Worst Jets cuts/trades

AFJF

Mathis is a good one, but they even need to draft all those guys -  Mathis, Dale Dawkins, Burkett, Rob Moore, Reggie Rembert.  In 1989 they drafted a college QB in the 5th round and then instead of developing him, they cut him and he ran off the Miami and had over 300 yards receiving for the next decade plus, four 1,000 yard seasons, played in two super bowls and we cut him for studs like Michael Harper and Chris Burkett - and those are the guys with names I can still remember!

Guy was a bit of a target monster, but the idea that he didn't warrant a roster spot on that sh*tty ass team when he went for almost 400 yards as a rookie in Miami is ludicrous. 

6 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I guess Riggins good fir honorable mention 

That was another one I thought of but Riggins was wildly inconsistent year to year and would swing from 1000 yard season to 500 yard seasons and back and forth. 

Abraham was the definition of consistent for 8 years with Atlanta. Missed like 6- 8 games total, and averaged 10+ sacks every year. 

Edit: 

Not to mention the effects on our team after those guys, we actually found running back success for large periods of time after Riggins. 

We still havent had a #1 edge since Abraham. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That was another one I thought of but Riggins was wildly inconsistent year to year and would swing from 1000 yard season to 500 yard seasons and back and forth. 

Abraham was the definition of consistent for 8 years with Atlanta. Missed like 6- 8 games total, and averaged 10+ sacks every year. 

Edit: 

Not to mention the effects on our team after those guys, we actually found running back success for large periods of time after Riggins. 

We still havent had a #1 edge since Abraham. 

I didn't like trading Abraham either, but the pick the Jets received in return was used to draft Mangold.  I would have traded Shaun Ellis instead.  Abraham was a big play game wrecker.  Ellis was steady, but was not a true edge rusher and he got lazy at times and took games and some end of seasons off.

• Upvote 3

Riggins was technically a free agent.  Cotchery was cut as his request and simply the team making a class move for a change.  OTOH, the reason he requested to be cut was the whole Derrick Mason saga and that was a disaster, though them calling out Sanchez is what we had all been doing. 

Cotchery sucked his first couple of years in Pittsburgh going for around 450 yards and 2 TDs total, but he picked up a bit after that.  I think he had 600 and 10 TDs in 2013 and he finished out with a couple of okay years in Carolina..  

1 hour ago, JTJet said:

This list begins and ends with trading John Abraham. 

Only if you ignore what they got in return.  Any one-for-one deal that nets you one of the best players in franchise history isn't the worst thing in the world IMO.

• Upvote 1

Agree with all the above.

Hugh Douglas too - didn't fit Tuna's system.  Parcell's was a God-send for this org but he wasn't great with personnel moves. The one that really pissed me off was when Tuna knew he was leaving the Jets and on his way out gifted Mo Lewis that monster contract when he was already declining.  But whatever, still grateful for Bill and of course Curtis Martin and Kevin Mawae were 5-Star gets. 

• Upvote 1

You want to bitch about system changes?  How about trading Ryan Young in exchange for having the Texans take both of our high quality cover corners - Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman.  All based on Parcells paying those guys a ton and them not being fits for the cover who.  The only thing that doesn't make this sh*t look horrendous is that Young had some injury issues and did not end up excelling elsewhere because he developed a chronic knee condition.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

You want to bitch about system changes?  How about trading Ryan Young in exchange for having the Texans take both of our high quality cover corners - Aaron Glenn and Marcus Coleman.  All based on Parcells paying those guys a ton and them not being fits for the cover who.  The only thing that doesn't make this sh*t look horrendous is that Young had some injury issues and did not end up excelling elsewhere because he developed a chronic knee condition.

Parcells killed the team with his cap.

Lost Ryan Young.   Resigned Chrebet and Martin to huge deals, way over value, lost our starting guard to the Redskins

Another huge loss was letting 25 year old Kareem McKenzie go to the Giants, where he played 7 years and only missed 7 games.  

• Upvote 4

I would add "failed to retain" to this list and mine would include:

John Riggins
Terrance Mathis
Jeff Blake
James Farrior
Rob Moore
Danny Woodhead

Not including Hugh Douglas because even though he had a solid career his performance in his contract year was underwhelming / worrisome.

• Upvote 1

Parcells made some of the most curious deals.  I hate that fat ******* carpetbagger, but I guess it was  mostly to players who were "Parcells guys" or "football first" and in that regard it seemed to work.  Trading down from #1 overall to get the Walter Jones pick, but then rolling that into Farrior? 

Adrien Murrell for #61, but then contract #18 and #81 for Curtis Martin?  

Hugh Douglas for #41 and #134.

Using the extra 3rd rounders in 1998 to trade down from 65 to 67 seems smart, but the Rams got Leonard Little and we got Scott Frost and Lawrence Hart.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Parcells killed the team with his cap.

Lost Ryan Young.   Resigned Chrebet and Martin to huge deals, way over value, lost our starting guard to the Redskins

Another huge loss was letting 25 year old Kareem McKenzie go to the Giants, where he played 7 years and only missed 7 games.  

Bryan Cox!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Only if you ignore what they got in return.  Any one-for-one deal that nets you one of the best players in franchise history isn't the worst thing in the world IMO.

I'm talking about specifically in relation to the impact the loss of the player/position had on the team. 

Riggins we rebounded from fairly well at RB over the years. Abraham we literally have never rebounded from. 

And if we kept Abraham, he would have been one of our best players in franchise history, so that's a wash. 

5 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

I would add "failed to retain" to this list and mine would include:

John Riggins
Terrance Mathis
Jeff Blake
James Farrior
Rob Moore
Danny Woodhead

Not including Hugh Douglas because even though he had a solid career his performance in his contract year was underwhelming / worrisome.

Rob Moore never lived up to his draft reputation.  He was above average, but not worthy of what amounted to the 7th pick.  Plus, he was allergic to the end zone.  He had one huge season with Arizona sandwiched around a good but not a special career.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Riggins was technically a free agent.  Cotchery was cut as his request and simply the team making a class move for a change.  OTOH, the reason he requested to be cut was the whole Derrick Mason saga and that was a disaster, though them calling out Sanchez is what we had all been doing. 

Cotchery sucked his first couple of years in Pittsburgh going for around 450 yards and 2 TDs total, but he picked up a bit after that.  I think he had 600 and 10 TDs in 2013 and he finished out with a couple of okay years in Carolina..  

My recollection - flawed as it may be - was that he was miserable ever since the team added Plaxico that offseason instead of promoting Cotchery to the starting spot vacated by Edwards, but tbh it's not like I was in the locker room all spring either.

I don't think they wanted to get rid of him, but like you say they did the classy thing here for a change. 

Still, he went from scoffing at the WR3 job here to then take the WR5 job for Pittsburgh (which also came with a 7-figure pay cut).