Jump to content

Rooks reporting on Tuesday...


Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Concern that Hall hasn't signed yet?  Or no biggy?

Not concerned.  As long as he's in shape.  Do we think this is another contract language situation with JD?

The Jets will have plenty of RBs to rotate in practices if Hall isn't here by then including a couple guys who rotated as starters last year so I'm not worried.  But obviously, the sooner he gets here the better.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Another thought.  There's no 5th year option on Hall since he wasn't taken in Round 1.  I wonder if JD is trying to get a longer term deal as RBs are often hard to sign to that second contract often because it will be their biggest payday of their lives.  As we know, most RBs play their first 3-4 years under a rookie deal and then try to cash in on a 5 or 6 year deal.  They're typically on the decline after 30 years old.  Just wondering if this might be playing into the calculus here.

  • Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Another thought.  There's no 5th year option on Hall since he wasn't taken in Round 1.  I wonder if JD is trying to get a longer term deal as RBs are often hard to sign to that second contract often because it will be their biggest payday of their lives.  As we know, most RBs play their first 3-4 years under a rookie deal and then try to cash in on a 5 or 6 year deal.  They're typically on the decline after 30 years old.  Just wondering if this might be playing into the calculus here.

I know with 1st rounders it’s against the rules to try to extend them early.   I’m guessing it’s the same for second rounders.  
 

this is probably another contract language holdout.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Houston fully guaranteed Pitre's 3rd year salary, which was unprecedented and is causing the problems with the nearby picks.

 

17 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

Elijah’s Moore’s contract is fully guaranteed through the 3rd year….so I’m not sure why this would be a hold up for Hall’s contract this year. 
 

 

 

 

Interesting.  It does sound like this could be the holdup (guaranteeing the 3rd year) but as you said other guys are getting this AND JD just did it last year for Moore who was a 2nd rounder, so maybe it's the offset language.  Who knows.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Easiest position for a rookie to step in.

Carter and  Tevin can take 3rd downs to protect ZW until Breece is ready.  He can play 1st and 2nd downs right away even if he misses a little camp

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pay the kid. Give the 3 years guaranteed plus 1st round money. They tried to trade up for him in Round 1 didn’t they? So just pay him late 1st round money and be done with it. It’s not like Woodrow doesn’t have the money. 

  • Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’m not sure this position you speak of exists in the Iowa offense.

Don't need em. 

Tight ends and RBs, plus a good defense is all you need and you can still win a Natty.

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It’s not a holdout unless he isn’t signed when camp begins. I’m sure the contract will get done.

I’m confident too.  
 

Within 2 weeks he will be there.   5 weeks max.     Unless it’s a little longer.

 

 

 

He will be fine and he needs to get his while he can.   The NFL is brutal to players. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You do know that's not how this works, right?
I believe you can fully guarantee the contract ... and you just know he's about to get abused for 4 years.... I agree ... give him everything he wants.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I believe you can fully guarantee the contract ... and you just know he's about to get abused for 4 years.... I agree ... give him everything he wants.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
 

Yeah, but you can't pay him 1st round money just because...the pay is slotted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

Concern that Hall hasn't signed yet?  Or no biggy?

Not the end of the world. Easiest position in the game to learn. Run through the correct hole, and don't get tackled. Occasionally run a wheel route, or a screen. Sometimes stay in and block. It'll be alright.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Alka said:

Hall is a second round pick with first round talent.  His contract will reflect the second round pick.  With Hall, I don't have a problem with the Jets guaranteeing his 3rd year.  Of course, if Hall has a career ending injury, then it doesn't look good, but I personally would like to see Hall get the guarantee.

It really doesnt have anything to do with Hall, his pedigree, etc. its simply dumb and it makes sense that the organization that caused all these issues is Houston which has no direction and is run by a complete moron. 

The teams all want to stick together on things like this because any change in precedent will be taken advantage of by the players/agents (as it should). Better to simply not create unnecessary problems for yourself and other teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Won't be long now before Becton's true essence is revealed. Wheb do vets report ?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk


 

A week later.  Tuesday the 26th.

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BCJet said:

It really doesnt have anything to do with Hall, his pedigree, etc. its simply dumb and it makes sense that the organization that caused all these issues is Houston which has no direction and is run by a complete moron. 

The teams all want to stick together on things like this because any change in precedent will be taken advantage of by the players/agents (as it should). Better to simply not create unnecessary problems for yourself and other teams.

I understand and agree with everything you said.  However. the toothpaste is out of the tube, and I like the idea of our second round pick getting guaranteed through year #3.  As a running back, his career can end tomorrow on an injury, and I would like to see the guy get taken care of.  I consider it fairness, and that is all it is.  

Yes, the thought of giving an inch and then taking a mile is something that happens with players and agents; I get it.  But I am with the players and agents on this one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...