Is The Jets Roster Stronger Than Last Year?

Breece Hall, Sauce Gardner & Garrett Wilson

As we know, the last few years have proved to be quite painful for the Jets. Nobody was expecting Robert Saleh to turn things around in one season, but hearing about ‘progress and improvement’ gets tiring. That said, 2022 needs to be a better year and the Jets need to climb on the NFL betting lines. With that in mind, we’re wondering whether or not the Jets roster is now stronger than last year. We’ll be taking a look at the biggest losses and smartest additions. Let’s go.

Best Acquisitions

Number 1. C.J. Uzomah

The first player we look at from the best additions side of thing is C.J. Uzomah; he is unquestionably one of the Jets best signings of the offseason. Last year, the Jets struggled for any production from the tight ends courtesy of a combination of injuries and poor play.

The fact is the tight ends delivered absolutely nothing. Uzomah, as we all know, just made it into the Super Bowl with the Cincinnati Bengals. He’s going to instantly slot in as the number one tight end on the Jets roster and will alleviate some pressure on Zach Wilson in the passing game as well. On top of that, he’s an underrated blocker as well.

Number 2. Sauce Gardner

Next up we look at Sauce Gardner. He was drafted by the Jets in the first round this offseason and is likely going to be a major contributor to the team right away. The cornerback is going to boost a secondary that didn’t perform well a year ago and, if his recent years in college were any indication, he’s going to quickly show that he can lock down an entire side of the field.

Gardner didn’t allow a touchdown throughout his college years and is unlikely to be giving much away in the NFL either. Even if he doesn’t perform up to his sky-high expectations, the rookie cornerback will be a valuable asset in the secondary.

Number 3. Garrett Wilson

The speedy wide receiver was drafted 10th overall out of Ohio State. This gives Zach Wilson legitimate playmakers and takes away that excuse. The wide receiver room looks as strong as it has for the Jets in years. Elijah Moore, Corey Davis, Braxton Berrios, and with an improved running back room this offense is ready to go.

Number 4. D.J. Reed

Last but not least, we look at D.J. Reed who we have down as one of the most underrated signings of the offseason. The cornerback previously played for Robert Salah in San Francisco with the 49ers before traveling to the Seattle Seahawks. Now, the two have been reunited.

Reed was one of the better corners on his team when healthy throughout the last few years although injuries have really started to bog him down. If he’s able to play a full year – or close to it – he could take his numbers to another level alongside Saleh.

Biggest Exits

Number 1. Jamison Crowder

We now switch our attention to the big players that have exited the Jets and the first name worth noting is Jamison Crowder who the team allowed to walk into free agency. He has penned a $4m, one year deal with the Buffalo Bills. Sure, the wideout had suffered with injuries over the past couple of seasons but he has still been the only consistent weapon the Jets have had on their offense. Over his three years in New York, Crowder either led the team in receptions or receiving yards. His loss will be felt next year in the passing game.

Number 2. Folorunso Fatukasi

Now we look at Folorunso Fatukasi. He’s not a player that is going to be seen as a major loss but his absence is certainly something that could be missed through the run game. Defensive tackle Fatukasi was a real force in the middle of the defensive line for the Jets and, without him in the rotation, they could end up weaker in the middle of the field.

This isn’t a risk the coaching team was blind to though and they’ve brought in a few players that could plug that hole. Whether or not they can deliver to the same level as Fatukasi has in his past four seasons remains to be seen.

Number 3. Marcus Maye

Finally, we take a look at Marcus Maye. There are two ways you can look at this. On one hand, the 2021 season turned into somewhat of a nightmare for Maye with the fact he suffered a DUI arrest along with a torn Achilles. He also couldn’t come to terms with a new contract with the organization and was left with the franchise tag.

Eventually, enough was enough and he left to join the New Orleans Saints. On the other hand, Maye has been the starting safety in this Jets side for half a decade; problems or not, his exit is going to leave a void and one that needs to be looked at before things get underway.

Final Thoughts

We’ve looked at some of the key moves from this offseason and, with all things considered, we think the Jets are in better shape than they were a few months ago.

Training camp opens later this month, so we will find out soon enough.

The post Is The Jets Roster Stronger Than Last Year? appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Carl Lawson is also a huge addition over last year.  Morgan Moses is a notable loss

I hope JD offered Moses what he got paid.  

That’s the loss that hurt.  I don’t think you can count on a Morgan Moses level talent shaking free in camp like Morgan Moses did last season.  

• Upvote 3

The Jets made considerable strides in upgrading a number of positions. They are in much better shape. This is why I have way more additions than departures. They simply added more, better players/prospects.

Top Additions:

1. DJ Reed: The secondary was one of the worst in the NFL. DJ Reed brings an immediate upgrade to the CB personnel and Defense in general. He could prove to be a true #1 CB. At least while Sauce is developing. And the Jets got him at a good price. Best signing by far, IMO. 

2. Laken Tomlinson: Second best signing by far. The ONE hole the Jets had on the o-line (yes, yes, I know Becton is a big question mark) was a second Guard to replace GVR. Tomlinson was a huge get because he is a proven commodity who will not only solidify the line but should immediately elevate their play as a unit. Not to mention he should be used to the system and I believe is coming off a healthy, productive season.  

3. G.Wilson: I have this addition as high as #3 because of what an impact I think Wilson can make. He is a top tier rookie WR added to this offensive group. JD clearly wanted another weapon at WR for Zach and simply couldn't get it done until the draft. Wilson took care of that. Huge addition.  

4. CJ/Conk: Similar to #3, the Jets desperately needed to upgrade at TE. I know they added Ruckert in the draft but it was these two signings of CJ and Conklin that will truly make the difference this year. Big impact because it massively upgraded the TE room in one FA period.   

5. Whitehead: Should be on here because it mitigates the loss of Maye. I know they don't technically play the same position but after losing Maye the safety depth was atrocious. Bringing in Whitehead was a huge addition, allowing Pinnock/Davis/Joyner to potentially slide to FS as JAG starters.  

6. Breece: Its been a while since the Jets selected a top RB in the draft. I think this will be big- not just because the Jets will run the ball a ton but because it takes the load off both Zach and Carter II. I would say a critical addition. 

7. JJ/Clemons: Young, talented pass rushers. Nothing else to say here. The Jets needed to add more talent to Edge and they did exactly that. It would have been a mistake if JD decided to remain passive and rely on Lawson, Martin and Huff. Moving up for JJ and taking a flyer on Clemons were gutsy moves and will pay dividends.  

Top Losses: 

1. Moses: The Jets have yet to fill this hole. They drafted Mitchell but Moses was a proven vet backup who they were able to plug and play with confidence. They don't have that now. Easily the biggest loss. 

2. Maye: Probably the most talented player they lost. While Maye was hurt most of the year so its hard to judge exactly how much of a loss he represents- when healthy, Maye is as solid of a safety as they come and he was the foundation of our secondary, albeit a very young, underperforming one. I would say second biggest loss for sure. The jets still have not quite filled his position (FS).  

3. Fatukasi: He had an off year last year but having a run stuffer like this on your line is always critical. Especially for a team that is terrible at stopping the run. Again, another guy the Jets have really not been able to replace yet. They may feel like they don't need to. After his poor play last year, they may feel like he's not a great fit and another player can pick up the slack or fill his role.  

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yes.  Materially.

I wonder if people will think the roster is so much better if the QB falters. Then back under the bus the supporting cast shall go.

I wonder if people will think the roster is so much better if the QB falters. Then back under the bus the supporting cast shall go.

I wonder if people will think it was the roster that improved the QB if Zach succeeds, then proclaim if we had any other QB we would have won the AFC East division.
  • Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, Claymation said:

I wonder if people will think it was the roster that improved the QB if Zach succeeds, then proclaim if we had any other QB we would have won the AFC East division.

Wonder no longer. The anti set believes that a bad roster cannot make a FQB look like crap and a good roster cannot make a terrible QB look like a FQB.

It’s the cardinal premise of our position, in fact. 

• Upvote 1

The TE position is undeniably stronger than last year.

However, many other position upgrades are theoretical in nature because they involve the addition of rookies who haven't actually taken an NFL snap yet.

I'm a big fan of Garrett Wilson, but can you objectively say the WR group is "better" with the departure of two veterans in Crowder and Cole?

I'm a big fan of Breece Hall, but again, he hasn't taken a single NFL snap yet.

The same argument can be made in a number of areas.

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic and I want to say on paper, the roster IS better. But until the pads start popping in real games, and the rookies show they are the real deal, alot of it is just hopes and dreams at this point. Hopefully we'll all feel reassured sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, jgb said:

Wonder no longer. The anti set believes that a bad roster cannot make a FQB look like crap and a good roster cannot make a terrible QB look like a FQB.

It’s the cardinal premise of our position, in fact. 

Unless said FQB has been allegedly sexually harassing couple dozen or so massage therapist.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

However, many other position upgrades are theoretical in nature because they involve the addition of rookies who haven't actually taken an NFL snap yet.

I'm a big fan of Garrett Wilson, but can you objectively say the WR group is "better" with the departure of two veterans in Crowder and Cole?

Don't get me wrong, I'm optimistic and I want to say on paper, the roster IS better. But until the pads start popping in real games, and the rookies show they are the real deal, alot of it is just hopes and dreams at this point. Hopefully we'll all feel reassured sooner rather than later.

Cole was invisible most of the year and Crowder had more than his share of some big drops during his time with the Jets.  

Barrios and Moore in the slot are both upgrades to Crowder.  Wilson has to be an upgrade to Cole's 28 catches for 450 yards and 1 TD.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Cole was invisible most of the year and Crowder had more than his share of some big drops during his time with the Jets.  

Barrios and Moore in the slot are both upgrades to Crowder.  Wilson has to be an upgrade to Cole's 28 catches for 450 yards and 1 TD.

Fair enough.  I felt Crowder dropped off big time last year, and I thought Cole would have more of an impact when he was signed.

My point is that I HOPE the WR group has been upgraded by drafting a very good prospect at #10, but until he actually shows something on the field, you cannot objectively say the position is indeed upgraded.  It won't be long until we know one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Fair enough RE: the rookies. 

However, the signings of proven talents such as Whitehead, CJ/Conk - who you mentioned, DJ Reed, and Tomlinson, undeniably immediately upgrade their respective positions. 

You could argue that the addition of Whitehead can be considered a push because we lost Maye. However, Maye barely played due to injury last year. Its hard to measure how much of a contribution he would have made. May have had a great year, may have had a down year.  

21 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Fair enough RE: the rookies. 

However, the signings of proven talents such as Whitehead, CJ/Conk - who you mentioned, DJ Reed, and Tomlinson, undeniably immediately upgrade their respective positions. 

You could argue that the addition of Whitehead can be considered a push because we lost Maye. However, Maye barely played due to injury last year. Its hard to measure how much of a contribution he would have made. May have had a great year, may have had a down year.  

Agreed, but counting injuries does make the evaluation tougher.  Can you say the roster is stronger because Becton, Lawson, Davis, Moore, Whitehead replacing an injured Maye will be back healthy this season?  Technically, they were already on the roster last year albeit injured.

Tomlinson is a nice upgrade at OG, but they lost a decent RT in Moses.  If Becton can come back strong this season, it's all gravy.  But it is a big "if" in my mind.  He hasn't been able to stay healthy in two seasons, and knee and foot injuries for a man his size are never a good thing.

Reed and Sauce at CB should be nice upgrades, but again, we have the rookie factor.

I like what Joe Douglas is doing.  I like his approach, and on the paper, the roster is stronger.  They just need the draft picks to actually work out.  And most importantly, they need players to actually stay healthy.

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’d bet crowder has more catches and yards than either Berrios and Moore this year. I wonder what could be different about his situation this season? 🤔 

4 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

200.gif
If Zach can complete 60+% of his passes, throw for 3,000+ yds, keeps TD/turnovers near 2:1 (20/10) and team rushes for 2,000 yards we can be 9-8 or better.

So basically, we hope he can be Trubisky or Minshew. Two guys who could’ve been gotten for squat.

Is this a serious question? They had a great draft and off season. Upgraded RB, TE, CB, Edge, Oline, and WR. A lot of success on the field is going to depend on Wilson but the overall roster is more talented and deeper. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/8/2022 at 6:35 PM, Sarge4Tide said:

Carl Lawson is also a huge addition over last year.  Morgan Moses is a notable loss

No one knows what Carl Lawson will bring to the table.  Particularly after an achilles injury.