USC, UCLA leaving Pac 12 For Big 10 - College Football is ruining all other college sports

Just announced.  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34173688/source-usc-ucla-considering-move-pac-12-big-ten

College football and this constant realignment for schools to join these mega-conferences is just ruining other college sports.  The remaining Pac 12 schools are left behind in an inferior position. What happens to all of these other athletes?  I've seen great college sports leagues like the Big East get gutted and ruined by the greed that college football creates.  It's a shame.  It's awful.  Basketball, lacrosse, wrestling, and other sports are irreparably damaged by the college football money grab.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, JustEndTheSuffering said:

College football is no longer a regional game. B1G used to be a Midwest conference. UCLA and USC do NOT belong. 

Good. All this sh*t was organized and founded over 100 years ago. There's no need for regions anymore with sports between travel and broadcasting. The difference for a team flying from LA to NJ instead of Washington is only like 3-4 hours now and that's it.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Good. All this sh*t was organized and founded over 100 years ago. There's no need for regions anymore with sports between travel and broadcasting. The difference for a team flying from LA to NJ instead of Washington is only like 3-4 hours now and that's it.

Some of us like the tradition of the regional game. 

• 1 year later...

The PAC 12 is now down to 4 teams and counting. I'm a PAC 12 fan I have their app there are some free games but it's subscription based on some cable systems but not as widespread as ACC, SEC etc. They have no deal with major providers so I can see how the revenue is lower than other conferences. But you'd think with the keynote teams like USC, etc they could have gotten a better deal than the Apple streaming deal they were offering members. I'm going to miss it I mean look at the history the Rose Bowl etc. So now I guess it will be the Big 20 not the Big 10 with them literally eating up most of the PAC 12.  

On 6/30/2022 at 6:04 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Yeah, but......

For football and basketball, yes.

What about the other sports where it is still a student athlete?  I am sure the Rutgers' baseball player appreciates playing a few more years, but he is going to get more out of his degree then that two week roadie on the Est Coast.

6 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Yeah, but......

For football and basketball, yes.

What about the other sports where it is still a student athlete?  I am sure the Rutgers' baseball player appreciates playing a few more years, but he is going to get more out of his degree then that two week roadie on the Est Coast.

They already do road swings in Hawaii and Houston. They'll be fine.

I'm surprised they included Oregon. Without Phil Knight and his money, they're a mid level program at best. Washington, i can understand as Seattle is a major market in terms of tv ad revenue.

Oregon isn't significant on the national stage, as in playoff games won, or a tradition of any kind, aside from 300 uniforms.

On 6/30/2022 at 3:08 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Just announced.  https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/34173688/source-usc-ucla-considering-move-pac-12-big-ten

College football and this constant realignment for schools to join these mega-conferences is just ruining other college sports.  The remaining Pac 12 schools are left behind in an inferior position. What happens to all of these other athletes?  I've seen great college sports leagues like the Big East get gutted and ruined by the greed that college football creates.  It's a shame.  It's awful.  Basketball, lacrosse, wrestling, and other sports are irreparably damaged by the college football money grab.  

I saw it first hand when they took UConn out of the BE and threw them into AAC just because of the football program. Fortunately UConn came to their senses and realigned the basketball programs to the BE and are letting football do what they want. Read recently that Mora is now trying to get the football program into a power 5. Lol. Our football is trash. 

19 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

I'm surprised they included Oregon. Without Phil Knight and his money, they're a mid level program at best. Washington, i can understand as Seattle is a major market in terms of tv ad revenue.

Oregon isn't significant on the national stage, as in playoff games won, or a tradition of any kind, aside from 300 uniforms.

sorry this is just wrong. Oregon is a top program. most consistent in pac 12 for last 15 years. how many playoff games has USC even been in?

20 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

This is literally the case for any program of relevance. Boosters are everything. Oklahoma State athletics rests on one oil tycoon's ego.

20 hours ago, JetsfaninNorthHollywood said:

I agree and don't agree.  

I am not saying Fox/ESPN/CBS do not care about TV markets.  For football, this is probably true for both professional and college, they like to have a huge brand name as well.  Oregon will bring people to the TV.  Stanford and CAL do not.

20 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

They already do road swings in Hawaii and Houston. They'll be fine.

Lol.  Houston is not far from anywhere in the country except for maybe Hawaii.

Advertising revenue from tv markets is pretty significant. Don't get me wrong Oregon has sent some great players into the NFL, going back to Fouts, Moore (later Rashad), Zimmerman, Herbert, Hloti, and Thibodeaux. I know I've missed some, but overall I think they're only "national" because of the Nike marketing machine. Their success has been at the conference level but beyond that well.

2 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Lol.  Houston is not far from anywhere in the country except for maybe Hawaii.

Houston is a 4 hour flight and Oregon is a 6 hour flight. Two episodes of White Lotus on their iPad is negligible at that point.

Again, they've been making long road swings work for a while. They'll be fine.

Also 4-5 hour flights are not far in your book? The fuq are you made out of, that's long as hell.

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

This is literally the case for any program of relevance. Boosters are everything. Oklahoma State athletics rests on one oil tycoon's ego.

That's pretty much the only booster they have. Without him, their a second rate program. The Okies have always been loyal to their brand (be it the Pokes or Sooners) Oregon is a newbie, all style and no substance. When they actually win something beyond conference title, then I'd give them props, til then they should stay in Vogue or GQ 

17 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Houston is a 4 hour flight and Oregon is a 6 hour flight. Two episodes of White Lotus on their iPad is negligible at that point.

Again, they've been making long road swings work for a while. They'll be fine.

Also 4-5 hour flights are not far in your book? The fuq are you made out of, that's long as hell.

Due to the military, I have flown to Asia, Europe and Central America.  4 hours?  PPPffffttt!!!!  The last 20 minutes of a 90 minute Houston to Nashville flight with my grandson in June was the longest 20 minutes ever.  😂

While I agree that by college, especially for a D1 athlete, flying is just a normal daily event and less problematic.  A majority of the affected students are not training to be in the NFL or NBA.  

4 hours ago, PFSIKH said:

Due to the military, I have flown to Asia, Europe and Central America.  4 hours?  PPPffffttt!!!!  The last 20 minutes of a 90 minute Houston to Nashville flight with my grandson in June was the longest 20 minutes ever.  😂

While I agree that by college, especially for a D1 athlete, flying is just a normal daily event and less problematic.  A majority of the affected students are not training to be in the NFL or NBA.  

I don't even wanna go to a place if it's over a 2-hour flight at this point.

• Upvote 1

The PAC 12 is down to only 4 teams so you'd think hard for them to expand and continue as a conference. Their teams that are joining the Big 10 actually accepted half price deals they get an accelerating amount of royalties package that goes up but I think starts around half of what current teams are making. They could function as independents but based on what I've read in this market that won't wash financially. Oregon State is saying they want to continue but others looking at ACC etc. but no deals so far. 

• 4 weeks later...

Bill Murray Reaction GIF

So SMU, Cal and Stanford are in the ACC.  I actually like the SMU addition.  It was a good program before the death penalty and NIL is kind of what they have always done in a way.

Oregon and Wassu are probably in the MWC, but that might become the Pac 12.

All I know the new college football game better have some amazing editing options.