The Top Five Most Popular Jets of All Time

10 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Meh, to the majority of us he's an old guy that embarassed himself more than a few times in the national media. For your generation, I imagine it's what seeing Lewis and Clark in their elder years must have been like. Sure, you know what they did, you've even heard the stories about Sacajawea! But there's old Clark in front of you and all you see is this old guy on too much ale trying to hit on 30-year-olds at the pub. Just a sad sight.  

You are a sad person that I pity too much to debate.

• Upvote 1

Winston Hill and Matt Snell are two of my favorites.  They dominated what at the time was considered one of the greatest defenses of all time.    Also love Marvin Powell.  Quietly dominated and was one of the most productive players we ever had.  

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Revis is the antithesis of a "popular" player.  Someone earlier talked about Namath embarrassing the Jets.  Revis' career was all about embarrassing the Jets and was just one big money grab.  Half of Jets fans hate him and without the lame "I'm not old and never saw him play" excuse.  

that's true.  you don't get the nickname mevis by being loved by the fans.  but i'm sure he was plenty popular in 2009 and 2010 and even 2011.

11 hours ago, CSNY said:

To this day Joe Namath doesn’t have to pay for a dinner whenever he goes out in NYC. People line up to just to get a glimpse of him whenever he walks into a room. 

9 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

People line up to take pictures with Winston from Ghostbusters.

Posting something this snarky about the greatest player in Jets history and the impact Namath had on professional Football in general 

Sad you don’t get much attention in life 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Majority?  He’s still the face of this organization and always will be.  It’s like saying Seaver isn’t the franchise anymore.  
Other than on MNF when did he embarrass himself?  
If people can’t understand his importance and popularity because they didn’t see him or see enough of him there are too many examples of how silly that is outside of Lewis and Clark.  I didn’t see Ruth or a lot of Mays, they’re still popular yanks and giants

Hasn’t Namath been sober since the Kolber thing too? In the long run probably good that it happened. Wasn’t it also the 40 year reunion? He had a few too many, oh well. Espn probably should have known better. 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Hasn’t Namath been sober since the Kolber thing too? In the long run probably good that it happened. Wasn’t it also the 40 year reunion? He had a few too many, oh well. Espn probably should have known better. 

Yes and yes.  They were partying for hours.  Kolber has said she blames herself, she knew he had too many before going on air and should never have done the interview.  

A couple of years ago the NFL or NFLN did a vote on who’s the coolest NFL player of time Joe Namath won.  
Joe Namath is still one of the most popular NFL players not just the Jets

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Yes and yes.  They were partying for hours.  Kolber has said she blames herself, she knew he had too many before going on air and should never have done the interview.  

A couple of years ago the NFL or NFLN did a vote on who’s the coolest NFL player of time Joe Namath won.  
Joe Namath is still one of the most popular NFL players not just the Jets

He’s also still a huge fan of the team. 

• Sympathy 1

Mods please change my screen name to KevinMawaelives
Kevin Mawae will always be a Titan to me.

Yes I know he played here longer .. but there are others more deserving to be on this list.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He’s also still a huge fan of the team. 

And promotes the Jets every time he’s interviewed. 

It’s inconceivable that two or three can actually argue against Joe Namath’s popularity.  
Just as inconceivable as a 40 or 50 something year old arguing that being 65 years old makes you part of some far off generation that’s out of touch.    

• Upvote 1

.. additions for me ...

Al Toon
Freeman McNeil
OB
Rob Moore
Mark Gastineau
Marvin Jones
Jonathan Vilma

Was going to add Thomas Jones .. but he is kind of a Bear. FUG it ..at that dude anyway was a baller.

Surprised not to see V Gholston, Blair Thomas, S Darnold, B Ratliff and the indomitable M White

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Posting something this snarky about the greatest player in Jets history and the impact Namath had on professional Football in general 

Sad you don’t get much attention in life 

I wouldn't accuse any fan of being a fake fan but those who sh*t on Joe really highlights how silly it is to slander fans who are skeptical of the Jets revolving-door of QBs as "not Real Jets Fans™."

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slats said:

This is basically all I need to know about you. 

Really, I though my Kirk Cousins > Sam Darnold and Ryan Fitzpatrick > Geno Smith opinions was all you needed to know about me.

I guess you just needed that final third data point to be sure. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Really, I though my Kirk Cousins > Sam Darnold and Ryan Fitzpatrick > Geno Smith opinions was all you needed to know about me.

I guess you just needed that final third data point to be sure. 

Lol. I know you try to pin this homer bull**** on me, but you’ll struggle to find a single post where I call either of those guys good QBs. In fact, I could probably go back and find posts declaring that I didn’t want to draft them at all. I just don’t harp on the negative all the ****ing time. We’ve got plenty enough of that around here. Same with Zach now. My confidence level is not particularly high, but I was raised to say nothing if I have nothing nice to say. 

But -geez, dude- never once in my life have I heard someone list Metallica above the Beatles. That’s just some severely bad taste right there. I’m quite confident the boys in Pink Floyd view them quite differently. 

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, jgb said:

I wouldn't accuse any fan of being a fake fan but those who sh*t on Joe really highlights how silly it is to slander fans who are skeptical of the Jets revolving-door of QBs as "not Real Jets Fans™."

Man Namath should get a lifetime hall pass from Jets fans barring going full OJ or something 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol. I know you try to pin this homer bull**** on me, but you’ll struggle to find a single post where I call either of those guys good QBs. In fact, I could probably go back and find posts declaring that I didn’t want to draft them at all. I just don’t harp on the negative all the ****ing time. We’ve got plenty enough of that around here. Same with Zach now. My confidence level is not particularly high, but I was raised to say nothing if I have nothing nice to say. 

But -geez, dude- never once in my life have I heard someone list Metallica above the Beatles. That’s just some severely bad taste right there. I’m quite confident the boys in Pink Floyd view them quite differently. 

Emergency Medicine Bite Tongue GIF by FemInEM

13 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Man Namath should get a lifetime hall pass from Jets fans barring going full OJ or something 

Perhaps we're just conditioned to hate it when other football fans enjoy success. Even if those fans are our fathers.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Warfish said:

I can't speak for everyone else, only myself. 

MY Top 5 Favorite Jets looks nothing like this list.

1. Al Toon
2. Nick Mangold
3. Wayne Chrebet
4. Joe Klecko
5. Curtis Martin

Honorable Mentions:  Chad Pennington and Ken O'Brian

The pre-my-birth guys, Namath and Maynard and their ilk, I totally get why they'd be so popular with the geriatric set, but it was before I was alive.  They're not "my" Jets.  

No idea why Mawae would be so popular, I get he was very good, but he wasn't exactly a ball of personality by my memory (maybe I've forgotten).  I respect him, but he was never a favorite of mine.

Loved both of those guys.  Imagine Chad without the injury issues or O'Brien with out the pocket awareness issues ??? Both would be world beaters. 

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

I officially forgave Joe as soon as he assisted me in getting my Medicare supplement. 

Joe is lucky to have had his little moment of weakness before #MeToo.

Good timing is a critical skill for a FQB.

7 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Loved both of those guys.  Imagine Chad without the injury issues or O'Brien with out the pocket awareness issues ??? Both would be world beaters. 

Imagine Geno with 40 additional IQ points.

Imagine Jamarcus Russel with a few extra gives-a-f@cks.

Imagine Revis without his lust of money.

Imagine Gastineau without Brigitte Nielsen.

Imagine OJ without rage issues.

Imagine Josh Gordon sober.

Imagine Jason Pierre-Paul with 10 fingers.

Imagine Brett Favre without his wiener hanging out.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I officially forgave Joe as soon as he assisted me in getting my Medicare supplement. 

Not seeing Chrebet or Toon hocking supplemental health insurance.  
Joes on TV all day even in Florida in those ads. 

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, slats said:

I'm gonna ignore all the over-reaction to what was (or should have been) an obvious joke about our most consistent differences of opinion (Fitzy and Cousins, and the alternatives available at those times)......

You seem to be having the same problem as CPA.  Favorite =/= Greatest.

The Beatles are the greatest Pop-Rock band of all time, and likely the single most influential band of all time.  

Metallica is one of my favorite bands.  As is the Floyd.  And the Dead.  For the most part, I can take or leave the Beatles, they don't do it for me (with a few notable exceptions, the live version of Don't Let Me Down from the recent documentary was pretty exceptional, as are a few other select songs).

I'm also not into Elvis.  Despite Elvis being up there with the Beatles in "greatest" musical history importance.  I'm also not into Sinatra.  Or Beethoven ( I prefer Chopin's nocturnes for my Classical music choices).

You may be one of the most intelligent people I spar with here at JN slats, and I DO mean that as a compliment.

So I REALLY shouldn't have to explain the difference between favorite and greatest here to someone as bright as you.

And lol, I've got no apologies to make having the Floyd, the Dead and Metallica as my three favorite bands, your "bad taste" comment non-withstanding.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Imho, this is one of your hair splitting things that I just find amusing. Especially when you refute your own parameters to name Floyd and the Dead as two of your favorite bands when most of their careers took place before you were taking notice. 

I’m too young to have experienced Super Bowl III, but I’m old enough that I did get to see Joe Namath play in the ‘70s. He’s definitely a major reason why I’m a fan, but it’s not like the history of the franchise predates me by all that much. I don’t really understand the logic that you had to be there at the time for them to be a favorite. My favorite president was dead before I was born, my favorite artist was at the end of his life when I was just discovering him., etc. 

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And lol, I've got no apologies to make having the Floyd, the Dead and Metallica as my three favorite bands, your "bad taste" comment non-withstanding.

I don’t know, I think maybe you should apologize for Metallica. They’re really just not very good. And the Dead is just country music for people who like acid. I like Floyd, though! :) 

1 minute ago, slats said:

Imho, this is one of your hair splitting things that I just find amusing.

Greatest vs. Favorite isn't "hair-splitting". 

Tom Brady is the greatest QB who ever played the game.  He most certainly isn't my favorite QB. 

And that distinction isn't "hair splitting".

Especially when you refute your own parameters to name Floyd and the Dead as two of your favorite bands when most of their careers took place before you were taking notice.

An issue I addressed earlier.  Sports =/= Music perfectly, and I admitted my original analogy was quite imperfect.

I’m too young to have experienced Super Bowl III, but I’m old enough that I did get to see Joe Namath play in the ‘70s.

I'm not.

He’s definitely a major reason why I’m a fan

He played absolutely no role in my becoming a fan or staying a fan.  The early-mid-80's Jets did that.

I don’t really understand the logic that you had to be there at the time for them to be a favorite.

I guess you don't.  At this point, not much more I can say to try and help you.

I don’t know, I think maybe you should apologize for Metallica. They’re really just not very good. And the Dead is just country music for people who like acid. I like Floyd, though! :) 

I appreciate you enjoy baiting me, but I'm not biting. 

I respect everyone likes and enjoys different music, and I don't need people to like what I like to like it.  Sorry.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Imho, this is one of your hair splitting things that I just find amusing. Especially when you refute your own parameters to name Floyd and the Dead as two of your favorite bands when most of their careers took place before you were taking notice. 

I’m too young to have experienced Super Bowl III, but I’m old enough that I did get to see Joe Namath play in the ‘70s. He’s definitely a major reason why I’m a fan, but it’s not like the history of the franchise predates me by all that much. I don’t really understand the logic that you had to be there at the time for them to be a favorite. My favorite president was dead before I was born, my favorite artist was at the end of his life when I was just discovering him., etc. 

The Dead also suck so there’s that.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm gonna ignore all the over-reaction to what was (or should have been) an obvious joke about our most consistent differences of opinion (Fitzy and Cousins, and the alternatives available at those times)......

The Beatles are the greatest Pop-Rock band of all time, and likely the single most influential band of all time.  

Metallica is one of my favorite bands.  As is the Floyd.  And the Dead.  For the most part, I can take or leave the Beatles, they don't do it for me (with a few notable exceptions, the live version of Don't Let Me Down from the recent documentary was pretty exceptional, as are a few other select songs).

I'm also not into Elvis.  Despite Elvis being up there with the Beatles in "greatest" musical history importance.  I'm also not into Sinatra.  Or Beethoven ( I prefer Chopin's nocturnes for my Classical music choices).

You may be one of the most intelligent people I spar with here at JN slats, and I DO mean that as a compliment.

So I REALLY shouldn't have to explain the difference between favorite and greatest here to someone as bright as you.

I'm with you on not wanting anything to do with Elvis or Sinatra.  Just not my jam.

Not going to jump into this fight, but did want to take a moment to see if you've heard of this:

http://www.pinktalkingfish.com/

image.png

They are playing this area in the fall I think and I'm definitely pondering...