Jump to content

NFL roster rankings for all 32 teams for 2022: Strengths, weaknesses and X factors for every starting lineup


Claymation
 Share

Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Alka said:

I have been screaming this from the rafters for months now.  The Jets did nothing to address the linebacking group, and to me, this was a weakness from last season.  It's like everything got upgraded with the exception of the linebackers.  

Yeah outside of CJ we have no starter quality LB'ers.  But considering our list of holes at the end of the season I can't complain.  The offense is complete and the defense is down a Nose, LB, and S.  Contextually not bad.

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah outside of CJ we have no starter quality LB'ers.  But considering our list of holes at the end of the season I can't complain.  The offense is complete and the defense is down a Nose, LB, and S.  Contextually not bad.

I wonder why nobody tried Tebow at linebacker, 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's also a shift going on in the background of the NFL...the pendulum is swinging.

As teams spent the last 20 years building the next Greatest Show On Turf, and as the new rules benefited the passing game, defenses started becoming leaner and faster to combat the growing TE and wheel rout threats. If a LBer or box safety can't cover the good TEs or RBs out of the backfield, they're considered sub-class. Gone are the days of the 270 pound ass-thumpers that terrorized the LOS.

But....brains like Belichick's started bringing back the ground and pound to take advantage of those leaner backers. Or maybe it was Rex who beat Belichick with it. Either way, there's a growing need for those 270 pound ass-thumpers. Just ask those poor helpless defenders who bounced off Derrick Henry in all those ESPN highlights! 

LeFluer's trying the same thing albeit with lateral lineman and one-cut-and-go running backs.

If you can't beat them through the air, bash it down their throats. Or at least be balanced with a LEGITIMATE threat of a big time running game. Puts defenses (like ours) in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

Hopefully Saleh and JD have this figured out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I have been screaming this from the rafters for months now.  The Jets did nothing to address the linebacking group, and to me, this was a weakness from last season.  It's like everything got upgraded with the exception of the linebackers.  

Very true. Hopefully better corners and a player like Whitehead can make up the difference otherwise we are going to get screened to death again. And there is ZERO way the defense is the strength of this team. Honestly I think we will still be bottom 10. We might be Top 10 in offense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Very true. Hopefully better corners and a player like Whitehead can make up the difference otherwise we are going to get screened to death again. And there is ZERO way the defense is the strength of this team. Honestly I think we will still be bottom 10. We might be Top 10 in offense.

No way the Jets are a top ten offense in 2022.   They might not be top ten offense in the AFC .   Too young there talent , and there are just so many big time offense teams out there.    Things are finally looking up for the Jets but temper those expectations some what this year.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Raideraholic said:

No way the Jets are a top ten offense in 2022.   They might not be top ten offense in the AFC .   Too young there talent , and there are just so many big time offense teams out there.    Things are finally looking up for the Jets but temper those expectations some what this year.

Jets will be Top 10 in offense. Depends somewhat on injuries as always but the Jets offense is loaded. You just refuse to see it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

No way the Jets are a top ten offense in 2022.   They might not be top ten offense in the AFC .   Too young there talent , and there are just so many big time offense teams out there.    Things are finally looking up for the Jets but temper those expectations some what this year.

I’m fine with this sentiment in general, but not coming from you buddy.  Not from you.  

If your predictions about the Raiders had come true over the years, they’d have won about 15 division titles in the last 20 years with 5+ Super Bowl appearances.  

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Jets will be Top 10 in offense. Depends somewhat on injuries as always but the Jets offense is loaded. You just refuse to see it.

In 2022 you’re talking about right?   If you’re that is ridiculous statement.   Let’s see your top ten offenses you have the Jets up there with.   Just off the top of your head.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m fine with this sentiment in general, but not coming from you buddy.  Not from you.  

If your predictions about the Raiders had come true over the years, they’d have won about 15 division titles in the last 20 years with 5+ Super Bowl appearances.  

Okay  what this have to do with the topic .  You want to make a bet which offense the Raiders or Jets  is higher in 2022 .   I will gladly do so.  Let me know .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Jets will be Top 10 in offense. Depends somewhat on injuries as always but the Jets offense is loaded. You just refuse to see it.

If the Jets can be in the top five  in rushing yardage they won’t need to be top ten in overall offense as they won’t have to pass the ball which is just fine by me.

This opinion  Has nothing to do with not trusting Zach as I think he will become a very good  QB but more to do ground and pound offense that I prefer 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't think defensive line is a strength of this team at all, certainly not until we see Lawson back at full strength.

It's was pitiful against the run last year and lost it's best run defender. That's not promising. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Okay  what this have to do with the topic .  You want to make a bet which offense the Raiders or Jets  is higher in 2022 .   I will gladly do so.  Let me know .

Way to completely miss his point. And prove it. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Alka said:

I have been screaming this from the rafters for months now.  The Jets did nothing to address the linebacking group, and to me, this was a weakness from last season.  It's like everything got upgraded with the exception of the linebackers.  

Weak middle of the D plays exactly into Tua’s play style. I’m streaming him in fantasy when he faces the Jets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Alka said:

I have been screaming this from the rafters for months now.  The Jets did nothing to address the linebacking group, and to me, this was a weakness from last season.  It's like everything got upgraded with the exception of the linebackers.  

We’ll see how it goes. Wouldn’t be a surprise if they added a FA LB before camp, or added one after the summer cuts. But as far as having one position that they failed to address, LB is probably the one that’s easiest to get away with. Mosley’s good and doesn’t come off the field, and they generally only run with two LBs (or less) on the field on any given down. They went from bottom of the league CBs to a potentially top group with Sauce and Reed. If they, along with MC2, can handle the receivers in man, Whitehead can comfortably live in the box. The DL rotation is designed to keep all of them fresh and running around the field “all has no brake,” style. 
 
They're going to have to scheme some. The defense is going to be susceptible to the run and screen game, and they’re going to need to be aware of that. Best defense against the run is an offense that can stay on the field and score points. I’m more concerned about Becton and the OT position than LB. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, slats said:

We’ll see how it goes. Wouldn’t be a surprise if they added a FA LB before camp, or added one after the summer cuts. But as far as having one position that they failed to address, LB is probably the one that’s easiest to get away with. Mosley’s good and doesn’t come off the field, and they generally only run with two LBs (or less) on the field on any given down. They went from bottom of the league CBs to a potentially top group with Sauce and Reed. If they, along with MC2, can handle the receivers in man, Whitehead can comfortably live in the box. The DL rotation is designed to keep all of them fresh and running around the field “all has no brake,” style. 
 
They're going to have to scheme some. The defense is going to be susceptible to the run and screen game, and they’re going to need to be aware of that. Best defense against the run is an offense that can stay on the field and score points. I’m more concerned about Becton and the OT position than LB. 

I'm afraid that I'm not able to agree with you on this.  You speak about the strengths on defense offsetting the weakness of the linebacking group, but I don't see it that way.  For the linebacking group to be solid and have depth, you need to have 5 quality linebackers for a 4-3 defense.  I see 2 linebackers who are solid. I realize that the Jets many times will only use 2 linebackers on defense, but when the other team is determined to run the ball down your throat, you need to be solid up the middle.  Where is Fatukasi?  Where is the stud defensive tackle?  Where is the depth at linebacker who can help stop the run down the gullet? 

The Jets sucked against the run last year, and If I were the opposing team, I would be testing that every chance I could get.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Alka said:

I'm afraid that I'm not able to agree with you on this.  You speak about the strengths on defense offsetting the weakness of the linebacking group, but I don't see it that way.  For the linebacking group to be solid and have depth, you need to have 5 quality linebackers for a 4-3 defense.  I see 2 linebackers who are solid. I realize that the Jets many times will only use 2 linebackers on defense, but when the other team is determined to run the ball down your throat, you need to be solid up the middle.  Where is Fatukasi?  Where is the stud defensive tackle?  Where is the depth at linebacker who can help stop the run down the gullet? 

The Jets sucked against the run last year, and If I were the opposing team, I would be testing that every chance I could get.  

I understand the concern in the run defense, I share it, but you’re overestimating how often LBs are on the field in this defense. Last year, Mosley was out there 92% of the defensive snaps, Quincy 74%, and Davis was next out of the LBs at 17.5%. Conversely, MC2 was on the field for 65% of the defensive snaps as the primary nickel CB. That’s the base defense in the NFL now, the nickel, and it has been for a long time. They just don’t run more than two the majority of the time, and this was during a 4-13 season when teams didn’t exactly need to throw the ball all over the field to beat the Jets. The main reason they need so many LBs is that they’re usually core special teams guys. 
 
I’m certainly not saying that it’s going to be all wine & roses. This is still a work in progress. But I can understand why LB was not a priority. I suspect they like the kids a lot more than you at WLB, and that another LB can/will probably arrive before the season starts. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

Okay  what this have to do with the topic .  You want to make a bet which offense the Raiders or Jets  is higher in 2022 .   I will gladly do so.  Let me know .

It has nothing to do with the topic I just wanted to make fun of you for being an enormous homer.  Learn to laugh at yourself from time to time.

I agree that the Raiders will have a better offense than the Jets in 2022 (and likely significantly so) so you're barking up the wrong tree there.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the Jets 'Biggest Strength' is going to be the RUN GAME. Followed by the Pass Rush and Secondary, who will complement each other. Both units now have a ton of depth and finally proven vet talent (DJ and Whitehead for the secondary and Lawson at Edge).  

I agree that their biggest weakness will be the LB group. 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, slats said:

I understand the concern in the run defense, I share it, but you’re overestimating how often LBs are on the field in this defense. Last year, Mosley was out there 92% of the defensive snaps, Quincy 74%, and Davis was next out of the LBs at 17.5%. Conversely, MC2 was on the field for 65% of the defensive snaps as the primary nickel CB. That’s the base defense in the NFL now, the nickel, and it has been for a long time. They just don’t run more than two the majority of the time, and this was during a 4-13 season when teams didn’t exactly need to throw the ball all over the field to beat the Jets. The main reason they need so many LBs is that they’re usually core special teams guys. 
 
I’m certainly not saying that it’s going to be all wine & roses. This is still a work in progress. But I can understand why LB was not a priority. I suspect they like the kids a lot more than you at WLB, and that another LB can/will probably arrive before the season starts. 

Still think that an OT and LB who are not currently in the mix will be part of the final 53. Fischer and Alexander are two names we've heard. Suspect Saleh wants to see how the kiddos look in training camp. He would far rather endure growing pains from a young player he believes in if somebody like Mitchell or Sherwood flashes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, slats said:

another LB can/will probably arrive before the season starts. 

All you need is a linebacker who is not on the team, better than the lowest rated linebacker who will be making the team, and the switch is made.  You know, there might be games late in the season, where the elements of nature are not favorable, like in a rainstorm, or when it's 0 degrees outside with high winds, and that is when you could use a thumper at linebacker, who can rotate with other linebackers to help stop the run.  And what if Mosley or Quincy get injured a few games?  Lots of reasons to bring in a 245 pound linebacker who can deal with the tight end or pulling guard and be involved in running plays.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, CSNY said:

If the Jets can be in the top five  in rushing yardage they won’t need to be top ten in overall offense as they won’t have to pass the ball which is just fine by me.

This opinion  Has nothing to do with not trusting Zach as I think he will become a very good  QB but more to do ground and pound offense that I prefer 

Way I see it our schedule is tough and our defense although MUCH better in the back end is still woefully inept and slow at LB and weak against the run up the middle. So we will be behind in many games and rushing mostly goes out the window when you are behind.  We will pass a lot this year and put up some pretty big yardage numbers.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, FootballLove said:

but....brains like Belichick's started bringing back the ground and pound to take advantage of those leaner backers. Or maybe it was Rex who beat Belichick with it. Either way, there's a growing need for those 270 pound ass-thumpers. Just ask those poor helpless defenders who bounced off Derrick Henry in all those ESPN highlights! 

Beliechick just dumped his 'thumpers' for speedier linebackers that are better in coverage so.. 

He was just also absolutely pounded in the playoffs by a team that barely runs the ball

I might wait for a 'ground and pound' team to have success before declaring that it's back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It has nothing to do with the topic I just wanted to make fun of you for being an enormous homer.  Learn to laugh at yourself from time to time.

I agree that the Raiders will have a better offense than the Jets in 2022 (and likely significantly so) so you're barking up the wrong tree there.

Yeah @Raideraholic if you are looking for someone to bet against the Jets with, you chose a bottom 3 mark on this site lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Beliechick just dumped his 'thumpers' for speedier linebackers that are better in coverage so.. 

He was just also absolutely pounded in the playoffs by a team that barely runs the ball

I might wait for a 'ground and pound' team to have success before declaring that it's back.

Jeremy. To me it’s only a matter of time before ground and pound becomes more of a offensive philosophy once again. 
Throughout many posts on this board it has been stated how woeful the Jets rush defense was and how it must improve for the Jets to be competitive which is absolutely true but it flies in the face of most everyone else saying that the NFL is a passing league. Let’s face it a top notch rushing attack even when opponents defense puts everyone up on the line and STILL CAN’T STOP THE RUSH as well as a good stout defense will always be a formula for winning. It’s also a lot of fun to watch when your team is doing the running instead of getting run over like the Jets were last year 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Way I see it our schedule is tough and our defense although MUCH better in the back end is still woefully inept and slow at LB and weak against the run up the middle. So we will be behind in many games and rushing mostly goes out the window when you are behind.  We will pass a lot this year and put up some pretty big yardage numbers.  

Johnny. I can see where after the first eight games the Jets can be 5-3 / 4-4. Just think Ravens and the Cleveland Watsons are very winnable games to start season and I am not of a mind that the schedule is a minefield of unbeatable dynastic teams. Tough teams sure…… unbeatable…..not in my opinion 

I truly believe we can be 10-7 /. 9-8 this year 🙏

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Jeremy. To me it’s only a matter of time before ground and pound becomes more of a offensive philosophy once again. 
Throughout many posts on this board it has been stated how woeful the Jets rush defense was and how it must improve for the Jets to be competitive which is absolutely true but it flies in the face of most everyone else saying that the NFL is a passing league. Let’s face it a top notch rushing attack even when opponents defense puts everyone up on the line and STILL CAN’T STOP THE RUSH as well as a good stout defense will always be a formula for winning. It’s also a lot of fun to watch when your team is doing the running instead of getting run over like the Jets were last year 

It's only a matter of time until bell bottoms become popular again too. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Jets will be Top 10 in offense. Depends somewhat on injuries as always but the Jets offense is loaded. You just refuse to see it.

Tough to be a top 10 offense with bottom 10 QB play.  It's pretty much on Zach right now...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CSNY said:

Jeremy. To me it’s only a matter of time before ground and pound becomes more of a offensive philosophy once again. 
Throughout many posts on this board it has been stated how woeful the Jets rush defense was and how it must improve for the Jets to be competitive which is absolutely true but it flies in the face of most everyone else saying that the NFL is a passing league. Let’s face it a top notch rushing attack even when opponents defense puts everyone up on the line and STILL CAN’T STOP THE RUSH as well as a good stout defense will always be a formula for winning. It’s also a lot of fun to watch when your team is doing the running instead of getting run over like the Jets were last year 

I think there are still quite a few head coaches that want that as their offensive strategy, including our own but I think it is very difficult to accomplish in the NFL right now. First you will have less possessions so you really need a Top defense and consistently  win  the turnover ball. Second  you need to be excellent in the red zone. Third it is difficult to get the personnel to run it. In addition to good RBs you need you need good run blocking offensive lineman and they are harder and harder to find because of the emphasis on passing in college. G&P only works if you have the lead. So what happens is you can win against lesser opponents even get pretty far in the playoffs if you have all the  parts in place, but very hard to win it all because elite passing offenses mostly still beat great defenses, but then your team is unable to win high scoring games. It worked against us because we were so weak on offense

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/30/2022 at 10:37 AM, Claymation said:

Biggest weakness: New York has done a good job of plugging the glaring holes on its roster over the past few offseasons. Linebacker still stands out as a position where the team needs to be better in 2022, though. Returning starters C.J. Mosley and Quincy Williams both earned sub-45 PFF grades last season, stemming largely from how they performed against the run.

Will need the DL to keep the OL off Mosley & Quincy. Need Whitehead to help contain the opponents run game. 

On 7/1/2022 at 10:11 AM, Jethead said:

Fischer and Alexander are two names we've heard

You might see KA signed before camp IMO

On 6/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, Alka said:

I have been screaming this from the rafters for months now.  The Jets did nothing to address the linebacking group, and to me, this was a weakness from last season.  It's like everything got upgraded with the exception of the linebackers.  

We still have the ability to find a trading partner or waiver wire during cutdowns 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think there are still quite a few head coaches that want that as their offensive strategy, including our own but I think it is very difficult to accomplish in the NFL right now. First you will have less possessions so you really need a Top defense and consistently  win  the turnover ball. Second  you need to be excellent in the red zone. Third it is difficult to get the personnel to run it. In addition to good RBs you need you need good run blocking offensive lineman and they are harder and harder to find because of the emphasis on passing in college. G&P only works if you have the lead. So what happens is you can win against lesser opponents even get pretty far in the playoffs if you have all the  parts in place, but very hard to win it all because elite passing offenses mostly still beat great defenses, but then your team is unable to win high scoring games. It worked against us because we were so weak on offense

 

Saleh isn’t looking to be a ground & pound team. The Jets didn’t draft a QB #2 and three WRs in the first two rounds the last couple years because three yards and a cloud of dust is gonna do it. Saleh has spoken both about the difficulties maintaining long drives, and the need for chunk plays. One penalty, sack, or other negative play can end a g&p type team’s drive at any time. They don’t want to be in that position. They 100% plan to run the football a lot, don’t get me wrong, but they want a balanced attack that keeps the defense on its heels.

The Titans are probably the best recent example of a team having some success with this type of offense but they wound up being let down by their QB when it mattered. It’s not gonna stop being a QB driven league. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...