Even With a Dominant Pre-Season, Jets’ Becton Could Land at Right Tackle

30 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

Fant is the teams LT. There's no competition etc. He's the LT and is under contract. Who ends up at RT is the question mark. Whether they sign someone or Becton is able to get in shape..or if its Mcdermott. Edoga just isnt good. I dont think the Jets opening day RT is on the roster currently.

38 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I agree they’re going to play a T already on the team, Fant.  Not Edoga.  Edoga is lucky if he makes the team, he’s a scrub backup who leaves you cringing if he has to enter a game.  I don’t get the whole we’d hear if they were trying to sign Fant.   JFM signing came out of nowhere as have other signings over the years.  The Jets aren’t trading Fant for a day 3 pick and then starting Edoga.  The Jets have Fant competing for the starting LT spot, the most important spot on the OL and you have him as a mid season trade for a day 3 pick?  

See, we differ a lot on Fant. IMO this competition  is BS. Becton is going to be the LT if he can walk. The Jets have an enormous  investment in Becton and if he can line up, they are putting him at left tackle. Becton would have to be really bad imo for the team to play him anywhere else. Fant is only going to start because of the season he had last year but there is nothing else in his body of work that dictates he is a starter and I am not buying that some how everyone else overlooked his talent. I happen to think he got a number of favorable matchups or he benefited from playing next to AVT which btw could  be why AVT is changing to RG so they have continuity with them playing together. 

This of course is pure speculation  on my part. But it is what I believe. I think Fant is still a backup who had a good season as a starter and nothing more. 

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

See, we differ a lot on Fant. IMO this competition  is BS. Becton is going to be the LT if he can walk. The Jets have an enormous  investment in Becton and if he can line up, they are putting him at left tackle. Becton would have to be really bad imo for the team to play him anywhere else. Fant is only going to start because of the season he had last year but there is nothing else in his body of work that dictates he is a starter and I am not buying that some how everyone else overlooked his talent. I happen to think he got a number of favorable matchups or he benefited from playing next to AVT which btw could  be why AVT is changing to RG so they have continuity with them playing together. 

This of course is pure speculation  on my part. But it is what I believe. I think Fant is still a backup who had a good season as a starter and nothing more. 

Becton should be the LT.  But I get the competition for the position.  And don’t see the problem having two good Ts when you need two. 
AVT is moving to RG because he’s played there before and LT prefers to stay at his LG position.  

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, this really wasn't meant but it is something

It also sounds like they are miles apart. 

I don’t know how far apart they are but they are talking, which you said wasn’t happening.    For the Jets to make an offer after Fants one good year, it’s likely going to reflect that uncertainty.  If Fant wants to bet on himself and play out this year, that’s his choice.  If he wins and has another great year, the Jets win too- either he convinces them he is the real deal and worth investing in , or he plays well and signs elsewhere, we get better comp picks.

If he regresses to the mean , they can move on, or sign him to a less lucrative deal.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Bowles Movement said:

And that’s that, they want him and as long as he doesn’t overplay his hand or he sucks in preseason he’s not going anywhere.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Bowles Movement said:

I don’t know how far apart they are but they are talking, which you said wasn’t happening.    For the Jets to make an offer after Fants one good year, it’s likely going to reflect that uncertainty.  If Fant wants to bet on himself and play out this year, that’s his choice.  If he wins and has another great year, the Jets win too- either he convinces them he is the real deal and worth investing in , or he plays well and signs elsewhere, we get better comp picks.

If he regresses to the mean , they can move on, or sign him to a less lucrative deal.

He also had off season surgery.  So waiting might be wise. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I happen to think he got a number of favorable matchups or he benefited from playing next to AVT

Wouldn’t Fant benefit even more from playing with an All Pro guard such as Tomlinson. It would make him even better LT 

19 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

The plan is to tag Fant after this year, trade him for picks, then move Becton to Left Tackle again in 2023.  We can easily draft or sign a starting Right Tackle next year

34 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

The plan is to tag Fant after this year, trade him for picks, then move Becton to Left Tackle again in 2023.  We can easily draft or sign a starting Right Tackle next year

And how do you know this plan?  

The franchise tag for an Offensive lineman is 16.6 Million.  Who is going to pay Fant that and surrender draft picks for the privilege of doing so?

If its easy to do what youre saying, why wouldnt the Jets sign a right tackle and trade Fant for picks now?  At least he is under contract for a reasonable amount this year.

• Upvote 2

On 7/18/2022 at 7:56 AM, Bowles Movement said:

And how do you know this plan?  

The franchise tag for an Offensive lineman is 16.6 Million.  Who is going to pay Fant that and surrender draft picks for the privilege of doing so?

If its easy to do what youre saying, why wouldnt the Jets sign a right tackle and trade Fant for picks now?  At least he is under contract for a reasonable amount this year.

If Fant is one of the best pass protecting LTs $16 million is reasonable 

and I forgot there had to be a memo signed by Woody to indicate what the jets were obviously going to do

1 hour ago, Dwight Englewood said:

If Fant is one of the best pass protecting LTs $16 million is reasonable 

and I forgot there had to be a memo signed by Woody to indicate what the jets were obviously going to do

16.6 million is the price of the average salary of the top 5 o linemen in the NFL and the salary for franchising.

If you think is among the top 5-10 o line men, then sure.  

Im not convinced that he is top 10 in NFL, are you?   But youd pay him now?

On 7/17/2022 at 11:51 AM, More Cowbell said:

Fant was a converted TE and, in regards to your point about favorable matchups, had a good game against the 9ers his last year in Seattle at LT where he shut Bosa down. He deserves more respect than you are giving him. He is definitely developing and is a starter in this league. I don’t know if he can repeat last year’s success but he is a tough dude and has done everything the team has asked him. I hope they extend him because I have zero faith in Mitchell replacing him next year. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Drums said:

Fant was a converted TE and, in regards to your point about favorable matchups, had a good game against the 9ers his last year in Seattle at LT where he shut Bosa down. He deserves more respect than you are giving him. He is definitely developing and is a starter in this league. I don’t know if he can repeat last year’s success but he is a tough dude and has done everything the team has asked him. I hope they extend him because I have zero faith in Mitchell replacing him next year. 

If Fant has a good season, nothing spectacular  but is a steady presence on the OL which is what I expect, would you pay him upwards of 20 million  a year, because I'm  pretty sure he is going to ask that. 

As far as his game against Bosa, Bosa had 6 tackles, 5 solo and 3 QB hits.that is far from shutting him down. 

8 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

If Fant has a good season, nothing spectacular  but is a steady presence on the OL which is what I expect, would you pay him upwards of 20 million  a year, because I'm  pretty sure he is going to ask that. 

As far as his game against Bosa, Bosa had 6 tackles, 5 solo and 3 QB hits.that is far from shutting him down. 

Of course not and I don't expect JD to overpay for him either but I'd like to see a fair deal for all. I think Berrios might be the first guy JD actually resigned so far and he did well with that (I was getting concerned he couldn't retain players). I trust JD in this case with Fant and do not foresee him getting anywhere near 20 mill from the Jets so not sure why that's even a question.

Also, if you go back and watch that game, instead of just looking at the stats, he switched sides. Fant did struggle with the power rusher he went up against a little bit though. Either way, I came away impressed (watched the coach's film when we signed him). 

26 minutes ago, Drums said:

Of course not and I don't expect JD to overpay for him either but I'd like to see a fair deal for all. I think Berrios might be the first guy JD actually resigned so far and he did well with that (I was getting concerned he couldn't retain players). I trust JD in this case with Fant and do not foresee him getting anywhere near 20 mill from the Jets so not sure why that's even a question.

Also, if you go back and watch that game, instead of just looking at the stats, he switched sides. Fant did struggle with the power rusher he went up against a little bit though. Either way, I came away impressed (watched the coach's film when we signed him). 

JFM

30 minutes ago, Drums said:

I think Fant is going to turn 30 this year. This next contract is likely his last and it will be his only shot for a big pay day. 20 million is what LT make if they are any good. I am really sure Fant will ask that and it is probably why he hasn't  been signed. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Knew Becton at RT could happen no matter how well he played, but didn't expect the team to announce it this quickly.

Right decision and one less narrative for the beat writers to beat do death.

Announcing him as left tackle makes me wonder if they already have the framework of an extension in place.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Knew Becton at RT could happen no matter how well he played, but didn't expect the team to announce it this quickly.

Kudos. I definitely did not expect this. It seems to be primarily based on the fact that Fant is just not good on the right side, while Becton can dominate there while he waits his turn on the left. Hopefully they both have great seasons. Either way, I still don’t expect the Jets to extend Fant, and I expect Becton on that side next season (or sooner). 

On 7/14/2022 at 5:20 PM, jetspenguin said:

It'd a done deal. Nobody wants to say it out loud officially for fear of putting a negative spin on the season. The cheeto chaser is moving to the right side.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

ummmm...............

On 7/15/2022 at 9:56 AM, Joe W. Namath said:

There is only one LT spot.  They need to get this line to gel with a new player in tomlinson, AVT moving to the right side etc.  Thy do not have time to be swapping back and forth at LT for a few weeks.  When the first snap is taken, Becton will be on the right side and he will stay there.  And if questions are asked, they are going to say, 'It just worked out that way and we decided to keep a good thing going."

They are not worried about the Becton camp as they havent had anything good to say about him anyway.

Smart guy