Jump to content

Do you have stupid neighbors?


Bronx
 Share

Recommended Posts

No, thankfully.  My dad told me once there are two things that make life much easier to deal with as an adult.  Good neighbors and good in laws.  Luckily I got decent draws in those departments, because I think my dad was right.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of bad neighbors what's up with people who buy a house in a leafy subdivision just to chop down all the trees in front of their house? 

That really grinds my gears.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Speaking of bad neighbors what's up with people who buy a house in a leafy subdivision just to chop down all the trees in front of their house? 

That really grinds my gears.

I was talking to an uncle of mine recently and he mentioned that my grandparents had some kind of rare tree on their front yard. Rare enough that someone who owned a nursery nearby offered them $10,000 to take AND replace the tree with another kind of tree. This was back in the 80s or 90s when $10,000 was a nice chunk of change. My grandparents said no and they eventually moved from that house. My uncle told me as soon as the new owners moved in they chopped down every tree on the property including the special one.

 

The mind boggles at such actions.

  • Sad 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Nolder said:

I was talking to an uncle of mine recently and he mentioned that my grandparents had some kind of rare tree on their front yard. Rare enough that someone who owned a nursery nearby offered them $10,000 to take AND replace the tree with another kind of tree. This was back in the 80s or 90s when $10,000 was a nice chunk of change. My grandparents said no and they eventually moved from that house. My uncle told me as soon as the new owners moved in they chopped down every tree on the property including the special one.

 

The mind boggles at such actions.

Seriously! Jeeze… oh and thanks for the downvote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Seriously! Jeeze… oh and thanks for the downvote.

Oh lol I meant it like, I dislike people who cut down the trees. No offense to you lol. Here I'll change it one sec. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nolder said:

Oh lol I meant it like, I dislike people who cut down the trees. No offense to you lol. Here I'll change it one sec. 

Tree hater!!! 😉 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Nolder said:

I was talking to an uncle of mine recently and he mentioned that my grandparents had some kind of rare tree on their front yard. Rare enough that someone who owned a nursery nearby offered them $10,000 to take AND replace the tree with another kind of tree. This was back in the 80s or 90s when $10,000 was a nice chunk of change. My grandparents said no and they eventually moved from that house. My uncle told me as soon as the new owners moved in they chopped down every tree on the property including the special one.

 

The mind boggles at such actions.

Stupid people. 

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Have you considered moving out of the Bronx?

Birth place. 

I live 15 minutes from here...

Screenshot_20210529-051452.thumb.png.18911623445b107958efb179d532ce84.png

Nevertheless, ignorance and stupidity will prevail regardless of location. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Everybody has crappy neighbors .

That’s just the simple reality of it. It’s the HOA’s you gotta avoid, because then you might have to actually listen to them. My Daughter and Son-in-law bought a home with a very strict HOA. Holy hell, they had like 4 things to fix before they even moved in. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have this stupid neighbor. He used to hang bird feeders which bears can smell from like half a mile away or something and now we have a couple of regular bears looping through the neighborhood on a regular basis.  F'ing idiot.  Needless to say, bird feeders are gone.

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My neighbors are getting divorced, they have been married for a long time. The guy seems cool, he is a huge Jets fan. She cleaned him out, kicked him out and took all the money.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dcat said:

I have this stupid neighbor. He used to hang bird feeders which bears can smell from like half a mile away or something and now we have a couple of regular bears looping through the neighborhood on a regular basis.  F'ing idiot.  Needless to say, bird feeders are gone.

I love bears.  I got rid of the birdfeeders and put in a dumpster.  They love it.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2022 at 7:15 AM, The Crusher said:

That’s just the simple reality of it. It’s the HOA’s you gotta avoid, because then you might have to actually listen to them. My Daughter and Son-in-law bought a home with a very strict HOA. Holy hell, they had like 4 things to fix before they even moved in. 

Talk about a strict HOA.  I moved into an over 55 HOA in Scottsdale 10 years ago.  Lights out were at 9PM.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not passing judgment but not sure how anyone lives in an HOA at all. 'Hey, so I know you own this property but here are the many reasons you actually don't. Oh, and you'll pay me monthly for this as well'. No thanks. Just another form of rent-seeking. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Talk about a strict HOA.  I moved into an over 55 HOA in Scottsdale 10 years ago.  Lights out were at 9PM.  

Are you positive your family didn’t have you committed? 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Not passing judgment but not sure how anyone lives in an HOA at all. 'Hey, so I know you own this property but here are the many reasons you actually don't. Oh, and you'll pay me monthly for this as well'. No thanks. Just another form of rent-seeking. 

I like being in an HOA. Ours isn't over bearing or expensive, mainly just prevents people from letting their houses/yards get run down, store ugly crap in the yard or make ridiculous changes that don't fit the neighborhood. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Not passing judgment but not sure how anyone lives in an HOA at all. 'Hey, so I know you own this property but here are the many reasons you actually don't. Oh, and you'll pay me monthly for this as well'. No thanks. Just another form of rent-seeking. 

It’s under the premise that if everyone adheres to the rules house values stay up. I guess it depends a  in how long you stay in your home. If you may move  do to military, job change, retirement or divorce anytime soon it may make short term sense . But once you buy for  the long  term it seems like a bit much to do. Plus, you can just remodel the toilets abs the kitchen before you sell anyways. Toilets and kitchens sell houses nowadays. 
 

I raised five kids in my home and there were times when the place really looked like it. Like the time my oldest boy decided to try a pull up hanging off my cross bar for the garage door. Had two pieces of plywood covering the opening till the weekend till and I could replace it. Haha 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I like being in an HOA. Ours isn't over bearing or expensive, mainly just prevents people from letting their houses/yards get run down, store ugly crap in the yard or make ridiculous changes that don't fit the neighborhood. 

That’s not so bad. Our neighborhood doesn’t have a HOA but he has an old ordinance that you can’t knock your house down and build a McMansion on it. You have to leave the front entrance and can only increase the base of the house by I think 25% (we have pretty huge yards compared to most in Northern VA so it’s not too terrible) . But you can go straight up a full floor if it’s a single level, bitches around here get  creative AF. It’s not awful because it’s a very old subdivision and the trees prevents houses from becoming architectural eyesores. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I like being in an HOA. Ours isn't over bearing or expensive, mainly just prevents people from letting their houses/yards get run down, store ugly crap in the yard or make ridiculous changes that don't fit the neighborhood. 

Fair enough. I would counter with it's not overbearing until it is. I've heard of ones where both cars need to be in the garage at night. Overnight visible cars become a 'How long is your guest staying?' Nah. Generic seasonal flags out front: good. Teams or nations: bad.  Sometimes I feel like not fitting the neighborhood is when one wants to divert from the standard issue taupe on taupe with light brown.  Now I do understand the reason for some of these rules. Toys in the front yard, broken down rides look like sh*t, agreed. My uncle owns an 8-unit apartment building in West Milford. First thing he did was 86 toys from being outside when the kids weren't. Then again he's the 100% owner and they're renters. Just feel like if there was ever an example of a slippery slope it's HOAs. Encourages Karens and busy bodies. Not to mention some of the fees. When you break it down sometimes it's a lot of money for garbage pickup and the clubhouse pool guy. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Fair enough. I would counter with it's not overbearing until it is. I've heard of ones where both cars need to be in the garage at night. Overnight visible cars become a 'How long is your guest staying?' Nah. Generic seasonal flags out front: good. Teams or nations: bad.  Sometimes I feel like not fitting the neighborhood is when one wants to divert from the standard issue taupe on taupe with light brown.  Now I do understand the reason for some of these rules. Toys in the front yard, broken down rides look like sh*t, agreed. My uncle owns an 8-unit apartment building in West Milford. First thing he did was 86 toys from being outside when the kids weren't. Then again he's the 100% owner and they're renters. Just feel like if there was ever an example of a slippery slope it's HOAs. Encourages Karens and busy bodies. Not to mention some of the fees. When you break it down sometimes it's a lot of money for garbage pickup and the clubhouse pool guy. 

I could see that being an issue. One of the first things I did when I moved into the neighborhood was throw my hat in the ring to be on the board. Not because I like telling other people what to do, but because I want to know what goes on behind the scenes and it also gives me some voice in what happens. The way I see it you have to involve yourself.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I could see that being an issue. One of the first things I did when I moved into the neighborhood was throw my hat in the ring to be on the board. Not because I like telling other people what to do, but because I want to know what goes on behind the scenes and it also gives me some voice in what happens. The way I see it you have to involve yourself.


Do they call you Barry or Mr. McCockinner? 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

As I get older, my wife noticed I am turning into Mr. Wilson from Dennis the Menace.  Neighbors moved in next door about 5 years ago with little kids.  The girl is a shrieker.  She's outside all the time and apparently doesn't know how to breathe without screaming.  Not a spectrum thing either, just obnoxious and the parents don't care.  Makes me grumpy.  Then there's the dog about two houses down behind my house that gets left outside for hours in the summer and barks until its throat turns inside out.  I have spoken to them and called police on them.  It solves it for a week or two and then it starts up again.  I figure the dog is about 5 now so another 7 or 8 years to go.

I swear, if I could have any superpower, it would be Thor's.  A few well-placed lightning bolts would solve all my neighbor problems.  I just want quiet.

Honestly though, I can't image what my wife is thinking calling me Mr. Wilson.  

  • Post of the Week 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...