Bleacher Report- best players after first round

Looking at Hall vs. Walker I see Walker faster 40 by .01 but Hall (4.39) having the better explosion #s. 
Vertical= 40” vs.  34”

Broad= 10’2” vs. 10.6”

Add to that better vision and patience waiting for his blockers and I say RB at pick # 36 was not a waste. It’s all about Zach and his development. 

Ruckert listed as the Most Versatile and Most Pro Ready excites me. 

Clemons seems to need “coaching up” to achieve higher end performance goals on par with his physical tools. I would love to know what his 40 time is. 

Overall great draft for JD

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Looking at Hall vs. Walker I see Walker faster 40 by .01 but Hall (4.39) having the better explosion #s. 
Vertical= 40” vs.  34”

Broad= 10’2” vs. 10.6”

Add to that better vision and patience waiting for his blockers and I say RB at pick # 36 was not a waste. It’s all about Zach and his development. 

Ruckert listed as the Most Versatile and Most Pro Ready excites me. 

Clemons seems to need “coaching up” to achieve higher end performance goals on par with his physical tools. I would love to know what his 40 time is. 

Overall great draft for JD

image.png.f8146f34e697b4a5756358f6968b81de.png

• Upvote 1

Breece Hall is at 7.9. According to their methodology that means "Potential Impact Player/Second Round"

This does not compute. Breece is considered a First Round Talent by many (RBs. are just not taken as high as in the past). I don't think he was considered a "potential" impact player either, rather "immediate" impact. 

The scale is flawed. Top five picks are for QBs, OTs, Edges, and the occasional WR or CB. A generational talent at Guard or DL or LB or Safety or TE would probably not be a #1 pick.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Not to quibble, but I find it odd that 6’1” is considered to be a better height for a RB than 5’11”. Seems to me that 217 lbs on a more compact frame would be better for the position. They must’ve loved Brandon Jacobs. 

Agreed on the whole sub 6ft Running backs are better. 

• Upvote 1

Breece Hall is the most physically gifted running back in the NFL.

Faster than Saquan, McFadden, taylor, more elusive than all three,

with bigger and better hands. Less I  forget Chris Henry the big Dude

is slow as sh*t hitting the line1.67 ten, 6.95 ras to Breece's  1.52 ten 9.96 ras

On 6/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, nycdan said:

Here he is ranked 8th overall for DE, but that would make him 5th after the 3 1st rounders.

https://www.nfl.com/draft/tracker/prospects/de/all-colleges/all-statuses/2022?page=1

Explain to me the difference between DE & Edge rankings, please. Seems to me that Hutch & JJ fit the Wide 9 scheme. Karlaftis ranked as an Edge? Confusing

image.thumb.png.e79e5b36db7e7a7dd6400f99bcf5d411.png

1B4BA08A-7F29-4252-9005-C8095E05C5BC.thumb.png.09fd671eab8690a65d38cb4f06a81dde.png

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

Explain to me the difference between DE & Edge rankings, please. Seems to me that Hutch & JJ fit the Wide 9 scheme. Karlaftis ranked as an Edge? Confusing

1B4BA08A-7F29-4252-9005-C8095E05C5BC.thumb.png.09fd671eab8690a65d38cb4f06a81dde.png

I can't possibly speak to why various sites put guys into one or the other category but not both since there is really a lot of overlap.

My understanding is that edge rusher is a role that is either 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLB or maybe even 4-3 OLB as long as they are primarily seen as pass rushers who also set the edge in running situations.  I guess you would see those slightly smaller guys who played DE in college but may be more suited to OLB in the pros classified as Edge.  So seeing Karlaftis listed as Edge makes no sense to me either.

One explanation I saw had to do with franchise tag money.  Guys who rush from the LB position want to be paid as DEs.  So Edge has become a way to deal with that.  I'm not sure if that has any bearing on how the draft class is bucketed, but it does make sense at the NFL level.

• Sympathy 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:01 AM, slats said:

Not to quibble, but I find it odd that 6’1” is considered to be a better height for a RB than 5’11”. Seems to me that 217 lbs on a more compact frame would be better for the position. They must’ve loved Brandon Jacobs. 

Could not agree more.  Hall's not a QB, so why would it be an advantage to be taller provided that he isn't flat out short?  In fact, I remember seeing some hype videos that claimed that Hall was 6'1".  Why would they want to do that?  Peterson was a great RB but that's not why.

57 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Could not agree more.  Hall's not a QB, so why would it be an advantage to be taller provided that he isn't flat out short?  In fact, I remember seeing some hype videos that claimed that Hall was 6'1".  Why would they want to do that?  Peterson was a great RB but that's not why.

When you look at the best RBs of all time, height - over 5'9" - seems to be little, if any factor.

Jim Brown, AP, Dickerson, OJ, Marcus Allen, Riggins, Sayers were all 6' or taller.  Dickerson is listed as 6'3"!  So is Derrick Henry.

Then you have a bunch of guys in the 5'10" - 5'11" range.  Campbell, Payton, Faulk, Tomlinson, Lynch, Curtis, Bettis, Thurman Thomas, Dorsett

Then you have your short guys but not really that many.  Barry, Emmitt Smith.  That's kind of it.

So as a very rough summary, being at least 5'10" is a plus, unless you are Barry or running behind the best OL in history.

There are about as many great RBs over 6' as just under so I'd venture to say that it isn't obviously helpful or hurtful to be taller.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

This doesn’t make sense and is a continuing issue with categorizing players. 

Most analytic sites have transitioned to: Edge, IDL, ObLB as their designators for front seven players. 

Edge means 1 gap 4-3 Ends, Outside linebackers in 3-4.

Interior Defensive Linemens includes Nose tackles, 1 gap 4-3 DTs, 2 gap 3-4 DEs 

Offball Linebackers are made up of 4-3 outside linebackers (Sam and Will), 3-4 Inside linebackers, and 4-3 Middle Linebackers. 

Non-analytic sites are more erratic and assign things randomly. Even worse the combine let’s players pick their group but they mix DTs and DEs without scheme consideration. So edge players end up either in DL groups or LBs and either way the group isn’t a consistent display of similar players. For instance Jermaine Johnson worked with LBs so he didn’t do any agility or pass rush drills that the other Edge prospects that listed themselves as DL did. It’s weird and needs an overhaul to create some consistency.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

For instance Jermaine Johnson worked with LBs so he didn’t do any agility or pass rush drills that the other Edge prospects that listed themselves as DL did.

I would have liked to see JJ lineup for some of  the Combine drills for lineman. Might be one of the reasons he fell. Teams might have thought that strange with only 1 year of solid production.