Jets ink Rookie Tackle Max Mitchell; Breece Hall Last Unsigned Pick

Joe Douglas

The New York Jets have signed rookie offensive tackle Max Mitchell according to the team’s official twitter account.  The versatile lineman was the 111th pick in the draft and leaves only running back Breece Hall unsigned.

.@MaxMitch09 makes it OFFICIAL!

📰 https://t.co/UxENjGdjPO pic.twitter.com/tBieMSyI4G

— New York Jets (@nyjets) July 7, 2022

After spending time at both tackle spots to go along with some action at left guard, Mitchell was the lone offensive lineman taken by Joe Douglas in this year’s class.

He’ll join Connor McDermott and Chuma Edoga as the team’s backup tackles behind Mekhi Becton and George Fant.

The post Jets ink Rookie Tackle Max Mitchell; Breece Hall Last Unsigned Pick appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

• Upvote 1

I’m a little concerned about this Breece Hall contract. It’s tough for RBs because they’re rarely worth big second big contracts. And MC1 has made his opinion known on that issue, too. I’m wondering what Hall’s team might be holding out for. I don’t know how flexible rookie contracts can be, or what kind of ask they could hope to get. Thing is, Hall has leverage. Under contract, he’s gotta be a short list ROPY. It’s something they need to get done before camp. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m a little concerned about this Breece Hall contract

1st thing that jumped out to me was how pissed BH looked when talking with the Jets when the pick went in. I think he feels he should have been a 1st round pick. Might want to get everything he can get from this contract being the 1st RB taken. May be waiting on the details of the Walker contract.

All 3 - 1st rd picks,  Ruckert,  Clemons, Mitchell signed. Let’s go Breece!

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, 32EBoozer said:

1st thing that jumped out to me was how pissed BH looked when talking with the Jets when the pick went in. I think he feels he should have been a 1st round pick. Might want to get everything he can get from this contract being the 1st RB taken. May be waiting on the details of the Walker contract.

I didn’t see this reaction but how pissed could he possibly be?  He may feel that he was a 1st round back but he was slated a 2nd and went high two.  I wonder if he was more bothered by not being a 1st because of ego or money?  

4 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

He’s probably better off being a second round pick. If he went in the first, the team would have that fifth year option. If Hall plays at that level now, the Jets will be looking at a franchise tag or long term contract in the fifth year. There was some talk that the Jets wanted to get back into the first to get him. If so, that fifth year option would’ve been a good reason. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Hex said:

I'm just wondering, which side is the one holding it up? Is Hall asking for too much or are the Jets trying to pay too little? Or is it a mix of both?

Or is he just last to get done because.  It’s agent and GM availability too.  

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, slats said:

Money is slotted. Would have to be a language thing. 

They’ve had over two months. How busy are they? 

If your agent is working on another pick or players contract?  There isn’t a rush, as you said it’s slotted and will get done.  Someone has to be last

• Upvote 1

There is no holdout. As long as Hall is signed , which I’m sure he will be, by July 19th when rookies report. Rookie contracts are slotted. The only time there are glitches is when a high first rounder haggles over “off sets.” Hall is a second rounder, he will be signed by camp.

• Upvote 2

https://nfltraderumors.co/unsigned-2022-nfl-draft-picks/

23 draftees remain unsigned.  No first rounders.

Weirdly, picks 33-36 and 38 are all unsigned.  

Turns out we can thank Houston for that.  They signed their pick at 37, Jalen Pitre, to a 100% guaranteed 3rd year, which is just not historically how it has been.  This article lays it out pretty well:

=======================

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/7/5/23195041/no-need-to-worry-about-seattle-seahawks-unsigned-draft-picks-kenneth-walker-coby-bryant-boye-mafe

To understand how the Texans ruined it for everyone who picked at the top of the second round this year, here is a look at the players taken in that spot since 2018, along with the percent of third year salary fully guaranteed for each:

2018 (2.37): Braden Smith, Indianapolis Colts, 0% of third year base salary guaranteed

2019 (2.37): Greg Little, Carolina Panthers, 8.4% of third year base salary guaranteed

2020 (2.37): Kyle Dugger, New England Patriots, 25% of third year base salary guaranteed

2021 (2.37): Landon Dickerson, Philadelphia Eagles, 40.7% of third year base salary guaranteed

2022 (2.37): Jalen Pitre, Houston Texans, 100% of third year base salary guaranteed

It’s obvious that the contract signed between Pitre and the Texans did not fall in line with past signings for players in that range of the draft, and that helps explain why of the 24 players selected in the 2022 who remain unsigned, 13 of them were taken in the second round. That’s more than half, and the majority of those who remain unsigned are those who heard their names called in the top half of the second round.

=========================

Last year's #37 pick, Landon Dickerson has about a $1.5M salary in his third year.  While I know teams hate to set precedent, I can't imagine the Jets will let Hall sit over that.  And because he's a RB, I think it's probably even more fair than usual to guarantee him that year's pay.

• Upvote 4

Whatever technique Jermaine Johnson used on Max Mitchell at the Senior Bowl he needs to work with him daily during training camp so that he can learn from it and that it does not happen again because every other team playing us has that same film footage.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

https://nfltraderumors.co/unsigned-2022-nfl-draft-picks/

23 draftees remain unsigned.  No first rounders.

Weirdly, picks 33-36 and 38 are all unsigned.  

Turns out we can thank Houston for that.  They signed their pick at 37, Jalen Pitre, to a 100% guaranteed 3rd year, which is just not historically how it has been.  This article lays it out pretty well:

=======================

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2022/7/5/23195041/no-need-to-worry-about-seattle-seahawks-unsigned-draft-picks-kenneth-walker-coby-bryant-boye-mafe

To understand how the Texans ruined it for everyone who picked at the top of the second round this year, here is a look at the players taken in that spot since 2018, along with the percent of third year salary fully guaranteed for each:

2018 (2.37): Braden Smith, Indianapolis Colts, 0% of third year base salary guaranteed

2019 (2.37): Greg Little, Carolina Panthers, 8.4% of third year base salary guaranteed

2020 (2.37): Kyle Dugger, New England Patriots, 25% of third year base salary guaranteed

2021 (2.37): Landon Dickerson, Philadelphia Eagles, 40.7% of third year base salary guaranteed

2022 (2.37): Jalen Pitre, Houston Texans, 100% of third year base salary guaranteed

It’s obvious that the contract signed between Pitre and the Texans did not fall in line with past signings for players in that range of the draft, and that helps explain why of the 24 players selected in the 2022 who remain unsigned, 13 of them were taken in the second round. That’s more than half, and the majority of those who remain unsigned are those who heard their names called in the top half of the second round.

=========================

Last year's #37 pick, Landon Dickerson has about a $1.5M salary in his third year.  While I know teams hate to set precedent, I can't imagine the Jets will let Hall sit over that.  And because he's a RB, I think it's probably even more fair than usual to guarantee him that year's pay.

I did not realize the gtd portion of rookie contracts was not set. I guess when they say there’s a rookie wage scale, they are only referring to the total money.

I’m surprised this hasnt caused issues in the past.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

I did not realize the gtd portion of rookie contracts was not set. I guess when they say there’s a rookie wage scale, they are only referring to the total money.

I’m surprised this hasnt caused issues in the past.

Agents have to find something to fight over to justify taking their slice of the pie on rookie deals.  I'd imagine the NFL and NFLPA will gradually close those gaps but the agents will just find something else to create drama over.  

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, NYDreamer said:

Whatever technique Jermaine Johnson used on Max Mitchell at the Senior Bowl he needs to work with him daily during training camp so that he can learn from it and that it does not happen again because every other team playing us has that same film footage.

Didn’t watch the game. Did JJ play against any 1st/2nd rd. OT in that game, and if so, was he as dominant as he was against MM?

19 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Didn’t watch the game. Did JJ play against any 1st/2nd rd. OT in that game, and if so, was he as dominant as he was against MM?

He actually did not play in the game itself because what he did during practice was enough to show his talent.  Here is his performance during practice.  Him against Mitchell is about 27 seconds in:  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, NYDreamer said:

He actually did not play in the game itself because what he did during practice was enough to show his talent.  Here is his performance during practice.  Him against Mitchell is about 27 seconds in:  

He didn’t play? WTF!

I understand protecting yourself as a potential #1 and giving sime other guys opportunity but that’s lame. Even 1 series would be good. 

It may well be BH would have been a first round pick in a different year.  In this draft teams took what they needed first which wasn't a running back.

On 7/10/2022 at 3:01 PM, Fantasy Island said:

Until the league loosens up rules protecting QB's and WR's , RBs value will continue to diminish. The NFL has made it a passing league.

Breece looks like he's really good as a pass catching RB though.  (At least from the highlights I've seen)

• Upvote 1