What do you expect ?

I expect the Jets to win about 7 games.  If the ball bounces their way a few times, they could get to 9 wins and a shot at the playoffs.  

This is the last year of the rebuild.  Starting in 2023, we will be vying for the super bowl year in and year out for the next 15 years or so.

Enjoy the growth jet fans.  This is going to be one heck of a year watching these young pups blossom!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Zack has to take the leap to average or above average QB.  If he shows no progression,  The Jets will have to start the process all over again.  7 and 10 with competent QB play.   Then next year we can start talking playoffs.  Joe brought in some talent,  its all about Zack and Saleh,  to get this train moving in the right direction.

43 minutes ago, Lith said:

I look at everything we have done during the offseason and it seems like the franchise is moving in the right direction.  I wish I had more faith in the QB, but I do think we can have a strong, run first offense that does not put too much preessure on the QB.  The defense is going to have to be a lot better though for the team to make significant strides.  We were 3-2 last year when holding opponents to 24 or under.  1-13 otherwise.  

I am not sure what I expect other than improvement.  Meaningful games in December would be nice, but I can't say I expect it.  After the last 11 seasons, I need to see the Jets play consistently well before I will believe that they can play consistently well.

No more seasons that are over by Columbus Day, please.

I'm with you on that first sentence man.  Our total team is good,  maybe / maybe not great. Right now we're talking about onsie  / twosie  positions with potential to fail and needing correction. 

This is so much better than years past where we had crap rosters coupled with high dollar signings who didn't live up to thier billing and then we 1-upped that by hiring that crazy eyed Jax reject to claim or ring. 

My expectations may be fairly low this year (not to be confused with my high hopes) but my satisfaction as a jets fan is pretty high. 

• Sympathy 1

Somewhere in the 7-10 win range and hopefully playing meaningful December games with at least an outside shot at the wildcard. I want to see the Jets logo on the playoff "in the hunt" images. I suspect we'll have a more improved team than the record indicates giving us a nice platform to jump off for 2023. Defense should take the biggest step but the offense will also look much better in year 2. 

If Wilson makes a big year 2 jump we could be a dangerous team but I am not holding my breath on that.

20 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I expect the Jets to win about 7 games.  If the ball bounces their way a few times, they could get to 9 wins and a shot at the playoffs.  

This is the last year of the rebuild.  Starting in 2023, we will be vying for the super bowl year in and year out for the next 15 years or so.

Enjoy the growth jet fans.  This is going to be one heck of a year watching these young pups blossom!

I have seen so many guys like you lying broken on the side of the road on my journey as a Jets fan.

• Haha 1

Not so much an expectation but a guarantee.

If Wilson plays well and with consistency, I guarantee 8 to 10 wins.

If Wilson turns out to be another "also-ran" Jets QB, I guarantee no more than 4 wins.

Book it. 

This season is all about Wilson.   There are some missing spots on the defensive roster and Becton is a question mark, but for the most part, everything else is in place.

2022 = wilson, Wilson, WILSON

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, THE BARON said:

Not so much an expectation but a guarantee.

If Wilson plays well and with consistency, I guarantee 8 to 10 wins.

If Wilson turns out to be another "also-ran" Jets QB, I guarantee no more than 4 wins.

Book it. 

This season is all about Wilson.   There are some missing spots on the defensive roster and Becton is a question mark, but for the most part, everything else is in place.

2022 = wilson, Wilson, WILSON

Laken Tomlinson, Breece Hall, Uzomah, Conklin & Ruckert additions tells me we're at least prepared to lean more heavily on the run game in 2022. Wilson can be minimized in the offense ala Sanchez if necessary.

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Laken Tomlinson, Breece Hall, Uzomah, Conklin & Ruckert additions tells me we're at least prepared to lean more heavily on the run game in 2022. Wilson can be minimized in the offense ala Sanchez if necessary.

If this was 1969 to 1989 or if the Jets had their 2009/2010 defense, I'd agree.  That aside, in 2022, there is no such thing as minimizing the QB.  If you don't have a quality QB, you are not going to be competitive. 

• WTF? 1

To be honest I expect Saleh, Ulbrich and LaFleur to start the season really stubborn until we are once again in a big hole.

LaFleur is going to force the run and we will once again as Jets fans have to suffer through run run 3rd and long early in games.

The Saleh/Ulbrich defense will once again play soft and our DL and LB corps are well below average so even with the upgraded secondary our defense will suck. Somewhere around the time we are 1 and 4 or 5 they will wake up and be a little more creative and play like a modern football team.

Run run pass does not work in the NFL but we are going to see a ton of it. I have not liked what I have heard from our coaching staff lately.

Being in the second year will be a big advantage over last season. Jets still brought in new veteran starters at LG, TE, CB, and S, and likely rookie starters at CB and RB, with the WR, TE, and Edge(s) seeing the field a lot. A lot to incorporate in today’s abbreviated training camps. Could, unfortunately, be another slow start as the team gets on the same page. This is why I was happy to open against the AFCn; hopefully they can get the bugs out before they play their first divisional games. The talent’s undeniably improved, they just need to play together. 

My opinion is that the staff was in teaching mode essentially all of last season in their first year with an extremely young team. Basically a 20 game exhibition. This year, they really need to focus on actually winning football games. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

To be honest I expect Saleh, Ulbrich and LaFleur to start the season really stubborn until we are once again in a big hole.

LaFleur is going to force the run and we will once again as Jets fans have to suffer through run run 3rd and long early in games.

The Saleh/Ulbrich defense will once again play soft and our DL and LB corps are well below average so even with the upgraded secondary our defense will suck. Somewhere around the time we are 1 and 4 or 5 they will wake up and be a little more creative and play like a modern football team.

Run run pass does not work in the NFL but we are going to see a ton of it. I have not liked what I have heard from our coaching staff lately.

That's certainly a viable outcome for the jets. 

Disagree on run run pass in the NFL though. Pretty sure you will see Pitt get to the playoffs doing just that. Pretty sure you will see the Ravens in the playoffs same way (regardless of its Lamar or dobbins ruining it) 

Difference is our D is not expected to be a good as Pitt or Baltimore. 

Just now, PorP said:

That's certainly a viable outcome for the jets. 

Disagree on run run pass in the NFL though. Pretty sure you will see Pitt get to the playoffs doing just that. Pretty sure you will see the Ravens in the playoffs same way (regardless of its Lamar or dobbins ruining it) 

Difference is our D is not expected to be a good as Pitt or Baltimore. 

But you are actually agreeing with me. Run run pass can work with a great OL, RB and especially a great defense. It only works with a lead and then allowing the other team to make mistakes. It is not really viable in the modern NFL unless you have all those elements. Run run pass is a recipe for utter disaster when behind or in the beginning of games. As it is triply worse with a young QB that has not of yet show he can exploit 8 in the box. We are better at QB, I think Zach will develop but our defense is still bottom 10

6 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

But you are actually agreeing with me. Run run pass can work with a great OL, RB and especially a great defense. It only works with a lead and then allowing the other team to make mistakes. It is not really viable in the modern NFL unless you have all those elements. Run run pass is a recipe for utter disaster when behind or in the beginning of games. As it is triply worse with a young QB that has not of yet show he can exploit 8 in the box. We are better at QB, I think Zach will develop but our defense is still bottom 10

I guess maybe I am? Definitely agree with what you're saying in this post. 

I just didn't see the same in the other post and why I quoted it. 

12 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Jets are going to run the football a lot, but LaFluer isn’t going to give up being creative in the process. They will not be some run-run-pass, three yards and a cloud of dust offense. 

5 minutes ago, slats said:

My opinion is that the staff was in teaching mode essentially all of last season in their first year with an extremely young team. Basically a 20 game exhibition. This year, they really need to focus on actually winning football games. 

I think that is pretty much true.

I don't know what to expect.  I am optimistic.  Jets have a lot of potential.  The roster is greatly improved.  But potential isn't performance.  With all the roster changes, it will take time to get the players to gel.  Becton (unfortunately) is critical.  If he plays to potential (that word again), the Jets OL is in the top third.  That makes everything else on the O go.  But who is Becton--I have no idea.  Jets execs/coaches must be pulling their hair out.  And of course, the jury is still out on Zac.  Again, I'm optimistic but...  He can clearly throw the ball.  Can he read defenses?  Can he manage the short passing game the O requires?  More of that potential...

The D looks significantly better.  Progress for them is a safer prediction.  They were badly hurt by Lawson's injury.  But they ought to be a middle of the pack D this year even with a couple of injury setbacks.

I am also in the 7-9 win range.  If everything goes right, they are in the playoff hunt at the end of the season.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

I expect my menopause to kick in around game 3 with fits of crying and rage followed a denial period starting around game 7 and then finish off the season by doing 100000 mock drafts in a futility of hope.

Silver lining...

With how strong our schedule is. If we flame out we're all but guaranteed  the #1 pick......

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, PorP said:

Silver lining...

With how strong our schedule is. If we flame out we're all but guaranteed  the #1 pick......

If we get the #1 pick it means Zach bombed and Saleh sucks. I really don't want yet another coach gm and rookie QB which is what would happen.

11 hours ago, Green Truth said:

Zack has to take the leap to average or above average QB.  If he shows no progression,  The Jets will have to start the process all over again.  7 and 10 with competent QB play.   Then next year we can start talking playoffs.  Joe brought in some talent,  its all about Zack and Saleh,  to get this train moving in the right direction.

The balls on these guys. J ET S

Jets Jets Jets

If we get the #1 pick it means Zach bombed and Saleh sucks. I really don't want yet another coach gm and rookie QB which is what would happen.
This ... I want zach to improve .... and this is a prime reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The biggest challenge this season will be the growth of LeFluer as our playcaller. I think he struggled early last season, not knowing what play to call, or put another way, never knowing how our team would respond to the play call. Will our oline hold up? Will WR run the perfect rout? Will Zack see him, get him the ball? What plays ended up working, and what plays always seemed to break down for a hundred different reasons.

Towards the end of the season he seemed to be getting better at play calling, including those trick plays, end arounds, flee flickers, etc. Our team really responded well to those plays.

Now fast forward to this season...lots of new parts on the offense. Garrett Wilson running routs, Breece hall feeling his way on a real NFL field, and get this, TIGHT ENDS!!! to include in the game plan.

But all of this has to come together with LeFluer's play calling. He has to learn quick where Zack is on his development....what Breece can do on certain formations, how our TEs click.

I think LeFluer is young and smart and has used the offseason to start planning ahead based on what he learned is our strengths (and weaknesses) from his first season. I think he'll get his new offense well prepared and will call just the right mix of plays to get our O going and stay strong all season.

What do you expect ?
I expect material improvement.
I expect a team performing and producing to something akin to an average level in many areas.
I expect us NOT to have the worst starting QB in the NFL, but a QB ranked/rated closer to middle of the pack (15-16th).
I expect us NOT to have the worst Defense in Franchise history, but a Defense ranked closer to the middle of the pack.
I expect, as always, to hear an endless litany of excuses from this forum for why my expectations are simply unfair, arbitrary, veritably impossibru, and how we need to be patient, because it's only year 4 of the JD rebuild, and we can't really expect to be even close to average till at least year 5 (or 6, or 7, it'll change as each year passes...).

Completely Reasonable037394a033c36fb38b0bcc0921a0d939.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I expect playoff-caliber football. And everything that entails.

I expect fundamentally-sound football. I want the Jets not to do things that cause you to lose, paraphrasing Parcells: minimal penalties especially killer penalties, limit turnovers offensively, cause turnovers defensively, no bonehead plays, etc.

I want them to run Breece Hall, Michael Carter & the RBs in to the proverbial ground.

I expect Saleh to grab his defense & Ulbrich defense by the horns. Do everything possible to ensure his defense is designed & executed as if he was DC. If Ulbrich isn't up to it, then Saleh does it himself until he decides what direction to go. Including being a czar-type with a nominal DC or group of defensive assistants a la Belicheat. I want Saleh's defense to properly defend the screen-pass game.

I expect Saleh and his team to have a playoff, do-or-die mindset. Every snap every game, whistle to whistle. Football isn't like other sports where a few bad games ain't the end of the world. Each game in football critical and should be treated as such. Approach each game like it's the playoffs, expend all your ammo.

7-10 win season...6 or less is very disappointing.  

This OL is a healthy Becton away from being close...if not...a top 10 one.  IMO if JD wasn't confident of this...he would've used at least the early part of the draft on a OT.  Instead he went WR Wilson and moved up to get my guy Breece in round 2.  So...with a solid OL...this Jets offense is formidable and can be outright scary. 

Getting two way TEs like Uzomah and Conklin will allow Jets to run 12 personnel sets and utilize the Hall-Carter tandem and ram the rock down AFCE opponents throats.  Nothing like a strong run attack to help equalize a team's chances of competing for the win...against superior and/or more experienced teams.   And Jets have the WR talent in Moore-Davis-Wilson to make big plays off of play action.  And ZW has the arm talent to implement it...and sling it all over the field.

DL and CB looks much improved.   This should result in the pass rush and coverage to be effectively in sync this year.  Strip sacks...pick6-INTs gonna happen this year.

Jets DL is just a healthy Carl Lawson away from being formidable and scary in its own right too.  Along with Lawson returning from injury is Vinny Curry and Bryce Huff.  Love the FA addition Jacob Martin.  He's the 26th fastest off the LOS among pass rushers.  He will eat in Saleh's pass rush rotation.  Jets fans have a right to be excited with the move up to take JJ with 26th pick.  IMO it was Jermaine's age (23+) not his talent...that made teams pass on him.  Age b4 beauty baby...he'll set the edge and get his share of sacks too.  Seeing Michael Clemons violent play over next 4 years makes this a possible 4th round steal.  Q and JFM should be a menace in middle of D pass rush...with the talent around them.  No excuses for Q not making a PB this year.

Now that Jets added DJ Reed and some Sauce...the solid Bryce Hall goes from Jets #1 corner to #3 on the depth chart.  Echols showed potential too.  So with Michael Carter set in the slot.  This is a group that can hold their own and make plays.  

What will prevent the Jets from having a season that competes for a playoff spot in late December?

Zach Wilson's disappointing play.  He has to step up and play well.  He has the arm talent and mobility to do so.  And JD has surrounded him with protection and weapons to allow him to succeed.  IMO...he will.

An overweight Becton can't hold up and play his position.  If JD-Saleh thought this would be the case...Jets would've been way more proactive in FA-draft, in adding a quality starting OT.  And with all those assets they had...at least through the early part of the draft...get one as insurance.  But they didn't.  Yes...I do have confidence in their decision making ability.  So we'll see what happens.  

The lack of depth and talent at the LB and Safety positions. 

JD didn't utilize FA-draft to upgrade at LB.  Perhaps Saleh-Ulbrich will be mostly in 4-2-5 alignments.  And Feel confident that Quincey Williams in his 2nd year in the system, will step up and be more consistent starting with CJ.  Question is...will Sherwood and Nasirildeen step up in their 2nd year and be at least adequate depth pieces?  We'll find out.

I like the addition of Jordan Whitehead at safety.  But he's the only meaningful addition to this group.  Jets did resign Lamarcus Joyner.  They can be a decent enough starting caliber safety tandem.  But the depth pieces like Ashtyn Davis, Pinnock and Riley...are more a mystery then a solid knowable group to rely on.  Again...we'll see.

At this time of year as we enter TC-preseason...I'm leaning more optimistically towards 8-10 Ws.  Hopefully Jets get through this process and enter the season healthy and ready for take off.  With ZW ready to secure himself as FQB NYJ.  Which I'm confident he will.

We'll see what happens...

Can't wait!