Jump to content

Even With a Dominant Pre-Season, Jets’ Becton Could Land at Right Tackle


JetNation
 Share

Recommended Posts

IF Becton has a fantastic pre-season at LT there is no way he plays RT just because Fant (the guy with no extension coming into this year) is better on the left side than the right side. Becton was drafted to play LT. While I understand the the o-line as a whole may be a bit better if Fant stayed on the left side and Becton moved to the right, for the future of the team, the Jets will keep Becton on the left side if he is 'dominating' there as the OP words it. Now way will Fant's play determine where Becton plays. Becton's play will determine where he plays.   

  • Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

IF Becton has a fantastic pre-season at LT there is no way he plays RT just because Fant (the guy with no extension coming into this year) is better on the left side than the right side. Becton was drafted to play LT. While I understand the the o-line as a whole may be a bit better if Fant stayed on the left side and Becton moved to the right, for the future of the team, the Jets will keep Becton on the left side if he is 'dominating' there as the OP words it. Now way will Fant's play determine where Becton plays. Becton's play will determine where he plays.   

Hes not getting an opportunity this camp to play LT.  Why is this hard to understand?  When camp starts, he will be on the right side and he is staying there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, freestater said:

Sure, but the next guy Baldy is critical of, will be the first.

Fair. But that's not Baldy's deal. He's not the guy that gives balanced analysis being critical of players. He's the hype guy. That's his angle and he's great at it. You want to see some analysis of highlights and breakdowns of why players on the Jets could be real contributors, watch Baldy's breakdowns. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes not getting an opportunity this camp to play LT.  Why is this hard to understand?  When camp starts, he will be on the right side and he is staying there.

Well, I tend to disagree. Even if to avoid a PR nightmare with the 'Becton camp' they are going to at the very least give him a shot. Are you suggesting they have been talking about this battle at LT between the two and now they will have Fant and McDermott taking the LT snaps? I mean maybe...maybe they stick him at RT right away. But I wouldn't be nearly as sure as you are. 

Personally, I think when camp starts they keep things open (both guys vying for the LT spot) and see how the competition goes, then adjust. In other words, if Fant seems to have the edge right away, maybe THEN they decide to stick Becton at RT. If Becton comes in and immediately shows he is the better player on the left side, they start giving Fant more snaps at RT. Saleh can be fluid with the situation. Doesn't have to be cut and dry.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Well, I tend to disagree. Even if to avoid a PR nightmare with the 'Becton camp' they are going to at the very least give him a shot. Are you suggesting they have been talking about this battle at LT between the two and now they will have Fant and McDermott taking the LT snaps? I mean maybe...maybe they stick him at RT right away. But I wouldn't be nearly as sure as you are. 

Personally, I think when camp starts they keep things open (both guys vying for the LT spot) and see how the competition goes, then adjust. In other words, if Fant seems to have the edge right away, maybe THEN they decide to stick Becton at RT. If Becton comes in and immediately shows he is the better player on the left side, they start giving Fant more snaps at RT. Saleh can be fluid with the situation. Doesn't have to be cut and dry.  

There is only one LT spot.  They need to get this line to gel with a new player in tomlinson, AVT moving to the right side etc.  Thy do not have time to be swapping back and forth at LT for a few weeks.  When the first snap is taken, Becton will be on the right side and he will stay there.  And if questions are asked, they are going to say, 'It just worked out that way and we decided to keep a good thing going."

They are not worried about the Becton camp as they havent had anything good to say about him anyway.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

One sack allowed for the for the entire season. Zach was well protected on the blind side. Fant had an outstanding season. 

He filled in admirably and helped allow Zach to progress as a rookie, and for that I think he was team MVP.  But I don't think you'll find anyone outside of a cluster of Jets fans who think Fant was one of the better LTs in the league last year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With his play last year Fant has earned the starting left tackle position. Big George was one of the better pass protecting LTs last season. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

and..............who exactly will be playing RT in this scenario?

TBD. If I had to guess I would say we might see the rookie get some playing time depending on how things shake out. I believe Edoga is also still on the team. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

There is only one LT spot.  They need to get this line to gel with a new player in tomlinson, AVT moving to the right side etc.  Thy do not have time to be swapping back and forth at LT for a few weeks.  When the first snap is taken, Becton will be on the right side and he will stay there.  And if questions are asked, they are going to say, 'It just worked out that way and we decided to keep a good thing going."

They are not worried about the Becton camp as they havent had anything good to say about him anyway.

 

Maybe, lol, I mean you are acting like you are part of the braintrust.

I agree that the line has to gel, but i'm not talking about swapping positions back and forth throughout all of camp. I'm talking about giving him a shot. And let me be clear. If he shows any promise as a future LT- THEY HAVE TO. This is why Fant does not have an extension yet. They want to know if Becton can be the future LT. The WILL NOT just plug him in at RT without giving him an opportunity at LT. Especially if he comes in dominating in camp.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Maybe, lol, I mean you are acting like you are part of the braintrust.

I agree that the line has to gel, but i'm not talking about swapping positions back and forth throughout all of camp. I'm talking about giving him a shot. And let me be clear. If he shows any promise as a future LT- THEY HAVE TO. This is why Fant does not have an extension yet. They want to know if Becton can be the future LT. The WILL NOT just plug him in at RT without giving him an opportunity at LT. Especially if he comes in dominating in camp.  

And to give him a shot, you have to let them compete for weeks, in preseason games etc.  You dont give a guy a chance to compete and call it a wrap in 3 days.

Its not happening.  Its already been decided.  Fant is the LT and becton is the RT.  And its absolutely the right move.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And to give him a shot, you have to let them compete for weeks, in preseason games etc.  You dont give a guy a chance to compete and call it a wrap in 3 days.

Its not happening.  Its already been decided.  Fant is the LT and becton is the RT.  And its absolutely the right move.

He has to practice first. Expectations he’s on the field with the team at the first day of camp? I’d say doubtful 

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And to give him a shot, you have to let them compete for weeks, in preseason games etc.  You dont give a guy a chance to compete and call it a wrap in 3 days.

Its not happening.  Its already been decided.  Fant is the LT and becton is the RT.  And its absolutely the right move.

This is projection. If they loved Fant at LT, he’d already have a new contract. They want Becton to win the job. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Strategically the Jets do not want to let Becton show the NFL he can play LT and stay there healthy.  It does not help their bargaining position.

The smartest thing to do this year is to play Fant at LT to start, Becton at RT, and have a good FA swing tackle signed.

The odds of Fant playing the entire season at LT are pretty low.  Becton will have a chance to prove himself there, and the FA would then play RT.  If Becton goes out, which is also likely, same answer.  

If Becton can play 13+ games, we will pick up his 5th year option.  We should let him play that out and then move on.  Giving him a second contract would be GM suicide and completely out of character for the Johnsons.

Next year Fant, McGovern, Edoga and McGovern will need replacing.   There is still alot of work to do here. 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few thoughts--

We've seen video's of Becton working out and that's positive.  But he sure didn't look that good at the mandatory minicamp.  Jury is still out as to how serious he is about his pro career.

The fact that Becton refused to come to the voluntary workouts--even a token appearance--might indicate he is distressed about a shift to RT.  His earning potential as a RT is considerably less than as a LT.

Fant had an very good year in '21 at LT.  He argued for an extension but none was offered.  JD probably wants a prove it season before considering laying out the necessary $ to keep Fant.

Not every great OL is a 1st or 2nd round pick.  Lower round choices and even UDFA's can become strong performers.  But you need the luxury of time to develop those players.  So Jets need patience with Becton even if he doesn't live up to his draft status.  Jets have plenty of needs to address in early rounds of draft.  Don't create a need at OT.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It's those skinny ankles. I was going to bet on this horse back in 1973, but I took one look at the ankles and I said, "how can that horse even stand up with those tiny, skinny ankles." Can't fool me.

image.thumb.png.69faa342a7c1d7f3f177314968af5a78.png

Nearly 50 years later, I still think that Belmont was the greatest performance in sports I have ever seen...

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Nearly 50 years later, I still think that Belmont was the greatest performance in sports I have ever seen...

Right up there. The amazing thing was that Secretariat was actually speeding up through the quarters. He would have probably launched into space if the race had been five miles. Just astonishing. Left me tearful to watch it. Transcendent.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

In my opinion the left tackle spot will all depend on how Becton and Fant handle reps against Lawson. Becton sucked against the speed rush… Fant did a good job against both the speed and bulrush last season.

If Becton  comes in to camp at 375+ I think he is our right tackle this season.

I hope that Lawson is sufficiently recovered to test them both.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Fant can be our starting LT week 1, for sure, but completely disagree with the idea that Becton could have a dominant preseason and not be the starting LT. That just makes no sense IMO. You want your best LT starting and if Becton is dominating it will be better than anything Fant is physically capable of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It's those skinny ankles. I was going to bet on this horse back in 1973, but I took one look at the ankles and I said, "how can that horse even stand up with those tiny, skinny ankles." Can't fool me.

image.thumb.png.69faa342a7c1d7f3f177314968af5a78.png

My favorite Greatest race horse I’ve ever seen. RIP Big Red

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Right up there. The amazing thing was that Secretariat was actually speeding up through the quarters. He would have probably launched into space if the race had been five miles. Just astonishing. Left me tearful to watch it. Transcendent.

Sham was just born at the wrong time. The greatest race horse no one has ever heard of.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Right up there. The amazing thing was that Secretariat was actually speeding up through the quarters. He would have probably launched into space if the race had been five miles. Just astonishing. Left me tearful to watch it. Transcendent.

That record could still be standing 1000 years from now...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think Fant can be our starting LT week 1, for sure, but completely disagree with the idea that Becton could have a dominant preseason and not be the starting LT. That just makes no sense IMO. You want your best LT starting and if Becton is dominating it will be better than anything Fant is physically capable of.

I guess the question is whether the Jets OL is better with Becton or Fant at LT with the other at RT.  If it’s better overall with Fant at LT, then the Jets can decide what to do in 2023. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, varjet said:

I guess the question is whether the Jets OL is better with Becton or Fant at LT with the other at RT.  If it’s better overall with Fant at LT, then the Jets can decide what to do in 2023. 

the o-line will be better overall with the better LT playing. Maybe that's Fant, but if Becton is dominating in preseason I promise you it wont be.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Nearly 50 years later, I still think that Belmont was the greatest performance in sports I have ever seen...

 

1 hour ago, peekskill68 said:

That record could still be standing 1000 years from now...

A buddy of mine has a framed picture of Ron Turcotte looking to his left. Big Red was halfway through the stretch and the other horses in the race still hadn’t made it to the start of the turn on the opposite side of the track

Most dominant performance ever in any sporting event 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Sham was just born at the wrong time. The greatest race horse no one has ever heard of.

Such a great point.  Sham's Derby time is estimated to be just under 2 minutes, which would be 3rd fastest in history...

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Matt39 said:

He has to practice first. Expectations he’s on the field with the team at the first day of camp? I’d say doubtful 

Or the same as Fant

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...