Jump to content

Why did Sam Darnold fail to develop into a good NFL QB?


Darnold?  

131 members have voted

  1. 1. Why did Sam Darnold fail to develop into a good NFL QB? (Check all that apply)

    • Lack of Overall Athleticism
      6
    • Lack of Vision / "In Game" Awareness
      104
    • Poor Technique / Passing Skills
      50
    • Lack of Great Leadership Skills / Not Seen as Inspiring or a "Winner" by Teammates
      28
    • Inadequate Work Habits / Lazy / Insufficient Commitment to the Game
      16
    • Immaturity / Lacked Social or Interpersonal Skills to Succeed
      12
    • Was Never Surrounded with Enough Quality Players to be Successful
      58
    • Was not mentally "tough" - not a "fighter"
      34
    • Poor Coaching / Bad System
      68
    • Other
      14


Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Slow processing. Bad mechanics. 

He wasnt good in college.  He was lucky that he played out of his mind in a rose bowl game that the nation was watching.  Outside of that game, he was a bad qb in college.

Jet fans think they were handed a good qb and blew it.  In reality, the jets were handed crap and it stayed crap.

He was a terrific college QB on a comparative basis in his 2 years as a starter.   He clearly was a top college QB who struggled at the next level. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darnold could not process what was happening around him in sufficient time to get successful plays. Led to many mistakes.  #1 flaw was the slow computer chip in that Southern California head.  He had all the physical gifts.  The same could be said for Mark Sanchez.  At least Sanchez had success early on with a very good team around him for a short time. Darnold had one of the worst OLs in the league which was like throwing gasoline on fire.   But now that he's failed elsewhere (as did Sanchez) it's pretty clear they weren't starter caliber in todays very fast NFL.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

not like Zach who had that great win against

*check notes*

UCF in the Boca Raton Bowl in 2020

no no wait  - I meant the Hawaii Bowl in 2019 against Hawaii.

What's that? BYU lost the Hawaii Bowl? Holy hell.

Well then i meant the famous Idaho Potato Bowl against Western Michigan in 2018. 

I kid, I kid, his real signature win was against USC in 2019 vs Kedon Slovis. 

 

 

 

 

No disagreement that he faced lesser competition. But then again so did Josh Allen, whose completion percentage against weaker teams was much worse than Zach's. And because of that, the "experts" on this site were declaring him to be the second coming of Christian Hackenberg.

In the end, despite playing against lesser opponents, it was clear that both were the best players on the field for their teams. That's why these guys end up being drafted early. Sometimes it works out. Often it doesn't.

We'll find out soon enough with Zach.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

No disagreement that he faced lesser competition. But then again so did Josh Allen, and his completion percentage against those weaker teams was much worse than Zach's.

In the end, despite playing against lesser opponents, it was clear that both were the best players on the field for their teams. That's why these guys end up being drafted early. Sometimes it works out. Often it doesn't.

We'll find out soon enough with Zach.

Josh Allen is not an argument for. He’s an argument against. There’s a reason he is THE example that’s always given.

One And Only Sport GIF by UFC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Darnold could not process what was happening around him in sufficient time to get successful plays. Led to many mistakes.  #1 flaw was the slow computer chip in that Southern California head.  He had all the physical gifts.  The same could be said for Mark Sanchez.  At least Sanchez had success early on with a very good team around him for a short time. Darnold had one of the worst OLs in the league which was like throwing gasoline on fire.   But now that he's failed elsewhere (as did Sanchez) it's pretty clear they weren't starter caliber in todays very fast NFL.  

You’d think after Leinart and Sanchez league pundits would be more pragmatic about USC QBs…

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sourceworx said:

Sam was overhyped as a prospect based on one game his sophomore year.

His last season at USC really wasn't that great.  Some considered him to be a generational prospect along the lines of Andrew Luck or Peyton Manning ("He has the It Factor!!!"), yet if you watched him objectively it was clear that he wasn't. 

It also didn't help that he was drafted by Mike Maccagnan, who was the anti-Midas. Everything that guy touched turned to dogsh!t.

Started to write a response, but then saw your post.  It's all right there.  Perfect.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

not like Zach who had that great win against

*check notes*

UCF in the Boca Raton Bowl in 2020

no no wait  - I meant the Hawaii Bowl in 2019 against Hawaii.

What's that? BYU lost the Hawaii Bowl? Holy hell.

Well then i meant the famous Idaho Potato Bowl against Western Michigan in 2018. 

I kid, I kid, his real signature win was against USC in 2019 vs Kedon Slovis. 

 

 

 

 

Yeah, because failing over the course of 4 seasons in the NFL is exactly the same as a rookie season .

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

not like Zach who had that great win against

*check notes*

UCF in the Boca Raton Bowl in 2020

no no wait  - I meant the Hawaii Bowl in 2019 against Hawaii.

What's that? BYU lost the Hawaii Bowl? Holy hell.

Well then i meant the famous Idaho Potato Bowl against Western Michigan in 2018. 

I kid, I kid, his real signature win was against USC in 2019 vs Kedon Slovis. 

 

 

 

 

You’re not allowed to malign a Jets starting QB until he is off the team, after that, it’s beating a dead horse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Slow processor and a tremendous pu$$y.

But nice kid and all so stop being MEAN guys

Don’t draft boogie boarders from SoCal, tobogganers from Denver, or rodeo clowns from Oklahoma. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yeah, because failing over the course of 4 seasons in the NFL is exactly the same as a rookie season .

 

Have to say, it is a little discouraging that Darnold had a better rookie year than Zach. 

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...