This season will be transformative for the Jets. But what does that mean exactly?

Alka

Years ago, I remember the Jets going 1-15 one year.  Bill Parcells took over, and the next season the Jets went 8-8.  Parcells told the team after the last game of the year, "You're not losers anymore!"  After that season, the Jets propelled themselves up to the AFC Championship game, only to lose to Denver.

I see this year going through the same transformation as when Bill Parcells took over.  Until the season starts, and the first game is played, no one really knows what that transformation will look like.

I see the first game against the Ravens as a "trend setter" for the season.  The Ravens with or without all of their weapons, are a gritty team, and will put up a strong fight.  The Jets, at home with so many weapons, and a defense that will look markedly different from last season, will enter the game with so much hope and expectations, at least from inside that locker room, that a win no matter how that looks will set the stage for the entire season.

And if the jets win the game, then the Browns coming after will definitely be there for the taking.  

If the Jets start the season 2-0, then every Jets fan will have thoughts of winning the division, and the experts will all be jumping on board the Jets train.

But, the way I see it, the Jets going 2-0 while certainly possible, is too far away right now to entertain.  And if the Jets do go 2-0, getting to 10 wins would mean the jets playing winning football the rest of the season, needing to go 8-7 the rest of the way.

As we stand here today, I find that scenario unlikely.  Impossible, no, but unlikely, yes!

If the Jets were fortunate enough to go 2-0 to start the season, I would be thrilled for the team to end up 9-8 on the season, winning 7 of the final 15 games.

And if that were to happen, then Robert Saleh could then stand up before the players after the final game of the year and proclaim, " You are not losers anymore!"

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, fastmover said:

I feel exactly the same! Should be an interesting year for the team and fan base. 

Semper Fi

Oh rah devil dog. 

12 - 5 if I can believe the other thread so I'm sticking with that lol. Bills got nothing for us!!

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

32 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

GM and HC love talking “culture” because it’s unmeasurable, unquantifiable.

They barely ever touch on Win-Loss record (for obvious reasons, as it’s objective with no gray areas and as such reflects poorly on their personal job performance), which is what fans actually care about.

First, I agree with you.  But, didn't Joe Douglas talk about having meaningful games in December this upcoming season?

If we take him at his word, then that would mean the Jets must be at least 6-7 going into the December month.  That would make his comments quantifiable.  

So, if the Jets aren't at least 6-7 going into December, then Joe would be admitting that they have failed between himself and Saleh in moving this organization forward.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, Alka said:

First, I agree with you.  But, didn't Joe Douglas talk about having meaningful games in December this upcoming season?

If we take him at his word, then that would mean the Jets must be at least 6-7 going into the December month.  That would make his comments quantifiable.  

So, if the Jets aren't at least 6-7 going into December, then Joe would be admitting that they have failed between himself and Saleh in moving this organization forward.

Less than 10 wins is a failure

• Thumb Down 5

2 hours ago, Alka said:

Years ago, I remember the Jets going 1-15 one year.  Bill Parcells took over, and the next season the Jets went 8-8.  Parcells told the team after the last game of the year, "You're not losers anymore!"

9-7, not 8-8.  Then he coached us out of the playoffs in the season ender at Detroit.

Instead of counting so heavily on W-L’s to define success, how about just playing games you go into thinking the Jets can win.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Certainly will be an interesting season, alot of new faces folks are excited by, and our #2 pick QB in year 2 with a ton to prove.

They play well and competitively (even if losing), the year should stay interesting.  If they play like last year, this season will get boring quick.

I think they'll be much better, W/L nonwithstanding, so I'm hoping for "interesting" for most of the season.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I might get sunday ticket this year,  Regardless of record I feel this year is not going to be the utter disaster I've expected for the last few years and will be worth watching.

This is how I feel. I don’t think the win record will be above .500 this year, but I think our wins are trending up now. I think there is competent leadership and the right players coming in. I think this is a legit rebuild. 

Excited for the season. 

• Upvote 3

Positive view:

On paper, there's no real reason why this team shouldn't be a damn good football team for the next several years at the very least.  Even if Zach isn't as good as we hope he is, there are pieces in place to give them a shot to win a lot of games.

Negative view: 

They're the Jets.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

If a good number of new players develop, the Jets are in good shape.  If they mostly bust, it’s another crappy season after this then another rebuild.  

I think it’s going to work.  

Way to go out on a limb! ? 

That team had one of the greatest, deepest coaching staffs in NFL history.  Proven, championship pedigree.  Even that staff couldn’t get the trophy. 

This could be like the second year of Adam Gase?   Hard to know what Saleh really is as an NFL HC.   

22 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

9-7, not 8-8.  Then he coached us out of the playoffs in the season ender at Detroit.

Instead of counting so heavily on W-L’s to define success, how about just playing games you go into thinking the Jets can win.

My memory is going.  You're right, it was a 9-7 season after being 1-15.  An 8 game swing in one year.

I don't remember how we lost the game to Detroit in that final game, but I do remember it was a winnable game going into it.  A real disappointment for sure, but to me, the bigger disappointment was losing a 10-0 lead against Denver at halftime, not going to the Super Bowl.  It was that loss, and then Vinny Testaverde going down for the season the next year, which in my opinion was the reason that Parcells lost his desire to coach the team after that.  

As far as playing games you go into thinking the Jets can win is a great thing, but as Bill Parcells once said, "You are what you're record says you are'.  If the Jets play the entire season and end up 5-12, while being in every game, then as far as I'm concerned, the head coach and Joe Douglas would have failed.  This team needs to perform better than that, in real wins and losses.

• Upvote 1

TE and Edge have been MARKEDLY improved.  Even if JD had done nothing else, this team would be wining more games.  But he's actually done a lot more.  Strengthened almost every position on the field. 

Further our young team (esp our QB) is a year older and wiser.  I'm liking our OC a lot as well.  There is no really no reason why this team won't be in the hunt come Dec, as JD has opined. 

You nay sayers are in for a pleasant surprise.     

It's transformative because they have, at worst, competence at every position.  Sadly we haven't been able to say that in a very long time.

Competence as the floor with A LOT of upside with the highly drafted youth at key positions across the roster.  If some of those young guys turn into impact players and they stay healthy this can become a championship caliber team.....

- With all of that said - it will still come down to Zach Wilson - he is easily the biggest question mark (can be the one non-competent on the roster) 

This is a huge year for the Jets.  

ZW becomes the guy, we'll see what the young WR's are. what the young RB's are, what the young CB's and Edges are...

Just so much to learn this year.

Here is how it will be transformative.   One of two ways.

1. Zach Wilson proves himself to be a bonafied franchise QB and the Jets are competitive for a decade to come

2. Zach Wilson proves himself to be another Jet's also-ran QB.  Joe Douglas looks to the QB wealthy 2023 draft for a new QB and a new era begins for the Jets.

At this juncture for the Jets I cant stress this often enough.  The league in this day and age is all about the QB.  A good QB will make the team look good, the GM look good and the HC look good even if there are gaps in the roster.  A poor QB will make a decent roster look bad, a decent coach look bad and a decent GM look bad.

We know the Jets have a good deal of talent now despite a few gaps in the roster.  We know the Jets GM is awake and aware and showing he understands what the team needs and how to get it.  We saw Saleh coach a team that while not always competitive due to manpower issues, was always disciplined, in place on the field and they NEVER imploded or acted out even when they were losing badly.  No stupid procedural penalties, no 12 men on the field, no cringe worthy clock management issues.  THAT is the sign of a good coach with a questionable roster.  Well... Now they have a good roster, especially on offense.

We dont know what Wilson is.  

This season is ALL about Wilson.  ALL ABOUT WILSON. 

• Upvote 1

This year is on Saleh.  More than even Zach. Saleh performed even worse than Zach did year one…worst defense, lack of accountability,  clueless press conferences, inability to make in game tactical changes. If the jets aren’t approaching a .500 season, Saleh will have proven he is not an NFL head coach. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DarthVitreous said:

This year is on Saleh.  More than even Zach. Saleh performed even worse than Zach did year one…worst defense, lack of accountability,  clueless press conferences, inability to make in game tactical changes. If the jets aren’t approaching a .500 season, Saleh will have proven he is not an NFL head coach. 

Agree Saleh has got to do better especially with the defense. Look I get that the Jets were talent-poor across the board but it's never a good look when you put up arguably the worst defensive performance in a team's 60+ year history, and there has been plenty of bad football over those decades competing for that title. He's gotta make something that is greater than the sum of its parts. Doesn't have to be the 2000 Ravens but he cannot have another season like last season.

Regarding the QB... we are locked in. Doesn't matter whether we like it or not. I have my feelings on the subject (as everyone knows) but even "da haterz" should hope that he plays every snap this year. I don't think anyone wants to go into next year with another Darnold purgatory situation (is he or isn't he?). 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, FootballLove said:

We don't know (yet) how ZW will pan out.

What we DO know is we won't be able to blame a QB's troubles on a GM who failed to build a team around him. For once, it will be on the QB, sink or swim.

I really wish we could get people to agree to this in writing up front. But it won't be so if the QB falters. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A look at JN in the future, when the Jets are perennial playoff contenders and the non-believers are dealt with...

You know what the non-believers will be doing when/if the Jets are good? Celebrating and enjoying it while you're stewing in the corner about how we don't "deserve" to be there.