Roquan Smith may be available

Now Im not one for handing out monster contracts especially to players at non-premium positions.  And we probably could not afford it w/ all the money we are paying CJ.  But one of the best linebackers in the league may be available at a position of tremendous need for us.

I like the idea of taking a stud LB in next years draft.  But trading for Roquan Smith would change the entire outlook of this defense right now.

I vote no.  

Thoughts?

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Do it! 

You'd have to trade a 1st round pick and make Smith the highest paid linebacker in the league.  Obviously it makes the D so much better but there will be alot of ramifications regarding our flexibility moving forward.

I’d sure as sh*t rather trade for Smith than a safety like Bates.

Mosley is as good as gone after this season and it’s not like we’re sporting a strong LB group as it is.

Smith could be the leader of the front seven for the next 6-8 years and is a legitimate all-pro just hitting the prime of his career.

• Upvote 3

Just now, Untouchable said:

I’d sure as sh*t rather trade for Smith than a safety like Bates.

Mosley is as good as gone after this season and it’s not like we’re sporting a strong LB group as it is.

Smith could be the leader of the front seven for the next 6-8 years and is a legitimate all-pro just hitting the prime of his career.

Would def help the run D.  But you are going to have to give up major draft capital and pay him a ton.  Its probably a move we would make next year but I still think we are a year away from making a move like this.

• Upvote 1

Meh... hard pass.  Are you the 2nd coming of Macc?

We're in yr2 of rebuild let's just get to the end of it, do our SWOT analysis then and have enough resources to do something about it. 

Rather than sign a high $ non premium guy based off of paper that says we should be good at most of the premium spots. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, PorP said:

Meh... hard pass.  Are you the 2nd coming of Macc?

We're in yr2 of rebuild let's just get to the end of it, do our SWOT analysis then and have enough resources to do something about it. 

Rather than sign a high $ non premium guy based off of paper that says we should be good at most of the premium spots. 

I agree.  Id love to use our 1st next year to take the best LB in the draft.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

I haven’t paid much attention to him, but pff sure isn’t a fan 

6C7E7ADC-5DB2-4756-8F3B-B62D6C03FA89.png

i feel like i haven’t found off ball linebacker yet besides leonard and Warner.. that pff actually grades well.

• Upvote 1

If we were guaranteed to win close to 10 games I would do it in a heartbeat. But if Wilson struggles, there’s still a good chance that we are drafting in the top five. Not willing to trade that type of capital for a linebacker. 

• Upvote 2

I guess I can see it like this: If we're going to use our 1st round pick next season to draft a top LBer, then we can give up that pick now for Roquan. So it comes down to the money more than draft cap. And if we can just move the money for CJ over to Roquan, well there you go.

Problem is we're going to be in CAP HELL in 2 years, so now might not be the time to add ANOTHER high cap player to our roster. If we can get a great LBer in the 1st round next year for almost free for 4 years, we can move that CJ dough into keeping our own stars (Quinne, Becton (I know), Zack (I know), plus any of our top draft picks that work out (Moore, Sauce, Garrett, Jermain, Hall, and maybe a few others). Those 2nd big contracts come up pretty quick.

I agree with pass.

who knows what this defense is going to be and the likely hood that it struggles at least early on is pretty good.

see what we have and if the defense progresses throughout the year, then use the draft.

• Upvote 1

He’s a lot like Mosley in that he’s been a 3-4 ILB for his entire career, and now the Bears (like the Jets last year) are transitioning to a 4-3. I would not see that as a sure fire upgrade. And I don’t see JD trading anything like a first round pick for a LB of any sort. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

If we were guaranteed to win close to 10 games I would do it in a heartbeat. But if Wilson struggles, there’s still a good chance that we are drafting in the top five. Not willing to trade that type of capital for a linebacker. 

Yeah.  I agree with this logic.  

Too many unknowns right now and too early in the rebuild by a season to consider this.  

• Upvote 1

Have to see how Zach progresses before sending out #1 draft picks for a linebacker who is going to cost a ton of cash with no guarantee his presence propels the defense into a top 5 unit Gotta pass on Smith 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Now Im not one for handing out monster contracts especially to players at non-premium positions.  And we probably could not afford it w/ all the money we are paying CJ.  But one of the best linebackers in the league may be available at a position of tremendous need for us.

I like the idea of taking a stud LB in next years draft.  But trading for Roquan Smith would change the entire outlook of this defense right now.

I vote no.  

Thoughts?

Hold my beer

19E539F9-6A1A-4186-9BEB-E5151DC28D76.thumb.jpeg.c4f3fb73f33361ae1acbd628dc8ea37d.jpeg

6 minutes ago, GangGreened said:

We are on the cusp of 3 (at least) Superbowls in the next decade and impatient Jets fans wanna go and trade for Roquan Smith. Thankfully JD knows better than this. TYJDTY.

Surprisingly, most jet fans seem to be a pass on this.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You'd have to trade a 1st round pick and make Smith the highest paid linebacker in the league.  Obviously it makes the D so much better but there will be alot of ramifications regarding our flexibility moving forward.

F that 

• Upvote 1

Not for a LBer.

Draft one next year.

Also I’d like Mosley to get restructured rather than cut.  2023 contact is for $18 mill, only $3.5  guaranteed.  Give him $7 guaranteed and chance for $10.5 total with incentives.  He’s good and is an outstanding team guy.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I've been drinking pretty heavily. am I reading this correctly? Joe w. Namath wants to make a trade for a LB? For a first round pick?

I must have been roofied.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA.  No, I am a pass.  But for the guys looking to trade for deebo, tyrek etc, I am surprised u are not all over this.  

3 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA.  No, I am a pass.  But for the guys looking to trade for deebo, tyrek etc, I am surprised u are not all over this.  

Tyreek is a unique situation in terms of for/against with the off field problems he’s had but in general WR >>> off ball LB from a positional value standpoint and I believe you threw out a one and a three for a potential Smith trade and the Hill trade that was on the table didn’t include a one.

• Upvote 1

I'm not trading away a 1st for Smith.

I prefer we trade for Bates than Smith. But would not mind giving up a 2nd for either player. If a 2nd is not enough for either player, than it's a pass for me.

I'm of the view that the Jets are 2-4 players away from being contenders assuming Zach is the real deal. And we have to work under the assumption Zach is good. LB, FS, swing tackle, and an additional DT are the missing pieces. 

• Upvote 1