5 Legendary Moments in the History of the NY Jets

29 minutes ago, CSNY said:

On the flip side of Todd that dam interception in the open end zone at Shea of the Buffalo playoff game in 81 was a great game as well though the outcome really really sucked. Opening kickoff Harper fumbled and Bills run it in Down 21-3 at half only to lose 28-24. Old Shea was really rocking during the last five minutes as you could feel the upper deck moving Everyone in the place was on their feet jumping up and down just hoping for the comeback to be completed but ….. well…. we all know the outcome ?

I missed that playoff game.  Suffered through an entire decade of bad football.  For the first time as an adult, my team makes the playoffs, and my sister chooses that day, December 27, 1981 to get married. To a Dolphin fan of all people.  I remember getting updates on the score all day, knowing we were coming back, but I missed the game.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

If you’re going for all negative moments list you have to include Belichick resigning as the "HC of the NYJ." 

Yep. Cant leave out the way he did it.  After meeting Johnson, he wrote his resignation on a table napkin. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Eric Barton could have been a younger generation version of Gastineau agaisnt the Browns.  But Nate Kaeding saved his ass.

Shotty senior played for the longer field goal and kaeding missed, and we win the game.

Herm, learning form this, does the exact same thing next week and Brien misses and we lose.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I missed that playoff game.  Suffered through an entire decade of bad football.  For the first time as an adult, my team makes the playoffs, and my sister chooses that day, December 17, 1981 to get married. To a Dolphin fan of all people.  I remember getting updates on the score all day, knowing we were coming back, but I missed the game.

I remember that game vividly not only for the game itself but I had just gotten my season tickets two years prior to that and was able to take my Dad   After all the sporting events he took me too (first Mets home game at the Polo Grounds, Jim Bunnings perfect game on Father’s day are a couple) I was able to treat him with the tickets I bought and paid for purchased the case of beer that we were able to bring into the games at tfat time It was one of my proudest days for me at that age to able to take him and pay for everything. He’s gone 16 years now and still miss him 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, Lith said:

No.  It was second down.  Would have been 3rd and long.  The penalty hurt us, but we had chances to get a stop after that and couldn't. 

The Barton play was 4th down.  Gave SD a 1st and goal at the 1.  Game would have been over but for that hit.  

And it wasn't like it was a borderline call.  Barton really messed up on that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lith said:

I would agree with you, but for a different reason.  The Gastineau hit extended a drive, but I think the Browns were still at about their own 30.  Defense had a lot of chances to make a play, but on the last 3 Brown drives, 2 in regulation and one in OT, the whole defense sucked. 

Gastineau may have made the play that is remembered, but it was a collapse by all 11 on that side of the ball.

I’ve always contended that the Gastineau gets too much blame.  You’re so right, they still had to go the length of the field to score.  I think that was the drive that Jerry Holmes had a bad PI call for a big gain too.  
What I cursed out more than any other play was brain dead Joe Walton having O’Brien run into the OL trying to kill the clock, not knowing the rule back in the day that a sack inside of 2 minutes of the half or game stopped the clock.  Of course the sneak was stopped behind the OL and goes in as a sack.  Lead to the tying score

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Sanchez caught on TV eating a hot dog on the bench.

I have never understood why that was supposed to be an issue or problem or whatever.  Seriously. Guys sh*t in buckets in tarp tents on the sidelines and piss themselves on the field,  but that was a "bad look"? 

Not kidding, still don't get it. 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have never understood why that was supposed to be an issue or problem or whatever.  Seriously. Guys sh*t in buckets in tarp tents on the sidelines and piss themselves on the field,  but that was a "bad look"? 

Yeah, totally.  I didn't find it a big deal either.  Just funny.  But there is no question it was a Jet moment on TV during his era.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, PorP said:

Remember that one time when Bobby Boucher came back and the mud dogs won the bourbon bowl

That should be on the list. 

Edit: @jgb this is outlandish and meant as a joke.?

Now who missed the joke?

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

On 7/7/2022 at 9:46 AM, THE BARON said:

Gastineau was not the real culprit in that Browns game.  If you watch it from start to finish, you'll see that the refs gave the Browns every single break they could.  The Jets got snaked big time by the officiating crew. 

yep.  i distinctly remember mcneil getting face masked on a run play that, if successful, would've given the jets a first down and all but seal the win.  he didn't make the first down and the refs didn't call the penalty.  i can't remember if it was before or after gastineau's roughing call.  i just know it was late in the game.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 10:48 AM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think it was more his posture. You can't be all hunched over eating phallic food. Posture up and take it like a man, but don't make eye contact with anyone either.

• Haha 1

On 7/6/2022 at 9:36 PM, JetNation said:

Bill Parcells

The height of the offseason is here. Free agency, the NFL draft, and even mini-camp are all behind us now. As we hope better days await for the Jets, let’s take a brief walk down memory lane and take a look at 5 legendary moments in franchise history.

5. Playoff Win Against the Colts 41-0. Back in 2002, the Jets beat the Colts in the playoffs 41-0 at home, which came as a huge shock at the time (for the Colts, it was an embarrassment). This was the Herman Edwards, you play to win the game year. It was a home playoff game and many season ticket holders weren’t expecting it. So they didn’t send in their playoff money. Imagine that, one of the biggest wins in Jets history and many season ticket holders weren’t there for it. If you’re a Jets fan who wants to bet on future games, you can start by checking out the latest NFL odds.

4. First Round Playoff Win Against the Chargers. Three years after embarrassing the Colts, the Jets beat the San Diego Chargers (once again in the first round of the playoffs). Before this game, the Chargers were in red hot form, which is why this victory was seen as so pivotal at the time.

3. Signing Curtis Martin. Curtis Martin is widely regarded as one of the best NFL players of all time (almost any diehard NFL fan will agree with this sentiment, RIP Savage69). Of course, Curtis Martin spent the vast majority of his career with the Jets after leaving the New England Patriots via free agency. In 2012, Martin was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, where there was a particular focus on the legacy he left behind at the Jets. In simple terms, he’s a true Jets icon.

2. Hiring Bill Parcells – a legend in many people’s eyes – was the head coach for the NY Jets from 1997 to 1999. During this period, he turned the franchise around, and the results were almost immediate after he arrived. Also, the Patriots vs. Jets rivalry was ignited around 1997, with Parcells being one of the driving forces behind this.

1. Winning Super Bowl III. Joe Namath and his guarantee. Nothing else needs to be said. The Jets were Super Bowl champions.

Honorable Mention:  The playoff win against the Jacksonville Jaguars at home. What other moments do you consider to be great for the Jets? Stop by our forums and let us know what you think.

The post 5 Legendary Moments in the History of the NY Jets appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

This is a really bad list outside of #1 which is obvious. Signing Martin? Signing Parcells? Child, please. 2010 over NE was a more legendary moment IMO.

On 7/7/2022 at 10:40 AM, Beerfish said:

Shotty senior played for the longer field goal and kaeding missed, and we win the game.

Herm, learning form this, does the exact same thing next week and Brien misses and we lose.

This....I wish I could have marked one than more reaction on this....I laughed, but also an upvote and sad.   It is maddening to this day that fans still blame Brien for that loss.   That was all Herm.   a simple playfake to martin and a screen pass in the flat probably nets 10 yards.   No lets run Martin up the middle once and then take a knee to lose an extra yard or too, while the stats guys are flashing a graphic noting that no one at the time had ever made a field goal in that direction from that distance....Complete stupidity.   I don't ever remember being as mad as I was regarding the jets as at the end of that game.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:40 PM, munchmemory said:

Yeah, totally.  I didn't find it a big deal either.  Just funny.  But there is no question it was a Jet moment on TV during his era.

My take, it was a media created controversy because Jets.   My take at the time, the league had been kicking dirt on us for decades....its about time we kicked some one's a** and got to laugh and have a good time at their expense on the sideline.

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2022 at 1:48 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Not to mention the only reason I played Pop Warner was to get that free hot  dog and hot chocolate after the game. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/7/2022 at 7:46 AM, THE BARON said:

Gastineau was not the real culprit in that Browns game.  If you watch it from start to finish, you'll see that the refs gave the Browns every single break they could.  The Jets got snaked big time by the officiating crew. 

Gastineau always takes a hit because he was often a "me" player - but he absolutely was not that day.  On a D that was banged up and short-handed, including playing hurt himself, he really stepped up his game - even making some nice stops against the run (which he had a reputation for not caring as much about).  The roughing call was correct but, as someone else mentioned, a blitzing DB (Carl Howard) hit Kosar at the same time, so it wasn't outrageously egregious, especially for someone who was pushing himself to maximum effort.  

I rewatched that game a few years back, and the lasting memory of Gastineau for me was him lingering on the bench after the game, completely exhausted and demoralized after leaving it all on the field, knowing that he possibly cost his team the game.  You can't say he didn't care that day.

• Upvote 1