Jump to content

NFL odds bettors back shocking team to win division


Recommended Posts

If Wilson plays like Burrow did, this is a potential Super Bowl team, sure. But anyone expecting that is nuts.

Also, it didn't say we had the most bets to win the AFCE, just that we had more 1st place bets than the Pats. Which makes sense - the Pats don't have much upside and their odds at 5-1 aren't long enough if you're looking for a high-risk high-reward choice to beat out the heavy favorite Bills (which is where most of the money is and should be coming in)

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

"Bettors are looking for the next long shot, and the Jets match up in a lot of ways. In fact, the Jets' current +15000 odds to win the Super Bowl are identical to the odds given to the Bengals at this point last year," Newman said.

So there’s that. 

Quote

A closer geographical look reveals a different story. In New Jersey, the Jets rank seventh in handle and ninth in bets to win the Super Bowl; in New York, the Jets rank second in handle and fourth in bets to win it all.

And that. 

Quote

According to FOX Sports research, in NFL history, only four teams have gone from having four wins or fewer in one season to making the playoffs the next (1988 Bengals, 1999 Rams, 2019 49ers and 2021 Bengals). There have been 24 teams to reach the Super Bowl after finishing below .500 in the regular season the year before.

And, of course, that. 
 
It’s nice to see the Jets getting this kind of attention. The article talks about the draft they just had being a contributing factor as well. The potential certainly exists, but absolutely everything would have to fall perfectly into place for it to happen. If I was gonna place a bet at all on the Jets, Breece Hall +800 to win ORoY would probably be the one. I wish the best of luck to anyone who plops their money down on this team. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jgb said:

This data confirms what common sense already informed: the Jets positive futures action is not from in-the-know sharps but feel-good fan bets coming in heavily from NY/NJ.

Nothing wrong with that but one should go in eyes wide open. Never bet more than you can afford to lose.

You couldn’t give me that advice last year when I was betting mims anytime touchdown scorer every week?

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Didn't the people that bet on the Bengals to win last year's super bowl win the same amount of money as the people that bet on the Jets? 

If they are smart they hedged by betting on the rams straight up to win.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

If they are smart they hedged by betting on the rams straight up to win.

Imagine letting it all ride on that and losing?

You're so far ahead on a long shot - plus getting this far with a team that lost 7 games outright, plus won the first OT game due to a 1st down fumble on the border of FG range, and all 3 playoff games within 1 score - and you don't hedge to walk away a still-big, sure-thing winner?

It's one thing to plop down a couple bucks (whatever's a couple bucks to that person) on a long shot because meh why not. Once they've gotten that far, by not hedging he's now gambling $7500 (half the +15000, for every $100 originally wagered) hoping to double it up to $15000 on one no-spread game. 

Of course, we'd be talking about someone who'd already reached this level without hedging in prior playoff rounds as it is. After the game we're talking about someone whose wife brained his dumb ass with a tire iron.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Imagine letting it all ride on that and losing?

You're so far ahead on a long shot - plus getting this far with a team that lost 7 games outright, plus won the first OT game due to a 1st down fumble on the border of FG range, and all 3 playoff games within 1 score - and you don't hedge to walk away a still-big, sure-thing winner?

It's one thing to plop down a couple bucks (whatever's a couple bucks to that person) on a long shot because meh why not. Once they've gotten that far, by not hedging he's now gambling $7500 (half the +15000, for every $100 originally wagered) hoping to double it up to $15000 on one no-spread game. 

Of course, we'd be talking about someone who'd already reached this level without hedging in prior playoff rounds as it is. After the game we're talking about someone whose wife brained his dumb ass with a tire iron.

I suspect that plenty of people would still see it as “only 50 dollars” or whatever the initial bet was and wouldn’t consider they were already deep in the money. A fool and his money…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

I suspect that plenty of people would still see it as “only 50 dollars” or whatever the initial bet was and wouldn’t consider they were already deep in the money. A fool and his money…

To be fair, I assume that 97% of the people that bet on the Bengals to win the super bowl in July of 2021 were rabid, senseless Bengals fans.  If I were one I might not want to bet on the Rams for fear of ******* with my mojo.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to a spectacular Bills collapse.  I’m currently sitting in the Atlanta airport and there are four Bills fans right next to me. 
 

All of them decked out in Bills gear ( for some reason in mid July in the airport) and all of them look like they spend too much time at the Chinese buffet before heading home to their western NY trailer park. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JetsMetsDevilsPA said:

 

6 hours ago, jgb said:

This data confirms what common sense already informed: the Jets positive futures action is not from in-the-know sharps but feel-good fan bets coming in heavily from NY/NJ.

Nothing wrong with that but one should go in eyes wide open. Never bet more than you can afford to lose.

This 👆

 

IMO this a a terrible sign for the season ahead 😥😢😔

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

To be fair, I assume that 97% of the people that bet on the Bengals to win the super bowl in July of 2021 were rabid, senseless Bengals fans.  If I were one I might not want to bet on the Rams for fear of ******* with my mojo.  

You are undoubtedly correct. They were probably afraid to jinx it so they flushed a couple G's down the toilet instead :D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

9 hours ago, jgb said:

This data confirms what common sense already informed: the Jets positive futures action is not from in-the-know sharps but feel-good fan bets coming in heavily from NY/NJ.

Nothing wrong with that but one should go in eyes wide open. Never bet more than you can afford to lose.

LOL @jgb thinking that "feel-good fan bets" are coming in from Jets fans.  We are Jets fans.  We never feel good.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

2 winning seasons since 2007??? Was this article written in 2010? No wonder people were betting on the Jets to win the division!


Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

You ninja'd me...

"Yes, the woeful Jets, who have had two winning seasons since 2007, have more bets on them to win the AFC East at DraftKings Sportsbook than the New England Patriots!".

 

So, of 2008, 09, 10 and 15, which 2 were fever dreams of mine?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

LO

LOL @jgb thinking that "feel-good fan bets" are coming in from Jets fans.  We are Jets fans.  We never feel good.

That's a keeper of a post right there! 

Too real! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

You ninja'd me...

"Yes, the woeful Jets, who have had two winning seasons since 2007, have more bets on them to win the AFC East at DraftKings Sportsbook than the New England Patriots!".

 

So, of 2008, 09, 10 and 15, which 2 were fever dreams of mine?

I assume they meant "made the playoffs" but still incorrect and bad form.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, PepPep said:

"The New York Jets (+2200) have more bets on them to win the AFC East than the New England Patriots (+500)."

Nfl Draft Hello GIF by New England Patriots

They frame that like it's shocking but given the Bills are almost certainly going to win the division I'd rather take the long odds of the Jets than the Pats or Dolphins too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

 

LOL @jgb thinking that "feel-good fan bets" are coming in from Jets fans.  We are Jets fans.  We never feel good.

Counter: it’s the off season… the only time we do feel good.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Dang, 53 tickets to the Super Bowl must be expensive.  

Ouch ... to real man.....

We're not supposed to lose hope or turn on each other until game 1.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...