What was the reason you became a Jets fan?

On 7/22/2022 at 4:44 PM, Joejet said:

I think it would be interesting to see why everyone became Jets fans; was it a family tradition, a certain event like the Super Bowl, was it a certain player, or maybe you just have masochistic tendencies?

I will start with I became a Jets fan at 12 years old when they drafted Joe Namath. I have remained a loyal and long suffering fan since.

Dad was a fan.  Where I live everyone is a Bills or Giants fan but for some reason we had a group of Jets fans all through high school.  One buddy's kids middle name is Jet.  I was born in 74 so my earliest sports memory is watching the AFC championship with my Dad while he yelled at "Richard Stink" as he threw those 3 interceptions against the 'fins.  Then I was in the NFL SuperPro Club at some point in the early 80's.  I still have the stickers with the old Jets green helmet because I picked the Jets as my favorite team.  Man, it all seems so much more innocent now.  I feel bad for the existence I have brought my kids into! 

And Dad only picked the Jets because his father and my uncle (13 months older) liked the Yankees and Giants, so Jets and Mets for me! 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Origen said:

Dad was a fan.  Where I live everyone is a Bills or Giants fan but for some reason we had a group of Jets fans all through high school.  One buddy's kids middle name is Jet.  I was born in 74 so my earliest sports memory is watching the AFC championship with my Dad while he yelled at "Richard Stink" as he threw those 3 interceptions against the 'fins.  Then I was in the NFL SuperPro Club at some point in the early 80's.  I still have the stickers with the old Jets green helmet because I picked the Jets as my favorite team.  Man, it all seems so much more innocent now.  I feel bad for the existence I have brought my kids into! 

And Dad only picked the Jets because his father and my uncle (13 months older) liked the Yankees and Giants, so Jets and Mets for me! 

One of the constants I get from reading these is our fathers were borderline raving lunatics while watching this team.

So in essence, we have become them.

honestly would not want it any other way- except for more winning seasons.