Sean Payton wants to coach the Jets?

1 minute ago, maury77 said:

Just when I thought this place could not suprise me anymore, we have people advocating keeping Saleh (he of the 4-13 record) over hiring Payton. Keep on trucking guys. 

Well at least your love up to the screen name

The Rock Reaction GIF by WWE

• WTF? 1

5 hours ago, The Crusher said:

To be fair San Diego gave Breeze the boot, still way better than Zach, but not the Breeze who dominated in New Orleans. 

San Diego offered Brees starter money to remain even after they traded for Philip Rivers.

7 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Who do you think they should have added? I'd argue the experience for the young players + cap savings is more important for last season. 

I didnt say I think they should have added anyone.  Simply provided a fact that It was well reported last year there were a few free agents CBs available and Saleh commented on it saying something like he was in no rush wanted to see the younger guys play....

nobody gives a flying **** why they sucked so we can come up with as many excuses as we like but at the end of the day - they were steering the ship that sank, they made choices/decisions and the results are what they are....

not to say i dont have hope for this season...but they are on short lease with me because I think they were in over their head in season 1 at least for 3/4 of the season.  I think they would even admit to that.  Hell they were saying it weekly in press conferences.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

I didnt say I think they should have added anyone.  Simply provided a fact that It was well reported last year there were a few free agents CBs available and Saleh commented on it saying something like he was in no rush wanted to see the younger guys play....

nobody gives a flying **** why they sucked so we can come up with as many excuses as we like but at the end of the day - they were steering the ship that sank, they made choices/decisions and the results are what they are....

not to say i dont have hope for this season...but they are on short lease with me because I think they were in over their head in season 1 at least for 3/4 of the season.  I think they would even admit to that.  Hell they were saying it weekly in press conferences.

Idk, Saleh was missing 2 $15m a year players due to our dead cap from players he had no part of. Not to mention the crippling amount of injuries. I get fans are upset, we need to see improvement this year for sure. I just think there is more than just "he was the coach and everything is on him."

• Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Idk, Saleh was missing 2 $15m a year players due to our dead cap from players he had no part of. Not to mention the crippling amount of injuries. I get fans are upset, we need to see improvement this year for sure. I just think there is more than just "he was the coach and everything is on him."

imo their issues went beyond injuries and the like..

1 hour ago, Bruce Harper said:

One might wonder why he would consider coaching the Jets. But one might REALLY wonder why he might want to coach the Bears.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I don’t think he does, but there is an actual connection there, if you squint. He grew up in Naperville and was a scab player for the Bears in 1987.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I don’t think he does, but there is an actual connection there, if you squint. He grew up in Naperville and was a scab player for the Bears in 1987.

This actually makes a lot of sense because people that grew up in Naperville love to tell people that they are from Chicago even though they most certainly are not.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

And Becton was the right pick.  Joe went for a hall of fame talent left tackle in becton over a solid/limit upside RT in wirfs.  Will it work out, we will see.  But it was 100% the right pick. 

In real time I said that I would’ve taken Wirfs but I had to appreciate JD’s swing for the HoF fences with Becton. I haven’t changed my mind on that. But if Becton fails to reach that potential or, instead, eats himself out of the league, he obviously wasn’t the right pick. 

19 minutes ago, slats said:

In real time I said that I would’ve taken Wirfs but I had to appreciate JD’s swing for the HoF fences with Becton. I haven’t changed my mind on that. But if Becton fails to reach that potential or, instead, eats himself out of the league, he obviously wasn’t the right pick. 

Absolutely.  This is a big year for Becton.  But we could not have asked for better news about him then what we just got.  I think he will be a much better fit on the right side and with him and vera-tucker on that side, watch out.  Imagine those 2 beohemeths pulling and coming downhill at linebackers, corners and safeties.  Chunk yardage in the run game baby!

Run right!

14 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

The team was never gonna be good last year. Rookie head coach, OC, QB, new systems on both sides of the ball. It was destined to be ugly. I suspect we all care why they sucked which is why we spend time here discussing it. I describe last year as a 20 game exhibition season because I believe that’s what it was. Everyone was learning on the job, including the primary teachers. The decision not to bring in CBs was certainly by design. They wanted to throw the kids into the fire and see what they had. They made another, different decision this offseason when they replaced both starting CBs. Seems they’re learning on the job. 

14 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

I agree that they were in a little over their heads last year. They came in cocky and smart and wound up learning that it’s an uphill battle chasing the losing mentality out of a haunted training facility. There were definitely times where they looked overwhelmed. 

The entire focus needs to be different this year if they’re going to succeed. The systems are installed. Last year’s rookies are helping to teach this year’s rookies and new additions what’s expected. The coaches, particularly Saleh, has to shift from teaching them these systems to emphasizing closing out games. He needs to raise his intensity level on the sidelines. I do think they feel the pressure. Some of it may be unfair as the stink from Maccagnan, Gase, and Darnold still permeates thru the fan base and media, but it’s theirs now. This is why they were trying to trade for a top WR and why they traded up twice to land specific players in the draft; they need to win now. I believe they know it. 

I like JD a lot and want to see him succeed. I’m a big fan of his process, but he needs to get results. This is his coach and his QB. They have to -at least- make that Vegas number look dumb. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

The team was never gonna be good last year. Rookie head coach, OC, QB, new systems on both sides of the ball. It was destined to be ugly. I suspect we all care why they sucked which is why we spend time here discussing it. I describe last year as a 20 game exhibition season because I believe that’s what it was. Everyone was learning on the job, including the primary teachers. The decision not to bring in CBs was certainly by design. They wanted to throw the kids into the fire and see what they had. They made another, different decision this offseason when they replaced both starting CBs. Seems they’re learning on the job.

There were other things that were by design that I think maybe their egos got ahead of reality

switching to zone blocking - they were ill prepared for that and it was obvious it took weeks for them to get better.  Maybe they could have eased into that somehow as they almost got their QB killed?

switched to 4-3 - this team has been in 3-4 for like forever and they switched over night - not too mention LB and safety play.  Again could they not have tried to ease into that as well cause it obviously did not work and this goes beyond personal.

so my point it wasn't just decisions on personal but scheme and other decisions like that

now I dont totally blame them for everything since with CBA it definitely prohibits a lot of the practice you need to make such major changes like this prior to season but they should have known this upfront or maybe it was superman ego thing that blew up in their face 1x a week when they had to explain the loss to cameras and when they did they brought up the same excuses you do now..

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

switching to zone blocking - they were ill prepared for that and it was obvious it took weeks for them to get better.  Maybe they could have eased into that somehow as they almost got their QB killed?

switched to 4-3 - this team has been in 3-4 for like forever and they switched over night - not too mention LB and safety play.  Again could they not have tried to ease into that as well cause it obviously did not work and this goes beyond personal.

They were hired to implement these systems. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a coaching staff easing a new system in. It’s always, this is the new system, learn it. They did not have all the personnel in place to run them last year, this is true. After a second offseason, I think the only positions fans are concerned about are the LBs and OT. CB and TE were both a wasteland last year and this year look like strengths of the team. You can call them excuses if you want, but I’d prefer to call it the circumstances surrounding the huge undertaking they were determined to accomplish. There aren’t a lot of excuses left this year. Jets are in the most improved conversation around the league, they need to convert that into wins this year. 

1 minute ago, slats said:

They were hired to implement these systems. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a coaching staff easing a new system in. It’s always, this is the new system, learn it. They did not have all the personnel in place to run them last year, this is true. After a second offseason, I think the only positions fans are concerned about are the LBs and OT. CB and TE were both a wasteland last year and this year look like strengths of the team. You can call them excuses if you want, but I’d prefer to call it the circumstances surrounding the huge undertaking they were determined to accomplish. There aren’t a lot of excuses left this year. Jets are in the most improved conversation around the league, they need to convert that into wins this year. 

yep that is all im saying - they are out of excuses so they better get their sh*t together before the 1st game of this season.... or they are ******* fired!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

yep that is all im saying - they are out of excuses so they better get their sh*t together before the 1st game of this season.... or they are ******* fired!

I don’t know if any team has their **** together before week one any more, lol. They’re still adding multiple starters on each side of the ball. Could be another slow start. This is why I was happy the Jets didn’t open against a division opponent this year. Week 5, I want to see them beat the fish. By the end of the year, it would be nice if most us seemed to be under the impression that they’re headed in the right direction. I think it would have to be treacherously bad for them to fire a second coaching staff after just two years. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

I don’t know if any team has their **** together before week one any more, lol. They’re still adding multiple starters on each side of the ball. Could be another slow start. This is why I was happy the Jets didn’t open against a division opponent this year. Week 5, I want to see them beat the fish. By the end of the year, it would be nice if most us seemed to be under the impression that they’re headed in the right direction. I think it would have to be treacherously bad for them to fire a second coaching staff after just two years. 

I don't expect a superbowl team here but at the very least they need to get the zone blocking down and stop the stunts to give Zack, Hall, and MC a fighting chance and stop embarrassing themselves....everyone seems so bewildered they are always a target of the media and rest of the league because they are failing to execute the basic stuff...that my friend has a lot to do with coaching , every team has injuries, b rated players, and issues to deal with yet a lot of those teams find a way to get some respect..

Payton can run both sides of the ball; on the other hand, defensive-minded Saleh had one of the worst D for the Jets in years and solely depends on Lafleur/staff to run the offense. 
I acknowledge that is too early for Saleh's final judgment, but at the moment I have more faith in LaFleur than him. 
Payton will never coach the Jets. 

Let’s see how Payton does with 5th string UDFA cornerbacks before saying he knows more about defense than Saleh.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app