Jeremy Ruckert

19 hours ago, JetBlue said:

I think Yeboah might getting overlooked by some here.  He looked real good in limited action toward the end of the season.  I can see him being CJs eventual replacement and Ruckert, being more the inline blocker, backing up (and eventually replacing) Conklin.   Any way you look at it, our TE room has been improved dramatically.  For the record I was in favor of Ruckert over McBride.  Many of my mocks had us taking him in the 3 or 4th.   Imagine my excitement with JD made it a reality! 

Yes without a doubt.  Because of the numbers game Yeboah could also fall into that Wesco position.  Like you with Ruckert I was excited when we signed Yeboah as a undrafted free agent.  In reality this is all a good problem to have.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NYDreamer said:

Yes without a doubt.  Because of the numbers game Yeboah could also fall into that Wesco position.  Like you with Ruckert I was excited when we signed Yeboah as a undrafted free agent.  In reality this is all a good problem to have.

It’s definitely a numbers game. First they’d have to decide to carry four TEs, because the top three are written in stone. That fourth TE would absolutely have to be a core special teams player. Then it would come down to how they view the position this year. Do they want the blocker in Wesco, or the receiving threat of Yeboah or Cager as that fourth guy? They really are so different it’s almost as if they play different positions. They have two solid blockers in Conklin and Ruckert, which could edge Wesco out. Or, they could be so committed to the run that they want that third blocking TE/FB, instead. 

I do think they’ll wind up carrying four. Who they go with will be a clue as to how they intend to run on offense this year. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/2/2022 at 8:22 AM, Alka said:

The kid's going to get a lot of time on the field.  There are NFL guru's who feel that the 2- tight end offense is the Best in the NFL. The San Francisco 49ers, who the Jets seem to mirror in certain ways, have used the 2 tight end look to dominate their conference in years past. I would say that the 2-tight end set is a 3-4 beater, in that it can be used to neutralize the pass rush.  If this is the case with the Jets, then Ruckert should get plenty of playing time.  Why would the Jets go out and get 2 tight ends in free agency, then use their 4th round pick to pick up a 3rd tight end, unless they planned to do exactly what I'm talking about?

49ers ran 12 personnel 10% of the time last year. Green Bay used it 29% of the time.

SF used 11 48% of the time and 21 which with Deebo morphed into 11 often 34% of the time

GB used 11 61% of the time 

So the statement that SF is using 12 personnel to dominate their conference is completely false. In fact, only 2 teams used it less in the entire NFL.  

Also 12 personnel is most effective when you have a lead and GB obviously had a lead. Obviously these are the 2 offenses closest to us, so we will likely run 12 no more than 20% of the time

• Upvote 1

Ruckert was the WORST pick by far.

The JETS have THE WORST LB group in the NFL.

Hmmm a young stud who can run and hit, from one of the top 2 in the nation college football programs would have been perfect...

If only one was available.

NEXT PICK:

Miami Dolphins- Linebacker Channing Tindall, Univ of Georgia

Not saying will Jamien Sherwood not be All Pro but....

• Thumb Down 4

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

49ers ran 12 personnel 10% of the time last year. Green Bay used it 29% of the time.

SF used 11 48% of the time and 21 which with Deebo morphed into 11 often 34% of the time

So the statement that SF is using 12 personnel to dominate their conference is completely false. In fact, only 2 teams used it less in the entire NFL.  

Also 12 personnel is most effective when you have a lead and GB obviously had a lead. Obviously these are the 2 offenses closest to us, so we will likely run 12 no more than 20% of the time

This is a little misleading, though, because the 9ers ran a FB most plays, in addition to a TE. For the Jets, they would run 2TE more than 1TE/1FB, with Conklin having the ability to play either in-line or lead block as an H-Back.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, #90 said:

Hmmm a young stud who can run and hit, from one of the top 2 in the nation college football programs would have been perfect...

NEXT PICK:

Come on man. Ruckert is a very nice prospect. Lb isn’t very valuable. There’s usually only 2 on the field at once. Cj has the one spot on lock. The young guys can share reps and grow in the other. The coaching staff seem to really like Quincy and Sherwood. Nas can back them up with the other guy we brought in. Who knows a camp cut might be worth bringing in 

13 minutes ago, #90 said:

NEXT PICK:

Sure, because a midround LB is always a lock to be an effective starter.

There was nothing wrong with the Ruckert pick.  Especially if your primary reasoning is "WE NEEDED TEH LB", not anything negative you have to say about Ruckert himself.

• Upvote 4

53 minutes ago, #90 said:

NEXT PICK:

They found Quincy of the scrap heap last year and he looks like he can be a solid contributor. I trust Douglas where he’ll be able to find a guy who can be serviceable 

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

This is a little misleading, though, because the 9ers ran a FB most plays, in addition to a TE. For the Jets, they would run 2TE more than 1TE/1FB, with Conklin having the ability to play either in-line or lead block as an H-Back.

Well like I side they ran 21 personnel 34% of the time. Some of that might be more 12 oriented as you mentioned and a lot of that was disguised 11 because of Deebo. If we ascribe all 56% of the times they ran in 21 as 12 then the 12 number is still only 29% roughly the same as Green Bay. Now the team that did try and do what you suggest is Miami who ran 12 61% of the time.

Now it is true that 12 personnel is the 2nd most common personnel grouping. In fact most teams round 12 and 11 combined more than 80% of the time many in the 90% range.

SF is an outlier but again that is mostly Deebo. 

Some interesting other facts: 

Atlanta's numbers are really skewed because of Pitts

Cleveland ran 13 personnel 17% of the time

15 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I appreciate the report, but disagree with your conclusion. I expect a lot of 12/21 groupings, with a second TE lined up either on the line or in an H-back/FB type role. If you take LaFluer at his word, the offense is tailored to maximize the personnel. In GB, it’s obviously maximizing Rodgers (they drafted three WRs this year), and in SF -as you said- it’s Deebo being featured a lot as a second running back. 

For the Jets, the TEs will be a big part of the training wheels package they’re putting together for Zach. They’re building an offense designed to run despite the QB in an effort to take any pressure off of the QB. It’s clearly calculated to help a young player who seemed to struggle mentally -not so much intellectually as psychologically- last year. A lot of running the football, and throwing to the TEs and RBs out of those same formations. How large a percentage of the time they do that will be dependent on how successful they are with it. If they’re moving the chains, it will be 40-50% of the time. If they struggle, they’ll go into obvious passing down situations (3+ WRs) more frequently. Either way, I expect it to be well higher than 20% of the time. 

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, slats said:

I appreciate the report, but disagree with your conclusion. I expect a lot of 12/21 groupings, with a second TE lined up either on the line or in an H-back/FB type role. If you take LaFluer at his word, the offense is tailored to maximize the personnel. In GB, it’s obviously maximizing Rodgers (they drafted three WRs this year), and in SF -as you said- it’s Deebo being featured a lot as a second running back. 

For the Jets, the TEs will be a big part of the training wheels package they’re putting together for Zach. They’re building an offense designed to run despite the QB in an effort to take any pressure off of the QB. It’s clearly calculated to help a young player who seemed to struggle mentally -not so much intellectually as psychologically- last year. A lot of running the football, and throwing to the TEs and RBs out of those same formations. How large a percentage of the time they do that will be dependent on how successful they are with it. If they’re moving the chains, it will be 40-50% of the time. If they struggle, they’ll go into obvious passing down situations (3+ WRs) more frequently. Either way, I expect it to be well higher than 20% of the time. 

We will see. I somewhat disagree with your premise based on some things that Saleh has said and the fact we drafted Wilson so high and spent decent money on Berrios to retain him.  They are just not going to sit Wilson and Berrios 50% of the time and run Davis/Moore as the only WR. I think 21 will be REALLY rare. GB was 61/29 on 11 and 12 and I think that will be around where we are best case, but LaFleur likes gadget plays and this is a good 10 personnel group as well so that will be used sometimes in lieu of 12 and if our defense is weak again 12 becomes less and less viable

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, slats said:

FWIW I think the Jets are NOT doing a training wheels package at all but just getting rid of some of the things that worked poorly for him (which actually was a lot of the 12 stuff but we had grocery store baggers at TE)

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

We will see. I somewhat disagree with your premise based on some things that Saleh has said and the fact we drafted Wilson so high and spent decent money on Berrios to retain him.  They are just not going to sit Wilson and Berrios 50% of the time and run Davis/Moore as the only WR. I think 21 will be REALLY rare. GB was 61/29 on 11 and 12 and I think that will be around where we are best case, but LaFleur likes gadget plays and this is a good 10 personnel group as well so that will be used sometimes in lieu of 12 and if our defense is weak again 12 becomes less and less viable

I’d be surprised if the Jets run much 21 and if Conklin shows he’s capable of lining up in the backfield I could see not carrying a traditional fullback - the roster is going to be tight as is.

I think in terms of guys they trust they’re going to have 2-3 tight ends, 4-5 receivers, and a few backs but will be pretty much one back on the field. Think between that and there not really being a superstar (barring someone emerging) they’ll be rotating through those 6-8 guys a bunch for those (mostly) 4 non RB spots.

You bring up Deebo a lot - he lined up in the backfield so much because of injuries. Ultimately I think which guys stay healthy is going to dictate what formations they actually end up running more than anything.

17 hours ago, derp said:

I’d be surprised if the Jets run much 21 and if Conklin shows he’s capable of lining up in the backfield I could see not carrying a traditional fullback - the roster is going to be tight as is.

I agree in that I think you’ll be seeing a lot more 11 Personnel packages  with 3 WR sets this season, now that we have a good WR group. Moore, Davis & Wilson and adding Berrios on certain packages with an empty backfield. 
Interesting article I’ve added below. 

17 hours ago, johnnysd said:

FWIW I think the Jets are NOT doing a training wheels package at all but just getting rid of some of the things that worked poorly for him (which actually was a lot of the 12 stuff but we had grocery store baggers at TE)

In the plot below, there is a positive relationship between having 3+ receivers on the field and averaging more yards per game. Of the teams below the trend line, just the #steelers made the playoffs in 2021. Every team above the trend line also won at least 8 games last season

image.jpeg.01f2e2e020e7e8e8b620f65fff25e350.jpeg

In reference to the table above, ALL those teams running a lot of 3 WR sets & making the playoffs have above avg. to great QB play. 

Maybe we start with 12 personnel packages and let Zach get comfortable. I’d really to see the offense have a good balance. 

19 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Well like I side they ran 21 personnel 34% of the time. Some of that might be more 12 oriented as you mentioned and a lot of that was disguised 11 because of Deebo. If we ascribe all 56% of the times they ran in 21 as 12 then the 12 number is still only 29% roughly the same as Green Bay. Now the team that did try and do what you suggest is Miami who ran 12 61% of the time.

Now it is true that 12 personnel is the 2nd most common personnel grouping. In fact most teams round 12 and 11 combined more than 80% of the time many in the 90% range.

SF is an outlier but again that is mostly Deebo. 

Some interesting other facts: 

Atlanta's numbers are really skewed because of Pitts

Cleveland ran 13 personnel 17% of the time

San Fran has Kyle Juszczyk who averaged 40 snaps a game last year. They run 21 personnel with him at FB and Kittle at TE.

In 2020, SF ran 21 personnel 33% of the time and in 2019 they ran it 29% of the time. This is all before the Deebo hback role which came to be in the 2nd half of 2021.

33 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I agree in that I think you’ll be seeing a lot more 11 Personnel packages  with 3 WR sets this season, now that we have a good WR group. Moore, Davis & Wilson and adding Berrios on certain packages with an empty backfield. 
Interesting article I’ve added below. 

In the plot below, there is a positive relationship between having 3+ receivers on the field and averaging more yards per game. Of the teams below the trend line, just the #steelers made the playoffs in 2021. Every team above the trend line also won at least 8 games last season

image.jpeg.01f2e2e020e7e8e8b620f65fff25e350.jpeg

Says the R2 is only 0.053. That’s really low and doubt it passed any meaningful significance level. An R2 that low is basically saying the model is not a good fit.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Only six or seven teams had a higher percentage of 3+ WR sets last year, and I imagine the reasons were a combination of having nothing at TE and being behind most of the time. They may still be behind a lot this year, but they’ve improved dramatically at TE.

Having all those WRs on the field did not help their offensive output last season, as they were 26th in total yards. Jets were dead last in that category defensively. Another overlooked category is time of possession, which effects both sides of the ball, and where the Jets ranked 29th last year. IMO, that last number might be the most important one to improve upon, and they can/will do that by committing to, and executing, the run game and those high percentage passes. This is what I believe they’re planning for this season, which in turn would mean a lot more 12/21 personnel than we saw last year. 

Another clue is how the roster changed from last year to this one. They lost Crowder and Cole at WR, and only added Garrett Wilson. GW should represent a talent upgrade, but the WR number is down. At TE, they lost a couple scrubs and added two productive veterans and one of the top prospects in the draft. Couple that with RB where they lost virtually no one and added the draft’s #1 prospect and the shift in philosophy should be more apparent. 

• Upvote 1

Ruckert was picked to ensure that we will be able to consistently run the football and protect zach regardless of injuries to the top 2 TEs.  Having a combo of 2 of our 3 TEs can let the rushing attack be dominant and have 6 pass protectors in the game with 3 WRs and a RB who can catch balls.  

Im thrilled to see what LaFleur can do with this TE room.

We are amassing some really nice young and vet talent.  Breece Hall, Elijah Moore, Garrett Wilson, MC 2, Berrios, Conklin, Ozamah, Ruckert, JJ, Becton, Lawson, QW (LB), Sauce, Hall (cb), AVT, Tomlinson, Mitchell, Zach. JD has done an admirable job in revamping this roster. And next year our cap will allow for some new pieces as well. Looking good ? 

JD:  Hey Rays Pizza. It’s been a busy day. I’m hungry. Gimme 2 pies with sausage, mushrooms, red/green peppers, anchovies, pepperoni, black olives, onion, xtra cheese, bacon, tomato and buffalo chicken. 

oh and 2 liters Coca-cola, make it Diet Coke 

ok that’s it. I gotta watch my diet. 

403AAD55-7908-4122-9051-7C416362A469.jpeg