Matt O'Leary: Offense significantly ahead of the defense

Bronx

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

You think the worst defense in the NFL should suddenly be way ahead of the offense?  I dont really understand this take.  Hopefully the rookies are studs but the investment on this team has clearly been on the offense, despite 2 first rounders on D this year.  Besides, they did address offense again, when hey took 2 in the top 35 w/ Hall only coming 10 picks after Johnson who was 16 picks after Wilson.  Seems like a very equitable commitment to both sides of the ball via the draft.  Free agency saw an equal commitment to both sides as well.  With JD revamping the TE room, and bringing in Tomlinson, some could argue are more impactful signings than Reed and Whitehead.

In general, this take is silly, not yours but this tweet or whatever.  When you're one of the worst teams in the NFL, no unit is "significantly" ahead of the other.  Nobody has any clue who Zach Wilson is at this point and the offense is relying on a lot of young players.  The more accurate assessment of this silly take would to have said something like; it's June, we know nothing, it will be interesting to see which unit hits the ground running and which unit needs more time to gel.  Matt O'Leary acting like he knows this as truth on June 29th isnt like an actual thing, the guys doesnt know sh*t.  Nobody does.  Its June.

The defense started with more to work with, added at least as much if not more to the team via the draft and FA the last few years and we have a wunderkind D centric coach and we have a 2nd year still raw QB and a really young oc.

Hell yes D should be ahead of the offense.  (Unless coaching stinks as I said, which it did last year on D)

In the 're-building process' yes, the offense is ahead of the D, I would argue. However, I think the Defense will be a better unit than the offense this year. Or at least SHOULD be. For a variety of reasons I don't feel like getting into right now. But lets just say-  JMHO.

9 hours ago, the Claw said:

The Defense will be much better for the experience, but the rookies were mostly in the secondary. Most of the D line and linebackers werent rookies. Quincy was a FA, plus a rotating door at the ends, but other than that the front 6/7 were the experienced ones. Besides, if everyone’s missing assignments all the time then who the heck is teaching them? There can be more than one thing wrong at a time.

Mostly but not all... Rookie LBs too... You can lead a horse to water but doesn't mean they will drink. You can teach rookies what they need to know, doesn't mean they will get it right. This year should be vastly improved.

• Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The defense started with more to work with, added at least as much if not more to the team via the draft and FA the last few years and we have a wunderkind D centric coach and we have a 2nd year still raw QB and a really young oc.

Hell yes D should be ahead of the offense.  (Unless coaching stinks as I said, which it did last year on D)

Meh, the team JD/Saleh inherited was awful all around.  I dont think either side had any advantages during this rebuild.  That said, the QB variable I think does give your point some merit but I'm not really passionate about this one way or another.  It's June.  Neither side is ahead of the other.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

CS, Saleh and LaFleur both said that Flaccos been great, has really been a mentor to Wilson.  That anyone believes you have to have been an all time great to be a mentor just doesn’t have a clue what a mentor does.  

Joe showing up with his Super Bowl ring and letting Zach try it on is all the kid should need! 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Joe showing up with his Super Bowl ring and letting Zach try it in is all the kid should need! 

And Joe Douglas can let him try on his THREE rings, too, I imagine:

• Ravens (2000, 2012)
  • Eagles (2017)

Not sure if scouts get rings though.  Especially in 2000, given that that was his first year as a scout....

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Beerfish said:

No, i disagree,

Our existing D had more supposed impact vets to start, we draft like 5 guys last year on d, then .  Then used our top pick on D this year and two more picks on rushers, we invested in FA big on D.

Our D should be way ahead of the offense, if it isn;t coaching is to blame.

Keep in mind on O, we are inserting 2 draft picks albeit in prominent roles at WR and RB, but all others at those position groups are the same from last year. We also added all new TEs, but the TE group we had was completely useless, so there was much there that could be improved. On D, we signed multiple FA starters/rotation players and draft picks in the secondary and on the Dline, and it will take some time for them to gel/communicate where you stop seeing skill players wind up uncovered on routes and such. 

39 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And Joe Douglas can let him try on his THREE rings, too, I imagine:

• Ravens (2000, 2012)
  • Eagles (2017)

Not sure if scouts get rings though.  Especially in 2000, given that that was his first year as a scout....

Considering Joe Douglas took the cock ring option that might be a little uncomfortable, 

• Haha 2

How can anyone tell right now?  Kinda feel like it's an opinion to induce discussion than observation though.  Sort of the "I think offense is smoking right now, I think we can beat the Pats.  I'll hang up and listen" calls on radio.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Really? No room for Super Bowl MVP who had one of the best post season performances ever? But yeah? Zach go’s down and we should just tank  again for a chance at a franchise QB. Sounds like a fantastic plan, let’s go through another season we don’t win 5 games for a  to maybe draft a franchise QB and maybe we pick the right one this time.  Since if we tank it’s practically  guaranteed we get the chance to draft the right one.  I mean what’s the damage of another losing season right? Won’t have no effect on rest of the team. Joe Flacco is more than capable of taking this upgraded offense to a winning record. Providing we aren’t already at 6-7 loses before he gets the nod. This isn’t Madden, where you can just play another season. This team, franchise, front office and fans need a winning season NOW. Period! 

One problem is if Wilson goes down do you really think people will be on board with drafting another QB? “He got hurt haterz and deserves another year.”

No one knows. We are a 'bright future' team right now on both sides of the ball, a lot of promise and very light on experience. I think JD has approached the two sides of ball with pretty decent balance this past off season but I dont think we'll know until Oct. 

In reality, Zach looked brilliant last pre-season. Was only once full speed and gameplanning hit last season that we saw him short circuit at times, ultimately thats gonna be the deciding factor though with the improvements to the players around him he will be under less pressure to short circuit...

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

One problem is if Wilson goes down do you really think people will be on board with drafting another QB? “He got hurt haterz and deserves another year.”

I would hope it is related to his body of work before he got hurt. If he looked the part and was winning game, chances are Flacco comes in and we get close to post season so we wouldn't be in a position to draft another QB anyhow. We also wouldn't have the need. If Zach is terrible like last year hopefully they figure out away to get him out of there before the season is lost. Regardless of how things out chances are we won't be in a position to take one of the top QB's next year. Especially after Joe Flacco gets us our and his second Lombardi. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I would hope it is related to his body of work before he got hurt. If he looked the part and was winning game, chances are Flacco comes in and we get close to post season so we wouldn't be in a position to draft another QB anyhow. We also wouldn't have the need. If Zach is terrible like last year hopefully they figure out away to get him out of there before the season is lost. Regardless of how things out chances are we won't be in a position to take one of the top QB's next year. Especially after Joe Flacco gets us our and his second Lombardi. 

I hope the QB plays every snap even if there is zero movement from last year. Either he figures it out and we got our guy or he doesn’t and we move on. 

If Wilson has shown improvement, then that would be a big upgrade in the offense by itself. LaFleur also hit his stride the back half of last year so good QB play, good coaching and a little more stability in the roster should have the offense ahead of the defense. On defense there are a lot of new players all competing for positions and learning the scheme. Probably focused a little more on figuring out the roster before they can get players situated in roles. I'm also unimpressed by Ulbrich so not terribly surprised the defense isn't looking so hot. 

I remember those past years where the message during the offseason was how much the defense crushed the offense. That showed on the field during the season. If the offense is the stronger unit going into the season, well we might have some decent football to watch this year.

4 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Added four pass rushers (if you count the return of Lawson) - a starter and a first rounder with two rotational players.

Added two starting corners - the #4 overall superfreak and a free agent scheme fit.

Not out of the realm that the D surprises some of us. 

We also added a starting safety, and got back another safety, a FA signing from the previous year, who was out all season. A complete revamp of the secondary with veterans - and last year's young starters are now the depth pieces with starting experience under their belts.

• Upvote 2

I'd say they are equally far along when you look at the starters since last season. The D added 3 new players to the secondary and 2 new D Lineman (if you include Lawson). So, 45 % of the starters are new. On O they added starters at WR, RB, G, TE and T if you include Becton. So that is also 45% of the starters being new. I see the starting units on an even keel as far as the rebuild. The big difference in my book is that JD has added good depth across all of the offensive position groups while he has only done so at DL and CB for the D.  Depth at S and LB will be a real issue if there are injuries, and there are always injuries. 

4 hours ago, jgb said:

I hope the QB plays every snap even if there is zero movement from last year. Either he figures it out and we got our guy or he doesn’t and we move on. 

I’ll tell you what, I agree here. Obviously the hope would be that Zach is looking the part or better. Realistically, it’s hard to imagine how hard he’d have to bomb for the team to truly move on. Meaning: how bad would Zach have to be for them to be willing to hit the draft for a QB again? I’d really like to think that I can’t seeing him play that poorly. In his worst performance scenario, I’d imagine they’d go the veteran route. Try to make treasure out of someone else’s trash, but with Zach still on the roster. 

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

You are a way better Jet fan than me. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

Most say that.

This I don’t agree with. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, slats said:

I’ll tell you what, I agree here. Obviously the hope would be that Zach is looking the part or better. Realistically, it’s hard to imagine how hard he’d have to bomb for the team to truly move on. Meaning: how bad would Zach have to be for them to be willing to hit the draft for a QB again? I’d really like to think that I can’t seeing him play that poorly. In his worst performance scenario, I’d imagine they’d go the veteran route. Try to make treasure out of someone else’s trash, but with Zach still on the roster. 

First time we agreed about a QB. The space-time continuum is being torn asunder.

2 hours ago, slats said:

This I don’t agree with. 

Not a surprise, lol. You can add that I don't question the fandom of those who disagree with me as yet another difference between us.