin is not a currency. It's a risk investment like a tech stock 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Why is gold worth anything? It's shiny soft and conducts electricity 

It's not suitable for tools or weapons 

It's because of tradition. There's no intrinsic value for anything 

As for the value of the US dollar yes it makes sense that it would fall since the peak of the American empire in the 1960s 

Just because a currency goes up or down does not mean that it has no value. In fact currency can only inflate or deflate it never stays exactly stable 

Bitcoin is not a currency. It's a risk investment like a tech stock 

Go back to 1913.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...