Jets Sorta West

slats

48 minutes ago, PorP said:

You remember right.  

Conny was the carrier

I have two random second hand connections to Constellation...

My friend Tim Valentines father was a NYC Fireman and worked the Constellation fire at the Brooklyn Naval Yard when she was being built...and another guy I worked with, Angel "Butch" Serrano was an SK on the Connie for a Med Cruise. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I have two random second hand connections to Constellation...

My friend Tim Valentines father was a NYC Fireman and worked the Constellation fire at the Brooklyn Naval Yard when she was being built...and another guy I worked with, Angel "Butch" Serrano was an SK on the Connie for a Med Cruise. 

Very cool. 

Ya she had a plaque on her to commemorate the lives lost in that fire. 

12 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I think Conklin completely erases Wesco from the Roster. He's a better receiver,  a better blocker, and is both versatile and effective.  

Bro, is that Flacco? Good to see...I guess...?

I Have No Idea Shrug GIF

I could be wrong but I believe Minn used Conklin in that FB role too which would eliminate need for Wesco and Bawden so they can keep 6 wr or whatever use roster spot elsewhere

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

I could be wrong but I believe Minn used Conklin in that FB role too which would eliminate need for Wesco and Bawden so they can keep 6 wr or whatever use roster spot elsewhere

I think it’ll depend on how they plan to run the offense this year. I expect more than league average 12 & 21 personnel, and I think it’ll be rare for them to ever run without a TE and a RB on the field at all times. I know they love Ruckert, and that he’s a solid blocker, too, but TEs often take longer to develop than other positions. Another thing to consider is that the TEs they let walk were core special teamers and that Wesco also plays a lot of specials. I think if it comes down to Wesco vs. Mims for a roster spot, Wesco might be more valuable. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think it’ll depend on how they plan to run the offense this year. I expect more than league average 12 & 21 personnel, and I think it’ll be rare for them to ever run without a TE and a RB on the field at all times. I know they love Ruckert, and that he’s a solid blocker, too, but TEs often take longer to develop than other positions. Another thing to consider is that the TEs they let walk were core special teamers and that Wesco also plays a lot of specials. I think if it comes down to Wesco vs. Mims for a roster spot, Wesco might be more valuable. 

another thing to consider is 17 game season and how those little WR take beaten sometimes especially Berrious (thats why they need "Bam" to work out as returner).  Also they should also be thinking playoffs (yes I know Ha Ha) you have to as GM prepare for a potential long season and I do not see anyway the core 5 do not miss some games and the fallback to that is relying on PS player for critical position.

2 hours ago, slats said:

Wesco gonna be the next Douglas trade for a 6th pick. 
Mims is here to stay. 

9 hours ago, slats said:

Just don't see it. Our defense will still be bad, and 12 and 21 are formations with the lead. Ithink we will run 10 more than 21 and 12 at most 20%.

16 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Joe Flacco living his best life. Super Bowl Champion mentoring Zach hanging with the young pups. Who's got it better than him? . I still dont quite understand Mike White's role on the team. 

It’s really nice fir the young guys to get to be around a Super Bowl MVP who has one of the best performances in the playoffs ever. “ it’s not how you start, it’s how you finish.” Joe Flacco is a finisher. Thank you Joe Flacco, thank you. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Just don't see it. Our defense will still be bad, and 12 and 21 are formations with the lead. Ithink we will run 10 more than 21 and 12 at most 20%.

Not sure what makes you say bad?  Bad was last year and we gained solid experience in the secondary,  much improved pass rush and only lost Foley. 

I'm not saying top 10 as we still have the LB hole and we're relying real heavy on a rookie.  But I think middle of the pack is obtainium.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

At most 20%?  Think that’s you may be a little short on this one

Not sure what makes you say bad?  Bad was last year and we gained solid experience in the secondary,  much improved pass rush and only lost Foley. 
I'm not saying top 10 as we still have the LB hole and we're relying real heavy on a rookie.  But I think middle of the pack is obtainium.
Agreed. We added 5 or 6 pieces on the defensive side of the ball in areas of weakness. Do we still have holes? Yes of course. Don't ALL teams still have holes? YES.

Our line and secondary are light years ahead of last year so it's almost impossible to be worse than the way they performed already.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

• Upvote 1

I think the defense is poised to take a bigger jump than the offense this year. Last year, the cupboard on that side of the ball was barren. The only meaningful free agent signing went down before the season, the franchise tagged safety went down shortly afterwards, they had fifth and sixth round rookies starting in the secondary and not nearly enough horses for the pass rush they wanted to run. It is very different this year. CB and Edge are suddenly strengths of the roster. The starting DL is improved and it’s deep to the point where the Jets will cut players who make other teams’ 53. I have the same concerns about the rushing defense as anyone, but I expect the Jets to play a lot of man coverage with Whitehead in the box to help scheme against the run. 

Offensively, they’ll be trying to keep the defense off the field with a ball control heavy attack. Lots of Breece Hall and throwing out of rushing formations. Conklin and Ruckert are both complete TEs who can block and catch. Hall and MC2 can run and catch. Lots of easy throwing opportunities for the QB they’re still trying to develop. The team brought in three TEs better than anyone on the roster last year and a new #1 RB, while they lost two WRs and only added one. You’re gonna see a lot of those TEs this year. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, jetspenguin said:

Agreed. We added 5 or 6 pieces on the defensive side of the ball in areas of weakness. Do we still have holes? Yes of course. Don't ALL teams still have holes? YES.

Our line and secondary are light years ahead of last year so it's almost impossible to be worse than the way they performed already.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

We also lost half of the defense to injuries last season. 
EDIT:  Typed without reading @slats post pointing out injuries. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

I think the defense is poised to take a bigger jump than the offense this year. Last year, the cupboard on that side of the ball was barren. The only meaningful free agent signing went down before the season, the franchise tagged safety went down shortly afterwards, they had fifth and sixth round rookies starting in the secondary and not nearly enough horses for the pass rush they wanted to run. It is very different this year. CB and Edge are suddenly strengths of the roster. The starting DL is improved and it’s deep to the point where the Jets will cut players who make other teams’ 53. I have the same concerns about the rushing defense as anyone, but I expect the Jets to play a lot of man coverage with Whitehead in the box to help scheme against the run. 

Offensively, they’ll be trying to keep the defense off the field with a ball control heavy attack. Lots of Breece Hall and throwing out of rushing formations. Conklin and Ruckert are both complete TEs who can block and catch. Hall and MC2 can run and catch. Lots of easy throwing opportunities for the QB they’re still trying to develop. The team brought in three TEs better than anyone on the roster last year and a new #1 RB, while they lost two WRs and only added one. You’re gonna see a lot of those TEs this year. 

We just see things differently. Again I think your concept only works with a lead and we will not have that often and outside of Miami 12 is just not run as much as you think it is. I don't really care how we play really. I also think the offense is way way ahead of the defense in talent.

• Thumb Down 1