2022 Trade Candidates: current roster

Most Jet fans would agree JD has done a very good job trading ‘assets’ he doesn’t see as fit or who are more valuable to other teams.  

The Jets now have some quality depth in a few key areas, and the numbers game may present some interesting trade opportunities.  Given his history, I’d expect JD to continue to be aggressive & add future draft picks or flip to fill areas of need.

These are mine, how about yours?

1. Denzel Mims:  drafted for a different offensive system, has an intriguing athletic profile

2. Mike White:  worth a mid round flyer to a QB needy team.  Expect him to be showcased during the preseason to prove he can consistently move an offense with better talent

3. Edge surplus:  could a guy like Bryce Huff be moved if Clemons shows promise during the preseason?

4. CB  surplus:  Bryce Hall or Brandon Echols?  Wouldn’t be shocking..  would it?

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Most Jet fans would agree JD has done a very good job trading ‘assets’ he doesn’t see as fit or who are more valuable to other teams.  

The Jets now have some quality depth in a few key areas, and the numbers game may present some interesting trade opportunities.  Given his history, I’d expect JD to continue to be aggressive & add future draft picks or flip to fill areas of need.

1. Denzel Mims:  drafted for a different offensive system, has an intriguing athletic profile

2. Mike White:  worth a mid round flyer to a QB needy team.  Expect him to be showcased during the preseason to prove he can consistently move an offense with better talent

3. Edge surplus:  could a guy like Bryce Huff be moved if Clemons shows promise during the preseason?

4. CB  surplus:  Bryce Hall or Brandon Echols?  Wouldn’t be shocking..  would it?

Thoughts?

Huff yes, none of the others.  You’re not getting anything back of value and white May be the long term backup for the Jets 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Huff yes, none of the others.  You’re not getting anything back of value and white May be the long term backup for the Jets 

White essentially has to go.   Every Wilson incomplete pass will have Jets "fans" screaming for White.

• Thumb Down 3

6 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Thoughts?

Not sure I'd say there's a surplus at edge.  What they have is zero proven guys and four dudes who might be anywhere from pretty damn good to pro-bowl good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hawk said:

White essentially has to go.   Every Wilson incomplete pass will have Jets "fans" screaming for White.

He absolutely does not have to go.   He’s not getting traded.  We need a backup QB more than a 6th or 7th round pick.
No Jet fan sitting in the stadium will scream for him to come in with every incomplete pass.   

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I don’t like backup QBs who cry on their clipboards, sorry

If I were in Darnold’s inner circle I’d advise him to keep his head down this year, pray for Baker’s health, cash his last check and retire at 24 with 30 mill in his pocket and go pursue whatever his passion is in life.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

Only guy I see us potentially trading is Mims. But I would keep him. He committed himself this offseason. He is not a complete mismatch with this system either. Mims can play the X receiver role Corey Davis plays. Leg him continue to back Davis up. Depth is a good thing.

Baker just went for a conditional 5th in 2024 despite Cleveland eating half his contract. Mike White isnt being traded.

I expect Huff to make the time as the 5th edge and I also wouldnt trade our CBs.

If by any chance we do trade any of those players, I would much prefer to get a player back.

• Sympathy 1

i don't see many jets players immune from being traded at any time.  i'm sure we can leave out zwilson, the oline, the new te's, wr's wilson, berrios, moore down, rb's carter and hall.  on defense we can leave out jfm, qwill, lawson, quwill, gardner, reed, carter, joiner, whitehead, bryce hall, echols and hennessey.  mosley has a cap restriction.  i think all other players are fair game especially if douglas can beef up the linebacker corp.

10 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Would not trade Huff. I would consider trading Q. Not worth the contract he will demand.

I just don't  understand fans wanting to trade the teams best players because they have to pay them. It's  pretty much why we watched Leo have double digit sacks on the Giants.  

10 hours ago, hawk said:

As long as White is not demanding a trade or making demands, he will have a job on the Jets. The guy isn't  a starter but he is a nice insurance policy.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, hawk said:

You mean we need to get someone even less promising in the QB room than a 4-year yet who had never thrown an NFL pass in order to protect #2's delicate confidence?

This kid must be softer than Sam Darnold's stool after the Orange County Avocado Festival, if that's the case.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, y2k8 said:

I think if Mims puts anything positive on tape in preseason, some team will be interested. 

I see it in a similar light.  Same with Mike White who might not want to sign back with the jets next year unless Wilson falters or busts.  He’s a confident guy who will look for a better opportunity to play.  Why wouldn’t he?

Meaning now is the time to maximize both their trade value IF the Jets feel they won’t be a big part of this year’s plans.

Mims is the easier one since the Jets are in good shape at WR.  

White is the tougher one.  Flacco is a competent backup but Wilson hasn’t yet proven he’s the guy.  I lean toward keeping White for that reason.  I see him as overhyped before his 3 game run imploded last year And now under appreciated as many have overcorrected their assessment of him. 

We’ll see if that sentiment changes if he moves the offense during preseason.  And that’s must I’m expecting him to do.

12 hours ago, hawk said:

Which would be a good reason to keep him. 

If Mike White is that good, he should be playing.  If he isn't, we won't get anything for him.  

11 hours ago, AFJF said:

Not sure I'd say there's a surplus at edge.  What they have is zero proven guys and four dudes who might be anywhere from pretty damn good to pro-bowl good.

Fair point.  Although my count is a little different excluding Huff who has shown he can be quality pass rushing depth when healthy (a big if).

1. Carl Lawson:  proven but coming back from injury

2. Jacob Martin:  proven quality backup.  That’s why the Jets gave him $6M guaranteed

3. Vinny Curry:  proven rotational piece on a good defensive line in Philly but now 34 and coming back from some health issues

4. JFM:  proven starter who might remain at Edge on running downs (although I have a sneaky suspicion he might move inside full time)

5. JJ:  unproven but a rookie first rounder who will be given every opportunity to play

6. Micheal Clemons:  unproven but drafted in the 4th round 

4 proven Edges excluding Huff but 3 with question marks.  Training camp and preseason are going to answer a lot of these questions.

I don't really disagree with the list, but I think Mims is the only one that would command more than a 6th, 7th or conditional pick.  The rest of those guys are probably staying unless they are cut.  Maybe they would move Becton if they really had an issue with him, but if that were a thing, they'd have probably done it already and I don't see a viable backup plan yet.

3 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Only guy I see us potentially trading is Mims. But I would keep him. He committed himself this offseason. He is not a complete mismatch with this system either. Mims can play the X receiver role Corey Davis plays. Leg him continue to back Davis up. Depth is a good thing.

Baker just went for a conditional 5th in 2024 despite Cleveland eating half his contract. Mike White isnt being traded.

I expect Huff to make the time as the 5th edge and I also wouldnt trade our CBs.

If by any chance we do trade any of those players, I would much prefer to get a player back.

I pretty much agree with this.  Maybe we can get something for Mims - someone who liked him in the draft process, runs a different offense and is willing to part with a day 3 pick or a player at a position they have a surplus.

Maybe someone who needs a back up QB throws us a conditional 7 for White just to avoid the waiver process.

But even those I think are long shots.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, hawk said:

I am also confused as to White's role on this team. Not sure why you would want a guy that is just talented enough and young enough to create an awkward situation if Zach struggles. Mike White is not young enough to develop or old enough to be considered a vet to lean on for Zach. While I have no issues with Flacco on this team I am surprised they unceremoniously realeased Josh Johnson. He was not a threat to Zach's progress and was successful when called on

3 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

I just don't  understand fans wanting to trade the teams best players because they have to pay them. It's  pretty much why we watched Leo have double digit sacks on the Giants.  

If I had to guess I would say that double digit season had more to do with it being a contract year. His best sack season with the Jets was 7, after his contract he settled back down to 6.5.  If that’s worth the contract he got them it would certainly be a ding on the Jets. I’d give it a couple more seasons before deciding that though. Q is pretty comparative as far as sacks go. 

4 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Fair point.  Although my count is a little different excluding Huff who has shown he can be quality pass rushing depth when healthy (a big if).

1. Carl Lawson:  proven but coming back from injury

2. Jacob Martin:  proven quality backup.  That’s why the Jets gave him $6M guaranteed

3. Vinny Curry:  proven rotational piece on a good defensive line in Philly but now 34 and coming back from some health issues

4. JFM:  proven starter who might remain at Edge on running downs (although I have a sneaky suspicion he might move inside full time)

5. JJ:  unproven but a rookie first rounder who will be given every opportunity to play

6. Micheal Clemons:  unproven but drafted in the 4th round 

4 proven Edges excluding Huff but 3 with question marks.  Training camp and preseason are going to answer a lot of these questions.

IMO:

1: Lawson hasn't proven he can stay healthy and coming back from an injury that may have cost him a step.

2. Martin.  Six QB hits and 4 sacks in 14 games?  Has some potential but hasn't done enough to be viewed as much more than a rotational guy who might get you a sack once a month.

3. Curry: Not sure why he's viewed as a pass rusher.  Last time he had more than 5 sacks was 2014.  Since then he has averaged roughly 3 sacks and 10 hits per year.

4. JFM: He'll be playing inside where he does his best work.

5. JJ and Clemons.  High ceilings, but we know nothing about how they'll do. 

6. Huff.  This is his year to show what he can do.  We've heard a ton about his ability to win his matchups, but an atrocious secondary has made that largely irrelevant through his first two seasons.  If the secondary is legit, he should see a huge uptick in production.

• Upvote 1

I know the last 10 years have scarred us all, but we're allowed to have cheap, quality depth on the roster.  I can perhaps see Mims just because he's seemingly fallen out of favor with the coaching staff,  but given all the injuries we've sustained over the past few years, wouldn't you rather have a guy who can step up in 2022 over a future draft pick?  I don't know.. I'm ready to start winning some games.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

If I had to guess I would say that double digit season had more to do with it being a contract year. His best sack season with the Jets was 7, after his contract he settled back down to 6.5.  If that’s worth the contract he got them it would certainly be a ding on the Jets. I’d give it a couple more seasons before deciding that though. Q is pretty comparative as far as sacks go. 

I don't think in this system Q is going to get high sack numbers unless he starts playing the way Bosa did in SF. Bosa I believe was in this same D where they had this heavy  rotation of DL but he had a lot more snaps than this 30 or 35 percent that was talked about recently. 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I don't think in this system Q is going to get high sack numbers unless he starts playing the way Bosa did in SF. Bosa I believe was in this same D where they had this heavy  rotation of DL but he had a lot more snaps than this 30 or 35 percent that was talked about recently. 

Yeah, entirely possible, honestly not that knowledgeable of it. But I would imagine Bosa has a modestly different athletic profile than Q. 

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I think if Mims puts anything positive on tape in preseason, the Jets will be interested...

Considering Corey Davis and Mims are the only really large physical receivers I’d imagine if he does that could also be a reason to not trade him. I’m honestly not sure how many more seasons Davis has on his contract.