Joe Klecko Named Finalist in Lengthy List of Senior HOF Candiates

7 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I found that shocking too.  If he does get in , I hope it's posthumously.  So he is cheated out of enjoying it just like they cheated under his ownership.

I'm with you, but he's a shoe in for all the money he's made for the league by negotiating the TV deals. Sad, but probably true.

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, Warfish said:

Probably not, as much as that deeply pains me to say.

Sadly, I think they'll always be someone else "more worthy" to the voters, especially as time goes on and new guys enter the picture each cycle.

Sucks.

You mean there might be younger members of the HOF committee who may not appreciate Klecko as compared to some of the more recent players they saw play?  You mean that some of the younger HOF voters may not give credence to the players and committee members who played against or watched Klecko and who are telling the younger voters that Klecko is deserving of the HOF? You do realize that your post is somewhat ironic given your views on Namath.  

You are going to face arguments like - 

He only made two pro bowls

He was injured too often

His stats weren't that great compared to _______.  

He didn't have that many sacks

He embarrassed the Jets organization with the perjury issue

It's time we stopped celebrating these old guys and started looking to more recent players as the Jets best players

It's a bit different facing these arguments when they are made against a player you saw and appreciate how great he was. For the record, I think Klecko should have been in the HOF decades ago and think the world of him. I have his autographed jersey on my basement wall.  I'm just making a point. 

The committee put Winston Hill in who was more deserving than any Jets player in the history of the organization and Jets fans hardly noticed.  Klecko was great for a short time in an era of great players on the D Line.  He's a borderline HOF player.  There are other borderline HOF defensive lineman from his era that are in.  

Personally I think there are too many players in the HOF not to few.  Klecko getting into the current HOF with a lot of very good players and near greats is reasonable.  He was never a slam dunk HOF player.   Great for a couple of years.  Very good to good for a couple of years.  

On 7/12/2022 at 5:26 PM, Scott Dierking said:

Article said Klecko played his entire career with the Jets. 

One of the saddest moments was seeing Klecko play against the Jets in a Colt uniform.

Think of the cap we saved that went to such great use

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Klecko was in Smokey and the Bandit II. Great job Joe! I went to a bunch of games at Shea in the late 70's early 80's - the fans came to see Joe along with a few other players but Joe was the man back then - and he didn't like Mark Gastineau.

44 minutes ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Ray Lewis , who killed two people , is in the hall of fame . That felony stuff is bullcrap .

I think if you're a 7 time all pro and defensive player of the year twice you need more bodies.  You also can't discount that both murders happened in the same incident.  No indication that Ray was a serial killer.  

• WTF? 1

• 3 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

The competition:

I would guess the 'short'-short-list is Klecko, Keuch, Nobis, Sharpe, maybe Howley.  I'm actually surprised Nobis isn't in.  Sharpe was great but really for only about 5 years.  Honestly, this really is an underwhelming list and speaks directly to what Deion was talking about.   Some of these guys barely even registered on me and they played while I was alive and watching.  None of them feel like they are all-time NFL greats.  I loved Klecko as a player, but even his case isn't particularly strong against this list.  Just solid.

Did anyone watch Ken Anderson thinking HoF?  With his 91-81 record, 197-160 TD:INT ratio, and 2-4 playoff record?  

On 7/10/2022 at 12:25 PM, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You mean there might be younger members of the HOF committee who may not appreciate Klecko as compared to some of the more recent players they saw play?  You mean that some of the younger HOF voters may not give credence to the players and committee members who played against or watched Klecko and who are telling the younger voters that Klecko is deserving of the HOF? You do realize that your post is somewhat ironic given your views on Namath.  

You are going to face arguments like - 

He only made two pro bowls      WRONG

He was injured too often

His stats weren't that great compared to _______.  

He didn't have that many sacks  WRONG

He embarrassed the Jets organization with the perjury issue

It's time we stopped celebrating these old guys and started looking to more recent players as the Jets best players

It's a bit different facing these arguments when they are made against a player you saw and appreciate how great he was. For the record, I think Klecko should have been in the HOF decades ago and think the world of him. I have his autographed jersey on my basement wall.  I'm just making a point. 

He made FOUR Pro Bowls. (At three different positions) 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985

He was First Team All-Pro TWICE. 1981, 1985

He was Second Team All-Pro 1983

He was 1981 Defensive Player of the Year

He led the league in sacks in 1981.

His sack numbers are not reflected because they didn't start keeping OFFICIAL stats for sacks until 1982.  He literally had 20-1/2 sacks in a single season.

Stats? As a nose guard He led the Jets with 96 tackles and five forced fumbles, and tied for second with 7.5 sacks.

Guys advocating for him to be in the Hall? Anthony Munoz (Said Joe was Top three he ever faced), Dwight Stephenson (Said he was top two he ever faced),  Joe DeLamielleure added that "You can't think of his ten year period without him. I had to block Joe Greene and Merlin Olsen when I was playing and, believe me, Joe Klecko was equal to those two guys. According to HOF John Hannah: “The two guys, in my mind, that were the best all around that I ever played in front of were Howie Long and Joe Klecko,” 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1