Jets Linebacker Looking to Bounce Back From Disappointing Rookie Campaign

On 7/8/2022 at 4:28 PM, Origen said:

Those 2 S to LB picks were attempts at homeruns that fell through.  The plan last year was for Jarrad Davis to live up to his draft pick for once and he never did, then both of the kids were too small to actually play inside for real and their bodies broke pretty quickly.  Grabbing Quincy and plugging him in solved so many problems that it allowed them to redshirt the kids the bulk of the season and just roll with 2 old school LB's instead of the new hybrid style.  Now they're hoping these kids have bulked up so they can handle the inside better and build themselves a role.  If not, lost low picks.  If either hit, Boomsauce.  Interested to see what Camp looks like.

Interesting.  A bunch of us are claiming the kids were "too small" for the NFL, but the guys they are picking up to take their place seem like the same damn thing.

@Raideraholic has been touting Javin White.  That kid was 205 coming out and is listed at 211 now.  Some people are assuming that  Marcell Harris will be a good fit because he was with these guys in SF, well , I have seen him listed around 216 and the Jets roster lists him at LB and 208. 

Both those guys played safety in college and both currently weigh about the same as Sherwood and Nasirildeen weighed coming out.  Look at the draft profiles for the guys they have at LB - most were college safety or hybrid with the words "downhill" "striker" "box" mentioned.  They seem to be looking at safeties that don't have loose enough hips to play high level DB, but have the speed to go sideline to sideline. 

White was expected to test off the charts, but was derailed by covid.  His nfl.com draft profile said "Big runners will add yards after contact against him" and that was considering him for safety.  Quincy (225), Mosley (231) and Del'Shawn Phillips (who was with Ulbrich in Atlanta at (230).  The rest all weigh the same or less than Sherwood/Nasirildeen who are listed at 216.  I don't think they are looking for real LB.  We may have to admit that they are looking for hybrids that can run.  At least these guys are usually prime special team types.  Maybe they know they are stuck with Mosley and will look to fill that 230+ thumper spot when his contract comes off the books, but I doubt it.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Interesting.  A bunch of us are claiming the kids were "too small" for the NFL, but the guys they are picking up to take their place seem like the same damn thing.

@Raideraholic has been touting Javin White.  That kid was 205 coming out and is listed at 211 now.  Some people are assuming that  Marcell Harris will be a good fit because he was with these guys in SF, well , I have seen him listed around 216 and the Jets roster lists him at LB and 208. 

Both those guys played safety in college and both currently weigh about the same as Sherwood and Nasirildeen weighed coming out.  Look at the draft profiles for the guys they have at LB - most were college safety or hybrid with the words "downhill" "striker" "box" mentioned.  They seem to be looking at safeties that don't have loose enough hips to play high level DB, but have the speed to go sideline to sideline. 

White was expected to test off the charts, but was derailed by covid.  His nfl.com draft profile said "Big runners will add yards after contact against him" and that was considering him for safety.  Quincy (225), Mosley (231) and Del'Shawn Phillips (who was with Ulbrich in Atlanta at (230).  The rest all weigh the same or less than Sherwood/Nasirildeen who are listed at 216.  I don't think they are looking for real LB.  We may have to admit that they are looking for hybrids that can run.  At least these guys are usually prime special team types.  Maybe they know they are stuck with Mosley and will look to fill that 230+ thumper spot when his contract comes off the books, but I doubt it.

I don't necessarily think they are 'too small' forever, they can stay that size as long as they gain some seasoning, learning how to stay healthy for a year and succeed at that role.  At 22 or 21 years old they were not there yet. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

White is an interesting guy.  Watched a couple of his games a month or two ago when I saw he was listed as LB and he looked like yet another 'tweener who they were looking to work with.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/11/2022 at 1:06 AM, Raideraholic said:

Jmo I think the guy you poached off the Raiders practice squad ( Javin White)  will surpass this lb( both are really safety’s) on the depth chart .   J White was very impressive last preseason for the Raiders in coverage.    Raiders were just paying Cory Littleton a lot of money ( javin white was more impressive than), and they had better Lb/ safety Devine Deablo 6’3 230( cam chancellor)   who going to be superstar.      Really was pissed off when Jets stole him off the Raiders practice squad.

Guess not.