Jets Wire: PFF on ZW

addage

6 hours ago, Warfish said:

And I hate it when people value long-shot "potential" to maybe produce close to top levels....over actual guys who actually produce at a top level.

I’m so over “potential” (which is subjective anyhow). Give me some good old fashioned smooth-brained-analysis production.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

Seems pretty rare that a blockbuster free agent signing works out. Usually, the player isn’t worth the money spent on them because it is a salary capped league. Cousins is not good enough to overcome the damage his price tag does to a roster. The Viking actually have more cap space than the Jets right now, but their payroll isn’t nearly as balanced. They only have 20 players making over $2M this season while the Jets have 29. Jets also have seven players over $10M to the Vikes five. It’s not about saving cap dollars, as frequently gets whined about in here, but rather spending them wisely. 

I’m particularly interested to see how these massive WR trades/contracts end up working out. I’d’ve been excited if JD landed one of those big fish, but maybe relieved that he didn’t. 

You're talking about now when the cap has increased since Cousins was signed. The Vikes needed to retain their players 4-5 years ago when they actually had them. This is my whole point ... at the time they needed  the players 35 mil was a huge contract the Vikes could not sustain and they lost important players now its up to 40 even 50 mil to retain or sign a big name QB and it will keep going higher. Rodgers had to be re-signed that cost them one of the best WR's in the NFL who do they have now ? Mahomes had to get 50 Mil and the fire sale has just begun with Tyreek Hill ...so if KC does hit on some draft picks who they relying on at WR 

You say Cousins is not good enough to live up to that contract or carry the team but its not all about the QB and Like I said not everyone is Tom Brady and not many FA QB's ever win a SB only one I can remember who stepped in and did that ? Once again Tom Brady . Cousins is more than good enough to win a SB but he's not Brady and neither is anyone else. 

We are basically saying the same thing in reference to what a QB Signing does to a team but its hard for me to blame Cousins in this instance because no QB has ever lived up to the expectations of being a FA QB to go on and win SB's

13 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Simplest solution:  A QB cap.  You can only spend up to X % of your team's cap in a given season on a QB.  So as the cap goes up, QB salaries will also, while still protecting your cap space with the rest of the roster.

I think 15 % of a team's cap is a fair number.  So the QB salary max would be the following if it had already been instituted:

• 2022 (Total Cap:  $208.2M) - QB Max:  $31.2M
  • 2023 (Cap:  $225M) - QB Max:  $33.8M
  • 2024 (Cap:  $256M) - QB Max:  $38.4M

And so on.  

Naturally, someone like Bill Belichick would try to circumvent this rule by listing no QB's on the roster or something, so you have to add in protections for any loopholes like that.  But this seems like the easiest method to make things better across the league. 

And I can't imagine an instance where the NFLPA would be against it, as it would really only impact about 20 players negatively at any given time while benefitting the pockets of the rest of the league.

Good Idea but once again its not all about the QB and when I said there should be a percentage lower toward the cap for drafted players the QB usually comes into play as well. Free Agency surely helps players pocket books but its destroys sports in general especially football because of the complexity of the game and not knowing if a player will work in one system as apposed to another. Its would be like asking a gun slinger like Joe Namath or Brett Favre to run the west coast offense some idiot owners and GM's would actually think that could work

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

Good Idea but once again its not all about the QB and when I said there should be a percentage lower toward the cap for drafted players the QB usually comes into play as well. Free Agency surely helps players pocket books but its destroys sports in general especially football because of the complexity of the game and not knowing if a player will work in one system as apposed to another. Its would be like asking a gun slinger like Joe Namath or Brett Favre to run the west coast offense some idiot owners and GM's would actually think that could work

If you look at the last 20 SB winners, all but 3 were led by QBs that either are already in or probably will one day be in the HOF.

There are many roads to a championship but the vast majority of them begin with an elite QB.

Of course, the best case scenario is you draft one and get elite production from him during his rookie contract. But having and paying one a huge contract is better than the alternative of not having one at all.

While I think few would dispute that Cousins has elite raw production numbers, reasonable minds I suppose can disagree whether he is “elite” as a total package. I think he plainly is, personally, because to me a QB is defined by his production over signifiant timeframes.

• Upvote 1