RB Michael Carter Was Elated with the Jets Signing of Pro Bowl LG Laken Tomlinson

I really do like him.   I would expect to see a running back excited to see a pro bowl lineman signed to help him look good, but his reaction when they drafted Hall showed a great deal about his character.   Plus, he is right, 17 game season, plenty of touches for both of them, each could get 200 carries in a season, that is only an average of 12 carries a game per back.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

I bolded out what I thought was the most significant gem in the article.  The RB coach/room  watched (league wide? ) blocking tape all season and Lak stood out and boom JD signed Lak thereafter.   

A coach raves about a player and JD goes out and gets him.  

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If the potential of this group is realized, it will easily be the most prolific running game we’ve fielded.

There aren’t many weak spots in that list of names. I’m really into Zonovan Knight in our blocking scheme too.

I can see us flipping Ty, Tevin it Lamichael for draft capital. Can’t carry 6 into the season.

Well, at least since the 2004 Curtis-Jordan tandem went for 2,100 yards combined

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

If the potential of this group is realized, it will easily be the most prolific running game we’ve fielded.

I don't understand how a team supposedly built around running can have no placekicker and a terrible defense 

usually run first teams win by specials and defense. There's no plan to run when you're down 21 at halftime  

this whole "running game looking great" that's good news if they were trying to win games in 1965

this team will go as far as Zach's completion percentage takes them 

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

I don't understand how a team supposedly built around running can have no placekicker and a terrible defense 

usually run first teams win by specials and defense. There's no plan to run when you're down 21 at halftime  

this whole "running game looking great" that's good news if they were trying to win games in 1965

LB is the only weak group left on D.  

Yeah the kicker thing is weird.   This isn’t fantasy football.  You can’t grab a new one off the waiver wire every week lol 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, Hal N of Provo said:

LB is the only weak group left on D.  

Yeah the kicker thing is weird.   This isn’t fantasy football.  You can’t grab a new one off the waiver wire every week lol 

besides the terrible LB they look like the worst run stopping team in football, fwiw 

The D line is all geared toward pass rush, there's no heart in the middle of the defense 

the kickers were so bad in OTA that Connor said the  2022 starter probably isn't on the roster

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, bitonti said:

besides the terrible LB they look like the worst run stopping team in football, fwiw 

The D line is all geared toward pass rush, there's no heart in the middle of the defense 

the kickers were so bad in OTA that Connor said the  2022 starter probably isn't on the roster

The DLine schemed needs good LBs behind it if it’s going to work.  I think they upgraded CBs to get a safety in the box maybe?

Bad news about the kickers.   Bring back Amendola.  He was only missing the long stuff.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

that's what they say  - I guess we will see 

it's a long mental road to connect the drafting of Sauce to improvement of the run D

Sauce looks amazing in college but he’s going to get flagged for PI unless he breaks all his habits at once.   It’s going to be interesting.  

They gave themselves another off-season to complete their rebuild.  In their plan.   Hopefully there are only a few holes after this season.  

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Hal N of Provo said:

Sauce looks amazing in college but he’s going to get flagged for PI unless he breaks all his habits at once.   It’s going to be interesting.  

They gave themselves another off-season to complete their rebuild.  In their plan.   Hopefully there are only a few holes after this season.  

The NFL Can call or not call PI based on their whims. Same with holding. 

they don't make these calls in the playoffs - for example how Jalen Ramsey got pulled down by Tee Higgins (OPI) in the SB 

Sauce might get picked on depending on the crew but there's a real chance this player will be excellent right from the start

especially if refs "let them play" 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Yeah, I couldn’t help but notice that they didn’t do anything at all on defense this offseason. And kickers? Hell yeah! It is called football. Duh. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Like once every ten years we find a kicker then let them walk for a couple mill. Those cap rollover dollars, though.

Hungry The Office GIF

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

There aren’t many weak spots in that list of names. I’m really into Zonovan Knight in our blocking scheme too.

I can see us flipping Ty, Tevin it Lamichael for draft capital. Can’t carry 6 into the season.

Lol not happening. 

Here's whats going to happen-IMO. The Jets will carry 3 RBs and a FB/H-Back for a total of 4 on the 53 man roster. Two of them will definitely be Carter and Hall. Call whichever you want the starter. I think both will get a close to the same amount of snaps barring injury. Coleman will be the vet backup or #3 RB. He knows the system, he can block, he can catch, he is a true veteran, Saleh has familiarity with him, and he still has just enough gas in the tank that he can fill in if needed as a #3. We saw him have a couple of good games last year in a supporting role with limited snaps. 

This is a very solid, versatile trio behind the stout run blocking line I expect us to have. 

I think Knight will make PS and Ty, being no longer eligible (if I am not mistaken) will get cut. As will Perine because he has shown very little promise since he got drafted.     

With the low value of RBs these days none of these guys will be getting you anything in a trade. Not Ty, nor Coleman, nor Knight and certainly not Perine. Nothing, Nada, Zilch, Zippo. 

• Upvote 1

On a side note: 

JD going out and getting Lak after his CS raves about him further supports my (and others) pet theory that both Becton and Mims where in large part on Gase.  JD is the GM and ultimately responsible but it seems this is just how JD rolls 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

A thread about how good and exciting our young rb core is turns into a "this defense stinks and so do our kickers" thread.

The disease jet fans have is just awful.  

Nah, IMHO it's a legit tack.  If we're a run first team (big if IMHO) then a look at our kicker/defense is relevant.  However, me personally I don't thing our defense will stink.  

" worst run stopping team in football"

this will happen to any team always playing from behind and that has to deal with a lot of 3 and outs from offense.

Not that I think they were good...just sayin

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

On a side note: 

JD going out and getting Lak after his CS raves about him further supports my (and others) pet theory that both Becton and Mims where in large part on Gase.  JD is the GM and ultimately responsible but it seems this is just how JD rolls 

There is some level of coach input with every GM in the league. Some more than others I'm sure but even if the input is on the lower end of the scale the GM is still drafting for the current offensive and defensive systems in place. People acting like draft classes are purely the result of the GM and have nothing to do with the CS have their heads in the sand (to put it nicely).

It's one of the reasons I'm excited to see how the defense improves this year. We had been a 3-4 for so long and now have 2 full off-season's targeting the new system. There should be major improvement there this season.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

So the Jets aren’t going to be good because they can’t stop the run and also aren’t going to be good because they want to run the ball, themselves. Got it. 

• Haha 3

I mean, they DID draft two defensive players in the first round and sign a potential #1 CB in FA to address the defense. Like, give some credit where its due. JD addressed the defense. Did he go far enough? We shall see. I think there is a LB signing on the horizon to add to the depth. 

As far as kicker, sure I agree. But the Jets have a pretty darn consistent kicker in Eddy P.

Zuerlein is here for competition and because if his leg. I think Eddy ends up with the job if he can remain consistent like he did all of last year. 

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

Confused Little Girl GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

So the Jets aren’t going to be good because they can’t stop the run and also aren’t going to be good because they want to run the ball, themselves. Got it. 

No. They aren't going to be good because Zach wilson was overdrafted 

It's a passing league and they don't pass well enough. Making this strong run game is a ploy to protect Zach. Who isn't very good 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Drafting AVT and Michael Carter was big last year.

Signing Laken Tomlinson and drafting Breece Hall were really big this year.

But I think the single biggest asset to the running game this year will simply be that it's Year 2 in the system.  This wide/outside ZB scheme notoriously takes a while to install and get comfortable with.  It's based on timing, footwork, having OLinemen hit moving targets at the second level like linebackers, etc.  Mike Shanahan is the real architect of this thing in my opinion.  It turned Terrell Davis (a very good but not great RB IMO) into a 2,000 yard per season stud.  We saw the Broncos rotate no-name RBs thru their system for 4-5 years and all those guys were gaining 1,000 yards a season.  It's the system and I'm really excited to see how it looks in Year 2 here.  I think the 2023 season is where it could really flourish and give the Jets a Top 10 rushing attack in the NFL.

• Sympathy 2

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

It's a passing league and they don't pass well enough. Making this strong run game is a ploy to protect Zach. Who isn't very good 

Yeah, too bad we don't have a former Superbowl MVP QB ready for one more shot at glory. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bitonti said:

Well, at least the underlying agenda was flushed out. Man, you may be the most negative poster on this site. Congratulations.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, bitonti said:

Zach will have more opportunity to successfully make completions if the rushing game is consistently productive and can lower the pass rush threat to some degree.

And it has that level of potential.

There is nothing wrong with helping your your QB by taking some amount of pressure off and/or being able to earn yards on the ground as well as through the air.

• Upvote 1