The Top Five Most Popular Jets of All Time

50 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'm gonna ignore all the over-reaction to what was (or should have been) an obvious joke about our most consistent differences of opinion (Fitzy and Cousins, and the alternatives available at those times)......

You seem to be having the same problem as CPA.  Favorite =/= Greatest.

The Beatles are the greatest Pop-Rock band of all time, and likely the single most influential band of all time.  

Metallica is one of my favorite bands.  As is the Floyd.  And the Dead.  For the most part, I can take or leave the Beatles, they don't do it for me (with a few notable exceptions, the live version of Don't Let Me Down from the recent documentary was pretty exceptional, as are a few other select songs).

I'm also not into Elvis.  Despite Elvis being up there with the Beatles in "greatest" musical history importance.  I'm also not into Sinatra.  Or Beethoven ( I prefer Chopin's nocturnes for my Classical music choices).

You may be one of the most intelligent people I spar with here at JN slats, and I DO mean that as a compliment.

So I REALLY shouldn't have to explain the difference between favorite and greatest here to someone as bright as you.

And lol, I've got no apologies to make having the Floyd, the Dead and Metallica as my three favorite bands, your "bad taste" comment non-withstanding.

Elvis, was a hero to most, but he didn’t mean sh*t to me. ???

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Lol this isn't a debate of Pennington's merits as a quarterback. It is literally a popularity contest. And Pennington was extremely popular.

This. Pennington is on my top 5 least liked Jets ever, and it started back in the Oakland game in 2002. I was part of the ACM on JI when it all went down. 

As much as I hate it, it doesn't change the fact that Pennington was and still is one of the most popular Jets in franchise history for anyone under the age of 50.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I'm with you on not wanting anything to do with Elvis or Sinatra.  Just not my jam.

Not going to jump into this fight, but did want to take a moment to see if you've heard of this:

http://www.pinktalkingfish.com/

image.png

They are playing this area in the fall I think and I'm definitely pondering...

I've heard of them, aye, but never seen them.  

I've got both Roger Waters and Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets shows this summer/early fall, so my Floydian concert schedule is in good shape.

If you like the music these cover dudes play, you should check it out, I find stuff like this is usually pretty fun if you approach it with the right attitude. ?

On 7/7/2022 at 7:13 AM, New York Mick said:

Players I’ve watched live. Namath and Maynard were before my time. 

5a. Martin - on and off the field

5b. Gastineau - most of the time on the field, never off of it

4. Toon

3. Wayne

2. Mangold

1. Klecko 

Similarly, players that I’ve watched:

1. Chrebet

2. Mangold

3. Martin

4. Toon

5. Klecko

Honorable mentions: Mawae, Cotchery, Aaron Glenn, Vinny T, David Harris

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Honorable mentions: Aaron Glenn

One of the better, and seemingly least appreciated, Jets.

In his prime he was very, very good.

I feel like some of our long-time LB'ers don't get their due either.  Guys like Mo Lewis.  

A three-time Pro Bowler and one time All-Pro in 1998, Lewis was arguably the best all-around linebacker to play for the green and white. His 200 games played ranks 4th in team history and are the 2nd most by a linebacker behind Kyle Clifton.

His 52.5 sacks are the 4th most in team history and the most by a linebacker. Lewis forced 26 fumbles in his career, which is the most in team history, while his 13 fumble recoveries are the 2nd most by a linebacker. His 3 postseason sacks are tied with Pace for the most in team history at the position.

https://thejetpress.com/2016/02/12/ny-jets-top-10-linebackers-all-time/

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

One of the better, and seemingly least appreciated, Jets.

In his prime he was very, very good.

I feel like some of our long-time LB'ers don't get their due either.  Guys like Mo Lewis.  

Totally with you on the LBs from that era. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I've heard of them, aye, but never seen them.  

I've got both Roger Waters and Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets shows this summer/early fall, so my Floydian concert schedule is in good shape.

If you like the music these cover dudes play, you should check it out, I find stuff like this is usually pretty fun if you approach it with the right attitude. ?

My band is actually tackling an interesting project this summer.  One of the local venues we play at periodically has asked their bands to do an album for each show.  So far we've seen the ones you'd expect, Beatles, Stones, Petty, Allmans.  We decided to challenge ourselves a bit so we're going after Dark Side.  Breathe and Time are locked in.  Money's pretty solid and 'Brain Damage' and 'Us and Them' are coming along.  'Great Gig in the Sky' is going to be interesting.  Had to bring my daughter in to tackle the vocal parts because nobody wants to hear a 50-something year old man trying to do that LOL.  It's kind of terrifying...

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

22 minutes ago, Kolchak said:

I could've missed him being mentioned earlier in this thread.   I realize he's not true top 5 popular Jet, but I just feel Mickey Shuler should get a post here.  Honorable mention?

Loved Shuler.  Thanks for reminding me.  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

And Victor Hobson

Farrior, Bryan Cox, Barton, Hobson, Lewis, Vilma… we had a nice run on adding legit LBers to the team. Keeping them and/or using them right was an entirely different topic.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Farrior, Bryan Cox, Barton, Hobson, Lewis, Vilma… we had a nice run on adding legit LBers to the team. Keeping them and/or using them right was an entirely different topic.

Cowart was actually decent for the time he was here. Good hold the fort guy.

3 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Larry Grantham, Al Atkinson, Bob Crable, Kyle Clifton, Greg Buttle and Lance Mehl

18 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Revis is the antithesis of a "popular" player.  Someone earlier talked about Namath embarrassing the Jets.  Revis' career was all about embarrassing the Jets and was just one big money grab.  Half of Jets fans hate him and without the lame "I'm not old and never saw him play" excuse.  

I get that in terms of popularity it matters, but isn't a career, by definition, a money grab?  Mine certainly has been.

On 7/8/2022 at 10:01 AM, Warfish said:

I'm gonna ignore all the over-reaction to what was (or should have been) an obvious joke about our most consistent differences of opinion (Fitzy and Cousins, and the alternatives available at those times)......

You seem to be having the same problem as CPA.  Favorite =/= Greatest.

The Beatles are the greatest Pop-Rock band of all time, and likely the single most influential band of all time.  

Metallica is one of my favorite bands.  As is the Floyd.  And the Dead.  For the most part, I can take or leave the Beatles, they don't do it for me (with a few notable exceptions, the live version of Don't Let Me Down from the recent documentary was pretty exceptional, as are a few other select songs).

I'm also not into Elvis.  Despite Elvis being up there with the Beatles in "greatest" musical history importance.  I'm also not into Sinatra.  Or Beethoven ( I prefer Chopin's nocturnes for my Classical music choices).

You may be one of the most intelligent people I spar with here at JN slats, and I DO mean that as a compliment.

So I REALLY shouldn't have to explain the difference between favorite and greatest here to someone as bright as you.

And lol, I've got no apologies to make having the Floyd, the Dead and Metallica as my three favorite bands, your "bad taste" comment non-withstanding.

It's one thing to say who your favorite players and explain that you listed players you saw play and not those you didn't  I have no issue with that at all.  I take issue with those who criticize others for continuing to rank Namath #1 (because they didn't see him play or because it was a long time ago or because nobody else has come along since the 70s to replace him as the face of the franshise)  ,or, as you did - knock those who revere Namath for being older than you.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

It's one thing to say who your favorite players and explain that you listed players you saw play and not those you didn't  I have no issue with that at all.  I take issue with those who criticize others for continuing to rank Namath #1 (because they didn't see him play or because it was a long time ago or because nobody else has come along since the 70s to replace him as the face of the franshise)  ,or, as you did - knock those who revere Namath for being older than you.  

I think you're being overly sensitive, frankly.  

A. I didn't criticize anyone for ranking Namath #1.  Like I said about music, peoples favorites are entirely their right, for any reason they like.

B. I explained why I (and others) often don't rank him #1, in terms of age and favorites. 

I'll give you another example:  Max Scherzer is my all time favorite Washington National and Nationals Pitcher.  Walter Johnson is the greatest pitcher to ever wear a National/Senators uniform, and one of the greatest pitchers of all time. 

But he is not my favorite.  I never saw him play.  Favorites are almost universally the players we get to see in their prime in our own formative youths/teens.  Or in my case, during my lifetime, since Johnson died in 1946.  

Scherzer being my favorite is not "knocking" Johnson or Johnson Fans, nor is it "criticizing" Johnson or Johnson Fans for being old.  I respect Johnson.  But Scherzer is my favorite.

This is an accurate, factual observation about human nature and sports.  Why that triggers you I frankly have no idea. 

If you're old, own it ffs, not all of us get to get to that point.

On 7/8/2022 at 8:17 AM, Jet Nut said:

Yes and yes.  They were partying for hours.  Kolber has said she blames herself, she knew he had too many before going on air and should never have done the interview.  

A couple of years ago the NFL or NFLN did a vote on who’s the coolest NFL player of time Joe Namath won.  
Joe Namath is still one of the most popular NFL players not just the Jets

I have the utmost respect for the way Suzy Kolber handled the situation in the days after the incident. She could have really raked Joe over the coals and destroyed his legacy, caused him quite a bit of grief over what happened and caused him even more embarrassment than what he was already feeling 

Instead she took it as something of a compliment and I believe she said something to the effect of “He’s Joe Namath what woman wouldn’t be flattered in thinking that Joe finds them attractive”. Might not be a direct quote but that’s essentially what she said. So to me Suzy is all right and thank you Suzy for helping Joe get the help that he obviously needed 

• Upvote 2

On 7/7/2022 at 12:35 PM, Warfish said:

To have seen Super Bowl III and actually understood it in any meaningful way, you'd need to be at least approx. 7-10 years old at the time of the game on January 12, 1969.  

That would make such fans in their early to mid 60's today, with most older or much older.

Geriatric just means elderly.  Elderly generally starts in western countries at the same time as retirement, i.e. in ages between 60-65.

I'm not sure what your complaint is here:  To have seen Super Bowl III, and really gotten it (as opposed to playing with your toys on the floor while Dad watched it and you having some vague memory of it) you are almost by definition a member of the geriatric set today.

It's just a fact.  Time is a cruel mistress. 

I was 14 at the time and a huge fan.  First live football game I went to was at age 10.  NY Football Giants at Yankee stadium.  Never planned on becoming a Jets fan until I turned on Channel 4 one Sunday and watched a Jet game with Namath at QB.  I couldn't take my eye's off the game.  I was completely hooked on pro-football for life.  

Back in the late 60's I was able to become a Harry M Stevens vendor at shea stadium at age 12.  Went to Jets games and all 3 World series games in 69 as a peanut vendor.  

Geriatric is a very general term and it's generally seen as negative because lets face we are a youth obsessed culture that sees the elderly as a burden.  There are still cultures that respect their elders for their experience and lifetime of knowledge.  

Time is relentless.  On a relative basis if you live to 100 or die after your first breath at birth your time as a living thing compared to the march of time is practically irrelevant.   I don't hold it against you that you have a limited knowledge base based on your age and experience and understand why you might find someone you actually saw play make you a huge football fan.  

• Post of the Week 1

Reserving two spots for 60s and 70s era names whom I never saw play.  Namath and Maynard seem to be consensus here but I have no direct way of knowing.

Which leaves three players.

1) Joe Klecko

2) Al Toon

3) Tough choice but Nick Mangold from a short list of Mangold, Revis, Freeman, D'Brick and about half a dozen others.

<edited to add>

Special mention for Kris Jenkins who was all-planet and a joy to watch for about half a minute

I think this obviously depends heavily on the generation of Jets you grew up with.  Namath is a duh just because and probably tops the list of any generation but I'm a late 70's baby and the mid 80's teams were the teams I fell in love w/ Al Toon, Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper, Freeman McNeil, Klecko, Kenny O.  Those were the guys that made me fall for this team and will always love them but, if had to make a list to from that day to today of players we've had that I personally adored the most, it would be these names:

Curtis Martin, Wayne Cherbet, Al Toon, Nick Mangold, Joe Klecko.

Honorable mention; Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Cotchery, Coles, DBrick, David Harris, Mawae, Bilal Powell, Marvin Jones, Marty Lyons, Greg Buttle. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Geriatric is a very general term and it's generally seen as negative because lets face we are a youth obsessed culture that sees the elderly as a burden.  There are still cultures that respect their elders for their experience and lifetime of knowledge.  

Mexico has such a culture. I haven’t been old all that long enough to think about it a lot, but traveling back to the states recently for a couple weeks, I really did notice a difference between the way I’m viewed there and here. Once I noticed it, it was hard to lose sight of it. It’s not even so much a respect for age and wisdom as it is just valuing the individual despite one’s age. In the states, once you get to a certain age you’re disposable. 

• Upvote 3

24 minutes ago, slats said:

Mexico has such a culture. I haven’t been old all that long enough to think about it a lot, but traveling back to the states recently for a couple weeks, I really did notice a difference between the way I’m viewed there and here. Once I noticed it, it was hard to lose sight of it. It’s not even so much a respect for age and wisdom as it is just valuing the individual despite one’s age. In the states, once you get to a certain age you’re disposable. 

image.png.4d9c1e553509caf7cd518f068011f10b.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I think this obviously depends heavily on the generation of Jets you grew up with.  Namath is a duh just because and probably tops the list of any generation but I'm a late 70's baby and the mid 80's teams were the teams I fell in love w/ Al Toon, Wesley Walker, Bruce Harper, Freeman McNeil, Klecko, Kenny O.  Those were the guys that made me fall for this team and will always love them but, if had to make a list to from that day to today of players we've had that I personally adored the most, it would be these names:

Curtis Martin, Wayne Cherbet, Al Toon, Nick Mangold, Joe Klecko.

Honorable mention; Mo Lewis, Aaron Glenn, Cotchery, Coles, DBrick, David Harris, Mawae, Bilal Powell, Marvin Jones, Marty Lyons, Greg Buttle. 

No Jason Taylor?  Weird, you're such a big fan.

On 7/8/2022 at 11:47 AM, nycdan said:

My band is actually tackling an interesting project this summer.  One of the local venues we play at periodically has asked their bands to do an album for each show.  So far we've seen the ones you'd expect, Beatles, Stones, Petty, Allmans.  We decided to challenge ourselves a bit so we're going after Dark Side.  Breathe and Time are locked in.  Money's pretty solid and 'Brain Damage' and 'Us and Them' are coming along.  'Great Gig in the Sky' is going to be interesting.  Had to bring my daughter in to tackle the vocal parts because nobody wants to hear a 50-something year old man trying to do that LOL.  It's kind of terrifying...

So we had our outdoor show at the park near us this week.  Decided to try out Breathe and Time.  The transition was worrisome but it went off pretty well.  Here's "Breathe".  @Warfish

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnxQ2dlMsJCkmrF7CD0mzTD7tFcUVQ

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 7/15/2022 at 9:34 AM, nycdan said:

So we had our outdoor show at the park near us this week.  Decided to try out Breathe and Time.  The transition was worrisome but it went off pretty well.  Here's "Breathe".  @Warfish

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AnxQ2dlMsJCkmrF7CD0mzTD7tFcUVQ

Hi Dan.  Very nice version.  Thanks for sharing.  

Is that you in the baseball hat doing the lead vocal?   Props to you and your daughter for nailing the vocal harmony if it is.  Good luck to you and the band.  Keep rockin'.

4 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Hi Dan.  Very nice version.  Thanks for sharing.  

Is that you in the baseball hat doing the lead vocal?   Props to you and your daughter for nailing the vocal harmony if it is.  Good luck to you and the band.  Keep rockin'.

Nope.  I'm the keyboard player on the back left behind my daughter.  I sing on other songs but not that one.  Max, the other guitar player absolutely killed the slide guitar on this.  The whole album is going to be a blast.

Thanks!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Nope.  I'm the keyboard player on the back left behind my daughter.  I sing on other songs but not that one.  Max, the other guitar player absolutely killed the slide guitar on this.  The whole album is going to be a blast.

Thanks!

Got it.  Just went back to check.  Very cool.

You're right about the excellent slide tone and phrasing.  Great sound overall by your band.  Not an easy task to cover Floyd.   Kudos.

• Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Revis would never make a most popular list. He might be the most polarizing Jets player ever and is disliked as much as he is liked.  

Think Revis the best Jets player ever. For several seasons, he was arguably the most impactful player in the NFL. There are no shutdown corners any more. He was why despite a woeful QB situation much of the time, the Jets were in  the playoffs often and got to to AFC title games duing his first tenure. 

All this "dislike/hatred" is misplaced. He became a mercenary because of a salary cap system set up by the owners to artificially supress salaries. Suspect he may be an extreme case having had a uncle who had been an NFL player, he knew that from the beginning. Have a real hard time being mad at a playre trying to max out his income exactly because the NFL has done everything possible to stop that. In an NFL that made sense, ro ahd some cap exceptions, he never wears any other uniform. 

Salary caps are bvllsheet. I , as a former PSL idiot, am supposed to root for owners not spending money after they beat us up in every way every chance they get? Woody Johnson has to be protected from his checkbook because...? There has not been a North American pro sports franchise go out of business  in the 4 major pro sports leagues since the NHL Cleveland Barons in 1975. Can't make money; then move. My parents both walked to Brooklyn Dodgers games and the one day they were gone. So be it. 

• Thumb Down 2

1 hour ago, Bugg said:

Salary caps are bvllsheet.

Can't possibly disagree with this take more.  

Tell me, would you like a no-cap league, but the Jets are only able to spend 10% of what the top spending teams are?

Any answer other than "Yes, I love that idea, sign me up!" means you DON'T actually want a salary-cap-less league, you just want to be the NFL's Yankees.

The Cap is why the NFL is sports most consistently competitive and evenly matched league.  It takes real, dedicated work to suck for any length of time in the NFL, unlike every other professional sport, where finances alone can doom you.

I'd put an NFL style Cap on MLB in a heartbeat if I could.  And no, I'm not crying that Juan Soto wouldn't get 1 billion for 10 years from the Dodgers under such a system.  SMH.

• Upvote 2

On 7/8/2022 at 9:34 AM, slats said:

I don’t know, I think maybe you should apologize for Metallica. They’re really just not very good. 

You don't have to like them or think they're better than the Beatles but this is a yikes statement. James Hetfield is possibly the best rhythm guitar player of his generation and genre. And I say this as a Megadeth nut swinger. Not to mention nearly every metal band these days has Metallica influence all over them. Even a band like Ghost you can hear it. 

• Haha 1