Jets activate stealth black helmet

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

Absolutely. It's right up there with the Colts' uniform.

One of my all time favorites. Just classic. Every time I see them, I’m reminded that I wish the Jets never changed their uniforms, either. Jets and Colts were the only teams with a single color, and there was something cool about that. 

I think the Raiders’ are great, too, but black is their identity. Every team in the league adding black to their colors diminishes the black of teams like them and the Steelers. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Black is not our color.

Black is every teams color, because black is the most marketable color for gear sales.

Adding the color black to uniforms that never had it (like the Jets) went out in the 1990s with Zubaz pants and gansta rap.

Selling gear to the punters never goes out of style.

Typical of the Jets to bring it back.

Typical of every team in sports, near enough.

My god, we had our best years as a franchise either using or honoring our original Jets (Joe Namath) uniforms.

Uniforms don't cause winning or losing.  It's purely aesthetics.

Just bring it back already because most fans loved them

Debatable.  

and they were considered one of the best uniforms in all of sports.

Lol, no they weren't.

What we have now is absolute garbage.

Agreed.

But you and I are not likely the demographic the NFL or the Jets cares about.

10-24 is.  And they have different tastes than 40, 50, 70 year olds do.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Black is every teams color, because black is the most marketable color for gear sales.

Selling gear to the punters never goes out of style.

Typical of every team in sports, near enough.

Uniforms don't cause winning or losing.  It's purely aesthetics.

Debatable.  

Lol, no they weren't.

Agreed.

But you and I are not likely the demographic the NFL or the Jets cares about.

10-24 is.  And they have different tastes than 40, 50, 70 year olds do.

Weeb Eubank and Bill Parcells both stated (separately) that the white helmets were best because the green often blended with the Meadowlands turf. Not me saying it, but two HOF coaches. Cant site any data, but I have often heard that our original Jets uniforms were amongst the best in sports. If changing uniforms and adding black is all about profit, how have the NY Yankees and Dallas Cowboys lasted this long selling merchandice? I also dont know anyone, including my teenage nephews and neices who like the current uniforms better than our originals and those we wore in the 1980s. 

25 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Weeb Eubank and Bill Parcells both stated (separately) that the white helmets were best because the green often blended with the Meadowlands turf. Not me saying it, but two HOF coaches.

Cool story.

Cant site any data, but I have often heard that our original Jets uniforms were amongst the best in sports.

They weren't.  I think this claim is pure Jets Fan Myth.    

If changing uniforms and adding black is all about profit, how have the NY Yankees and Dallas Cowboys lasted this long selling merchandice?

Winning titles and/or a very long history of winning titles?

Also, Yankees midnight navy blue and Dallas Navy Blue both may as well be black, as dark as they are.  In the neighborhood, at the very least, to true black.

I also dont know anyone, including my teenage nephews and neices who like the current uniforms better than our originals and those we wore in the 1980s. 

The number of people "you know" is statistically immaterial and irrelevant.

I'm no fan of the current uniforms either, but Nike's marketing dept. knows what sells better than the small number of people you know, or who post on JN.

18 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Regardless it’s a bottom 3-5 uniform all around. Jets, Commanders, Cardinals, Falcons, Broncos. Atlanta at least has a sweet throwback 

Agree on Atlanta.  Love the red helmet.  They never should've gotten away from that.  And they should absolutely bring it back.  Meanwhile the Jets are making the same mistake that Atlanta made years ago (by getting away from their colors).

16 hours ago, Mogglez said:

To some, yes.  Especially to those outside of my age range.  Personally, as someone who is still in that 25-30 demographic, I’d put them at the lower end of “middle of the pack”.  The Tennessee Titans have the worst uniform in the league, hands down, and I think the new Jets uniforms are the best of the bunch that you listed above, even if they aren’t spectacular.  I would also put the Texans, Lions, Seahawks, Jaguars, and Rams below the new ones as well.  Quite frankly, I’m not a fan of the Bears uniforms either, and I know the “classics above all the others” crowd won’t like hearing that, but the color scheme is horrendous.  

I’d probably put these uniforms right around the Ravens and Eagles in ranking.  Now if we were in the Reebok days, when the shade of green wasn’t “baby sh*t green”, I would have said our old ‘fits were a top 5, maybe top 3 uniform.  Since the move to Nike?  Awful, bland, & dated.

I think Jax has the worst uni's.  The Texans aren't very good either.  I still think the Broncos uni's stink too (I much preferred their previous uni's).  Among the best in the NFL I think is Buffalo.  The Jets had great uni's too until Woody/Chris started getting involved in changing them.

15 hours ago, jetsons said:

I think this one looks nice...

image.png.a090f0626fdef0a68eb88cae5ce5de79.png

Really dislike it.  That shade of green looks ridiculous imo against the black.

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

They’re boring as sh*t, lmfao.

Not really sure what about gross dull blue with orange stripes and a “C” on our heads, portrays “Chicago Bears” but whatever, lol.

The Bears have classic uni's that shouldn't be changed.  But I guess older teams keeping alive tradition is not what people want anymore.  I think there's room for both new and old school.  But I'd rather the "new school" be for the newer teams and the older teams with classic uni's/logos should stick with those.  But people today would probably like to tear down Wrigley Field and replace it with a "trendier" ballpark.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:33 AM, RSJ said:

You missed the point. The NFL will lose popularity because not playing defense and having crazy offense is a gimmick that only bumps ratings for so long. Eventually it becomes not as exciting and even unwatchable. Idk how you can say changing uniforms is what fans love. Based on what? The NBAs ratings are horrible and continue to go down. They have been doing this for years and the rating have been falling for years.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I really dislike today's NFL.  I think the sport has really gone downhill but I still watch the Jets.  I used to be able to very easily watch other team's games but, in recent years, I find the sport somewhat tedious and watch less of it.  I remember how excited some people got for that KC/Rams game from a couple of years ago (that crazy high scoring game).  To me, it was an embarrassment for the league.  Similarly, people loved the KC/Buffalo playoff game last year.  While I admit it was kind of entertaining, I thought that was also somewhat of an embarrassment for the league.  The best defense in the league gets shredded in the final couple of minutes of the game?!  And they gave up a FG after letting KC drive down the field in like the final 15 seconds?!

Are the NBA's ratings down btw?  I thought I read something about it gaining in popularity.  Maybe that's from overseas?  Personally, I find the NBA to be nearly unwatchable.  I turned on 1 game of the finals for like 30 seconds before I had to turn it off.  The teams were just jacking up 3's.  What an absolute joke that sport has turned into.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:47 AM, Matt39 said:

in all seriousness calling it"stealth black" is incredibly corny. The Jets marketing is beyond cringe.

Absolutely.  Couldn't agree more.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:49 AM, bla bla bla said:

Jerry Jones and Robert Kraft own stakes in Draft Kings, there is no way crazy offense and scoring is going to go away. 

The NFL is in business to make money, if teams lose money by changing uniforms then they won't do it. 

image.png.28e41b55e504fb3cbaf0777dde68d37d.png

Arena League football used to be laughed at.  Nowadays, the NFL uses it as their model.  Defense did used to win championships.  And fans loved defense.  Nowadays, a "great defense" allows 30+ points in the postseason.  

So many Jets fans who watched the team in the 80s and 90s want the old logo from that era back on the helmet. But what if the team did select it?

It would be calling on a bygone era of the Jets making the playoffs sometimes, and always coming up short. Gastineau in Cleveland? Passing on Marino? Joe Must Go? The Bruce Coslet era? That is what fans want associated with the future of the Jets?

Why is it that some of the same fans that constantly bash this franchise for its past want to longingly return to the logo of that very same past? Is this a Stockholm Syndrome thing?

1 hour ago, SackExchangeNYJ said:

So many Jets fans who watched the team in the 80s and 90s want the old logo from that era back on the helmet. But what if the team did select it?

It would be calling on a bygone era of the Jets making the playoffs sometimes, and always coming up short. Gastineau in Cleveland? Passing on Marino? Joe Must Go? The Bruce Coslet era? That is what fans want associated with the future of the Jets?

Why is it that some of the same fans that constantly bash this franchise for its past want to longingly return to the logo of that very same past? Is this a Stockholm Syndrome thing?

It's a logo.  We like how it looks.  It won't make us play like it's 1986 one way or the other.

There seems to be a ridiculous superstition amongst some fans that a particular logo is magickly "connected" to the era it was used, and that it will somehow be a driving force in reliving that era in the future if we wear it again.

"Wear the 60's old logo, we had our greatest success in it!"

"Don't wear the 80's Logo, we missed out on Marino!".

Logos aren't magical talismans containing all the luck, good or bad, of a previous era.

They are just logos.  Marketing tools.  They're there to look pretty.  And sell hats.

I want to wear the 80's logo because I like how the 80's logo looks more than I like how the 60's logo looks.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Wearing it again has nothing to do with Gastineau in Cleveland. Or passing on Marino. Or morons chanting Joe Must Go. Or the The Bruce Coslet era.  And it certainly won't bring that era back, even if it is 100% better than the last decade has been.

P.S. I find it ironic that you're named after...a thing that only happened while wearing the 1980's logo you claim we have Stockholm Syndrome over, lol.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's a logo.  We like how it looks.  It won't make us play like it's 1986 one way or the other.

There seems to be a ridiculous superstition amongst some fans that a particular logo is magickly "connected" to the era it was used, and that it will somehow be a driving force in reliving that era in the future if we wear it again.

"Wear the 60's old logo, we had our greatest success in it!"

"Don't wear the 80's Logo, we missed out on Marino!".

Logos aren't magical talismans containing all the luck, good or bad, of a previous era.

They are just logos.  Marketing tools.  They're there to look pretty.  And sell hats.

I want to wear the 80's logo because I like how the 80's logo looks more than I like how the 60's logo looks.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Wearing it again has nothing to do with Gastineau in Cleveland. Or passing on Marino. Or morons chanting Joe Must Go. Or the The Bruce Coslet era.  And it certainly won't bring that era back, even if it is 100% better than the last decade has been.

P.S. I find it ironic that you're named after...a thing that only happened while wearing the 1980's logo you claim we have Stockholm Syndrome over, lol.

That is a reasonable answer. 

I have no issue with looking back at the past. Then again, I also don't necessarily take a SOJF attitude of bashing everything about the team's past. My issue is with fans who do this, who rip on the organization's history at every turn, and then wax poetic about the Jets logo that was not associated with a ton of success. That is what I don't get.

8 hours ago, Copernicus said:

Adding the color black to uniforms that never had it (like the Jets) went out in the 1990s with Zubaz pants and gansta rap.

Zubaz should have never went out of style. They were WAY ahead of their time...

1nNj7YU.jpg.b429e5bed7b991daa12368dcc98e54ce.jpg

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Arena League football used to be laughed at.  Nowadays, the NFL uses it as their model.  Defense did used to win championships.  And fans loved defense.  Nowadays, a "great defense" allows 30+ points in the postseason.  

With revenues as high as they are, it will never go back. The NFL has a gold mine with Redzone too.