Jets' secondary ranked Top 10 AFC

Bronx

Bottom 33% of the conference, and bottom 16% in the NFL?

Seems about right, given last year, and the fact we haven't played any games yet.

I'm hoping they'll be better, much closer to league average (or 50% of teams better, 50% worse), which would be a nice year over year improvement, especially for a Defensive-Resume Head Coach.

But yeah, it's hard to beef about this ranking today, in June.

This will be a contant refrain from me this year, "Get to Average".

If we're ranked ~15th or 16th in every stat and production metric, that would be a massive win for us.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, jgb said:

SOJF loser-mindset hater

in·cre·men·tal·ism
[ˌiNGkrəˈmen(t)lˌizəm]
NOUN
belief in or advocacy of change by degrees; gradualism.

I believe true, long-lasting improvement in the NFL is a process of incrementalism.  

i.e. There are generally no quick fixes.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bottom 33% of the conference, and bottom 16% in the NFL?

Seems about right, given last year, and the fact we haven't played any games yet.

I'm hoping they'll be better, much closer to league average (or 50% of teams better, 50% worse), which would be a nice year over year improvement, especially for a Defensive-Resume Head Coach.

But yeah, it's hard to beef about this ranking today, in June.

This will be a contant refrain from me this year, "Get to Average".

If we're ranked ~15th or 16th in every stat and production metric, that would be a massive win for us.

In fairness, any ranking is pure fantasy.

3 of 4 starters are new.  We brought in a starting corner, starting safety, and drafted a CB at #4 who's upside is best in the league.

I don't care where they rank.  But, I do expect that secondary should be a point of strength on this team next year, with all the obvious growing pains allowances made.

LB is the only place we won't look meaningfully different on defense next year.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

in·cre·men·tal·ism
[ˌiNGkrəˈmen(t)lˌizəm]
NOUN

I believe true, long-lasting improvement in the NFL is a process of incrementalism.  

Lone exception:  Teams that are already decent can get to elite pretty quickly.  SEE: Rams.  

But we're not there yet.  We're not a destination for FA's.  Yet.

2 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

In fairness, any ranking is pure fantasy.

3 of 4 starters are new.  We brought in a starting corner, starting safety, and drafted a CB at #4 who's upside is best in the league.

I don't care where they rank.  But, I do expect that secondary should be a point of strength on this team next year, with all the obvious growing pains allowances made.

LB is the only place we won't look meaningfully different on defense next year.

Any offseason, before-they-play ranking is absolutely fantasy.

And yes, we'll look very different, no doubt.

But I do care where they rank....once they start playing games. :D

In stats, not opinions.

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Lone exception:  Teams that are already decent can get to elite pretty quickly.  SEE: Rams.  

But we're not there yet.  We're not a destination for FA's.  Yet.

An elite franchise QB is about the only "quick fix" that really exists, and as you say, only if you were prepared in many other ways already to receive that QB.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

An elite franchise QB is about the only "quick fix" that really exists, and as you say, only if you were prepared in many other ways already to receive that QB.

A nasty get open, catch everything freak of nature true blue number one wideout is certainly a delicious addition to any squad. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

The Jets had a terrible secondary statistically last year. Then they overhauled it by potentially upgrading at at least 4 of the 6 critical 'starting' positions (Outside CB- Reed, Sauce; SS-Whitehead, Hall-Dime). But that's the thing, its all about POTENTIAL with the Jets. IF Sauce proves to be the real deal and DJ proves to be as good as advertised and the second year guys (as they typically do) continue to develop, and guys like Pinnock and Hall find a productive role, the Jets could have one of the best secondaries in the NFL. They really have that kind of potential. This is not me drinking Kool-Aid. Its just what JD was able to build and kudos to him. 

I mean, look at some of the other teams on this list. I know the Bengals have great safeties but should THEY really be that high on this list? It's debatable. The Titans are similar to the Jets, lots of young talent that has to prove themselves before we can elevate them as one of the best secondaries. 

Another thing I will note is that the Jets added Pass Rushers (with Lawson coming back) that will help with the secondary play. Thats just how it works. One unit helps the other statistically.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

in·cre·men·tal·ism
[ˌiNGkrəˈmen(t)lˌizəm]
NOUN

But didn't you know that once the Niners went from last place to the SB in one year?

They could be ranked last in the NFL in passing yardage allowed for all I care  but have a won lose record of 10-7 or 11-6 which tells me that teams fell behind and had to throw the ball. I have stated before numbers will not tell the entire story. We will see soon enough with our own eyes how much improvement the Jets have made