Baker traded to Carolina

I've never quite understood the illogical QB dynamic in the NFL.  The 'you have to name a starter' the you have be the one and only leader, the you can only have one main guy in the room.

Mayfield is being paid a huge amount of money, the browns should have said you are our qb until watson gets back with no problems at all, like any other position.

If watson is gone for most of a year or a year, mayfield should be their qb this year.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll be 100% honest here.

For a Conditional 5th, I'd have traded to bring Baker Mayfield here, and immediately cut Old Man Flacco and Mr. White, saving a roster spot for something more useful.

Zach succeeds, Baker is amazing backup for however many games Zach misses (and he will miss games IMO).

Zach fails, Baker is the solid-enough-Veteran-who-still-cares who can step in and play and win, and bridge us to the next Draft Pick QB.

Win/Win for pennies on the dollar.  

It's the Baker salary and contract that's the kicker. That extra roster spot would be only a body on the cheap/minimum. I liked Baker, and I think he can be serviceable as well, but I am sure he wants to go somewhere where he can start. If Zack does well, he would want out, and he would be tough to trade again (although his acquisition price was not prohibitive.)

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bungaman said:

It's the Baker salary and contract that's the kicker. That extra roster spot would be only a body on the cheap/minimum. I liked Baker, and I think he can be serviceable as well, but I am sure he wants to go somewhere where he can start. If Zack does well, he would want out, and he would be tough to trade again (although his acquisition price was not prohibitive.)

We could afford it.  

If Zach does well, I'd be happy to let Baker out.

These aren't issues that would worry me.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'll be 100% honest here.

For a Conditional 5th, I'd have traded to bring Baker Mayfield here, and immediately cut Old Man Flacco and Mr. White, saving a roster spot for something more useful.

This is an interesting idea and the math checks out as the 5 mil Carolina is paying Mayfield roughly equates to the 3.5 they are paying Flacco plus the 2.5 for Mike White - (other Baker numbers, CLE absorbs 10.5, Mayfield takes a haircut for 3) 

only problem is the Jets, like most NFL teams, don't let the QB's compete.

They coronate a QB over a particular offseason

the signing of Joe Flacco was a gutless move that prevents this kind of gamble. I'll never understand that "mentor" backup QB nonsense. 

If Mark Brunell, i mean, Joe Flacco plays the season is screwed. how is that worth 3.5 Million? 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You have to take into account the Tim Tebow-ish side show this would create.

No, I really don't.

I don't believe competition and pressure makes athletes worse.  I believe it makes them better.

Damn right Zach should feel pressure, and that if he falters, someone is after his job.  

If Zach plays well, it's a non-issue.  It's only an issue if Zach sucks again, and in that circumstance, I'd like a 2nd QB who can win.  Not an old man cashing checks.

The back pages going nuts, the press conferences, Zach having to answer questions about this constantly, the locker room dynamic changing.

I could care less about NY's horror-show of a tabloid media.  

none of that is worth renting baker mayfield as a backup for one year.

Sure it is, because having Mayfield > Flacco is better for winning football games.  

And that is all I care about, winning football games.

Not massaging a starters ego, or avoiding tabloid journalism, but winning games.  

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 2

5 minutes ago, David Harris said:

You have to take into account the Tim Tebow-ish side show this would create.  The back pages going nuts, the press conferences, Zach having to answer questions about this constantly, the locker room dynamic changing.

none of that is worth renting baker mayfield as a backup for one year.

So toughen up, pretty boy.

• WTF? 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Forget it.  Rosen is committed to his janitorial gig at a Brighton Beach Orthodox Shul.

And going over his manager’s head because he thinks counter-clockwise swirls with the toilet brush are better than clockwise.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well the product on field looks pretty decent this year we shall see. I just don’t understand what else people wanted him to do given what he walked into. 

You haven't even seen the product on the field this year. 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, bitonti said:

This is an interesting idea and the math checks out as the 5 mil Carolina is paying Mayfield roughly equates to the 3.5 they are paying Flacco plus the 2.5 for Mike White - (other Baker numbers, CLE absorbs 10.5, Mayfield takes a haircut for 3) 

only problem is the Jets, like most NFL teams, don't let the QB's compete.

They coronate a QB over a particular offseason

the signing of Joe Flacco was a gutless move that prevents this kind of gamble. I'll never understand that "mentor" backup QB nonsense. 

If Mark Brunell, i mean, Joe Flacco plays the season is screwed. how is that worth 3.5 Million? 

Avoiding competition because you are afraid it will break your QB’s confidence is like never opening a bridge to traffic because you’re afraid it will collapse if cars drive on it.