Baker traded to Carolina

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I've never quite understood the illogical QB dynamic in the NFL.  The 'you have to name a starter' the you have be the one and only leader, the you can only have one main guy in the room.

Mayfield is being paid a huge amount of money, the browns should have said you are our qb until watson gets back with no problems at all, like any other position.

If watson is gone for most of a year or a year, mayfield should be their qb this year.

Because if they asked Baker to be the starter he would tell them he’ll collect his $19M and GFY.  

45 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Oofff....

When you look at it on paper it’s even worse than anything Idzik McCagnan Gettleman Matt Millen ever did WOW JUST WOW  How does this guy still have a job 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

i highly doubt that mayfield would have been willing to forgo ~$3MM of his salary to go to the jets, so those thinking the jets get the same deal as the panthers are probably misguided.  unless cleveland was willing to eat more salary, it would have cost about $8MM for the jets to get mayfield to back up/compete with wilson.

i understand not wanting to pay flacco whatever he makes to be a "mentor".  but teams aren't usually in the habit of bringing in high-profile competition to young QBs, especially QBs they just invested a high 1st round pick in.  after his rough first year, the bills didn't bring in some vet to challenge josh allen.  they had matt barkley as his backup, which means no challenge at all.  the jags didn't bring in competition to challenge lawrence, the niners (assuming they eventually part ways with jimmy g) aren't challenging lance, the bears aren't challenging fields, etc...  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

That 2018 class turned out to be not so great. And the one that was the biggest “risk” was the only one who panned out

Yeah Allen was a clear 4th in almost all rankings that year. 

Mayfield to Carolina was always sort of obvious. I thought they would just swap Darnold for Mayfield but apparently Cleveland thinks Darnold is useless. 

I also think Rhule will botch this whole situation spectacularly. They will have a pretty toxic QB room with Baker/Sam and a terrible environment for Corral

The QB situation in Carolina has been handled at an epic failure level. It's funny too because most media thought that Carolina got a steal in Darnold. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I also think Rhule will botch this whole situation spectacularly. 

One of my few crystal ball predictions that panned out. Not that we're any good now but I never got the hype for him. 

1 hour ago, IndianaJet said:

Oofff....

I've already won in 2022, I love this! 

NY Jets are the most d dysfunctional team in the league...

Browns... hold my beer.... let's trade for the highest paid perv in the league who can't play. Then we have a serviceable qb who could fill in but we don't want so we'll trade him for a nothing pick and cover $15m of his salary...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Cleveland should have swapped Mayfield for Darnold.  Can Darnold be that bad to be not even worth a competition in Browns camp? 

Browns saved money by not bringing in Darnold. That would’ve put them over $70M at the QB position. 

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

The Vikings are nearly as big a joke with their placement on this list. At least the Rams, Bills, and Packers win more than they lose. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I'll be 100% honest here.

For a Conditional 5th, I'd have traded to bring Baker Mayfield here, and immediately cut Old Man Flacco and Mr. White, saving a roster spot for something more useful.

Zach succeeds, Baker is amazing backup for however many games Zach misses (and he will miss games IMO).

Zach fails, Baker is the solid-enough-Veteran-who-still-cares who can step in and play and win, and bridge us to the next Draft Pick QB.

Win/Win for pennies on the dollar.  

Baker is not here the same way Jamal is no longer here the same way the Jets didn't draft Thibodeaux... They Are ALL ME 1st type of guys with Extremely polarizing personalities... JD & Saleh Want guys with High character & a TEAM 1st mentality... JD's draft picks and free agent signings show just that... I for one AGREE 100% with what JD and Saleh are doing. 

26:45 mark... The Navy Seals Skill

• Upvote 4

29 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Yeah Allen was a clear 4th in almost all rankings that year. 

Mayfield to Carolina was always sort of obvious. I thought they would just swap Darnold for Mayfield but apparently Cleveland thinks Darnold is useless. 

I also think Rhule will botch this whole situation spectacularly. They will have a pretty toxic QB room with Baker/Sam and a terrible environment for Corral

The QB situation in Carolina has been handled at an epic failure level. It's funny too because most media thought that Carolina got a steal in Darnold. 

He was?  I remember Allen being on the top of a bunch of boards for most of his senior season and people on here ranting that you can never improve completion percentage, so he was a do not touch.  Around the draft, I think people had Allen down.  Am I mis-remembering? 

1 hour ago, usanyj said:

Crazy to think he went one and Sam went three, and they have both disappointed to the point they are on the same team and traded within years of being drafted.

And Rosen never panned out either {is he on any team?} so in the end, Allen and Lamar were the class of that class. Who woulda known it... 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DLJ said:

Darnold to Seattle?

I wonder if the Panthers pursued Garoppolo at all. Because the 49ers now find themselves with no one to trade him to but Seattle, and why would their division rival give anything for him when they know they’re their only option? 

The only reason is, well, they traded for Jamal. But that’s not a very good one. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

I wonder if the Panthers pursued Garoppolo at all. Because the 49ers now find themselves with no one to trade him to but Seattle, and why would their division rival give anything for him when they know they’re their only option? 

The only reason is, well, they traded for Jamal. But that’s not a very good one. 

If Watson is suspended for the year, I can see the Browns making a push for Garoppolo as a fill in over Jacoby Brissett.

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I think SF is waiting for a QB injury which would increase his value especially if it is a contender.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Baker’s big mistake was playing through his injured shoulder last year.

People forget how good he was his rookie year (27 TD’s) and in 2020.

Baker’s not elite, but big upgrade over darnold. Especially since they’re only paying him $5 million. Hell, for that amount I’d take him on the jets. 

Yeah but he was playing on a loaded team as well.

28 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Nor have you, so….

And? I've seen what we've been trotting out there. 

It's a subpar product on the field until we are shown otherwise. 

Of all people, I thought this would be a take you were 100% in line with. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Johnny…….  Rhule is way way past the botched stage of the QB situation he’s at the point now that he’s praying Mayfield saves his job. If mayfield flops Rhules out and Carolina cleans house 

28 minutes ago, jetsons said:

If Watson is suspended for the year, I can see the Browns making a push for Garoppolo as a fill in over Jacoby Brissett.

Disagree. How much more money are the Browns going to throw away at the QB position. The Browns just got to suck it up this year pray that the defense plays exceptionally well and then hope Watson doesn’t get an indefinite suspension. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

He was?  I remember Allen being on the top of a bunch of boards for most of his senior season and people on here ranting that you can never improve completion percentage, so he was a do not touch.  Around the draft, I think people had Allen down.  Am I mis-remembering? 

There were a few guys like Mel Kiper who had him number 1. PFF was really loud that year and really touted Baker. They trashed Allen so much it felt like he was the second coming of the Hack Attack.

There really wasnt a consensus. Generally it was

1/2 Darnold and Rosen

3 Baker

4/5 Lamar and Allen

Only two guys worked out. The two projects.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Baker’s big mistake was playing through his injured shoulder last year.

People forget how good he was his rookie year (27 TD’s) and in 2020.

Baker’s not elite, but big upgrade over darnold. Especially since they’re only paying him $5 million. Hell, for that amount I’d take him on the jets. 

Yup. You can win with a guy like Baker. He’s not trash. He was really good as a rookie. Pure chaos in year 2. Year 3 he was good again. And then the shoulder injury.

He’s story is not final yet. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Robbie already commented on it.  He would have no issue playing with Baker Mayfield.  He was just sticking up for his qb, nothing against baker.

Yeah and the good news is at least we got Robbie to make sense of the whole thing for us...He was kind enough to post this on his IG yesterday. The man is a true scholar ?

NSFW

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

I'll be 100% honest here.

For a Conditional 5th, I'd have traded to bring Baker Mayfield here, and immediately cut Old Man Flacco and Mr. White, saving a roster spot for something more useful.

Zach succeeds, Baker is amazing backup for however many games Zach misses (and he will miss games IMO).

Zach fails, Baker is the solid-enough-Veteran-who-still-cares who can step in and play and win, and bridge us to the next Draft Pick QB.

Win/Win for pennies on the dollar.  

Baker has won nothing. Joe Flacco is a former Super Bowl MVP, I’m glad I know your kidding or I would be seriously worried about you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2