Brooks no hustling QW 25th best player taken in '19 draft

The above expressions of disappointment are fair and true, But although it's a "nit", note that the last ten listed weren't from 16 to 25, but were listed in alphabetical order (hard to make granular judgments down in that part of a list),

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Drums said:

Not sure why anyone is complaining about Q anymore. It has been a few years, there are no more surprises. He’s a good kid and if he plays better, awesome.  Time to get over it. 

This. When engaged he can make some great plays. When not, he's pretty pedestrian. I think he will pull a Wilkerson and be fully engaged in a contract year, but JD ain't Mac and he wont be fooled by one season of real effort. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, Drums said:

Not sure why anyone is complaining about Q anymore. It has been a few years, there are no more surprises. He’s a good kid and if he plays better, awesome.  Time to get over it. 

I get it, but at the same time everyone says "It takes at least 3 years to fully evaluate a draft".

Well, here we are.

• Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Jets need to just stop with the drafting of DTs in the top 10

it never works 

I think we have.  Outside of one, JD has only drafted premium positions in the first round.

LT, QB, CB, WR, EDGE   -  AVT being the outlier, and I'm happy with that pick.

QW is not worthy of a top 3 pick, his hype was off the rails that year, amazing tape at Bama.  But the good news is he is not a bust a la Vernon Gholston or Dee Milliner.  He is an above average NFL player who gets good push on passing downs.  A valuable contributor, and a disappointment. 

Still holding out a little hope for a breakout year now that he has guys around him. 

• Upvote 1

I remember this one like yesterday.   In the last week of the season the Cowboys win a meaningless (they were already locked into a playoff seed)  game against the Giants by converting a 4th down TD then a 2 point conversion.  In doing so they somehow shifted the strength of schedule tiebreaker in favor of the 49ers.  At the time it didn't seems quite so bad because it looked like Arizona would take Nick Bosa as the clear #1  pick especially given they had taken a QB in the first round the year before.  Lo and behold they change administrations, draft another QB, and Bosa ends up in SF.  Made me want to puke then and nothing much over the last few years has changed anything, I still want to puke every time I watch that guy (Bosa if I need to elaborate) destroying other team's game plans while our guy is being game managed to keep up whatever little motor he has to offer .    

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, FootballLove said:

I get it, but at the same time everyone says "It takes at least 3 years to fully evaluate a draft".

Well, here we are.

Exactly. It has already been 3 years. We know he is not Aaron Donald so why not drop the hate and simply root for him? He’s fun to root for. 

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Drums said:

Exactly. It has already been 3 years. We know he is not Aaron Donald so why not drop the hate and simply root for him? He’s fun to root for. 

We do root for him. The 40% of defensive snaps he is on the field.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

2 hours ago, varjet said:

QW will not get a contract befitting a 3 pick.   He will end up 5 and done.  But Macc is gone.  We can’t beat him anymore.  

I'll beat him anytime I'd like.  Worst GM in NFL history, and his awfulness cost us a shot at a franchise QB and quality playmakers.  His presence still lives on in the likes of Quinnen and CJ Mosley.  

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

QW VS MB.  

Battle of the fat first rounders.....

Both have shown promise, but neither is really durable.

Neither are worth half of what the going rate is for DT and OT.

Learn and move on, ie.... no extensions!!!!!

QW will be traded or tagged, if extended at 10m x year with incentives.  Bacon will continue to sneak out of training camp for jelly doughnuts (link below) and will receive a maximum extension per cap space.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

There’s no good time to criticize a young Jets player.  Years 1-2:  Too early, give him time.  Years 3-4:  Too late, give it up.  

And we can’t criticize the GM who took him either, because he’s “long gone” so “stop beating a dead horse.”

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bronx said:

QW will be traded or tagged, if extended at 10m x year with incentives.  Bacon will continue to sneak out of training camp for jelly doughnuts (link below) and will receive a maximum extension per cap space.

Barring an utter collapse on the field in the absence of an injury, or serious trouble off it, there's no way he's signing a multi-year deal at $10MM per.

If he was willing to sign that he'd have been extended already, like they already exercised his 5th year option at ~$10MM.

Deserved or not thus far, his next contract/extension is more likely to be closer to double that amount than to be around that. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There’s no good time to criticize a young Jets player.  Years 1-2:  Too early, give him time.  Years 3-4:  Too late, give it up.  

And we can’t criticize the GM who took him either, because he’s “long gone” so “stop beating a dead horse.”

If you want to criticize, go right ahead, just seems like a waste of time at this point. This doesn’t mean I wouldn’t call him out in a game but the OP clearly still holds a grudge against him for his draft pick. He may have blessed himself but he didn’t pick himself. 

59 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Barring an utter collapse on the field in the absence of an injury, or serious trouble off it, there's no way he's signing a multi-year deal at $10MM per.

If he was willing to sign that he'd have been extended already, like they already exercised his 5th year option at ~$10MM.

Deserved or not thus far, his next contract/extension is more likely to be closer to double that amount than to be around that. 

Sarcasm is forbidden at JN Disneyland!

theme park vintage GIF

The Jets picked up his 5th year option so Joe Douglas could concentrate on fixing the offense for Zach Wilson.  Now that the offense is fixed, Joe D will draft QW replacement.

The 5th year extension was Joe telling him, "QW, I dont have time or the resources to replace you right now.  I will do that next year."

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Jets picked up his 5th year option so Joe Douglas could concentrate on fixing the offense for Zach Wilson.  Now that the offense is fixed, Joe D will draft QW replacement.

The 5th year extension was Joe telling him, "QW, I dont have time or the resources to replace you right now.  I will do that next year."

Well, perhaps that had a lot to do with it.  But most importantly, the 5th year option for a DT is really cheap. 

His $9.6M salary in 2023 is currently ranked 26th among DT's for that season.  Less than the likes of Maliek Collins ($10M), Roy-Robertson Harris ($10.1M), David Onyemata ($10.2M) and Grover Stewart ($10.6M) and a loooong ways away from the top guys at the position (the top 7 paid all will make over $20M in 2023).

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'll beat him anytime I'd like.  Worst GM in NFL history, and his awfulness cost us a shot at a franchise QB and quality playmakers.  His presence still lives on in the likes of Quinnen and CJ Mosley.  

Biggest surprise for me in the draft was JD not drafting replacements for either Q or Moseley...

Aside from 16-25 being listed alphabetically and not ranked, Williams as a guy in the 16-25 range being drafted over 22 of the other guys listed is probably not as bad as passing on five of the listed players for Jachai Polite.

The receivers who were taken off the table because of the Sam Darnold trade hurt too, but Macc probably would’ve drafted a safety.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

....in the second or third round. No more first round picks wasted on interior D-lineman. Been there, done that a million times.

Can’t really say no more drafting of DTs in first round because while I agree not to draft them within the first 5 picks unless you have another Donald on the board I would have no problem picking a DT later in the first round say like 18 give or take which is where I think the Jets will be drafting next year. 

59 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Biggest surprise for me in the draft was JD not drafting replacements for either Q or Moseley...

Too often, the draft is viewed as a method to fill all of a team’s holes right away.  As if every pick will end up a long-term starter.

No.  It’s about maximizing your odds of coming away with some elite young talent, with premium positions taking priority.  Because you know some/most of the guys will be misses.  

Replacements for some of the skills QW and Mosley bring to the table can usually be found in free agency.  The types of players Douglas drafted in this class usually cannot.  

So, no, I’m not really surprised at all that he elected not to use any of the picks he had on a DT or ILB.  QW and Mosley are both locked in on the roster this year and need to do their jobs.  Replacements can wait. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Where have I heard this before? :) 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Drums said:

Whenever I see "good kid" I get visions of a soft-bodied beta boogie boarding while the girls are all watching the surfers.

• Haha 2