Tyreek Hill: Why he chose Tua over Zach Wilson

Bronx

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

What makes Hill so good is his ability  to make a cut and flat out burn. Nobody runs this guy down. Wilson doesn't  have that kind of ability therfore Wilson most likely won't  be the kind of WR that can score from anywhere as Hill is. That is what I was implying 

I get what you’re saying and that’s what makes Hill such a threat.  But a lot of it is his ability to get separation and Mahomes hitting him in stride anywhere on the field too.  I also think we may need to see Wilson play before proclaiming that he can’t score from anywhere on the field.  

It's always a hoot watching posters who desperately wanted a guy (when he was available) later claim they never wanted him at all, call him a scumbag, say he sucks, lol.  Good times, like clockwork.

Tua is indeed a reasonably accurate QB, with a career 66%+ completion rate, and over 67% in 2021, good for 7th best in the NFL last year.

But his INT% is quite high, at 2.6%, not far from Zach's own 2.9%. 

And his YPA is towards the bottom of the league, at 6.8, good for 25th in the NFL last year.

And his lack of availability is well known, missing time in both his two NFL seasons so far.

We'll see if the add of this WR can help convert Tua from the mostly dink-n-dunk of his career so far to a more productive passer to go with that high completion percentage.  He certainly cannot complain about weapons, Hill and Waddle are about as good a 1-2 as any QB could ask for, talent and ability wise.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Isn't it great seeing our fans say they are happy the most dynamic WR in the league is playing for a rival and not us. I'm sure Fin fans are really upset he is on their team. 

Fish gave up picks #29 & #50 this year, and 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks next year plus a four year, $120M extension for Hill. The deal the Jets had on the table was #35, #38, & #69 for Hill + #103. Acquiring Hill would’ve been a bold move, but that’s a lot to give up for a 28 year old receiver who’s game is all about speed. Losing those picks means no Garrett Wilson (obviously) and almost certainly no Breece Hall. They probably either take Jermaine Johnson at #10 or try to trade down… ? 

Hill’s contract is something of a mirage, as there’s no guaranteed money after 2023 and he’ll never see the final year’s $45M payout, so it’s somewhat manageable. I’m not at all convinced the Jets would’ve been in a better place, though. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not at all convinced the Jets would’ve been in a better place (with Hill).

+1

I preferred no "big name" trades (no Hill, no Deebo) consistently this offseason.  We're not a team in a position where that is worthwhile.

And I strongly desired both Wilson at WR and Hall at RB.  Two studs IMO that can grow with our young QB, presuming he isn't poop.

So personally, I'm very glad we are where we are.  Preseason will be quite exciting to watch this year.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

I preferred no "big name" trades (no Hill, no Deebo) consistently this offseason.  We're not a team in a position where that is worthwhile.

And I strongly desired both Wilson at WR and Hall at RB.  Two studs IMO that can grow with our young QB, presuming he isn't poop.

So personally, I'm very glad we are where we are.  Preseason will be quite exciting to watch this year.

Yeah, Jets now have Wilson and Hall under contract for four years for a good deal less than what the fish will pay Hill over the next two years. I’m content with the potential those guys bring vs. a truly talented scumbag like Tyreek. 

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

+1

I agree. 

On top of everything else, these "big name" trades tend to speed up the rebuild process.  Like when they got Favre in 2008.  They create a mandate and add a ton of pressure.  Sometimes that is a good thing, but these guys have not exactly been thriving under it.  They will have to win soon enough.  When you make a big deal like this, it becomes the reason you succeed or fail, whereas if they win now the thought will be the rebuild is working and everybody will get credit.

42 minutes ago, slats said:

Fish gave up picks #29 & #50 this year, and 4th, 5th, and 6th round picks next year plus a four year, $120M extension for Hill. The deal the Jets had on the table was #35, #38, & #69 for Hill + #103. Acquiring Hill would’ve been a bold move, but that’s a lot to give up for a 28 year old receiver who’s game is all about speed. Losing those picks means no Garrett Wilson (obviously) and almost certainly no Breece Hall. They probably either take Jermaine Johnson at #10 or try to trade down… ? 

Hill’s contract is something of a mirage, as there’s no guaranteed money after 2023 and he’ll never see the final year’s $45M payout, so it’s somewhat manageable. I’m not at all convinced the Jets would’ve been in a better place, though. 

I kind of agree with the not in a better place only becaise we would not have gotten Hall. Based on the O as we know it, having 2 backs like Hall and Carter are key components and if Hall can make an immediate  impact as most rook RB's do in the league,  it will certainly help make this point. I just think it's  silly that fans think not getting this guy was a good thing. Having Hill on the team would have made the WR's on this team scary. 

Gonna be very interesting to see how this plays out. Feels like it could be a very explosive situation brewing down there. Maybe it’s because he’s in Miami that we’re seeing it but I don’t think the other bigtime players who got traded are making news all the time like he is - and he never made any news in KC. Feels like the beginning of a problem now that he got paid like he did

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

So is this your answer when someone points out you made a mistake?

No just to those who just don’t or won’t admit they’ve made the mistake and feel the need to bludgeon a topic to death.  You didn’t say for this one season.  Move on already

15 hours ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

He chose Miami because that's where he wanted to live. 

But just for fun, it will be interesting to see how well his statement, that Tua is the most accurate QB in the NFL, ages over time.

- Tua ranked 7th in completion percentage in 2021

- Tua threw 16 TDs and 10 interceptions in 2021

- Tua's passer rating was 18th best in 2021

Like why the majority of people move to Florida....  LOW TAXES.  Had to be a part of it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No just to those who just don’t or won’t admit they’ve made the mistake and feel the need to bludgeon a topic to death.  You didn’t say for this one season.  Move on already

Ok, wait a minute.  How many seasons has Zach played. What else could I possibly be referring to? Did you think I was including  his BYU days? 

5 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Ok, wait a minute.  How many seasons has Zach played. What else could I possibly be referring to? Did you think I was including  his BYU days? 

I said going into this season, one season not long term.  Stop already

4 hours ago, More Cowbell said:

So is this your answer when someone points out you made a mistake?

I don’t change.  I don’t fix it.  I do say “I’m sorry.

If the kids aren’t around, I also see if she’s in the mood to makeup … especially when I don’t understand why she’s mad.  

17 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Cant wait to see the implosion by week 8 from this guy.  Sometimes the best deals are the ones never made.  I am still not convinced Joe D was ever serious about bringing him in.  But if he was, man did we dodge a bullet.

Joe D made an offer that KC accepted, it was basically up to Hill at that point and he picked Miami

8 hours ago, Warfish said:

It's always a hoot watching posters who desperately wanted a guy (when he was available) later claim they never wanted him at all, call him a scumbag, say he sucks, lol.  Good times, like clockwork.

Tua is indeed a reasonably accurate QB, with a career 66%+ completion rate, and over 67% in 2021, good for 7th best in the NFL last year.

But his INT% is quite high, at 2.6%, not far from Zach's own 2.9%. 

And his YPA is towards the bottom of the league, at 6.8, good for 25th in the NFL last year.

And his lack of availability is well known, missing time in both his two NFL seasons so far.

We'll see if the add of this WR can help convert Tua from the mostly dink-n-dunk of his career so far to a more productive passer to go with that high completion percentage.  He certainly cannot complain about weapons, Hill and Waddle are about as good a 1-2 as any QB could ask for, talent and ability wise.  

Gesicki is one of the better pure receiving TEs as well. 

• Upvote 1