Back Up QB

Safe to assume that Zach has zero chance of not starting and the same for a QB competition in camp. Being the former  #2 over all pick would lead me to believe that Zach is going to get every benefit of the doubt and rightfully so. Zach's second half of his rookie season solidified a return to the starting role with no debate. In my opinion Joe Flacco is the perfect back up. His role as back up, veteran QB with Super Bowl MVP experience and at the very end of his career turned out great even though we took a round about way of getting him (trading for him when we could have just signed him the off season before). I loved (and was surprised) that I even saw Flacco with Zack in Idaho, it spoke volume of the quality back up mentor that is his role.

This brings me to my questioning Mike White's role on this team. I just cant understand it. He came in and had the game of his life against Cinci, looked pretty good on one drive before he got hurt against Indy,  looked god awful against the Bills and then Flacco started against Miami and looked decent to good. 

If Zach is your definite starter and his status as the #2 over all pick will provide him the luxury of getting every benefit of the doubt why would you have a mid round pick back up who is still young enough to have aspirations of starting in the NFL? Just has uneccessary potential to become exaggerated by the media, 

I am equally surprised that Josh Johnson was let go. So much professional experience and played well when called upon. Josh Johnson and Joe Flacco showed enough for me to have both as back ups. Two players that are productive but little to no threat of taking Zach's starting role long term. 

With Zach starting role solidified as starter, Flacco as a perfect veteran to back him up,  I really dont understand why the Jets would want Mike White on the roster. 

If Mike White is a threat to your team’s cohesion, you do not have a FQB.

I mean the Jets sandbagged the QB room last year behind the starter to preserve his confidence or whatever with a guy with zero NFL snaps and another with a 1-8 record as a starter. And even those guys BOTH outperformed the starter. 

I guess we need to find backups who don’t even have any organized football experience this time.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3
  • WTF? 1

11 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Safe to assume that Zach has zero chance of not starting and the same for a QB competition in camp. Being the former  #2 over all pick would lead me to believe that Zach is going to get every benefit of the doubt and rightfully so.

captain obvious hotels.com GIFLucas Till Riley GIF by CBS

13 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

If Zach is your definite starter and his status as the #2 over all pick will provide him the luxury of getting every benefit of the doubt why would you have a mid round pick back up who is still young enough to have aspirations of starting in the NFL? Wouldnt this have the potential to cause a riff dividing the  lockeroom if Zach gets off to a slow start?

I Hate It Reaction GIF by LaffIts Time To People GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, jgb said:

I mean the Jets sandbagged the QB room last year behind the starter to preserve his confidence or whatever with a guy with NFL snaps and another with a 1-8 record as a starter. And even those guys BOTH outperformed the starter. 

I guess we need to find backups who don’t even have any organized football experience this time.

I agree with this, and it is one thing that gives me some hope.  When the Jets brought Tebow in I thought it was a problem because I figured the fans would give Sanchez a hard time, not the locker room.  Despite White looking better than Wilson, I do not recall anybody complaining when Zach got his job back.  When Uzomah came in, he said how excited he was to be working with Zach.  I am hoping that means we won't be expecting a Mason/Burress/Holmes style coup d'etat. 

FWIW, I think these guys were willing to roll with  Beathard and Hoyer their first year in SF and then after adding Jimmy G, they went with Beathard and Mullens.  I guess with Jimmy G the backup didn't have to compete for the starters reps, but you knew the guy was going to get hurt.  They don't seem concerned with vets or name recognition.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

8 minutes ago, jgb said:

I mean the Jets sandbagged the QB room last year behind the starter to preserve his confidence or whatever with a guy with zero NFL snaps and another with a 1-8 record as a starter. And even those guys BOTH outperformed the starter. 

This has zero to do with Mike White being a threat to Zach's starting role as it does Mike White not fitting well on this team (what I mentioned in the earlier post)  and the ridiculous media that players must overcome to be successful in NY. I feel that being a QB in the NY media spotlight is a much different animal. They often make up ridiculous storylines that become problemsome for players (see Mims, Becton, Tiki Barber's take that Zach is not serious because he went to a Yankee game). I also happen to think that a team with Josh Johnson and Flacco as back up 2a/2b is better than one with Mike White who aside from playing the game of his life against Cinci doesnt seem to fit where this team is heading 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

This has zero to do with Mike White being a threat to Zach's starting role as it does Mike White not fitting well on this team (what I mentioned in the earlier post)  and the ridiculous media that players must overcome to be successful in NY. I feel that being a QB in the NY media spotlight is a much different animal. They often make up ridiculous storylines that become problemsome for players (see Mims, Becton, Tiki Barber's take that Zach is not serious because he went to a Yankee game). I also happen to think that a team with Josh Johnson and Flacco as back up 2a/2b is better than one with Mike White who aside from playing the game of his life against Cinci doesnt seem to fit where this team is heading 

I don’t see the difference. If Mike White is too accomplished to backup without causing a media controversy, maybe you want the job? Mike White was bargain-bin, barely clinging to the league. You can’t find a backup that threatens a starter less. So now that he made a little name for himself, uh oh, not a fit anymore! Bring in another dumpster find and hope he bombs if he has to go in so we avoid the media from speculatin’. I’m sorry but I say build the best roster you can. If our QB wants to stop media agitating for him to be benched — all he has to do is play out. If he doesn’t, why do we care about his confidence anyway?

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, jgb said:

I don’t see the difference. If Mike White is too accomplished to backup without causing a media controversy, maybe you want the job? Mike White was bargain-bin, barely clinging to the league. You can’t find a backup that threatens a starter less. So now that he made a little name for himself, uh oh, not a fit anymore! Bring in another dumpster find and hope he bombs if he has to go in so we avoid the media from speculatin’. I’m sorry but I say build the best roster you can. Feelings be damned.

I see your point but I dont think my angle is Zach's feelings as opposed to Mike White's talent (lack of), what he brings to the team,  and his resume compared to Josh Johnson. Josh Johnson is a better QB, has tons of professional experience in the NFL and more which supports the player who we all want to succeed in Zach. I just dont see what Mike White brings to the team that Josh Johnson doesnt. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

I see your point but I dont think my angle is Zach's feelings as opposed to Mike White's talent (lack of), what he brings to the team,  and his resume compared to Josh Johnson. Josh Johnson is a better QB, has tons of professional experience in the NFL and more which supports the player who we all want to succeed in Zach. I just dont see what Mike White brings to the team that Josh Johnson doesnt. 

Mike White is 9 years younger and has a modicum of hypothetical upside. He’s a fine developmental QB3.

• Upvote 1

Lets see, Mike White can win you a game and Joe Flacco can;t at all, therefore Joe is a better back up because he does not threaten Zac Wilson.  lol

Flaaco stinks is just cashing cheques and should be no where near this team.

White should be the backup, Flacco at best should be #3,  Josh freaking Johnson was a better back up than Flacco.

In reality we should have an actual decent player to be a backup, ala trubisky, dalton, foles before he dropped off the earth, mariotta.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 3

Most teams only carry two QB's. Having two plus 35 year old backups {Flacco and Johnson} would be silly. The only reason Mike White will be on the team is if the Jets see him as a viable long term backup. If they don't he probably won't make the team. That extra roster spot will be used elsewhere

• Upvote 1

Different teams, depending on where they are, need different things from the BU.

Green Bay needed an heir apparent for Rogers, who was feigning retirement. In comes Jordan Love to develop and take the reins. Same with Garapolo in NE when Brady appeared to be teetering on the edge. 

On the other end is the NY Jets, with a Rookie +1 under center. Very raw, very young. Where GB and NE needed a young up and coming arm to take over, the Jets need a wise sage to whisper into Zack's ear, especially when things are down.

After those 2 scenarios are teams that just need a good/decent BU to come in and win a game or two to keep them in the PO hunt. Teams like the Bills or Chefs that don't wanna lose a season if their main guy goes down for a few games.

So for me, Josh Johnson or Flacco are the perfect BU. More of a QB Coach than anything. Whichever one is more open to helping Zack develop. Not just on Sundays, but during the week, watching film together, working out together. If our BU can help ZW take that next big step, then that's pure gold. Far more valuable than coming in and winning a worthless game at the end of the season while the young QB starter struggles in silence. Seeing Flacco join Zack at his summer camp speaks volumes. Don't underestimate it.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Lets see, Mike White can win you a game and Joe Flacco can;t at all, therefore Joe is a better back up because he does not threaten Zac Wilson.  lol

White should be the backup, Flacco at best should be #3,  Josh freaking Johnson was a better back up than Flacco.

In reality we should have an actual decent player to be a backup, ala trubisky, dalton, foles before he dropped off the earth, mariotta.

Disagree on Flacco.  He's looked better than our starting QB every time he's played for us, almost won a game or two Sam's last year.  I think he's an excellent vet backup and don't think he's just interested in cashing checks, but actually loves being around football. He comes across as aloof but he always has.

White had a spark of Linsanity for that one game.  We'll see if he can stick as a long-term backup.  But I do wonder if the Jets are going to choose to protect his roster spot this year.  Keeping 3 QB's doesn't make a lot of sense considering the crowded DL and WR rooms.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I agree with this, and it is one thing that gives me some hope.  When the Jets brought Tebow in I thought it was a problem because I figured the fans would give Sanchez a hard time, not the locker room.  Despite White looking better than Wilson, I do not recall anybody complaining when Zach got his job back.  When Uzomah came in, he said how excited he was to be working with Zach.  I am hoping that means we won't be expecting a Mason/Burress/Holmes style coup d'etat. 

FWIW, I think these guys were willing to roll with  Beathard and Hoyer their first year in SF and then after adding Jimmy G, they went with Beathard and Mullens.  I guess with Jimmy G the backup didn't have to compete for the starters reps, but you knew the guy was going to get hurt.  They don't seem concerned with vets or name recognition.

Mike White did NOT look better than Zach. He had one game against a zombified Cincinatti team that made no adjustments on defense and allowed White to dink himself to 400 yards, and a good drive until he got hurt against Detroit. Outside of that he was really bad and a turnover machine.. Even in his one good game he threw 2 picks. If White was any good he would have been signed away with the low original draft pick tender we gave him. I actually like Mike White but he is not a starting caliber QB

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This take has me even more confused as to who our back up should be. Not sure how confident I am with "Mike White can win you a game." He looked so awful against the Bills, so great against the Begals and nothing else to reference.  I thought in the limited time that Flacco played (Miami) he did well, no? I can see your point that we should have a better back up considering most QBs dont make it through the season. 

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

44 minutes ago, NamathToSauer said:

Most teams only carry two QB's. Having two plus 35 year old backups {Flacco and Johnson} would be silly. The only reason Mike White will be on the team is if the Jets see him as a viable long term backup. If they don't he probably won't make the team. That extra roster spot will be used elsewhere

I see your point. I may be overcompensating supporting Zach in every way considering how giant a fail we were with Geno, Mark, and Sam

Flacco is here to be the veteran presence in the QB room and on the sidelines.

I don't believe the #2 spot is set in stone.  If Mike White has a terrific training camp and preseason, he can certainly be named the backup QB.  The chances are slim in my opinion, but it's not completely out of the question.

1 hour ago, Copernicus said:

Safe to assume that Zach has zero chance of not starting and the same for a QB competition in camp.

Safe to say, yes.

Being the former  #2 over all pick would lead me to believe that Zach is going to get every benefit of the doubt and rightfully so.

Safe to say, yes.

In my opinion Joe Flacco is the perfect back up. His role as back up, veteran QB with Super Bowl MVP experience and at the very end of his career turned out great even though we took a round about way of getting him (trading for him when we could have just signed him the off season before). I loved (and was surprised) that I even saw Flacco with Zack in Idaho, it spoke volume of the quality back up mentor that is his role.

If you want him to 'mentor' Zach and hold a clipboard and lose any and every game he plays in, then yes, he's "perfect" for that role.

This brings me to my questioning Mike White's role on this team. I just cant understand it. He came in and had the game of his life against Cinci, looked pretty good on one drive before he got hurt against Indy,  looked god awful against the Bills and then Flacco started against Miami and looked decent to good.

His role is "Third String QB".  Many teams have one.  

As a reminder, Zach was the worst starting QB in the NFL last year.  And he missed several games due to injury. 

He's about as risky as a #1 QB can get as of right now.

Thus, having some level of positional depth behind him is quite logical.  Again, most teams roster 3 QB's.

Even if Flacco gets the nod if Zach got hurt again, you still need a backup for Flacco, preferably one that knows and has experience in your system.  That is the role of third string QB.  Generally a developmental player who backs up the backup.

If Zach is your definite starter and his status as the #2 over all pick will provide him the luxury of getting every benefit of the doubt why would you have a mid round pick back up who is still young enough to have aspirations of starting in the NFL? Just has uneccessary potential to become exaggerated by the media,

"The media" is not a reason for JD to do anything.  He'd be a poor GM if he caved to the pathetic NY sport media.

I am equally surprised that Josh Johnson was let go. So much professional experience and played well when called upon. Josh Johnson and Joe Flacco showed enough for me to have both as back ups. Two players that are productive but little to no threat of taking Zach's starting role long term. 

With Zach starting role solidified as starter, Flacco as a perfect veteran to back him up,  I really dont understand why the Jets would want Mike White on the roster. 

Why does any team have a Third String QB? 

Why are most of those third string QB's either mid-round picks or UDFA's? 

What makes the Jets different in this regard than any of the other teams with third string QB's?

And why do you care?  Is there some other use of that roster spot you think we're desperate to do instead?  Is there some other #3 QB available you want more, and if so, why?

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike White is the 3rd string qb.  If any team thought he was any good he could have been had for a 5th round pick this offseason.

The Jets are about to start the most exciting season in 10 plus years.  Leave it to Jets fans to try and drum up some qb controversy.

The disease.......................

White is the best qb on the roster.  Who cares if idiot GMs think trash like Justin Fields and Marcus Mariota are better

1 hour ago, NamathToSauer said:

I agree that most teams only carry two QBs, and I’d put White at about 50-50 to make the team. Jets gave him the RFA tender of $2.5M, but it’s not guaranteed. We have a couple people who like to grumble about mentors, but having Joe Flacco in the room with Zach is infinitely more valuable than having Mike White to bounce things off. Job #1 is still developing Zach. 

Also see no use for Mike White as a long term backup. If Zach struggles again this season, and they don’t opt to move on, they’ll need to bring in a much better QB than White to push and/or take over from Zach next year. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

You’re scared of Zach sh*tting the bed and subsequent calls for White to start. This “he doesn’t fit” is a ridiculous argument. He’s young and has more value to the team than Flacco or Josh Johnson.  

It's funny because he's also suited to this Offensive system talent-wise.  People are critical of White for being "dink and dunk", but a potentially high completion percentage, potentially accurate QB is what this system needs more than the 2nd coming of the Mad Bomber Lamonica, lol.

This system needs a guy who is going to go for 65%+, throwing quick hitters to 6-8 different receivers a game, and spreading the ball around accurately, with at least some ability to go mid-to-deep once in a while to keep the D honest. 

And minimize turnovers (White's big weakness and flaw in his time so far).

A Pennington-like Mike White, with a much improved line and running game, is a guy I'd take as a backup for now.  Certainly over yet another ancient veteran "mentor" type who is clearly in the check-cashing stage of his career.

It's just funny how terrified of White many Zach fans are.  Shows they really do lack any true faith in Zach how desperate they are to shake loose even an insignificant threat to Zach like White, because of lame reasons like "the media", as if the media will ever say Mike White's name again if Zach plays well, lol.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jgb said:

Yeah,  it's a great idea to bench your franchise qb for a journeyman who no one wanted this off-season for a 5th round pick.

• Haha 1

We don't know what White's role will be and there may not be a fully formed plan in the front office, either. Douglas might be gun shy about moving forward with two QBs and have to overpay for a second backup midseason like he did last year. He might wait and see if anybody comes calling for White or Flacco) and trade him away before or during this season. White might be destined for the practice squad without much concern about another team picking him up. 

As much as Flacco is a suitable backup you never really know how long he's going to want to play backup or how long he's going to hold up physically. He might have five more years in him or decide he's done after this year. I have no problem with Flacco as a backup but if I sat in Douglas's chair I'm not sure how confident I would be not having a plan for a backup to the backup. 

Just now, Warfish said:

It's funny because he's also suited to this Offensive system talent-wise.  People are critical of White for being "dink and dunk", but a potentially high completion percentage, potentially accurate QB is what this system needs more than the 2nd coming of the Mad Bomber Lamonica, lol.

This system needs a guy who is going to go for 65%+, throwing quick hitters to 6-8 different receivers a game, and spreading the ball around accurately, with at least some ability to go mid-to-deep once in a while to keep the D honest. 

A Pennington-like Mike White, with a much improved line and running game, is a guy I'd take as a backup for now.  

If Mike White was anything like Pennington a team would have scooped him up for 5th round pick this off-season.  Granted Vinny from Yonkers usually knows better than 32 NFL GMs so....

50 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Mike White did NOT look better than Zach. He had one game against a zombified Cincinatti team that made no adjustments on defense and allowed White to dink himself to 400 yards, and a good drive until he got hurt against Detroit. Outside of that he was really bad and a turnover machine.. Even in his one good game he threw 2 picks. If White was any good he would have been signed away with the low original draft pick tender we gave him. I actually like Mike White but he is not a starting caliber QB

Strange that you harp on that one point, but agree to disagree.  White looked horrible against the Pats and Bills.  How did Wilson look when he played them?  In his first game against the Pats Wilson had 4 INTs and a 37 passer rating.   In the second he was doing okay at 6 of 10 for 50 yards for a 73 rating when he was cheap shotted out of the game.  White took over and threw for 200 yards 1/2 and a 64 passer rating.  White was terrible against the Bills 24/44 251 and 0/4 (33 rating), but was Wilson any better?  He went 7/20 87 yards 1/0.  That is a 66 rating, but he threw for 89 yards! In a complete game!    

Meanwhile, White's good games were against the Bengals and Colts (not Lions).  Two solid teams with decent defenses.  White threw for a higher completion percentage and considerably more yards per game.  His TD and INT percentage were both higher, but playing the Bills in more than 1/4 of his games will do that.  The teams White played against had a combined record of 40-28.  Three made the playoffs.  He didn't get games against the Jaguars, Texans or Falcons.  I am not saying that White should be the starter, but he sure looked better in 2021. I get Wilson is young and his ceiling is super high, and I don't pretend that any of this means White is the better prospect or should start, but it does not change what happened last season. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A Pennington-like Mike White, with a much improved line and running game, is a guy I'd take as a backup for now.  

I'm sure dink / dunk with be a part of the game along with run.  But you dont invest a bunch in sub 4.4 guys to blow the tops off D's just to throw 6 yarders all the time. 

Or current team is not as good as what Pennington had and still Pennington got us no where near a ring.... Sanchez got closer than Pennington. 

I feel like if Zach is a failure that doesn't make Mike the answer. 

Who knows though. Maybe you're right?  We got to see tyreek with a slinger taking tops off. Guess we'll see how that works with Tua.

Maybe that will prove you right? 

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mike White is the 3rd string qb.  If any team thought he was any good he could have been had for a 5th round pick this offseason.

The Jets are about to start the most exciting season in 10 plus years.  Leave it to Jets fans to try and drum up some qb controversy.

The disease.......................

Agreed which means Zach looked like a 4th stringer last year hence the concern 

5 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Agreed which means Zach looked like a 4th stringer last year hence the concern 

Im sure with the additions on offense and the non-coital off-season work he put in he will look like a viable back up this year. Pity we dropped a second overall on him, but I guess that’s ok when you got a former Super Bowl MVP on your roster.  

• Haha 1