Jets Sorta West

slats

Didn’t want to derail the milf celebration thread with football talk, but I’m wondering if the cast Zach has with him in Idaho is an indication of who might and might not make the team. Specifically Jeff Smith being on hand but not Mims, and Wesco being the only bubble TE there. 

Last year, Mims saw the field more than Smith on offense, but Smith’s special teams snaps brought him just about even. Yeboah and Cager weren’t close to Wesco on offense (I don’t believe Cager saw the field at all), while Yeboah did contribute on specials almost as much as Wesco. 

I had Smith and Wesco making the team before this trip, this only makes me believe it more. Four TEs, five WRs. 

image.png

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, slats said:

Didn’t want to derail the milf celebration thread with football talk, but I’m wondering if the cast Zach has with him in Idaho is an indication of who might and might not make the team. Specifically Jeff Smith being on hand but not Mims, and Wesco being the only bubble TE there. 

Last year, Mims saw the field more than Smith on offense, but Smith’s special teams snaps brought him just about even. Yeboah and Cager weren’t close to Wesco on offense (I don’t believe Cager saw the field at all), while Yeboah did contribute on specials almost as much as Wesco. 

I had Smith and Wesco making the team before this trip, this only makes me believe it more. Four TEs, five WRs. 

image.png

I don't think this is any indication one way or the other. I think it may be a bit meaningful that Mims either wasn't invited or didn't make the extra effort to go, so on Smith it may be an relationship/work habits tell and those are factors that might result in Smith winning a competition with Mims, but it doesn't tell you anything about the roster construction plan and I think it's completely meaningless for Wesco.

Also, if Wesco makes the team he makes it as a FB/H-Back instead of Bawden; he's never going to see the field as a 4th TE and there's no reason to keep him in that role or as a second FB - he's not high enough upside to keep him as an inactive/developmental player, especially given that the TE room is set for the next 3 years already and he's in the last year of his deal, plus he doesn't contribute uniquely enough on specials to make that his ticket to the roster.

Unrelatedly, dude looks like an OL in that picture.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

I think it’s very related. I’m expecting a run driven offense this year with a lot more 12/21 personnel, and a guy like Wesco who can comfortably play TE or FB could be rewarded for his versatility. The fact that he has 20lbs on Bowden probably doesn’t hurt, either. One of the reasons for the lack of urgency at OT could be plans to have TE help on the field a lot. Last year all they carried was blocking TEs, really. Conklin and Ruckert are both complete TEs and Uzomah is more of a receiver. Carrying the blocking guy balances the room. I could see one or both of Yeboah and Cager making it to the practice squad. 

Mims not being there is more telling. Whether it was a lack of invite or a lack of desire to be there on his part, it does not look good. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, slats said:

I think it’s very related. I’m expecting a run driven offense this year with a lot more 12/21 personnel, and a guy like Wesco who can comfortably play TE or FB could be rewarded for his versatility. The fact that he has 20lbs on Bowden probably doesn’t hurt, either. One of the reasons for the lack of urgency at OT could be plans to have TE help on the field a lot. Last year all they carried was blocking TEs, really. Conklin and Ruckert are both complete TEs and Uzomah is more of a receiver. Carrying the blocking guy balances the room. I could see one or both of Yeboah and Cager making it to the practice squad. 

Mims not being there is more telling. Whether it was a lack of invite or a lack of desire to be there on his part, it does not look good. 

Problem with Wesco is that he regularly wiffed on his blocks.  The main reason he is there but they could be trying to play the comp pick formula with him.

As far as Mims not being there I would not read into but time will tell only few more weeks now.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, slats said:

image.png

sweet we finally get rid of Corey Davis

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

Berrios stats this year are going to shock people, the chemistry he has with Wilson on and off the field

are going to translate to catches.  Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with 65-70  

This would mean having one of Davis, Moore, or Wilson on the bench in a lot of 3 WR sets. Is that gonna happen by design or by attrition? Naming Berrios the “starting” slot would be a big deal. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

And look at her ankles! No way they can support that butt for a whole season. 

I thought there was something funky with her feet, I think you’re right it’s more the ankle-leg proportion thing gone awry 

39 minutes ago, slats said:

This would mean having one of Davis, Moore, or Wilson on the bench in a lot of 3 WR sets. Is that gonna happen by design or by attrition? Naming Berrios the “starting” slot would be a big deal. 

Garrett Wilson is going to be brought along slowly.  He will rotate in w/ davis and moore on the outside.  There is 0 need to rush Garrett onto the field.

Berrios proved last year he makes plays when hes on the field.  The slot is his this year.  Like the previous poster said, 60-70 catches is very doable for him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Berrios stats this year are going to shock people, the chemistry he has with Wilson on and off the field

are going to translate to catches.  Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with 65-70  

Bornjets - you here buddy?

Sorry but the opportunity was just too good.

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

I don't think this is any indication one way or the other. I think it may be a bit meaningful that Mims either wasn't invited or didn't make the extra effort to go, so on Smith it may be an relationship/work habits tell and those are factors that might result in Smith winning a competition with Mims, but it doesn't tell you anything about the roster construction plan and I think it's completely meaningless for Wesco.

Also, if Wesco makes the team he makes it as a FB/H-Back instead of Bawden; he's never going to see the field as a 4th TE and there's no reason to keep him in that role or as a second FB - he's not high enough upside to keep him as an inactive/developmental player, especially given that the TE room is set for the next 3 years already and he's in the last year of his deal, plus he doesn't contribute uniquely enough on specials to make that his ticket to the roster.

Completely agree. 

To me (and I've said this before), Wesco is in a precarious situation. He is in no-mans land at TE with two guys definitively ahead of him on the depth chart, a third guy (Ruckert) who will almost definitely make the team as a 3rd round rookie, and two TEs who are probably just as good at blocking -his strength- as he is (Conklin and Ruckert). At FB, his other potential role on the team, the Jets have Bawden, who is much more of a traditional FB and played well in the few opportunities he was provided. Unless there is something I am missing, the Jets have way too many quality players on the team that will be vying for roster spots for them to keep Wesco as a 3rd blocking TE a backup FB or purely a blocking H-back. 

My prediction is:

5 WRs: Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Mims/Smith - this should be a great battle to watch, could see Mims getting traded.  

3 TEs: CJ, Conk, Ruckert

4 RBs: Carter, Hall, Coleman, Bawden (FB)   

*This also POTENTIALLY leaves room for the Jets to make a tough cut elsewhere to leave room for 6 WRs, rather than keeping a guy like Wesco. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Yes, his 69s definitely fall into the range of 65-70

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Agreed.  He’s going to be Zach’s third and short go to guy. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Completely agree. 

To me (and I've said this before), Wesco is in a precarious situation. He is in no-mans land at TE with two guys definitively ahead of him on the depth chart, a third guy (Ruckert) who will almost definitely make the team as a 3rd round rookie, and two TEs who are probably just as good at blocking -his strength- as he is (Conklin and Ruckert). At FB, his other potential role on the team, the Jets have Bawden, who is much more of a traditional FB and played well in the few opportunities he was provided. Unless there is something I am missing, the Jets have way too many quality players on the team that will be vying for roster spots for them to keep Wesco as a 3rd blocking TE a backup FB or purely a blocking H-back. 

My prediction is:

5 WRs: Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Mims/Smith - this should be a great battle to watch, could see Mims getting traded.  

3 TEs: CJ, Conk, Ruckert

4 RBs: Carter, Hall, Coleman, Bawden (FB)   

*This also POTENTIALLY leaves room for the Jets to make a tough cut elsewhere to leave room for 6 WRs, rather than keeping a guy like Wesco. 

I think this team needs to keep 6 WRs.  Last season we had so many injuries we were starting guys who might not even make a training camp this year.  There are going to be situations where they want 4 WRs on the field so they will almost certainly want to have 5 active on any given day.  That's hard to do with only 5 on the 53-man.  I believe most teams either roster 6 WRs or 4 TEs but carry 9 combined.

3 QB, 9 OL, 6 WR, 3 TE, 4 RB = 25 which is perfectly balanced.  25 Offense, 25 Defense, Kicker, Punter, Snapper.

Some teams go 24 Offense / 26 Defense I believe.  We could do that, and certainly have enough DL and DBs to justify that, but I think we may be able to carry one less LB than most teams do.  

3 hours ago, slats said:

FWIW, Cager was a final cut last year.  He was signed by the Browns in October and spent the year yo-yo-ing between their practice squad and roster.  I believe he played one total snap.  As far as I can see, it was on offense against the Lions week 11.  In 2020 he played 39 snaps over two games and had a target (incomplete).  The Jets signed him to a futures deal in January and announced he was moving to TE.  I am not sure why anybody would be confident in him making the roster.  Douglas obviously likes him, but he was cut while Mims, Smith, Yeboah and Wesco all were not.  He was on the street for months.  He has yet to play a special teams snap which will certainly hurt him.  I get that he is a guy with some talent and a ton of injury issues, but he is a pretty long shot.  Also, he has small hands!  

DOMINATOR'S PROJECTION:  Doesn't make the roster, but has the potential to stick around the practice squad and possibly see the active roster/field in case of several injuries.

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Some teams go 24 Offense / 26 Defense I believe.  We could do that, and certainly have enough DL and DBs to justify that, but I think we may be able to carry one less LB than most teams do.

This is exactly what I think will happen- 24 Offense, 26 Defense. So much depth on the D (and Saleh loves his depth on D), with the caveat that we instead keep 6 WRs, which I noted in my post! We seem to agree fully! lol. 

The Jets kept 5 WRs last year but you are right, maybe the will want to keep 6 this year.