5 Legendary Moments in the History of the NY Jets

Bill Parcells

The height of the offseason is here. Free agency, the NFL draft, and even mini-camp are all behind us now. As we hope better days await for the Jets, let’s take a brief walk down memory lane and take a look at 5 legendary moments in franchise history.

5. Playoff Win Against the Colts 41-0. Back in 2002, the Jets beat the Colts in the playoffs 41-0 at home, which came as a huge shock at the time (for the Colts, it was an embarrassment). This was the Herman Edwards, you play to win the game year. It was a home playoff game and many season ticket holders weren’t expecting it. So they didn’t send in their playoff money. Imagine that, one of the biggest wins in Jets history and many season ticket holders weren’t there for it. If you’re a Jets fan who wants to bet on future games, you can start by checking out the latest NFL odds.

4. First Round Playoff Win Against the Chargers. Three years after embarrassing the Colts, the Jets beat the San Diego Chargers (once again in the first round of the playoffs). Before this game, the Chargers were in red hot form, which is why this victory was seen as so pivotal at the time.

3. Signing Curtis Martin. Curtis Martin is widely regarded as one of the best NFL players of all time (almost any diehard NFL fan will agree with this sentiment, RIP Savage69). Of course, Curtis Martin spent the vast majority of his career with the Jets after leaving the New England Patriots via free agency. In 2012, Martin was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, where there was a particular focus on the legacy he left behind at the Jets. In simple terms, he’s a true Jets icon.

2. Hiring Bill Parcells – a legend in many people’s eyes – was the head coach for the NY Jets from 1997 to 1999. During this period, he turned the franchise around, and the results were almost immediate after he arrived. Also, the Patriots vs. Jets rivalry was ignited around 1997, with Parcells being one of the driving forces behind this.

1. Winning Super Bowl III. Joe Namath and his guarantee. Nothing else needs to be said. The Jets were Super Bowl champions.

Honorable Mention:  The playoff win against the Jacksonville Jaguars at home. What other moments do you consider to be great for the Jets? Stop by our forums and let us know what you think.

The post 5 Legendary Moments in the History of the NY Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 2

No listing of great moments in Jets history can be complete without some nodd to the early 80's team.   The playoff win against the Raiders perhaps.   How about the mid 80's.....The Ken O'Brien/Dan Marino shootout was classic.   O'Brien to Walker, 5 TDs including the game winning bomb in OT.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, Beerfish said:

RE #4, I am not sure if I have been more angry with one player over one play in my sports life than I was with Eric Barton.

The fumble Keith Byers had in Denver always gets me upset as we were headed to the Super Bowl but momentum took over and we didn't. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, JetNation said:

Bill Parcells

The height of the offseason is here. Free agency, the NFL draft, and even mini-camp are all behind us now. As we hope better days await for the Jets, let’s take a brief walk down memory lane and take a look at 5 legendary moments in franchise history.

5. Playoff Win Against the Colts 41-0. Back in 2002, the Jets beat the Colts in the playoffs 41-0 at home, which came as a huge shock at the time (for the Colts, it was an embarrassment). This was the Herman Edwards, you play to win the game year. It was a home playoff game and many season ticket holders weren’t expecting it. So they didn’t send in their playoff money. Imagine that, one of the biggest wins in Jets history and many season ticket holders weren’t there for it. If you’re a Jets fan who wants to bet on future games, you can start by checking out the latest NFL odds.

4. First Round Playoff Win Against the Chargers. Three years after embarrassing the Colts, the Jets beat the San Diego Chargers (once again in the first round of the playoffs). Before this game, the Chargers were in red hot form, which is why this victory was seen as so pivotal at the time.

3. Signing Curtis Martin. Curtis Martin is widely regarded as one of the best NFL players of all time (almost any diehard NFL fan will agree with this sentiment, RIP Savage69). Of course, Curtis Martin spent the vast majority of his career with the Jets after leaving the New England Patriots via free agency. In 2012, Martin was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, where there was a particular focus on the legacy he left behind at the Jets. In simple terms, he’s a true Jets icon.

2. Hiring Bill Parcells – a legend in many people’s eyes – was the head coach for the NY Jets from 1997 to 1999. During this period, he turned the franchise around, and the results were almost immediate after he arrived. Also, the Patriots vs. Jets rivalry was ignited around 1997, with Parcells being one of the driving forces behind this.

1. Winning Super Bowl III. Joe Namath and his guarantee. Nothing else needs to be said. The Jets were Super Bowl champions.

Honorable Mention:  The playoff win against the Jacksonville Jaguars at home. What other moments do you consider to be great for the Jets? Stop by our forums and let us know what you think.

The post 5 Legendary Moments in the History of the NY Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

Shout out was great!!!!   I vividly remember all except SBIII, I was too young.  BUT, I don't remember the signing of Curtis as being headlines breaking but I was down here in NC , internet and such were in their infancy.

25 minutes ago, CSNY said:

List is limited but the Bengals playoff game when Freeman ran for 200 yards was a great game as it was never in doubt 

Also a much better playoff game than Jets - SD.   Cincinnati was in the SB the year before and were a favorite to get there again that season. 

The Raider playoff game with Alzado ripping Wards helmet off and throwing at him was a great game also.  Darrel Rays 90 yards int return

• Upvote 4

If signing a FA RB or a HC are memorable moments how is the drafting of Namath, stealing him away from the established NFL not a memorable moment?

The list was put together by a 40-50 year old I’m guessing?

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

RE #4, I am not sure if I have been more angry with one player over one play in my sports life than I was with Eric Barton.

Eric Barton could have been a younger generation version of Gastineau agaisnt the Browns.  But Nate Kaeding saved his ass.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Mud Bowl

Flying Lawn Mower Decapitation

"We Want The Pumpkin !!!"

Butt Fumble

Fake Spike

Sanchez caught on TV eating a hot dog on the bench.

Darnold's pick six on his first attempt ever in a regular season game. 

Blair Thomas Fumble in Chicago.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

Eric Barton could have been a younger generation version of Gastineau agaisnt the Browns.  But Nate Kaeding saved his ass.

Gastineau was not the real culprit in that Browns game.  If you watch it from start to finish, you'll see that the refs gave the Browns every single break they could.  The Jets got snaked big time by the officiating crew. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Lith said:

Couple of games that come to mind that I have not seen mentioned - maybe not for top 5, but great memories nonetheless.

Namath - Unitas duel in Baltimore.  We won 44-34.  Game set all sorts of passing records.  Joe threw for nearly 500 and 6 TDs.  Unitas for nearly 400.  Two aging all time greats doing battle and both looking young again.

Playoff win in 68 against the Raiders to get in the SB thanks to a couple of huge Namath-Maynard connections.

Richard Todd leading come from behind win with last minute drive against Miami in 81 to tie for first.  After a decade of awful football, that game showed that we had finally turned the corner.

I forgot the Namath Unitas game, had the Raiders playoff game at Shea too.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Mud Bowl

Flying Lawn Mower Decapitation

"We Want The Pumpkin !!!"

Butt Fumble

Fake Spike

If you’re going for all negative moments list you have to include Belichick resigning as the "HC of the NYJ." 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Gastineau was not the real culprit in that Browns game.  If you watch it from start to finish, you'll see that the refs gave the Browns every single break they could.  The Jets got snaked big time by the officiating crew. 

I would agree with you, but for a different reason.  The Gastineau hit extended a drive, but I think the Browns were still at about their own 30.  Defense had a lot of chances to make a play, but on the last 3 Brown drives, 2 in regulation and one in OT, the whole defense sucked. 

Gastineau may have made the play that is remembered, but it was a collapse by all 11 on that side of the ball.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not blaming refs. Gastineau hit him late had to call it. If he didn’t get flagged there was a cornerback (forget his name) that hit him late  as well if I remember correctly 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Lith said:

I would agree with you, but for a different reason.  The Gastineau hit extended a drive, but I think the Browns were still at about their own 30.  Defense had a lot of chances to make a play, but on the last 3 Brown drives, 2 in regulation and one in OT, the whole defense sucked. 

Gastineau may have made the play that is remembered, but it was a collapse by all 11 on that side of the ball.

Granted but that was a forth down play if I recall with less than 3:00 minutes to go and Cleveland out of or one timeout left. Jets get off the field run some more time off the clock and Cleveland comeback is all the more difficult being down 10 

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

Hey!  Screw you!  Russell had an INT!

4 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Granted but that was a forth down play if I recall with less than 3:00 minutes to go and Cleveland out of or one timeout left. Jets get off the field run some more time off the clock and Cleveland comeback is all the more difficult being down 10 

No.  It was second down.  Would have been 3rd and long.  The penalty hurt us, but we had chances to get a stop after that and couldn't. 

The Barton play was 4th down.  Gave SD a 1st and goal at the 1.  Game would have been over but for that hit.  

33 minutes ago, Lith said:

Richard Todd leading come from behind win with last minute drive against Miami in 81 to tie for first.  After a decade of awful football, that game showed that we had finally turned the corner.

On the flip side of Todd that dam interception in the open end zone at Shea of the Buffalo playoff game in 81 was a great game as well though the outcome really really sucked. Opening kickoff Harper fumbled and Bills run it in Down 21-3 at half only to lose 28-24. Old Shea was really rocking during the last five minutes as you could feel the upper deck moving Everyone in the place was on their feet jumping up and down just hoping for the comeback to be completed but ….. well…. we all know the outcome 😔

• Upvote 1