Roquan Smith may be available

48 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

HAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHHA.  No, I am a pass.  But for the guys looking to trade for deebo, tyrek etc, I am surprised u are not all over this.  

Big difference between Deebo/Tyreek and Smith. Deebo and Hill would have made Zach's life much easier. Those of us that wanted those two players didn't just want to rush the rebuild. We wanted them because of the positive impact they would have on Zach's game. Smith plays a non-premium position. Not worth a 1st and a big contract.

• Upvote 3

IMO it's not a JD move to spend big on a non premium position.  Especially if you also have to give up high draft capital to do it.  JD likes to be the seller in these situations...not the buyer.

If a Kwon Alexander or a Riley Reiff don't sign with the Jets.  JD will look for opportunities with TC cuts and waiver pick ups to fill those spots as backups with veterans that have starting experience.  And address areas evaluated as weaknesses at season's end in next year's FA-draft.  

• Upvote 1

I've been a big Roquan Smith fan since his Bulldog days.  I've watched him enough in the NFL to say this:  He's good, not great, as an NFL linebacker.  Not the dominant player I'd hoped he'd turn into.  He had to bulk up for the NFL, and while he still fairly fast, it's not the elite speed and quickness that made him a high draft pick.

As a free agent, I'd be interested.  In a trade scenario where the Bears view him as a star...no way.

• Upvote 2

On 7/25/2022 at 2:12 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Now Im not one for handing out monster contracts especially to players at non-premium positions.  And we probably could not afford it w/ all the money we are paying CJ.  But one of the best linebackers in the league may be available at a position of tremendous need for us.

I like the idea of taking a stud LB in next years draft.  But trading for Roquan Smith would change the entire outlook of this defense right now.

I vote no.  

Thoughts?

You do not. I repeat. Do not trade a 1st round pick right now if you are JD, not for Roquan Smith. This team does not have a proven franchise QB, it does not have a proven franchise Pass Rusher, it does not have a proven franchise receiver, it does not have a proven franchise OT. This is not a winning team. Not yet.

So we cannot give away first round picks, even if its for a stud LB. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

You do not. I repeat. Do not trade a 1st round pick right now if you are JD, not for Roquan Smith. This team does not have a proven franchise QB, it does not have a proven franchise Pass Rusher, it does not have a proven franchise receiver, it does not have a proven franchise OT. This is not a winning team. Not yet.

So we cannot give away first round picks, even if its for a stud LB. 

Would you be ok if we spent, lets say the 17th pick in the draft next year on a stud LB?

• Haha 1

I’d have no issue making a trade for Smith if the price was right. Let’s try to win by any means necessary. He’d be a big upgrade and as far as I remember, Mosely is cuttable after this season. So if we have the room now, why the hell not?

This isn't the position or the guy to make a big push for right now IMO.

LB is a clear need position for the Jets and it's improvement has likely been purposely delayed as the Jets have had to endure an extra year or so with CJ Mosley's untradeable contract.  They've tried to put some bandaids and take some shots at converted Safeties, Quinnen's brother, etc.  But, I think this next offseason is where they do the kind of double-dip they've done at other positions by both signing a guy and drafting one.  Saleh wants his next Fred Warner that he had in San Francisco.  I think the Jets try to Draft a talented and capable leader at MLB on Day 2 next year in the 2nd or 3rd round after signing a veteran OLB in FA.

LB is really the one unit of the team that hasn't had any significant resources thrown at it since JD got here.  I think that changes in 2023.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Would you be ok if we spent, lets say the 17th pick in the draft next year on a stud LB?

Not really. Ok, let me rephrase that. I'd be ok if we did it next offseason. We need to know what we have in Zach, what we have in Becton/Fant, what we have in this WR corps (if not Wilson, then Moore or the group as a whole) and what we have in in our Edge group (if not JJ then Lawson). These are CRITICAL positions that will need to be addressed ahead of LB with ANY first round pick, IMHO. 

So, lets say its the offseason and we feel pretty comfortable at those positions. We feel like we're going to stick with Zach as he is progressing nicely, we feel like one of or both Fant/Becton can be a legit OT and we have a plan for that position, we feel like the WR core has legit studs in Moore and Wilson, we feel like JJ has some real promise and Lawson can stay healthy and be a true menace off the edge...yes, by all means give up the 17th pick (or higher) for a stud LB like Smith. BTW- if the above were to materialize that would also mean the Jets are on their way to being a winning Franchise. That is the recipe for success and once you are at that level I think it is ok to start to forfeit some draft capital for immediate gains.   

On 7/25/2022 at 5:22 PM, Untouchable said:

Mosley is as good as gone after this season and it’s not like we’re sporting a strong LB group as it is.

Mosley, Corey Davis, Carl Lawson, and John Franklin Myers could all be gone easily for just over $5 million in dead cap space and a savings of over $50 million.  Everyone is talking about trading Mims, but if he shines, it might be better to keep him and trade Corey Davis.  I think Mosely will be gone if he doesn't restructure, and LB will be a priority next year.  If Clemons, Johnson, and Martin bring a good pass rush, Lawson could be shown the door.  The jury is out on JFM.  He might be worth keeping around now that he will be playing more his natural position.