Joe Klecko Named Finalist in Lengthy List of Senior HOF Candiates

Only defensive lineman to be a pro bowler at three different positions along the line    Definitely deserves to be a HOFamer. If Howie Long and Strahan(who I think wasn’t all that good) are in Joe should be too

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Only defensive lineman to be a pro bowler at three different positions along the line    Definitely deserves to be a HOFamer. If Howie Long and Strahan(who I think wasn’t all that good) are in Joe should be too

If he gets in, I am absolutely going and will wear my signed Klecko jersey all weekend in that Godforsaken place.  Probably holding back the tears.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He's one of 25 from the seniors list (not 57).  He's got a 50/50 shot to make it to the final 12 and then we'll see.  Has he ever made it to this list before?

I think he makes it this far pretty much every year.  Apparently last year was the closest he’s made it to actually being selected, according to Cimini after last year’s vote…

13 hours ago, CSNY said:

Strahan definetely belongs.  Long is very borderline and makes the case for Klecko to be in.  Strahan was all pro 4 times.  Over 3 is great.  Klecko was all pro twice so was Long.  

16 hours ago, nj meadowlands said:

Joe Klecko (Defensive End/Defensive Tackle/Nose Tackle, 1977-1988): A member of the famed “New York Sack Exchange,” this defensive powerhouse had four Pro Bowl selections and two first-team All-Pro honors in his 12-year NFL career, all spent with the New York Jets.

No they weren't.

Also, Roger Craig. He did not really put up HOF worthy career stats, but the dude was an integral cog in 3 SB winners and changed the RB position.

There is a great story Joe DeLamielleure tells about Klecko's rookie season. The Bills had a run play they really like that called for one of their O lineman to make a stretch block against Klecko. The OC kept calling the play and Klecko blew up the play every time. Eventually, the O lineman walked over to the OC and reached out with his helmet and said something to the effect "Here, if you call that god damned play again, you go try and block him."

Joe D is one of Klecko's biggest supporters for the HOF. I find it telling that just about all (if not all) of the HOF OL that played against Klecko think he should be in the HOF.

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Strahan definetely belongs.  Long is very borderline and makes the case for Klecko to be in.  Strahan was all pro 4 times.  Over 3 is great.  Klecko was all pro twice so was Long.  

Just think the opposite is true. But either way Klecko should be in 

7 minutes ago, peebag said:

Then he's not getting in then.

Probably not, as much as that deeply pains me to say.

Sadly, I think they'll always be someone else "more worthy" to the voters, especially as time goes on and new guys enter the picture each cycle.

Sucks.

I generally could not care less if a former pro athlete makes their respective HoF.

Klecko is the exception. The dude was amazing and it's an injustice he's not already in.

Dr Z (RIP) nominated him every year and made the case for him - unsuccessfully. Which shows you how dumb sports writers were (are). Dr Z's knowledge for the game is unmatched in the media. His opinion alone should have been enough.

• Upvote 1