Article On The Saleh Hire

8 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I was a season ticket holder in AZ when Wilks was hired.  Wilks had a very thin resume.  Bidwill loved him.  He blew him away with his leadership skills.  

He was absolutely hired because of his leadership qualities.

https://www.azcardinals.com/news/steve-wilks-builds-relationship-with-coaching

"One of the things I look for is strong leadership skills and with leadership comes self-confidence," Bidwill said. "He carries himself with self-confidence – and should, because of what he's done in his career. This is the next natural step for him. It's not too big of a job for him."

The big difference is Wilks actually was hired to handle the D and change the culture.  Keim who was a very established GM basically killed Wilks by hiring the entire offensive staff.  Douglas hasn't done that to Saleh.  

Wilks resume as thin as it was, was at least as good as Saleh's.  Wilks was a terrific positional coach and did a pretty good job in Carolina.  

Where in AZ do you live?  I lived in Scottsdale very close to Carefree and the Boulders.  Moved back to CT last year.  

I stand corrected and I am shocked honestly. My understanding was that he was hired for his defensive prowess and reputation. Similar to how Gase was hired here but his defensive staff was hired for him. 

I'm in Gilbert now...you moved back east? Miss the snow? hahaha

1 minute ago, jetspenguin said:

I stand corrected and I am shocked honestly. My understanding was that he was hired for his defensive prowess and reputation. Similar to how Gase was hired here but his defensive staff was hired for him. 

I'm in Gilbert now...you moved back east? Miss the snow? hahaha

Other end of the valley.  I missed the Ocean and seasons.  I love sailing.   Loved the desert in the winter.   We were also starting to get pop up fires in the open desert near where I lived. Thought it was a good time to get out.  

The snow sucks but i break it up with a few trips South.  Still have my in laws in AZ.  Another good reason to move back east.

• Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

This “ex Jet scout” is a click bait artist.  
His articles tend to be very contrarian.

He hates Zac, hates Saleh , hates Sauce, hates Johnson picks. Thinks Joe Douglas is bad.

Take it for what its worth, which is very little imo.

He said Sauce will be the top corner in the NFL within 3 years and compared Breece Hall to Adrian Peterson. He also thought Wilson was the best WR in the draft. So 3 out of 4 of the Jets top draft picks, he thinks are going to be stars. He does have some constrain stuff, but your take is also selective.

13 hours ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Dude it’s Daniel Kelly.  “Former Jets Scout”  

That needs to be in the thread title.  Most of Jets Twitter has the guy blocked for good reason.   

I’d reckon because he demolished the QB in pre-draft. We have seen how people react to that even here on our own little corner of the Internet.

I’d reckon because he demolished the QB in pre-draft. We have seen how people react to that even here on our own little corner of the Internet.

JGB had a tough decision who to back here…

well… this Daniel Kelly guy has weird lady lips tattooed on the side of his neck and had Aaron Hernandez autograph tattooed onto his hand after his conviction… but the guy REALLY hates Zach.  

Oh that was easier than I thought.  

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

JGB had a tough decision who to back here…

well… this Daniel Kelly guy has weird lady lips tattooed on the side of his neck and had Aaron Hernandez autograph tattooed onto his hand after his conviction… but the guy REALLY hates Zach.  

Oh that was easier than I thought.  

I don’t back the person but the position. You should try it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Read through his takes.   Contrarian clickbait artist - nothing more.

See several posts above. The most contrarian thing he may have done is predict 3 of 4 top Jets draft picks this year will be stars.

Let’s be honest here — he could predict a Jets SB and he’d still be hated on Jets Twittersphere because he had the audacity to eval the QB (before the Jets drafted him, mind you) as a bust. That’s the cardinal sin.

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, slats said:

For the first time since pre-Parcells, the Jets converted from a 3-4 to a 4-3 base. This requires much different front seven personnel, and would’ve been a huge job to do such an overhaul in one offseason. Many guys were let go because they didn’t fit (McClendon, Anderson, Hewitt, etc.), others had to adjust themselves (like Mosley trimming down).

This is a very good point, but minor correction, Herm's Tampa 2 system was a 4-3.  Mangini installed the 3-4 defense after Herm, and it rendered players like Vilma and Robertson as misfits in the new system.

• Upvote 1

Not a great article, but bottom line, the Jets need to start producing some results sooner rather than later.

I thought the coaching (aside from LaFleur in the second half of the season), left much to be desired.  The team seemed unprepared and completely outmatched too many times last season, and that falls on the Head Coach.  Lack of talent or not, there was a noticeable lack of adjustments that lead to many of the team's problems last year.

One positive is that the Jets were middle of the pack in terms of number of penalties and penalty yards last season.  That was a noticeable upgrade over the Gase years where the Jets were consistently at the bottom of the league.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Biggs said:

Where in AZ do you live?  I lived in Scottsdale very close to Carefree and the Boulders.  Moved back to CT last year.  

I wouldn’t normally jump in on what seems like a somewhat private splinter conversation, but I lived right around the corner from you in Cave Creek for 6 years.  My wife and I still go back to the area every so often to visit her best friend, who lives in the Terravita community - which was probably right near you.  I also grew up in CT, so, small world.

funny how this writer evokes parcells but forgets that parcells was something like 3-13 his first season with the giants as hc.  the coaching problem with the jets is they brought in too many newbies and really didn't have the talent base to fit the scheme saleh and ulbrich wanted to run.  add to that a host of injuries and you get a team at the low end of rankings.  the writer is right about lafleur.  lafleur's coaching picked up once he realized he doing too many things wrong.  the offense also suffered a host of injuries and while injuries shouldn't be considered when assessing a team, i think that applies to established teams not one that has been a poor performer for a decade.

we'll see soon enough.  they brought in some good pieces and it should be fun to see how this all turns out.

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Bungaman said:

^This. According to this criteria, Lombardi, Walsh, Landry, Knoll, Madden, et. al. should have been axed immediately after their first year.

And Kelly is doing exactly what now to earn a living? His skill set has landed him where?

Bill Belicheck really sucked in Cleveland and should have stayed as a DC forever

30 minutes ago, MykePM said:

I wouldn’t normally jump in on what seems like a somewhat private splinter conversation, but I lived right around the corner from you in Cave Creek for 6 years.  My wife and I still go back to the area every so often to visit her best friend, who lives in the Terravita community - which was probably right near you.  I also grew up in CT, so, small world.

I lived in terravita for 8 years  great community   

• Upvote 1

IMO Parcells should have been fired for taking the ball out of Neil O’Donnells hands and letting a rookie running back who had never thrown a pass in HS, College or the NFL throw into the end zone on an option play with the playoffs on the line.
Parcells was going to be fired by the Giants after his first season of 3-12-1. The Mara’s offered his job to Howard Schnellenberger but he turned the job down.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, jgb said:

He said Sauce will be the top corner in the NFL within 3 years and compared Breece Hall to Adrian Peterson. He also thought Wilson was the best WR in the draft. So 3 out of 4 of the Jets top draft picks, he thinks are going to be stars. He does have some constrain stuff, but your take is also selective.

He liked Sauce but not at 4.  Have not seen his comment about him being the best in 3 yrs.  If so, why criticize the selection at all?   He thought we should have taken an edge.   Doesnt like Johnson- says hes a third rounder.

You re entitled to your opinion- i see his takes on Jets FB page and the fans are asking that he be banned from the site.   Its not just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Not a great article, but bottom line, the Jets need to start producing some results sooner rather than later.

I thought the coaching (aside from LaFleur in the second half of the season), left much to be desired.  The team seemed unprepared and completely outmatched too many times last season, and that falls on the Head Coach.  Lack of talent or not, there was a noticeable lack of adjustments that lead to many of the team's problems last year.

One positive is that the Jets were middle of the pack in terms of number of penalties and penalty yards last season.  That was a noticeable upgrade over the Gase years where the Jets were consistently at the bottom of the league.

And I dont remember one instance of a stupid timeout because they werent ready.   How many times have we seen that n the past?

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

He liked Sauce but not at 4.  Have not seen his comment about him being the best in 3 yrs.  If so, why criticize the selection at all?   He thought we should have taken an edge.   Doesnt like Johnson- says hes a third rounder.

You re entitled to your opinion- i see his takes on Jets FB page and the fans are asking that he be banned from the site.   Its not just my opinion.

Except it's not an opinion that your characterization is at best selective, at worst wrong. But it's cool, bro. Not trashing you, or anything. All love.

14 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

And I dont remember one instance of a stupid timeout because they werent ready.   How many times have we seen that n the past?

One of the most maddening things of all time was when Rex would call TO pre-snap before the first offensive play of the game!!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Everybody wants to act like the coaches all sucked, but then act like LaFleur sucked in the first half of the year, but "got better" as the year went on.  I am sure that LaFleur improved and made adjustments, but I am just as sure that the players learning the system and doing what they were supposed to do made more  of a difference to the success or failure of any given play and more importantly to the perception of competence we are now giving LaFleur.  I share everybody's skepticism of the 2021 defense.  They added bodies.  They have to do better, but I think the players were the biggest part of the problem.  Particularly when they were signing guys off the street to start at times. 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Herm, Mangini, Rex, Bowles?  Not true. 

Yes because we gained so much by keeping all of them around.  Particularly Bowles (14-34 beyond his first season).

GM's have been the far bigger problem but none of those HC's were particularly good at coaching football at the HC level.

32 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Yes because we gained so much by keeping all of them around.  Particularly Bowles (14-34 beyond his first season).

GM's have been the far bigger problem but none of those HC's were particularly good at coaching football at the HC level.

Not the point.  The comment was about all the Jets HCs after Parcells who could have been fired after year one.  The ones I listed went no worse than 9-7 and some made the playoffs, one went to the AFCCG.  Not one earned a firing.  
That’s all, first season has nothing to do with longevity.