Help Me Assemble The All-Psycho Defense

51 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I type, not to you that any list needs to include LT and you chime in that he’s not even a top LB.  And won’t shut it down, want to be the only human who believes this. 

Actually I said he is Top 5 all time, I just am not sure he is the best anymore.  Once again reading comprehension seems to be a problem for you. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/4/2022 at 9:39 AM, More Cowbell said:

I actually saw every down he played. I grew up in a rabid Giants family. Oh , wait, because you think he is the best ever, I guess that makes it so. My mistake. 

Some pundits credit the system LT was in for many of his QB sacks/pressures.  He rarely lined up across from an offensive tackle. He was going against TE's.  He was used very much the same way the OLB was used in the 46 defense.  Lined up at the extreme edge of the defense and often on the outside edge of the TE and also on the weak side too.

I'm not an LT expert, but I would like to know how he was in coverage and against the run.  Was he real good there too ???

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Some pundits credit the system LT was in for many of his QB sacks/pressures.  He rarely lined up across from an offensive tackle. He was going against TE's.  He was used very much the same way the OLB was used in the 46 defense.  Lined up at the extreme edge of the defense and often on the outside edge of the TE and also on the weak side too.

I'm not an LT expert, but I would like to know how he was in coverage and against the run.  Was he real good there too ???

He was good against the run but a lot of times it was hard to yell because when you have Jim Burt and Leonard  Marshall on the DL,  there wasn't  a real need for him to pay that much attention  to it. I don't  think he ever dropped into coverage. The only time I can recall he didn't  rush was when they played the Eagles and he would just shadow Cunningham to keep him in the pocket.  

42 minutes ago, jgb said:

Didn’t Leon Lett forgo season-ending finger surgery and instead opt for amputation to keep playing? Dude should probably captain this squad.

I believe that story was Ronnie Lott and it was "just the tip."  I think there was an old NFL Films piece on Nitschke or Mike Curtis who was getting their finger set and then went and attacked somebody who ran by them on the sideline.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed, he did.  I also remember seeing him on the sideline deeply inhaling a smelling-slats capsule after delivering a major hit.  Did you ever sniff one of those ??? He had that thing up his nose for an extended period of time.  

I don't believe there was a defensive back in the history of the game that consistently hit harder than Ronnie Lott.  And that is saying quite a lot.

8 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed, he did.  I also remember seeing him on the sideline deeply inhaling a smelling-slats capsule after delivering a major hit.  Did you ever sniff one of those ??? He had that thing up his nose for an extended period of time.  

I remember reading a bit about him when he was with the Raiders saying that it was taking more and more "caps" (ammonia caps or smelling salts) to wake him up.  He surely had too many concussions.

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I don't believe there was a defensive back in the history of the game that consistently hit harder than Ronnie Lott.  And that is saying quite a lot.

Actually includes some Jets highlights!  I think Tatum was right up there.  Guy was a killing machine.  Whole thing with Stingley kind of taints him, but he is no joke.

12 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I believe that story was Ronnie Lott and it was "just the tip."  I think there was an old NFL Films piece on Nitschke or Mike Curtis who was getting their finger set and then went and attacked somebody who ran by them on the sideline.

Ronnie Lott, duh. Leon Lett lol what a maroon.

15 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I remember reading a bit about him when he was with the Raiders saying that it was taking more and more "caps" (ammonia caps or smelling salts) to wake him up.  He surely had too many concussions.

Actually includes some Jets highlights!  I think Tatum was right up there.  Guy was a killing machine.  Whole thing with Stingley kind of taints him, but he is no joke.

If there was ever a player that was actually trying to kill someone on the field, it was Tatum 

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

It's  actually the first time I saw someone make an unflattering  post about someone and the person the post was about attacked another person that liked the post. 

Jet Nut entering a thread

gPDhpZw.gif.bf53c46d80b21fcb07b67e971df1595b.gif

• Haha 2

On 6/27/2022 at 9:22 AM, THE BARON said:

I'm trying to assemble the "All Psycho-Defense".  Not necessarily the most skilled defense but the player at each position that is off the wall nuts.  Please make suggestions.  Thus far the only unit I am happy with is my defensive backfield. 

DEFENSE

Line: Lyle Alzado, Suh (the early days), Jack Youngblood, Charles Haley,   (add or subtract any you like. We need to settle on the 4 most demented)

LB's Vontez Burfict, James Harrison, Charlie Badnerich, Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus, Ray Lewis. (Need to settle on 4 most demented)

Safties, Chuck Cecil, Jack Tatum

CB: Night Train Lane, Ronnie Lott

Don't forget Bill Romanowski absolute Psycho 

• Upvote 1

On 7/5/2022 at 9:09 AM, THE BARON said:

LT was a monster in every phase of the game In his first few seasons he played in more of a conventional LB role and was literally all over the field best LB I ever saw and it's not even close and I hate the Giants but could always respect LT . In his first few years some were already calling him the best LB they had ever seen , I heard that more than once. In his prime he just took over games and there was just no way to stop him

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Don't forget Bill Romanowski absolute Psycho 

We got him earlier up in the thread.  He's an A-1 member of the all psycho defense. 

Makes me think of the movie The Longest Yard.  The real one with Burt.  Not the execrable POS with Sandler.  

When Reynold's character Paul Crewe was selecting players for his team, he had index cards that noted the violent and dangerous nature of the prospects by the number of stars shown on the card.  The more stars, the more dangerous and violent the prospect.  One was documented as "hacked mother with meat cleaver".  As you would think, Crewe wanted the ones with the most stars.

In this case, from one star to five stars (five being the most psycho) Romanowski would get five stars.  As would Conrad Dobler, Kevin Gogan, Richie Incognito...  Darn... Sooo many offensive guards.

What is it with that position ???

Coaches and recruiters thinking... "I don't need or want a track star.  I need a big, angry, demented, nasty bastard that would hack his own mother with a meat cleaver. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2022 at 11:36 AM, 32EBoozer said:

More TOUGH than demented

A healthy Joe Klecko had one of the best years ever for a D Lineman if he stayed healthy and his early sacks counted he would have been the best defensive lineman ever or at the very least in that conversation

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Normstansfield said:

Romanowski would be Captain of the all time all psycho Defense

Indeed.  He qualifies as a leader.  

Question here.  How much of it was natural psycho and how much was roids ??? 

Same with LT and Coca Cola... 

5 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

A healthy Joe Klecko had one of the best years ever for a D Lineman if he stayed healthy and his early sacks counted he would have been the best defensive lineman ever or at the very least in that conversation

Klecko strait up belongs in Canton.  He not a psycho, but he's a HOF player all the way. Shame on the candy asses that are not voting him in. 

On 7/5/2022 at 10:09 AM, THE BARON said:

LT was a product of the system and rarely lined up across from an OT?  
He’s the best defensive player to have played the game.  

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

LT wasn’t part of a system but he did line up all over the place.  The giants tried all the time to hide him

6 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Indeed.  He qualifies as a leader.  

Question here.  How much of it was natural psycho and how much was roids ??? 

Same with LT and Coca Cola... 

At this point, you can't separate the man from the machine. Romonowski's blood type is nandrolone. 

3 minutes ago, Normstansfield said:

LT wasn’t part of a system but he did line up all over the place.  The giants tried all the time to hide him

That’s the funny part of it.  He was lined up everywhere and anywhere because he could.  To say he played in a system that had him line up across from the TE most of the time is as wrong as gets

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He was arguably, the best defensive player of his era, but years before the QB and forward pass played heavy ??? I can't see calling him the best defensive player of all time. 

Superlatives are dramatic, but not scientific. 

You wanna crown him ??? Go ahead (SLAM) Crown him !!!!

I would take Gastineau or Klecko for a ten year run in the 80s before LT.

When Revis was at his best, he had more impact on any given game than LT

And how did LT do when Walsh was calling the offense for the opposition ???

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

That’s the funny part of it.  He was lined up everywhere and anywhere because he could.  To say he played in a system that had him line up across from the TE most of the time is as wrong as gets

The guy stated the opinion of some pundits. He then asked a clarifying question to you to get your opinion on that. This was your response.

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because?  

See above.

10 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

He was more riod than man.  "Twisted and evil" 

There is a clip I've been trying to find for years from an old show called "Pros versus Joes." It's exactly as it sounds. They would pit pro athletes and regular Joes against each other in controlled sporting situations, giving the Joes some built in advantages. Most of the Pros were taking it all in good fun. Maybe giving 50% effort and playfully jawing and talking smack with the Joes. But not Bill Romanowski. Oh no.

The Joe had to advance the ball against Romo with the advantage of a wall across the field with several openings so Bill wouldn't know which opening the Joe would run out from in advance. The advantage did not help. Romo looked like a rabid tiger waiting for a gazelle to emerge out of the tall grass. When the Joe popped out of the opening -- KABBBBBOOOOOOOOM! Romo utterly destroyed this poor weekend warrior accountant and de-cleated him with a pro-quality hit at maximum speed. He then gave a Chuck Bendarik fist pump over the Joe's broken heap of a body. Even the other Pros watching on the sideline were like "Welp, that's the last episode of this show." It was indeed cancelled.

1 minute ago, jgb said:

There is a clip I've been trying to find for years from an old show called "Pros versus Joes." It's exactly as it sounds. They would pit pro athletes and regular Joes against each other in controlled sporting situations, giving the Joes some built in advantages. Most of the Pros were taking it all in good fun. Maybe giving 50% effort and playfully jawing and talking smack with the Joes. But not Bill Romanowski. Oh no.

The Joe had to advance the ball against Romo with the advantage of a wall across the field with several openings so Bill wouldn't know which opening the Joe would run out from in advance. The advantage did not help. Romo looks like a rabid tiger waiting for a gazelle to emerge out of the tall grass. When the Joe popped out of the opening -- KABBBBBOOOOOOOOM! Romo utterly destroyed this poor weekend warrior accountant and de-cleated him with a pro-quality hit at maximum speed. Even the other Pros watching were like "Welp, this'll be the last episode of this show."

You can bet that the "Joe" had to sign a release before being exposed to the beast. 

I wonder what Romanowski would be like to have at Thanksgiving ??? If you don't pass the gravy fast enough you'd probably get punched in the face.  

• Haha 1