IMHO: 2 Jets who (most) everyone expects to get cut that will make the team and vice versa

Hardee should make the team.  Will have to see who does not make the team so that he makes the team. Could be Echols.

Edoga is a tough one.  McDermott also plays both Ts.  Let’s see who is better.   What we really need is a veteran swing T and Mitchell getting “hurt” during camp.

I agree that Huff is likely done, subject to injury.  The guy from the Texans has a big contract and replaces him.  I think Curry is done too.

Let the LBs play it out.  Hamsah needs to show more.

But, as said before, injuries will be as much of a factor here as actual performance.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Just my opinion, no disrespect to any players, but I'm bored.....

2 Jets who (most) everyone expects to get cut that will make the team 

1. Justin Hardee (CB) - Core special teams player and veteran leader - everyone is writing him off but I think he makes the team easily
  2. Chuma Edoga (OL) - he can play both tackles and has a modest contract.  Max Mitchell might be a better prospect, but he will just be a rookie.  Edoga sticks around 1 more season.  

2 Jets who (most) everyone expects to make the team that will get cut

1. Bryce Huff (DE) - Mentioned him before, he's from my home town and I like the guy, but he's going to be the odd man out at DE behind Lawson, Johnson, Clemons, and Martin
  2. Hamsah Nasirildeen (OLB) - 6th round pick in 2021 gets cut loose - Javin White and Marcell Harris play the same basic roles and bring more athleticism and veteran savvy

I agree with your first 3 but not so sure Hamsah is going anywhere.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

1. Justin Hardee (CB) - Core special teams player and veteran leader - everyone is writing him off but I think he makes the team easily
  2. Chuma Edoga (OL) - he can play both tackles and has a modest contract.  Max Mitchell might be a better prospect, but he will just be a rookie.  Edoga sticks around 1 more season.  

1. Bryce Huff (DE) - Mentioned him before, he's from my home town and I like the guy, but he's going to be the odd man out at DE behind Lawson, Johnson, Clemons, and Martin
  2. Hamsah Nasirildeen (OLB) - 6th round pick in 2021 gets cut loose - Javin White and Marcell Harris play the same basic roles and bring more athleticism and veteran savvy

We will see. I don't pretend to know anything more than you but I disagree with almost every single one, especially HUFF. if Huff is not on the team he will be traded, not cut but I just do not see the Jets giving up on him at all. If anyone steps up on specials Hardee could easily be cut or traded. I think Guidry is a wild card. If he can ramp up specials he could easily make it over Hardee.

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'd honestly be shocked. He was a non-factor last year before we drafted Hall. He's a goner.

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Perine is a lock to make the roster.  

Crew gotta agree with you. I think you and  I have a better chance of making the squad than Perine 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Expected to make it, will get cut:

1. Jeff Smith, WR

2. Ty Johnson OR Tevin Coleman, both RB

Expected to get cut, will make team:

1. Trevon Wesco, TE

2. La'Michael Perine, RB

Don't feel strongly about any of this tho, of all our recent seasons, this one feels like the roster will go pretty much as expected all down the line.

I'm not seeing alot of "long shots" making this team in 2022. 

Maybe a sign we're finally a little deeper talent-wise?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Cool topic..

I can’t fathom the Jets not upgrading from Edoga.  It would almost be reckless given their investment in Wilson, the question marks around Becton and the importance of taking a big step this year.  But they haven’t done it yet so at this point Edoga stays over McDermott.

Hardee?  The leader of Special Teams.  Probably not.

Great picks on the other 2!  I can see both of those.  Huff would hurt but the guy hasn’t been able to stay healthy and they’ve improved depth.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Warfish said:

1. Jeff Smith, WR

1. Trevon Wesco, TE

2. La'Michael Perine, RB

Don't feel strongly about any of this tho, of all our recent seasons, this one feels like the roster will go pretty much as expected all down the line.

War can you explain why you think Wesco and Perine make the team as I do t think they have any kind of shot at being on the 53 as they both have not contributed anything tangible at this point in their careers barring injuries of course 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

no way they cut my dudes!!!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Surprise make

1. WR DJ Montgomery (over Mims)

2. DL Curry as a versatile inside out guy

Surprise cut

1. WR Mims (if not traded)

2. FS Joyner; Jets instead keep both Pinnock & Davis

3. Rankins.  Poor performer, save close to $4M on the cap

Could be me looking through some really really rose colored glasses but Mims to me would be a real surprise if he’s cut and or traded. His rookie year showed he has some potential  Just don’t think they are ready to give up on him this year given that he has a lot of physical talent just have to draw it out 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, CSNY said:

War can you explain why you think Wesco and Perine make the team

Nope, lol.  :)

I'm literally guessing at some maybe-semi-reasonable "shocking" decisions.  Like I said, I really don't feel strongly about any of my choices.

I could see Westco make it as depth, and for blocking I suppose, behind the other three TE's. 

I could see our GM keep "his guy" Perine, a la Mims, over random Vets like Coleman and Johnson, neither of whom (IMO) are terribly impressive.  Clearly 2022 will be about Hall and Carter 99% of the time, barring injury, so keeping Perine maybe wouldn't be so costly?  Who knows.

as I do t think they have any kind of shot at being on the 53 as they both have not contributed anything tangible at this point in their careers barring injuries of course

No doubt, you're 100% right.  Neither have made much of an impression.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

The Jets FO was excited to get Hardee last offseason. I think it makes sense to keep 6 corners and 4 safeties. 5 corners are a lock: Sauce, Reed, MC2, Hall, and Echols.

So, Hardee is competing with Guidry and Dunn for the 6th spot. We can probably sneak those 2 guys on the practice squad. Slot corners are never in high demand and Dunn is a project. I would not be surprised if Hardee gets the 6th spot.

I think Huff makes the team. I agree he is the 5th best edge behind Lawson, Johnson, Martin and Clemons. But we can keep 10 DL including 5 edges. Keep your best players. The LBs can be squeezed with just 5 spots.

The only reason I dont see Edoga making the team is because I expect the Jets to sign a swing tackle. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Could be me looking through some really really rose colored glasses but Mims to me would be a real surprise if he’s cut and or traded. His rookie year showed he has some potential  Just don’t think they are ready to give up on him this year given that he has a lot of physical talent just have to draw it out 

Yep, just don’t think he’s a system fit.  He was drafted for Gase’s ‘system’.  

Personally, stripping out his physical gifts, I just don’t think he’s a very good football player at this level.  His lack of separation with his physical attributes is very surprising.  Meaning he might not have a high football IQ / understand the nuances of getting open.

But I do think other teams will still take a chance that he would fit their passing game or could still be taught the subtleties of getting open.  So he still is a tradable asset and the Jets still have some holes.  

• Upvote 1

One thing to keep in mind is special teams contribution.

Along with Hardee, Hamsah was a core special teamer. So was Del’Shawn Phillips. Hamsah was on the punt and kickoff coverage team and the kickoff return team as a blocker. Going to be hard to cut him for a veteran backup.

Here's what I got:

Surprise Makes: Phillips LB, and Hardee DB, Cager TE

Surprise Cuts: Curry Edge, White LB, White QB

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Hardee is not getting cut... and I agree Edoga is too much solid depth ... plus they are going to need to carry at least 9 OL because of Becton.

Nasirildeen will only get cut if they get Alexander or similar... and than I would expect him to move to PS.

Huff might not make the team, I agree with this.. but also might be stashed on PS.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Jeff Smith, WR

1. Trevon Wesco, TE

2. La'Michael Perine, RB

Jeff Smith will make the team... even if its at the cost of mims.

Johnson is a goner I agree

Wesco makes the team as a FB

Perine will have a tough time, he will have to show he is more valuable than Coleman is as a mentor.

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, Skeptable said:

Jeff Smith will make the team... even if its at the cost of mims.

Johnson is a goner I agree

Wesco makes the team as a FB

Perine will have a tough time, he will have to show he is more valuable than Coleman is as a mentor.

Skep. Agree with your views on Johnson and Perine but disagree with Wesco and Smith. This will be Wescos fourth year and in his first three he hasn’t distinguished himself at all. The  staff especially LaFluer seem to like Howden as the fullback and envision him as the Jets version of the Niners fullback who’s name I will not even attempt to spell. 
As for Smith over Mims unless all the early accolades that Mims has received are complete BS and that the Jets are trying to hype him up to create a buzz so they can move him for a mid round pick I just don’t see them giving up on him yet as he can be that tall speedy wide receiver they are looking for. 
One reason for my guarded optimism on Mims is that in another discussion about Mims and his failure in this offense, is one of the posters mentioned they had food poisoning and just how debilitating it was and how long it took him to get over it. Hoping that this is the case with Denzel as he would really put the receiving corps over the top 

• Upvote 1

boy when you get to this end of the roster it's almost a coin flip.  teams seem to churn through these lower level players because it's impossible to have all pros at each position and then there are always injuries.  the thing too is will these guys be on the roster or will they suit up on sunday's?  i wouldn't be surprised to see edoga or rankins cut.  but i also wouldn't be that surprised to see mims or smith cut.

8 minutes ago, rangerous said:

boy when you get to this end of the roster it's almost a coin flip.  teams seem to churn through these lower level players because it's impossible to have all pros at each position and then there are always injuries.  the thing too is will these guys be on the roster or will they suit up on sunday's?  i wouldn't be surprised to see edoga or rankins cut.  but i also wouldn't be that surprised to see mims or smith cut.

Agreed.  Also, is Mike White really a lock to make this team? 

18 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I also think Hardee makes the team easily, and wouldn’t be surprised if Huff and Nasirildeen don’t. Edoga is the one guy on your list I disagree with. OT is a position that is going to be addressed between now and opening day, and there will be players cut from other teams who they will like better than him. Probably the same position the young LBs are in. 

15 hours ago, Warfish said:

1. Jeff Smith, WR

1. Trevon Wesco, TE

2. La'Michael Perine, RB

The only one I agree on is Wesco, and even he has an uphill battle. Ruckert shares a lot of his skills, only better. If they see Ruckert getting on the field a lot as a rookie, and playing specials and H-back, Wesco’s ticket is probably punched. 

Jeff Smith is on the bubble, and a lot of that has to do with Mims. If he’s ahead of Mims at the end of camp, he’s in. If he’s not, he still has his special teams play to give him a boost, but I’m not sure I see the Jets carrying six WRs this year. 

I think Tevin Coleman is a lock to make the team, and that they carry four RBs (besides a FB). I don’t know who that #4 is going to be yet, but I don’t think it will be either Ty or Perine. Could be another mini draft addition. 

12 hours ago, FootballLove said:

Lawrence Cager is a guy I'm worried about. Lots of talent at TE in front of him. I hope he shines in TC...we'll see,

I give Cager roughly a 1/20 chance to make the 53. He couldn’t impress last year, and they added three more guys firmly ahead of him this year. Only way he makes it would be injuries, and that would be very bad for the team. 

• Upvote 3

Do people actually think Hardee gets cut? I've been too far out of touch, thought he was hands down the best special teams player we've had in years. Would be stunned if we cut him.

Perine is definitely gone, Edoga may make the team because he's an OT but it wouldn't shock me if he was cut. 

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Tough to keep 5 tackles since we more than likely have to sign a vet tackle as it will be a high price to pay if Chuma and Mitchell as your only backup Tackle would be a major issue if we have one of the starting tackles go down for any length of time due to injury and don't have a reliable Tackle with multiple years of starting experience. The main part of the team to keep progressing is Zack's growth and that means you can't take a risk there. In fact we didn't even bring up Tackle McDermott who they like, but again like Chuma his experience at Tackle is less than we may need there in the event of an injury. May the best men win these backup Tackle spots. 

• Upvote 1